Adkins popularity?

152 posts
Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Adkins popularity?

by Norfolk Royal » 03 Jul 2014 10:43

Can't help noticing on the forum people praising Adkins for his apparent even handed attitude and dignity during the recent turbulent period with regards to the club's ownership.

It would have been characteristic of other managers, would it not, to throw the toys out, demand a move, resign, sound off in the press, etc, etc?

Save for a few guarded comments there has been none of that reported.

I was wondering if people thought this has increased the manager's popularity from a probably reasonable level in any case to a position where most fans back him. I'm pretty impressed with him for one and hope he gets a chance this season to get in some new players and create a team in his own image.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: Adkins popularity?

by ZacNaloen » 03 Jul 2014 10:53

I always liked him tbf

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Jul 2014 10:59

yeah, impressed with how he dealt with all the shit last year. never really moaned, never really threw blame around, just got his head down and got on with it.
this season is the real test though. with a bit of backing and his own players

liamobey

by liamobey » 03 Jul 2014 11:02

I was an Adkins out man for a while. Gotta stick with him now i think....
I don't hold grudges like lonely high court judges.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 03 Jul 2014 11:28

Only the likes of certain poster(s) wouldn't be prepared to give him a decent crack of the whip. Last year was a total annus horribilis for RFC as a whole, as Adkins as a result. He had the rug pulled from beneath him by AZ and injuries in key areas knackered us completely. (10 central midfield pairings, for example.)

With a settled club, settled team, we should see what he's really capable of. That said, I've no problems with next season being a consolidation season either. We've no idea what the new owners will provide, help or hinder.

But I like him, his interviews are an acquired taste, I can understand that. But, personally, I don't understand any particular outright dislike for him, as some in the forum clearly have.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 03 Jul 2014 11:32

Think he handled shit well. Think a lot of our poor results were to do with stuff out of his control. That said I don't think he always helped matters and could have done better and made better decisions.

My general feeling is though that last year probably wouldn't be a fair yardstick to measure him by.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 03 Jul 2014 11:49

Yet to see anything from him that makes me think he should stay in charge. I could stay level headed as manager with a load of stuff going on in the boardroom - doesn't mean I'd be a good manager. He's had a year and a half and the football is still shit

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 03 Jul 2014 11:56

Extended-Phenotype My general feeling is though that last year probably wouldn't be a fair yardstick to measure him by.

Maybe. Nothing against him personally and I'm not bothered by his (lack of) interviewing skills. But, considering he had pretty much the same players at the end of the season as he did at the beginning there weren't any signs that his coaching methods were working. If anything, several players went in reverse over the season.
It's definitely a plus point that he's not been banging on about the ownership issues but I remain to be convinced he's any good at his job.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Jul 2014 12:00

Poll please. I loike him.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 03 Jul 2014 12:14

Agent Balti Only the likes of certain poster(s) wouldn't be prepared to give him a decent crack of the whip. Last year was a total annus horribilis for RFC as a whole, as Adkins as a result. He had the rug pulled from beneath him by AZ and injuries in key areas knackered us completely. (10 central midfield pairings, for example.)

With a settled club, settled team, we should see what he's really capable of. That said, I've no problems with next season being a consolidation season either. We've no idea what the new owners will provide, help or hinder.

But I like him, his interviews are an acquired taste, I can understand that. But, personally, I don't understand any particular outright dislike for him, as some in the forum clearly have.

+1

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 03 Jul 2014 12:26

Don't think he did a particularly good job last season, but there are excuses and nor do I think he did a particularly bad job. He's handled himself with the utmost class and dignity wrt the whole takeover disaster, and has seemingly bought into the club's commitment to youth.

Hopefully with a bit of stability he'll be able to start building a team, rather than the short-termist scrambling around for a successful formula that came about from the financial pressure to get promoted towards the end of last season.

I also think he's a genuinely nice guy. Always has time for the fans before/after games in and around the stadium, completely in contrast to the picture of him that some on here would like to paint.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Jul 2014 13:06

Agreed. The more silent he is, the more I like him.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 Jul 2014 13:15

urz13 Yet to see anything from him that makes me think he should stay in charge. I could stay level headed as manager with a load of stuff going on in the boardroom - doesn't mean I'd be a good manager. He's had a year and a half and the football is still shit

What would you like to see to make your opinion change of him?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Jul 2014 13:23

urz13 Yet to see anything from him that makes me think he should stay in charge. I could stay level headed as manager with a load of stuff going on in the boardroom - doesn't mean I'd be a good manager. He's had a year and a half and the football is still shit

He's had a year and a half? A YEAR. AND A HALF. OMG :!: Give him a chance. He's had one full season, where we missed out on the play-offs in injury time on the final day.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Jul 2014 13:27

and a little investment instead of financial panic in the loan window would have seen us make it, no doubt

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 03 Jul 2014 13:35

Adkins OUT

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Jul 2014 13:41

BF, if we win the league this season, playing attractive football, will you warm to him? Or is it unconditional h8?

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 03 Jul 2014 13:48

Since the turmol in the club for the past 12 months has been crystalised a little, I've got nothing but praise for how Nigel's outwardly handled things.

So he's not everyone's cup of tea personaility wise - but lets see what he can do (presuming) he gets the players he wants - next season.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 03 Jul 2014 13:55

I'm sure that as an AZ appointment he is exceptionally well compensated for his troubles.

Yet to impress me but its tough having to deal with a idiot like AZ, maybe he gets to breathe a little now. His assistant Crosby and the fitness coach are distinctly unimpressive far too many times where both fitness and basic tactical shape went missing.

surrounded by saints

by surrounded by saints » 03 Jul 2014 14:06

If Mcleary were to be sold, as has been suggested, before this elusive takeover happens,then I would not be the least bit supprised if Nigel walks away. Just my opinion folks .

152 posts