No, our squad looks fine
5%
Only if a freebie or bargain presents itself
12%

Total votes: 228
UpTheJunction

Re: Do we really need another striker?

by UpTheJunction » 12 Aug 2013 13:29

I think we do need to 'splash some cash', we should put some offers in even if they do seem ridiculous. There must be a lot of out of favour/soon to be out of favour players in the premiership. Does anyone know the amount of game Matt Fryatt gets for hull these days, they've got Danny Graham on loan this season as well as buying Boyd. I know some of these might sound unrealistic but they are just suggestions:
Becchio - Norwich
Luke Moore - Swansea
Crouch - Stoke (although we do need someone with strength, Which is why we need Roberts fit again)
Lukaku - West Brom (this one is crazy but a loan from Chelsea would be brilliant)
Shola Ameobi - Newcastle Utd

In my opinion all we need now is a strong striker who can score goals and assist as well. Seeing as we haven't spent much on signings so far (I dunno about the wages of those players) but surely it wouldn't hurt to spend up to 8 or 10million.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 12 Aug 2013 13:34

UpTheJunction I think we do need to 'splash some cash', we should put some offers in even if they do seem ridiculous. There must be a lot of out of favour/soon to be out of favour players in the premiership. Does anyone know the amount of game Matt Fryatt gets for hull these days, they've got Danny Graham on loan this season as well as buying Boyd. I know some of these might sound unrealistic but they are just suggestions:
Becchio - Norwich
Luke Moore - Swansea
Crouch - Stoke (although we do need someone with strength, Which is why we need Roberts fit again)
Lukaku - West Brom (this one is crazy but a loan from Chelsea would be brilliant)

In my opinion all we need now is a strong striker who can score goals and assist as well. Seeing as we haven't spent much on signings so far (I dunno about the wages of those players) but surely it wouldn't hurt to spend up to 8 or 10million.

Well said, and the money spent would be a small gamble in return for winning the prize (£100+ mil in the prem?)... With a stiker of the above ilk I would certainly take a punt on us being promoted at 10/1 (well above the odds on offer on the market)

Delboy

Are we really looking for a striker

by Delboy » 13 Aug 2013 08:28

I am sceptical that we are really looking, Anton has not spent any money, I think his father holds the purse strings. Nothing for over a month, vey few rumours. If we do not sign at least one striker we will not stand a Chance of promotion .

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 13 Aug 2013 08:51

I think its all dependant on Pog being taken off our hands...if he isn't then I don't see anyone coming in...maybe the reason why NA had been talking up the last couple of days of window...it may come down to that

stickywhisky

by stickywhisky » 13 Aug 2013 09:22

DOYLERSAROYALER I think its all dependant on Pog being taken off our hands...if he isn't then I don't see anyone coming in...maybe the reason why NA had been talking up the last couple of days of window...it may come down to that

I think it's the other way round, I can't see why we would sell Pog first - we would bring someone in before considering letting him go, we're short enough as it is

PerthPom2013

by PerthPom2013 » 13 Aug 2013 10:13

stickywhisky
DOYLERSAROYALER I think its all dependant on Pog being taken off our hands...if he isn't then I don't see anyone coming in...maybe the reason why NA had been talking up the last couple of days of window...it may come down to that

I think it's the other way round, I can't see why we would sell Pog first - we would bring someone in before considering letting him go, we're short enough as it is

We would never risk bringing another potential high earner in to the club to then find out we have to carry on paying Pogrebnyak's high wages if we can't get rid of him as well!? I think it does all depend on whether or not we can get rid of him and some other fringe players like Legiertwood, Cummings etc.. We only play with one striker up front so I don't think we would think it was the end of the world if we did end up bringing no one in and losing Pogrebnyak. There is always the loan market after 2nd Sept that would help deal with that scenario.
I still have confidence that we will bring someone in but we are never going to spend over the odds for someone and we are obviously leaving it as late as possible to see if we can get a good deal on someone.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 13 Aug 2013 10:20

UpTheJunction I think we do need to 'splash some cash', we should put some offers in even if they do seem ridiculous. There must be a lot of out of favour/soon to be out of favour players in the premiership. Does anyone know the amount of game Matt Fryatt gets for hull these days, they've got Danny Graham on loan this season as well as buying Boyd. I know some of these might sound unrealistic but they are just suggestions:
Becchio - Norwich
Luke Moore - Swansea

Lukaku??? He won't be leaving Chelski

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 13 Aug 2013 10:33

Has anyone suggested Ugwu to join Domz Samuel, Blackman, Roberts, Pog and ALF in the senior side?

With Samuel and Ugwu looking promising is Uche that big of a loss?

I'd like us to sign a striker.

Luke Moore though? :lol:

Davezk

by Davezk » 13 Aug 2013 10:43

Becchio - Norwich
Luke Moore - Swansea

I hate when people suggest players who are unrealistic... Lukaku?!

