Adkins: 'I don't think Reading can reach 100 goal target"

253 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Adkins: 'I don't think Reading can reach 100 goal target

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Sep 2013 16:01

I really respect and appreciate the comments made by Nige. This was exactly what I wanted the club to come out and say a few days ago and fair enough he took a few days to mull it over. He has cemented into my head that he knows what he is doing and I am putting my trust in him 100%. I am fully behind him and the owners and the direction of the club. Given time he is no doubt in my mind the right guy to bring success to Reading. URZ.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 06 Sep 2013 16:14

Adkins: I do not believe that the players I have bought are any good

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 06 Sep 2013 16:19

His 3 main priorities now that the transfer window has closed should be:

1) Try and un-dig Pog's heels.

2) Turn McCleary & HRK into the consistent and talented attacking players they have threatened to be on occasions.

3) Make the defence as mean as possible.

If Alf gets 50 goals and Pog 25 surely the rest of the squad can weigh in with 25 between them 8)

Harrydog

by Harrydog » 06 Sep 2013 16:20

Ouroboros Adkins: I do not believe that the players I have bought are any good

i'm assuming you mean inherited, as you would be a moron to say Drenthe, Williams and Bridge aren't any good !

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 06 Sep 2013 16:34

Maguire
TBM Adkins: 'I don't think Reading can reach 100 goal target with the players we have now'

Discuss

I think he's a total moron for even saying it in the first place. You don't need to score anywhere near 100 goals to get promoted - it's rare that a title-winning team will even get 90.

We won the league with 69. Birmingham have been promoted with 54. I'd say 80 goals would be a tough yet realistic target that also gives you a great chance of getting auto.

Why you'd walk into a new job and start banging on about scoring 100 goals is beyond me.

I think its just sounding off again about the lack of investment

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 06 Sep 2013 16:35

Replace that with someone else has bought

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 06 Sep 2013 16:48

I think we now have a thoroughly disenchanted manager. He joined because he though he was coming to a team with a bit of Russian money, who were ambitious to get back into the perm and would add favourably to his CV. Instead he got a club who are never willing to invest, don't have much money and admit they could never buy a player for £5m. None of his targets have been signed and we are left with chairman's choice of players. They have rushed off to the bank to deposit the £5m incoming from Jimmy and Mapps. What a joke outfit we have become. They wont even spend the money that we get from sales now. I think both Hammond and Adkins have made it clear that we have become a poor club and are trying to defend themselves against the criticism. Favourites for this year - what a laugh. Even the manager is saying we cant score goals and our best hope is to stay in touch. Yes we have invested in the academy but at this rate I can see Adkins leaving before the end of the season and who could blame him.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 06 Sep 2013 16:54

Harrydog

i'm assuming you mean inherited, as you would be a moron to say Drenthe, Williams and Bridge aren't any good !

HE said it, not ME.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Sep 2013 17:04

I'm not sure why Adkins saying he thought the targets were realistic and us not being able to close the deals due to finances has to automatically mean he's been screwed on resources.

It could equally mean that we had the resources he thought were necessary to get them, but they wanted more and we couldn't / weren't prepared to go to the necessary level beyond our valuation.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Sep 2013 17:23

Ian Royal I'm not sure why Adkins saying he thought the targets were realistic and us not being able to close the deals due to finances has to automatically mean he's been screwed on resources.

It could equally mean that we had the resources he thought were necessary to get them, but they wanted more and we couldn't / weren't prepared to go to the necessary level beyond our valuation.

I completely agree! I think it more likely the club were not willing to go to the price range we were being quoted rather than not having the funds to do so.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 06 Sep 2013 17:51

TBM Adkins: 'I don't think Reading can reach 100 goal target with the players we have now'

Discuss

But he didn't say that did he? :|

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Sep 2013 17:55

Avon Royal

Discuss

He insinuated it and said he had serious doubts about our teams striking ability. He didn't say those exact words in that exact order but TBM took what was clearly visible between the lines and said it for him.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 06 Sep 2013 18:02

im confused, is Sigurdsson coming in January or on loan?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Sep 2013 18:04

Loan, perm in January when we're 10 points clear.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 06 Sep 2013 18:12

NewCorkSeth
Avon Royal

Discuss

He insinuated it and said he had serious doubts about our teams striking ability. He didn't say those exact words in that exact order but TBM took what was clearly visible between the lines and said it for him.

