NH on Radio Berkshire

175 posts
Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: NH on Radio Berkshire

by Avon Royal » 04 Sep 2013 22:37

facaldaqui
ayjaydee
Some of the shit posted on here really is beyond belief.

True. People are sounding like Arsenal fans. I don't want us to become a bigger club if it means fans starting to feel they are entitled to high expenditure. The only mistake here was telling the fans we'd be getting more players in (we still might) and then not being able to do the deals. Spending money is not the answer: team spirit and grit are the answer, as our last two promotions have shown. I am not into signings like Drenthe, Carrico, Sissoko, if I am honest.

Yeah - screw those fans with their ridiculous concepts of ambition. What are they like eh?

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 04 Sep 2013 22:50

Ian Royal IR's definition of a selling club:
A club that actively touts its players around to sell for profit so as to allow it to make up for otherwise unmanageable losses.

RFC has been a selling club for precisely two of the last 20 years. And even then, we damned well did it on our terms.

Bollocks.

A selling club is a club that persistently loses its players to better perceived clubs.

Arsenal have been perceived as a selling club over the past few years (until Monday night). Have they touted their players about? Probably not, they just didn't have the clout to hang on to them.

I would say we've NOT been a selling club for 2 of the past 20 years.

Latecomer to RFC

by Latecomer to RFC » 04 Sep 2013 23:43

At least I can take comfort in Palace buying 16 players having just reached the PL -they seemed intent on staying up. (Where do they get their money from?) Can some one remind me how many we bought when we were in their position :?:

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 04 Sep 2013 23:48

P!ssed Off
oxf*rd you! You obviously do require people to justify their support for the club otherwise you wouldn't make stupid comments trying to big up yourself as a better fan.
Once again you didn't read what I posted, just like you didn't read what Floyde posted, you just keep trotting out your dull cliches like "spending money we don't have" and "we aren't big spenders".

As I said earlier if you're telling me that the only two options were 'spend £5 million on a player worth £1 million' or 'do nothing' then you're the oxf*rd mug around here.
We didn't have £500K to buy a striker from the lower leagues? You're the simpleton if you believe that's the case.

And don't tell me, or others, to "get over it". who the oxf*rd do you think you are? If you don't want to hear about the transfer window then keep off threads where this is the topic of discussion.

I don't require anyone to justify their support. Just be less of a drama queen about a rather disappointing transfer window.

£5 million or £1 million was an example. I didn't say those were the only two options, or those were the actual figures. I mean, if there's a striker out there who is maybe a bit of a Lita type level of talent, worth about £1 million, but the selling clubs wants more, how much should we pay before you'd say it's not worth it?

Yes, we could no doubt have afforded a lower league striker for £500k. The question is whether there's a lower league striker we could pick up for £500k who'd add much to the team.

I do also think if we were actively looking to bring players in, and didn't manage it, that is a failure, but if our target deals either fall through because players went elsewhere or clubs wouldn't sell, what's the alternative? Just sign anyone?

You can also guarantee that if we had signed a lower league striker for £500k, there'd be a thread on here about how we've signed another shit cheap player and it shows our lack of ambition.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Sep 2013 00:00

Pepe the Horseman Did he mention anything about Gylfi coming back?

Salary at Spurs is over £2 million a year. Therein lies the problem.

Premiership clubs have the cash. QPR received £39 million for finishing bottom last season. This season it's £63 million.

Mid table earns you £90 million.

Money is now ruining the beautiful game.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 05 Sep 2013 01:29

Lower West
Pepe the Horseman Did he mention anything about Gylfi coming back?

Salary at Spurs is over £2 million a year. Therein lies the problem.

Premiership clubs have the cash. QPR received £39 million for finishing bottom last season. This season it's £63 million.

He said all that? :?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 05 Sep 2013 09:43

Lower West Premiership clubs have the cash. QPR received £39 million for finishing bottom last season. This season it's £63 million.

Many said this was good reason to invest more heavily last year.

Short-sighted from the club, whichever way it is dressed up.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 05 Sep 2013 10:33

tmesis

If we had about £1 million to spend, and hoped we could get a player for that, but the club wanted £5 million, is not spending £5 million therefore bad business?

No. It's a 4m low-risk overinvestment with a £120m high-yield outlook.

It's good f/cking pot odds.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Sep 2013 11:47

CayeneMatt
Ian Royal IR's definition of a selling club:
A club that actively touts its players around to sell for profit so as to allow it to make up for otherwise unmanageable losses.

RFC has been a selling club for precisely two of the last 20 years. And even then, we damned well did it on our terms.

