NH on Radio Berkshire

175 posts
Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

Re: NH on Radio Berkshire

by Extended-Phenotype » 04 Sep 2013 14:58

LoyalRoyalFan
Very much so. How do we determine the right value for a player, that is a puzzler.

Determine whatever value you like. Doesn't mean it's the same as anyone else's, or even the market rate.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 04 Sep 2013 15:03

Sometimes you have to pay over the odds if you want to succeed.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Sep 2013 15:03

Extended-Phenotype Cool. Then it comes back to my original post then; either the club were misleading with their intent, or the intent was there but mistakes were made in the transfer window - targeting the wrong players, not targeting enough players, wrong valuation; doesn't matter - if you say you need/want seven players and only manage three, someone somewhere has f/cked up.

In which case, the club are more than open to some criticism in my opinion.

Which, as I said, I don't think anyone has denied that there's been a failure or that there is room for some criticism. I don't think it's a f/ck up as such, just a reality that you can't always get what you want in a competitive market.

If I don't get the new house I want to buy because someone is willing to pay more for it as their need is more desperate or they've more disposable income to offer a higher price, that's not a f/ck up on my part, it's just the way it goes sometimes.

If I have an adequate 3 bed, and I miss out on the dream 5 bed, it doesn't mean I need to go and buy a 2 bed instead.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Sep 2013 15:12

Problem is you got rid of your 3 bedroom house earlier, let's call it number 10 Hunt Road, under the impression you were going to land your 5 bedroom house that you've now missed out on buying. Leaving you without a house and living on the street rattling a tin begging to rent a room for 90 days.
Last edited by sandman on 04 Sep 2013 17:19, edited 2 times in total.

Cypry

by Cypry » 04 Sep 2013 15:17

Hoop Blah
Extended-Phenotype 2. You don't think they have been misleading? I mean, they must have KNOWN it would have been hard. ("Yes, seven players... bloody hell, why didn't anyone tell me the transfer window was going to be difficult??")

It would only be misleading if they didn't want to, or expect to, get those players in.

Never, as far as I'm aware, have they said WE WILL get x number of players or that they'll spend a certain amount in the transfer window. All they've done is set out what they'd like to do.

They've failed to get all their targets and then didn't want to bring in dross for the sake of bringing in dross. That's not misleading, it's just an unfortunate failure to add (so far) the quality players they were hoping to.

^exactly this - before anyone else accuses the club of telling lies, show me a direct quote where anyone from the club says anything other than "we hope to sign 3 more" or "we would like to add 7 players in the window".

If the club had said, "we will be signing 7 players" then there's a case for saying they've lied, but for simply being open about what they'd like to do they're now being slated left right and centre - next window who could blame them if they simply say nothing...
Last edited by Cypry on 04 Sep 2013 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Sep 2013 15:18

sandman Problem is you got rid of your 3 bedroom house earlier, let's call it Hunt Towers, under the impression you were going to land your 5 bedroom house that you've now missed out on buying. Leaving you living on the street rattling a tin begging to rent a room for 90 days.

I think it's more a case of I sold off some of my non-profit making property portfolio but left myself with more than enough to live in and provide a nice income for my retirement without having to work.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 04 Sep 2013 18:12

Extended-Phenotype Literally any footballer available could be described as valued 'over the odds', if it's you who is setting the 'odds' in the first place.

+1.

LOL @ sycophants trotting out empty phrases such as 'we won't pay over the odds'.

"WE WON'T PAY OVER THE ODDS :!: I AM A BETTER FAN THAN YOU BECAUSE I UNDERSTAND THIS AND APPRECIATE IT UNQUESTIONINGLY AND THE FACT THAT I APPRECIATE IT UNQUESTIONABLY ALSO SHOWS THAT I KNOW MORE ABOUT THE WORLD OF FOOTBALL FINANCE THAN YOU :!: I AM QUITE THE AUTHORITY ON THESE PAGES :!: "

F*ck off and go masturb8 into your RFC duvet covers.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 04 Sep 2013 18:51

floyd__streete
Extended-Phenotype Literally any footballer available could be described as valued 'over the odds', if it's you who is setting the 'odds' in the first place.

+1.

LOL @ sycophants trotting out empty phrases such as 'we won't pay over the odds'.

"WE WON'T PAY OVER THE ODDS :!: I AM A BETTER FAN THAN YOU BECAUSE I UNDERSTAND THIS AND APPRECIATE IT UNQUESTIONINGLY AND THE FACT THAT I APPRECIATE IT UNQUESTIONABLY ALSO SHOWS THAT I KNOW MORE ABOUT THE WORLD OF FOOTBALL FINANCE THAN YOU :!: I AM QUITE THE AUTHORITY ON THESE PAGES :!: "

If you're not going to support the manager then go and support Aldershot.
You're being a disruptive influence. Every mean word you post is a knife slicing at team morale.
:wink:

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 04 Sep 2013 18:59

Tbf, I think floyd has ruined team morale in many previous seasons.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 04 Sep 2013 19:59

floyd__streete

+1.

I know what you are getting at, but anyone who complains about us not buying players who are not worth the money is a bit simple.

If we had about £1 million to spend, and hoped we could get a player for that, but the club wanted £5 million, is not spending £5 million therefore bad business?

We're not blessed with an owner happy to spunk money up the wall in the quest for the premier league. Get used it. It's a bit mundane, but if anyone can't accept it then they might as well go back to supporting the premier league club they supported before Reading started doing well.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 04 Sep 2013 20:02

tmesis
floyd__streete

+1.

I know what you are getting at, but anyone who complains about us not buying players who are not worth the money is a bit simple.

If we had about £1 million to spend, and hoped we could get a player for that, but the club wanted £5 million, is not spending £5 million therefore bad business?