So we're agreed that he didn't actually say it. Fair play for having a go though.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 06 Sep 2013 18:15

The full transcript in the EP recently posted is very illuminating.

1/ He confirms yet again that he wanted 3 new players.

2/ He implies that Sissoko was not one of his targets - is Anton playing "football manager"? NA does not sound overwhelmingly sorry that this potential deal broke down. Again there is an implication that he would have preferred the money to be spent on a striker. ("CW - We've spoken all summer and the priority has been a striker, then people look at the wages we presume Sissoko is going to be on and think why we can't those wages go on the forward? Can you understand why people are thinking that?

NA - I share the empathy with everybody. But as I've highlighted as the manager of the club it's my responsibility to keep everybody focused and everybody on board.

I share the empathy. I've highlighted what I wanted to do but the reality is this is what we've got.

What we've got to do now is keep working very hard to keep pushing on to what we want to achieve.")

3/ It is implied that one target was as suspected Cameron Jerome but to be fair to the club a player like him would always prefer to stay in the PL.

4/ Selling Mariappa was a business decision (too good an offer to refuse) and he would have preferred to keep the player. ("There was no desire to let him go but obviously a bid came in that the board deemed a good offer business wise and they've gone and accepted it.")

5/ We kept other players that were subject to bids - implied as Alex McCarthy and Adam Le Fondre - but there were probably bids for McCleary and HRK as well. Kebe clearly wanted out but as far as we are aware Mariappa was not pressuring to go so it does beg the question why the club let Mariappa go and yet retained others. It might imply that perhaps the owner did not rate Mariappa??

Again it is refreshing how open NA has been.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 06 Sep 2013 18:16

Royalclapper Confrontations a plenty to come by the sounds of it, it appears that Adkins is not prepared to be the usual lackey that the club bullies around.

Who are these numerous lackeys that the club has bullied around?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Sep 2013 18:18

andrew1957 The full transcript in the EP recently posted is very illuminating.

1/ He confirms yet again that he wanted 3 new players.

2/ He implies that Sissoko was not one of his targets - is Anton playing "football manager"? NA does not sound overwhelmingly sorry that this potential deal broke down. Again there is an implication that he would have preferred the money to be spent on a striker. ("CW - We've spoken all summer and the priority has been a striker, then people look at the wages we presume Sissoko is going to be on and think why we can't those wages go on the forward? Can you understand why people are thinking that?

NA - I share the empathy with everybody. But as I've highlighted as the manager of the club it's my responsibility to keep everybody focused and everybody on board.

I share the empathy. I've highlighted what I wanted to do but the reality is this is what we've got.

What we've got to do now is keep working very hard to keep pushing on to what we want to achieve.")

3/ It is implied that one target was as suspected Cameron Jerome but to be fair to the club a player like him would always prefer to stay in the PL.

4/ Selling Mariappa was a business decision (too good an offer to refuse) and he would have preferred to keep the player. ("There was no desire to let him go but obviously a bid came in that the board deemed a good offer business wise and they've gone and accepted it.")

5/ We kept other players that were subject to bids - implied as Alex McCarthy and Adam Le Fondre - but there were probably bids for McCleary and HRK as well. Kebe clearly wanted out but as far as we are aware Mariappa was not pressuring to go so it does beg the question why the club let Mariappa go and yet retained others. It might imply that perhaps the owner did not rate Mariappa??

Again it is refreshing how open NA has been.

That seems a bit of a leap from what I've read.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Sep 2013 18:19

andrew1957 Tas we are aware Mariappa was not pressuring to go so it does beg the question why the club let Mariappa go and yet retained others. It might imply that perhaps the owner did not rate Mariappa??

It wasn't the owners who weren't selecting Mariappa was it ?
You can see the thought process - Palace offer a decent profit on a player that the manager sees as 4th choice. Take it or not ?
McCarthy, Le Fondre, HRK and McLeary all appear to be much more in Adkins plans than Mariappa.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 06 Sep 2013 18:25

Pepe the Horseman
I don’t think we haven’t got enough goals in the team to reach that target

Wait. So he does think we can do it?

It's a double negative, so he does think we can do it. Rock on!

253 posts