Why do we have so many fans living in bloody la-la land. Next you'll be saying you want Doyle, Hunt et al back.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 13 Aug 2013 12:23

Sounds like Gozie had a stormer last night.

Why not give him a crack of the whip?

Lets not forget that given half a chance Pog will score.

*Cough he would have scored Alf's chance from Saturday Cough Cough

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 13 Aug 2013 12:43

I really don't see a new striker as the massive priority that some of you guys do tbh. Yes, ideally we'd have a fantastic target man capable of scoring 25 goals a season playing up front, but we have to be realistic in recognising that it's highly unlikely that we'll be able to find a player like that willing to play in the second tier and within any sory of reasonable budget. We have 3 capable first team strikers atm that are competing for one spot (as well as one who may return from injury soon), as well as at least 2 exciting younger players who look like they may be able to make the step up. Hardly cause for panic stations.

If Pog (and his 35k a week) wages leave then perhaps we'll be able to revisit the search, but given the plethora of attacking talent we have in the squad right now..this constant squawking about needing to spunk a load of money on another striker seems pretty daft to me and a is a sign of just how spoilt we've become as a fanbase.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Aug 2013 12:50

HoneyRoastHoax Sounds like Gozie had a stormer last night.

Why not give him a crack of the whip?

Lets not forget that given half a chance Pog will score.

*Cough he would have scored Alf's chance from Saturday Cough Cough

Not sure he would seeing as it took a super save to deny ALF.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 13 Aug 2013 13:20

winchester_royal It's a sign of just how spoilt we've become as a fanbase.

This much is very true....

I think many just feel a quality target man would be the icing on the cake of an already strong squad.

Furthermore, if TSI have the capital available, why wouldn't they invest it now? A deal worth £10m is only a small stake against the potential winnings of a first-time prem return. The only case is if the players are not there to purchase, but the sheer volume of names mooted above suggest that for our budget there are plenty of options - the ball is in our court as to how seriously we pursue them.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 13 Aug 2013 13:38

There's no guarantee of a return on that £10m though, and it's not exactly a small amount of money to put into what can best be described as a risky investment. There are no players out there who would be willing to come to us that we can categorically say will be an improvement on our current bunch, nor will they defitiely score 20 goals to fire us to promotion. The majority of our spending right not is going into the infrastructure. Developing our academy/training ground is considerably more likely to lead to long term success than a risky investment in an expensive striker.

Hopefully a player will come available that we have extensively scouted, believe will make the difference, and is affordable. But anyone who thinks that is a likely or easy scenario to come across is mental imo.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Aug 2013 13:43

Shocked to see this thread is still running!

When we are playing league one Blackman up front as our main choice, (even though I'm sure he'll eventually come good) then yes we need a striker ASAP.

I'm surprised it's only the staggering majority of 82% of fans who share this view and not every fan :shock:

PerthPom2013

by PerthPom2013 » 13 Aug 2013 13:48

I think what happens during the next three games is also obviously going to have a big impact on whether we make a serious offer for anyone before the transfer deadline. But the reality is is that we won't suddenly start scoring for fun and will still be crying out for a decent target man / striker come the beginning of September.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 13 Aug 2013 13:52

It may conceivably be the Samuel & Ugwu are the key here - perhaps NA is just seeing how things go until they're ready to take their chance.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Aug 2013 13:59

A little confused people are saying on one hand we need a striker capable of scoring 20+ goals a season and on the other that we need a target man. I dont know any target man who is going to score 20 goals a season who will come to reading.. I think Dzeko probably scored the most goals for a target man last season and that was 15.. and we can in no way attract/afford a player of his caliber.

So what is it people want? a Finisher or a Target man? I think target men are probably at their best with their back to goal playing it back to creative types then storming the box to force people into air or to challenge the keeper! Pog can and does do that..

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 13 Aug 2013 14:03

NewCorkSeth A little confused people are saying on one hand we need a striker capable of scoring 20+ goals a season and on the other that we need a target man. I dont know any target man who is going to score 20 goals a season who will come to reading.. I think Dzeko probably scored the most goals for a target man last season and that was 15.. and we can in no way attract/afford a player of his caliber.

So what is it people want? a Finisher or a Target man? I think target men are probably at their best with their back to goal playing it back to creative types then storming the box to force people into air or to challenge the keeper! Pog can and does do that..

Pog can, but Pog doesn't.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 13 Aug 2013 14:07

NewCorkSeth Pog can and does do that..

Which is interesting considering he is not playing. He should be our most capable man to be the striker in this system, and proved it a couple of times last season despite being very isolated.

Two questions are raised:

1. Why is he not being picked?

2. Why does he not perform to his best ability when he gets the chance?

313 posts