We're not blessed with an owner happy to spunk money up the wall in the quest for the premier league. Get used it. It's a bit mundane, but if anyone can't accept it then they might as well go back to supporting the premier league club they supported before Reading started doing well.

You didn't listen to a word he said did you?
If you think the only two options were 'spend £5 million on a player worth £1 million' or 'do nothing' then maybe you're a bit simple aren't you?

Who the oxf*rd do you think you are jumping to wild assumptions and making stupid accusations about other fans who just happen to have a different opinion to you?
Who's this Premier League club I supported before I went to my first Reading game at the age of 5, 15 years ago, 'before Reading started doing well'?

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 04 Sep 2013 21:02

Not sure whats wrong with you lot.
Many of us on here have supported RFC for many years, been through the bad times in the lower leagues, seen the club gradually progress up to the prem and so feel let down when we get there because of lack of investment. We would normally of accepted that but TSI have come in with all their big bollox ambitions and have so far, badly let us down. They are the ones who have given us false hope so don't have a pop at fans who come on here voicing there dissapointment.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 04 Sep 2013 21:12

P!ssed Off You didn't listen to a word he said did you?
If you think the only two options were 'spend £5 million on a player worth £1 million' or 'do nothing' then maybe you're a bit simple aren't you?

Who the oxf*rd do you think you are jumping to wild assumptions and making stupid accusations about other fans who just happen to have a different opinion to you?
Who's this Premier League club I supported before I went to my first Reading game at the age of 5, 15 years ago, 'before Reading started doing well'?

I don't really care who you are or what your supporting history is.

It's fairly clear that we offered certain amounts for certain players, and they were turned down (or the players wanted higher wages than we saw fit it pay).

Now it could well be that we pay low wages and offer low transfer fees, or it could be that because we have a (supposedly) rich Russian owner, selling clubs are asking more money because they think we can afford it, or it could just be that the players we want aren't for sale, so we get asked a high price to deter us.

Either way we aren't big spenders and we aren't going to spend money we don't have chasing the dream. Get over it.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 04 Sep 2013 21:24

tmesis
P!ssed Off You didn't listen to a word he said did you?

I don't really care who you are or what your supporting history is.

It's fairly clear that we offered certain amounts for certain players, and they were turned down (or the players wanted higher wages than we saw fit it pay).

Now it could well be that we pay low wages and offer low transfer fees, or it could be that because we have a (supposedly) rich Russian owner, selling clubs are asking more money because they think we can afford it, or it could just be that the players we want aren't for sale, so we get asked a high price to deter us.

Either way we aren't big spenders and we aren't going to spend money we don't have chasing the dream. Get over it.

oxf*rd you! You obviously do require people to justify their support for the club otherwise you wouldn't make stupid comments trying to big up yourself as a better fan.
Once again you didn't read what I posted, just like you didn't read what Floyde posted, you just keep trotting out your dull cliches like "spending money we don't have" and "we aren't big spenders".

As I said earlier if you're telling me that the only two options were 'spend £5 million on a player worth £1 million' or 'do nothing' then you're the oxf*rd mug around here.
We didn't have £500K to buy a striker from the lower leagues? You're the simpleton if you believe that's the case.

And don't tell me, or others, to "get over it". who the oxf*rd do you think you are? If you don't want to hear about the transfer window then keep off threads where this is the topic of discussion.

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 04 Sep 2013 21:31

Well if you're happy, lucky you, it's not just the lack of investment, it's still a matter of us letting our best players go.
As far as i'm concerned,we will always be little Reading, a selling club

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Sep 2013 21:46

MR. CYNICAL Well if you're happy, lucky you, it's not just the lack of investment, it's still a matter of us letting our best players go.

SHIT!?!?!?!

What happened to Guthrie, ALF, Drenthe and McCarthy!?!?!?!

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 04 Sep 2013 22:21

MR. CYNICAL Not sure whats wrong with you lot.
Many of us on here have supported RFC for many years, been through the bad times in the lower leagues, seen the club gradually progress up to the prem and so feel let down when we get there because of lack of investment. We would normally of accepted that but TSI have come in with all their big bollox ambitions and have so far, badly let us down. They are the ones who have given us false hope so don't have a pop at fans who come on here voicing there dissapointment.

AZ gave McD a chance (who knows whether he had money to spend and chose not to).Relegation was an almost given when NA rocked up. If we get promoted this season how the oxf*rd have we been badly let down?

Some of the shit posted on here really is beyond belief.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 04 Sep 2013 22:28

MR. CYNICAL Well if you're happy, lucky you, it's not just the lack of investment, it's still a matter of us letting our best players go.

Who exactly aren't a selling club? Only the predictable handful of big clubs in each of Europe's top divisions are not really selling clubs.

Football is just a food chain, and I hate to say it but even if we were a bigger spending rock solid Premier League team, our best players would still be picked off like ripe fruit. All that's really happened is that we've moved slighter higher up the chain than we had been for most of our history.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Sep 2013 22:30

IR's definition of a selling club:
A club that actively touts its players around to sell for profit so as to allow it to make up for otherwise unmanageable losses.

RFC has been a selling club for precisely two of the last 20 years. And even then, we damned well did it on our terms.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 04 Sep 2013 22:32

ayjaydee
Some of the shit posted on here really is beyond belief.

True. People are sounding like Arsenal fans. I don't want us to become a bigger club if it means fans starting to feel they are entitled to high expenditure. The only mistake here was telling the fans we'd be getting more players in (we still might) and then not being able to do the deals. Spending money is not the answer: team spirit and grit are the answer, as our last two promotions have shown. I am not into signings like Drenthe, Carrico, Sissoko, if I am honest.

175 posts