Flat reading fans!

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Flat reading fans!

by tmesis » 01 Oct 2013 20:20

Royal Ginger To be honest, what do the away fans see? A building site of a train station, a bus station that looks like a scene from a horror film and a stadium with little atmosphere. We're not the best "Away experience" all round.

by all accounts, away fans and most clubs sing that wherever they go, regardless of how decent the town they are playing in is. It's got nothing to do with Reading or the experience.

Frequent any general football board and you'll see the very same criticism of fans singing the same old crap regardless of context, from fans of pretty much every club in the country. At least we don't do the "ultras" stuff too.

The problem at Reading isn't really the singing anyway. It's more that the atmosphere is all too often dead. There's rarely a buzz about the crowd. It's as if everyone is bored, waiting for something to happen, rather than being into the game.

For some reason it tend to take a sense of injustice, or the other team being bit dirty, to get our fans fired up. What we need is the opposition to be managed by Neil Warnock every week.

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 01 Oct 2013 20:29

Watching the Celtic match on the box. Blimey, what a racket they make. Can't we borrow them? Even if it's for just one game.

Hopefully that one game wouldn't be 7 days ago. Dead atmosphere and a quarter full.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 14 Jan 2014 13:23

blythspartan I will probably get banned from HNA for this but here goes.

How about at random times in the games at the Mad Stad, as many of us as possible sing " Nellie the Elephant".

Heard this blasted out many years a go at the Reading Rock Festival (I think it was by Slade).

A real random song that we could have some fun with.
Plus everybody knows the words to that one.

I was thinking, The Royals Anthem....... The Na na na na na, Na na na na na, Na na na na bit..... we could sing that on loop and replace any words that are in the that section with Na na na na. We will know the tune and nobody needs to learn the words.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 14 Jan 2014 13:50

It might bloody help if they turned the volumn down on the stadium loudspeakers a few hundred decibels then at least we could hear something of what the fans are singing before the game and when we score.

To be drowned out by cheap darts music (or whatever it is) is rubbish.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 14 Jan 2014 14:32

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but has anyone thought about setting up a singing area?

McClearyChops

by McClearyChops » 14 Jan 2014 18:19

Norfolk Royal Not sure if this has been mentioned before but has anyone thought about setting up a singing area?

Isn't this pretty much y25/26 already ?

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 14 Jan 2014 18:28

McClearyChops
Norfolk Royal Not sure if this has been mentioned before but has anyone thought about setting up a singing area?

Whoosh!

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 14 Jan 2014 19:38

McClearyChops

The only credible song the Y25 massive churn out once a game is Molly Malone whose origin goes way back to the Southbank of the '70's. Shame creativity seems to have passed us by for the 40 years since.

McClearyChops

by McClearyChops » 14 Jan 2014 19:58

grey_squirrel
McClearyChops

The only credible song the Y25 massive churn out once a game is Molly Malone whose origin goes way back to the Southbank of the '70's. Shame creativity seems to have passed us by for the 40 years since.

Better than no atmosphere ! Reckon if we were to make a part of the stadium "Safe Standing" (doubt we will)maybe more of an atmosphere would be created?

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 14 Jan 2014 20:03

McClearyChops

When?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Jan 2014 20:40

carbek blue We know our fans are not renowned for being the loudest, and our players have certainly not given us much to sing about, but c'mon lets try and change this. The Mad Stad is lacking in noise but not devotion and heart. We seem to have come to 'a kind of positive' turning point in our game play and results and would be great to show support we could be proud of! Any ideas to get all stands rocking?!!

Sign of the times. Bring back terracing. Many grounds are now soul less places.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 14 Jan 2014 21:09

Lower West Sign of the times.

No way am I singing the Belle Stars.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 14 Jan 2014 21:19

Agent Balti
Lower West Sign of the times.

No way am I singing the Belle Stars.

Why not?! Classic/proper early '80's disco/beat combo tune!

Reading Aloud

by Reading Aloud » 14 Jan 2014 21:29

'Royals' by Lorde

You will never be Royals, Royals
It’s not in your blood
That kind of lux is just for us
We create a different kind of buzz
We will be your ruler, ruler
You can calls us queen bee
And then we’ll rule, we’ll rule, we’ll rule, we’ll rule
You won’t live that fantasy

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 14 Jan 2014 22:27

:shock: on second thoughts...Belle Stars, why not?!

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 14 Jan 2014 23:17

Royal Biscuitman

How about at random times in the games at the Mad Stad, as many of us as possible sing " Nellie the Elephant".

Heard this blasted out many years a go at the Reading Rock Festival (I think it was by Slade).

I was thinking, The Royals Anthem....... The Na na na na na, Na na na na na, Na na na na bit..... we could sing that on loop and replace any words that are in the that section with Na na na na. We will know the tune and nobody needs to learn the words.

Generally like this.

It would actually be our own creation for once and has some sort of meaning to it. I'm in.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 15 Jan 2014 07:02

madreadingfan
Royal Biscuitman

Hopefully that cringeworthy Royals Anthem was put to bed a few years ago.

Generally like this.

It would actually be our own creation for once and has some sort of meaning to it. I'm in.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Jan 2014 17:04

carbek blue We know our fans are not renowned for being the loudest, and our players have certainly not given us much to sing about, but c'mon lets try and change this. The Mad Stad is lacking in noise but not devotion and heart. We seem to have come to 'a kind of positive' turning point in our game play and results and would be great to show support we could be proud of! Any ideas to get all stands rocking?!!

When I was a south bank regular starting chants we WERE renowned for being loud, fierce and passionate.

Then I grew up, and now we're not.

Funny that. :wink:

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 15 Jan 2014 20:39

Personally hate anything to do with 'royal' association with our club, an appalling pr exercise, we should have stuck with our properly unique biscuit connection,

" If you like a lot of football with your biscuits join our club"

lovely catchy tune too!

:D