Jason Roberts nearly back

732 posts
Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Jason Roberts nearly back

by Royal Ginger » 11 Aug 2013 15:15

Jason Roberts has given a rough time frame on his return to fitness on twitter:

@smudgerfc: @JasonRoberts30 When will you be fit?”//3-6 Weeks away now...I can see the finish line... http://wp.me/p3ALe5-2L

That puts him back in full training around Brighton, Leeds, Derby, Birmingham time (September), and possibly selectable Doncaster/Millwall-ish in October?

I'm personally of the view that i'd like to see him get a chance as soon as he's ready, but he's a self confessed 4-4-2 man.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Jason Roberts nearly back

by Wycombe Royal » 11 Aug 2013 15:18

What has his magazine preference got to do with anything?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 11 Aug 2013 15:19

Wycombe Royal What has his magazine preference got to do with anything?

Took me a moment.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Aug 2013 17:00

By then I'm rather hoping someone will have made the position their own and we may even have signed a new striker. In which case, he can bloody well earn his place off the bench.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 11 Aug 2013 17:36

Royal Ginger Jason Roberts has given a rough time frame on his return to fitness on twitter:

@smudgerfc: @JasonRoberts30 When will you be fit?”//3-6 Weeks away now...I can see the finish line... http://wp.me/p3ALe5-2L

That puts him back in full training around Brighton, Leeds, Derby, Birmingham time (September), and possibly selectable Doncaster/Millwall-ish in October?

I'm personally of the view that i'd like to see him get a chance as soon as he's ready, but he's a self confessed 4-4-2 man.

Hugely underwhelmed. the messiah is coming

GreaterTorontoRoyal

by GreaterTorontoRoyal » 11 Aug 2013 17:39

windermere_royal
Royal Ginger Jason Roberts has given a rough time frame on his return to fitness on twitter:

the messiah is coming

The Kébé?!?!

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 11 Aug 2013 18:33

Good news, we need more options up top.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 11 Aug 2013 19:57

Great, precious, over the hill c unt is nearly back.

DaveBanana

by DaveBanana » 11 Aug 2013 20:20

He's been fantastic for us in the past and Im looking forward to see what he has to offer

As an aside.. do the feelings of resent toward him by many not entirely justify why many players dont drop down a league? Jason did so, won us promotion, and wasnt exactly shoite in the Prem prior to his injury, and is rewarded with abuse. Why would an ageing star want to do the same?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Aug 2013 20:25

DaveBanana He's been fantastic for us in the past and Im looking forward to see what he has to offer

As an aside.. do the feelings of resent toward him by many not entirely justify why many players dont drop down a league? Jason did so, won us promotion, and wasnt exactly shoite in the Prem prior to his injury, and is rewarded with abuse. Why would an ageing star want to do the same?

basically most Reading fans are ungrateful, herd following pricks

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 11 Aug 2013 20:29

Will be like having a new signing if he can come back and be as good as he has been for us

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 11 Aug 2013 23:10

super darren caskey Will be like having a new signing if he can come back and be as good as he has been for us

I think you may be thinking of Lazarus. Roberts would be at retirement age or 'drop down the leagues' age had he retained a decent level of fitness. As he has just had major surgery, his recovery is the same as any other middle-aged recovery. His Media career is doing well and RFC are a great Pension whilst he is changing careers.

A fit Jason Roberts will be like new signing in the same was as signing Robbie Fowler would!

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Aug 2013 00:11

FridaysGhost
super darren caskey Will be like having a new signing if he can come back and be as good as he has been for us

I think you may be thinking of Lazarus. Roberts would be at retirement age or 'drop down the leagues' age had he retained a decent level of fitness. As he has just had major surgery, his recovery is the same as any other middle-aged recovery. His Media career is doing well and RFC are a great Pension whilst he is changing careers.

A fit Jason Roberts will be like new signing in the same was as signing Robbie Fowler would!

why hello! haven't you fucked off yet, you massive dullard?

Albert Spangler
Hob Nob Regular

by Albert Spangler » 12 Aug 2013 07:40

What I see:

Royal Ginger Jason Roberts has given a rough time frame on his return to fitness on twitter

What Jason Roberts sees:

Royal Ginger Jason Roberts given a rough time on twitter

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 12 Aug 2013 07:53

Nearly back but will breakdown after a few games. That hip will never hold out enough for him to play every week again. We'll be lucky to use him as a regular sub. If we could have a fully fit Jason Roberts again then I think we'd murder this league, but I'm convinced he's finished, sadly.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 12 Aug 2013 08:14

FridaysGhost RFC are a great Pension whilst he is changing careers.

I thought you'd flounced off in a hissy :?

Anyway, RFC are still reaping the millions he earned the club in his first half season. Worth. Every. Penny.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Aug 2013 09:06

leon
DaveBanana He's been fantastic for us in the past and Im looking forward to see what he has to offer

I just feel that he needs to do more to get our fans on side! Maybe he should follow the example of other players who the fans have unconditional love for and once he does get back refuse to play and generally behave like an utter cock end. All this fighting back because he wants to play really isn't doing him any favours in the fans eyes.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Aug 2013 10:11

sandman
leon

I just feel that he needs to do more to get our fans on side! Maybe he should follow the example of other players who the fans have unconditional love for and once he does get back refuse to play and generally behave like an utter cock end. All this fighting back because he wants to play really isn't doing him any favours in the fans eyes.

:lol: you really don't give up do you :wink:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 12 Aug 2013 10:15

SPARTA Nearly back but will breakdown after a few games. That hip will never hold out enough for him to play every week again. We'll be lucky to use him as a regular sub. If we could have a fully fit Jason Roberts again then I think we'd murder this league, but I'm convinced he's finished, sadly.

What are you basing this on?

If he picked up an injury, and it heels then he could play a decent number of games like any other older player coming back from injury.

I'm sure others who have had long term injuries, knee problems, breaks, etc... have recovered and returned.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 12 Aug 2013 10:47

But the older you are, the more susceptible you are to both injuries and recurrences of previous injuries and the recovery time from each injury also increases - it';s harder to regain full fitness as well.

Roberts is now 35, and I fear that anyone who sees him as a season-long answer to our problem of a lack of a striker is clutching at straws here.

He's also building up a nice little media career, and has nothing really to prove in the game - what's his motivation for spending the time and effort regaining full match fitness?

If he recovers enough to play again (and I do think it's a big "if" - footballers' tweets can hardly be classed as "reliable evidence") then I can't see him making more than a handful of appearances/sub roles.

732 posts