Bollocks.

A selling club is a club that persistently loses its players to better perceived clubs.

Arsenal have been perceived as a selling club over the past few years (until Monday night). Have they touted their players about? Probably not, they just didn't have the clout to hang on to them.

I would say we've NOT been a selling club for 2 of the past 20 years.

Then everyone's a selling club and the term is meaningless as you defineit.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Sep 2013 11:48

Latecomer to RFC At least I can take comfort in Palace buying 16 players having just reached the PL -they seemed intent on staying up. (Where do they get their money from?) Can some one remind me how many we bought when we were in their position :?:

No matter how much gets spent and how many players clubs bring in, three still get relegated.

robinsfriday

by robinsfriday » 05 Sep 2013 11:54

Ian Royal
Latecomer to RFC At least I can take comfort in Palace buying 16 players having just reached the PL -they seemed intent on staying up. (Where do they get their money from?) Can some one remind me how many we bought when we were in their position :?:

No matter how much gets spent and how many players clubs bring in, three still get relegated.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 05 Sep 2013 11:56

facaldaqui
team spirit and grit are the answer, as our last two promotions have shown. I am not into signings like Drenthe, Carrico, Sissoko, if I am honest.

Yeah like that Team spirit and grit did us well last season

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Sep 2013 12:00

robinsfriday
Ian Royal

Some people do seem to struggle with it as a concept.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 05 Sep 2013 13:38

Only three promoted as well, no problem with our dynamic strikeforce then :lol: .

Big jizzfest here for NA who was sacked just like McD because his employer thought he wasn't capable of being a premier league manager wow! He got his promotions on the back of Hooper at Scunthorpe and Lambert at Southampton. He is supposed be changing our style and he's only allowed to bring in 3 players none of them a capable forward. One of whom Drenthe is a luxury with the potential to self destruct; another Williams dropped from US squad (attitude problem?) and let go easily by Hoffenheim hasn't started a league game this season; the last one is another in our recent collection of stately old full backs with no pace. Forgive me Mr Hammond if I'm not overwhelmed with our current position or your contribution to it. Not impressed AZ, hardly in the country, looking to swan in with a name signing instead rebuilding a young and hungry team, talking about money you haven't got (waiting till you take the club acounts offshore to Gibraltar perhaps). Not a very impressive start could do better!

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 05 Sep 2013 14:24

tmesis
P!ssed Off
oxf*rd you! You obviously do require people to justify their support for the club otherwise you wouldn't make stupid comments trying to big up yourself as a better fan.
Once again you didn't read what I posted, just like you didn't read what Floyde posted, you just keep trotting out your dull cliches like "spending money we don't have" and "we aren't big spenders".

As I said earlier if you're telling me that the only two options were 'spend £5 million on a player worth £1 million' or 'do nothing' then you're the oxf*rd mug around here.
We didn't have £500K to buy a striker from the lower leagues? You're the simpleton if you believe that's the case.

And don't tell me, or others, to "get over it". who the oxf*rd do you think you are? If you don't want to hear about the transfer window then keep off threads where this is the topic of discussion.

I don't require anyone to justify their support. Just be less of a drama queen about a rather disappointing transfer window.

£5 million or £1 million was an example. I didn't say those were the only two options, or those were the actual figures. I mean, if there's a striker out there who is maybe a bit of a Lita type level of talent, worth about £1 million, but the selling clubs wants more, how much should we pay before you'd say it's not worth it?

Yes, we could no doubt have afforded a lower league striker for £500k. The question is whether there's a lower league striker we could pick up for £500k who'd add much to the team.

I do also think if we were actively looking to bring players in, and didn't manage it, that is a failure, but if our target deals either fall through because players went elsewhere or clubs wouldn't sell, what's the alternative? Just sign anyone?

You can also guarantee that if we had signed a lower league striker for £500k, there'd be a thread on here about how we've signed another shit cheap player and it shows our lack of ambition.

I gave a list of possible targets on Page 5.
I'll repost it as you clearly missed it:

Possible targets:
Nakhi Wells Age: 23 (Bradford) Last Season: League 2 39 Games, 18 Goals; This Season: League 1 5 Games, 5 Goals
We couldn't afford him?

Will Grigg (Brentford) Age: 22 League 1 Last Season: 41 Games, 19 Goals; League 1 This Season: 4 Games, 2 Goals
Snapped up by Brentford on a free in the Summer. We couldn't compete with Brentford for a free transfer?

