SIGNED - Hope Akpan

557 posts
handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

Re: SIGNED - Hope Akpan

by handbags_harris » 03 Feb 2013 20:14

SPARTA Quite how Leigertwood is in that side ahead of Karacan though I don't know.

Because he's a better player. You watch the next time Karacan plays, yeah he runs around a hell of a lot, but seriously if a player runs around as much as Karacan does then you have to question their positioning. Karacan for me is all too often bypassed, or has been ill-disciplined in his ball-chasing and is then out of position. Leigertwood is invariably extremely well positioned to win the ball, although of course when he wins it it's questionable what he then does. But I'd rather have a player who can win it and then potentially lose it than a player who can't win it at all...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Feb 2013 21:03

handbags_harris
SPARTA Quite how Leigertwood is in that side ahead of Karacan though I don't know.

Because he's a better player. You watch the next time Karacan plays, yeah he runs around a hell of a lot, but seriously if a player runs around as much as Karacan does then you have to question their positioning. Karacan for me is all too often bypassed, or has been ill-disciplined in his ball-chasing and is then out of position. Leigertwood is invariably extremely well positioned to win the ball, although of course when he wins it it's questionable what he then does. But I'd rather have a player who can win it and then potentially lose it than a player who can't win it at all...

Agree with this, Karacan is not really a better passer and he certainly chases the ball too much getting out of position and leaving gaps where he's just come from. He has helped us by padding out midfield into a three and adding pace, but he's not an answer long term.

He gets away with it in the Championship because the players don't have the awareness, passing and movement to take advantage of it.

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 03 Feb 2013 22:07

Ian Royal
handbags_harris

Agree with this, Karacan is not really a better passer and he certainly chases the ball too much getting out of position and leaving gaps where he's just come from. He has helped us by padding out midfield into a three and adding pace, but he's not an answer long term.

He gets away with it in the Championship because the players don't have the awareness, passing and movement to take advantage of it.

Completely agree. Noticeable against Chelsea in the week.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 04 Feb 2013 11:49

Brilliant brilliant 300k spent and a great future with us. Even if we do go down it is a step up in his career still. Guaranteed profit if he was to ever leave us to go on to better things.

He sometimes had more time on the ball than what he thought and maybe was panicking a little more than he would if it was a League 1 match for Crawley but that is really picking out pety points. For him to walk in the way he has and to perform like that is brilliant and I am sure he would have taken inspiration from Alfie too!

He is only going to get better I know its only one game but why people were slating this is beyond me Mcdermott has delievered on the transfer front again it looks like.

Talking about Legs lets face it he is not and never will be technically as good as the other players around him. However I have noticed the past couple of games that although he is breaking up play brilliantly he seems to be guilt of gifting the ball back straight away or he will have a heavy touch. We have been lucky not to be punished yet from this but we will be soon. Think this is something Brian needs to get him to work on at the training ground if possible. Other than that I am loving the way our midfield is beginning to shape up.

In Akpan I believe we have our own Sissoko very similar in terms of their physique with Sissoko just being slightly more of a box to box player.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 04 Feb 2013 11:53

Also for a chant (time someone took over the Kitson chant)

Ho-ope Akpan what a bargain what a bargain!

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 04 Feb 2013 11:58

Great first half. Got forward well (indeed was often the linking player between mid and Pog, something we lack when playing Karacan, Ledge and Guthrie as a midfield), good distribution, good energy.

Faded second half, probably due to tiredness as he was all over the pitch for the first 60 mins. Began hoofing it clear even when under no pressure. Hopefully with more prem experience and improved fitness he'll be more assured for the whole match.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 04 Feb 2013 12:16

handbags_harris

im not sure. imo thats the job karacan is given. go out there, rat around and get on their nerves. ledge will sit and mop up if youre left out of position.

hope played well again. yeah he hoofed it under pressure, but i thought before all that he looked confident, assured, strong, intelligent, and was always looking for a forward ball into the strikers/wingers

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 04 Feb 2013 12:45

bracksroyal10 Also for a chant (time someone took over the Kitson chant)

Beats the batman chant my kids' have given him.

dinner dinner dinner dinner dinner dinner dinner dinner Akpan

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 04 Feb 2013 13:35

TFF
bracksroyal10 Also for a chant (time someone took over the Kitson chant)

Beats the batman chant my kids' have given him.

"All we need is Hope
Na na na na na"

To the tune of "All you need is love", Beatles.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 04 Feb 2013 14:19

And so, Sally can wait
She knows it's too late as we're walking on by
Her soul slides away
But don't look Akpan anger
I heard you say

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 04 Feb 2013 14:33

TFF

TBF TFF....that's GENIUS!!!!!!

Wuzzy87

by Wuzzy87 » 04 Feb 2013 14:53

Looks like a steal at 300k!

Also for such a young player, he reads the game well. A few decent interceptions in the first half.

CTFC56

by CTFC56 » 04 Feb 2013 16:09

Obviously as a Crawley fan, we are keeping track of his progress as he is the first player to come out of our club and play in the premier league, which is a great achievement for us and our backroom staff. As you have seen so far, his vision is top notch and when he has fully settled and has more confidence, he can provide killer runs down the middle, but when caught out of possession, he sometimes has the tendency to perform a very rash tackle, hence the 2 red cards and 6 or 7 yellows for us this season. He is also a really nice lad although his scouse accent is a bit of a downer! :D Hope he can help you lot to stay up!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Feb 2013 16:22

A very good start to his career with us.
We haven't seen the reckless tackles so far,in fact we are I believe still the team with the least bookings along with Southampton which is a compliment to two teams battling against relegation.
How he develops will be interesting and I hope that he is allowed to continue with his passing game and not follow our normal hoofball when under pressure.
So far,so good.
Strange isn't it that over the years our cheaper buys tend to do better than our dearer ones.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 04 Feb 2013 17:33

CTFC56 Obviously as a Crawley fan, we are keeping track of his progress as he is the first player to come out of our club and play in the premier league, which is a great achievement for us and our backroom staff. As you have seen so far, his vision is top notch and when he has fully settled and has more confidence, he can provide killer runs down the middle, but when caught out of possession, he sometimes has the tendency to perform a very rash tackle, hence the 2 red cards and 6 or 7 yellows for us this season. He is also a really nice lad although his scouse accent is a bit of a downer! :D Hope he can help you lot to stay up!

Is there no way to read your Crawley Town forums without registering?

Just curious what people are saying about him.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 05 Feb 2013 15:14

Akpan's pass for Le Fondre's first against Chelsea smacked of pure class. If he continues in this manner we have an absolute steal.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 22 Feb 2013 11:58

Brian confirmed he cost £300k.

557 posts