Cureton watch

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Cureton watch

by tmesis » 12 Oct 2013 21:00

sandman No, I was referring to the fact that most of his goals were from inside the penalty box.

Not to say he didn't score some long range goals like the "dipper" against Burnley and the long shot against Brighton in his last season when we were chasing the game and he was more pre-occupied with his arms outstretched celebration rather than picking the ball up out of the net so we could kick off and try to get an equaliser.

As much as I didn't like him as a player it's obvious that he had a big contribution on our success over the last decade or so.

You say it like his scoring ability was easy and any striker could do it.

"Poaching" is a knack. It's not about just standing near the goal. It's about reading the game and knowing where to position yourself. I remember one goal he scored, a close range volley (I think against Norwich) where he scored from the keeper dropping the ball. Memory could be playing tricks, but what I recall about that was that he was shaping for the shot even before the keeper dropped the ball. He was awake to what was going on, whereas most strikers would have only reacted after the fumble.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Oct 2013 21:15

tmesis
sandman No, I was referring to the fact that most of his goals were from inside the penalty box.

Not to say he didn't score some long range goals like the "dipper" against Burnley and the long shot against Brighton in his last season when we were chasing the game and he was more pre-occupied with his arms outstretched celebration rather than picking the ball up out of the net so we could kick off and try to get an equaliser.

As much as I didn't like him as a player it's obvious that he had a big contribution on our success over the last decade or so.

You say it like his scoring ability was easy and any striker could do it.

"Poaching" is a knack. It's not about just standing near the goal. It's about reading the game and knowing where to position yourself. I remember one goal he scored, a close range volley (I think against Norwich) where he scored from the keeper dropping the ball. Memory could be playing tricks, but what I recall about that was that he was shaping for the shot even before the keeper dropped the ball. He was awake to what was going on, whereas most strikers would have only reacted after the fumble.

Of course there's is skill to it, the Brentford goal being prime example as a lovely finish, I just find that sort of player a bit dull and prefer the type who have pace and beat people.

So basically I guess what I'm really saying is... Forster>>>>>>>>>>Cureton.

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 13 Oct 2013 12:22

That was Derby at home. Last couple of minutes as well.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 13 Oct 2013 21:13

His greatest goal being the first in the Premier League against Ipswich.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 22 Feb 2014 20:19