Sam Baldock (Bristol City) Age: 24 Championship Last Season: 24 Games, 10 Goals; League 1 This Season: 5 Games, 4 Goals
We couldn't afford him?

Paddy Madden (Yeovil Town) Age 23 League 1 Last Season: 35 Games, 22 Goals
So what Yeovil got promoted, we couldn't afford him or convince him to leave Yeovil?

None of these strikers would have improved our forward options?
You can't possibly argue that Grigg (League 1's joint second top goalscorer last season) was too expensive, he was available on a free!!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Sep 2013 15:02

The Quiet Man Only three promoted as well, no problem with our dynamic strikeforce then :lol: .

Big jizzfest here for NA who was sacked just like McD because his employer thought he wasn't capable of being a premier league manager wow! He got his promotions on the back of Hooper at Scunthorpe and Lambert at Southampton. He is supposed be changing our style and he's only allowed to bring in 3 players none of them a capable forward. One of whom Drenthe is a luxury with the potential to self destruct; another Williams dropped from US squad (attitude problem?) and let go easily by Hoffenheim hasn't started a league game this season; the last one is another in our recent collection of stately old full backs with no pace. Forgive me Mr Hammond if I'm not overwhelmed with our current position or your contribution to it. Not impressed AZ, hardly in the country, looking to swan in with a name signing instead rebuilding a young and hungry team, talking about money you haven't got (waiting till you take the club acounts offshore to Gibraltar perhaps). Not a very impressive start could do better!

He wasn't sacked because his employer thought he wasn't capable.. It is widely agreed that the owners just wanted the other guy more Adkins was on fine form when they sacked him

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 05 Sep 2013 18:53

P!ssed Off I gave a list of possible targets on Page 5.

Possible targets:
Nakhi Wells Age: 23 (Bradford) Last Season: League 2 39 Games, 18 Goals; This Season: League 1 5 Games, 5 Goals
We couldn't afford him?

Will Grigg (Brentford) Age: 22 League 1 Last Season: 41 Games, 19 Goals; League 1 This Season: 4 Games, 2 Goals
Snapped up by Brentford on a free in the Summer. We couldn't compete with Brentford for a free transfer?

Sam Baldock (Bristol City) Age: 24 Championship Last Season: 24 Games, 10 Goals; League 1 This Season: 5 Games, 4 Goals
We couldn't afford him?

So what Yeovil got promoted, we couldn't afford him or convince him to leave Yeovil?

You can't possibly argue that Grigg (League 1's joint second top goalscorer last season) was too expensive, he was available on a free!!

why do you assume we missed out on signing them?

Maybe we just looked at them and thought they weren't good enough. Perhaps out scouts base ability on a little more that August's goal stats. Perhaps they were decent players, but didn't look like they fit into the sort of system Adkins wants to play.

And maybe they weren't available for £500k.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 05 Sep 2013 20:41

tmesis
P!ssed Off I gave a list of possible targets on Page 5.

Possible targets:
We couldn't afford him?

We couldn't afford him?

why do you assume we missed out on signing them?

Maybe we just looked at them and thought they weren't good enough. Perhaps out scouts base ability on a little more that August's goal stats. Perhaps they were decent players, but didn't look like they fit into the sort of system Adkins wants to play.

And maybe they weren't available for £500k.

Weren't good enough to compete with an injured Roberts, a distinerested Pog and Nick Blackman :shock: you mad?
And as I said Will Grigg, 22 years old, was available on a free transfer so nothing to do with price.
You keep saying we couldn't buy a striker at a decent amount, I've named four decent young strikers that we could easily have afforded.

SapperBRoyal

by SapperBRoyal » 05 Sep 2013 20:55

Extended-Phenotype
Hoop Blah
It's an exaggeration of those calling for the (1) sacking of Hammond and (2) questioning the intentions of the club, (3) calling out all sorts of conspiracy theories and generally talking a load of crap over the last day or so.

(1) Not too OTT considering this is what, the third transfer window where the club has fallen short of what they promised? Mong Rating = 2/5
(2) Fair enough, considering the club outlined it's intentions "bring in 7 players" and instead brought in 3 and shipped two good ones. Mong Rating = 1/5
(3) That's HobNob. Mong Rating 5/5.

Third underwhelming transfer window, agreed. Sack NH to remedy the situation?! :shock: How have you got there?

Latecomer to RFC

by Latecomer to RFC » 05 Sep 2013 21:36

[urlhttp://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11673/8907518/reading-director-of-football-nicky-hammond-has-defended-the-clubs-transfer-policy[/url]

Just to rub salt into the wound :x

175 posts