Nigel Adkin's post game interview /Derby

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

Re: Nigel Adkin's post game interview /Derby

by SPARTA » 20 Oct 2014 12:00

RoyalBlue F8ck me, I despair! I find it absolutely incredible and depressing that people appear to want to get rid of a manager as much on the basis of how he sounds in his post match interviews as for anything else!

Even if that was to be a valid reason, we could sack Adkins and replace him with someone who does give 'acceptable' interviews and things still wouldn't get any better on the pitch. For things to change the owners need to free up the purse strings a bit and the manager, whoever that is, needs to go out and sign some loan players to strengthen the squad. It is absolutely ludicrous that the only 'cover' we have in defence is a youngster who has played just one full league game.

^ this!

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 20 Oct 2014 12:00

AthleticoSpizz He (NA) was instrumental in getting them there tho'.

Write this season off folks....most of us already had before August....mid table will do, thank you.

Next season, correct funding and more back-up, judge the guy then.....he's already on a downer with himself

^ this!

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 20 Oct 2014 12:05

Ha ha Nigel is playing shit losing football etc.

I'm really not sure if another manager, old or new, would have us playing any better. Sure we have some good players on the books but we have also lost and are missing some key players. I don't care how good Player A is, if he's stuck in a team with weak CB's and a makeshift midfield lacking that defensive protection, Player A is going to be on the losing side.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Oct 2014 12:13

Royal Rother
Royality creeps In Still we apparently had a load of ooooooooooos and aaaaaaaaaahhs

Had enough of his excuses and cliché s

There weren't any excuses given or cliches used in that interview, were there?

nope, seemed a reasonable response to the game to me.
didnt try and spin it, or bullshit. ust said we played well at the start, but the errors have cost us again.

in the bbcrb one i heard he was pretty clear that he knows the defensive errors are unnacceptable, and made it clear he was trying to do something in the loan market to adress that.
obviously i'll wait and see what he does, if he does it, and how that impacts the results, but it all seemed pretty reasonable to me so far

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Oct 2014 12:15

Royal Lady And both Coppell and McDermott would admit when we had played badly

this isnt the first interview ive heard adkins say our performance wasnt good enough

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Oct 2014 12:16

Royality creeps In
Royalwaster I think you just have to accept that some fans will always be dissatisfied unless we're winning the league ... the good thing is that even though this minority is very loud, it seems to me that the majority are clearly behind the manager. I have definitely enjoyed the football a lot more this season that for a while - sort out the defence and I think we could have a very decent team ....

Exactly what part of not winning in our last five games have you enjoyed most.

wolves was an exciting entertaining game.
so that part

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Oct 2014 12:19

Ok I am a newbie. Please feel free to give me stick :wink:

I still think Adkins deserves time. We have at times played some excellent football this season. Wigan away was one of the most attacking performances I have seen from us. When Roberto Martinez started as Wigan manager he changed their style of play to their fast paced passing and movement system they play and guess what? they were inconsistent for a couple of seasons. I recall they beat Chelsea 3-1 but had off days where they got beat 9-1 by Spurs. We will get the odd beating, our defence has been poor but until we find the balance between attack and defence and once we have Karacan, Williams and McCleary back then I think we will struggle a bit.

I think sacking Adkins would be plain stupidity and it would be the same situation with Brendan Rodgers all over again (unless Dolan was our next manager).

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Oct 2014 12:21

Extended-Phenotype Ha ha Nigel is playing shit losing football etc.

I'm really not sure if another manager, old or new, would have us playing any better. Sure we have some good players on the books but we have also lost and are missing some key players. I don't care how good Player A is, if he's stuck in a team with weak CB's and a makeshift midfield lacking that defensive protection, Player A is going to be on the losing side.

i love player A

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 20 Oct 2014 12:22

melonhead
Extended-Phenotype Ha ha Nigel is playing shit losing football etc.

i love player A

I know, man. I know.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 20 Oct 2014 13:54

Royal_jimmy Ok I am a newbie. Please feel free to give me stick :wink:

I still think Adkins deserves time. We have at times played some excellent football this season. Wigan away was one of the most attacking performances I have seen from us. When Roberto Martinez started as Wigan manager he changed their style of play to their fast paced passing and movement system they play and guess what? they were inconsistent for a couple of seasons. I recall they beat Chelsea 3-1 but had off days where they got beat 9-1 by Spurs. We will get the odd beating, our defence has been poor but until we find the balance between attack and defence and once we have Karacan, Williams and McCleary back then I think we will struggle a bit.

I think sacking Adkins would be plain stupidity and it would be the same situation with Brendan Rodgers all over again (unless Dolan was our next manager).

You mean go on a blistering run and nearly make the play offs after staring relegation to League 1 in the face? Yeah that would be terrible.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Oct 2014 14:39

wingnut

You mean go on a blistering run and nearly make the play offs after staring relegation to League 1 in the face? Yeah that would be terrible.

Yes I know we were down the bottom of the league but we never gave him enough time. We played well and got beat in a number of games that year like Cardiff and Leicester which were not his fault. I think we would be a stronger club now if we had kept him as manager. Yes Brian came in and did an amazing job (bar his first couple months in the league) and got a limited team to outperform Southampton and West Ham but we would have had a much better chance of staying in the premier league if we got promoted with Rodgers in charge. I also think we would have kept Sigurdsson for longer than we did if Rodgers have been given more time.

Adkins has been in charge for 19 months now but the majority of the time he has had at the club he has had little backing bar the end of the transfer window. Derby who were an average championship team for 4-5 years have been patient and they look strong candidates to be a premier league team next year. We have no right to be at the top of the league every season. Yes we want to be and yes we want to be a premier league club but manager's need to be given time to prove themselves fully. Adkins got Southampton and Scunthorpe back to back promotions so I am sure given time and backing he can with us playing the right way.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 20 Oct 2014 14:47

Royal_jimmy
wingnut

Yes I know we were down the bottom of the league but we never gave him enough time. We played well and got beat in a number of games that year like Cardiff and Leicester which were not his fault. I think we would be a stronger club now if we had kept him as manager. Yes Brian came in and did an amazing job (bar his first couple months in the league) and got a limited team to outperform Southampton and West Ham but we would have had a much better chance of staying in the premier league if we got promoted with Rodgers in charge. I also think we would have kept Sigurdsson for longer than we did if Rodgers have been given more time.

Some utterly ludicrous assertions there.
Since Gylfi was sold for purely financial and not football reasons what slivver of evidence do you base that last assertion on?

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 20 Oct 2014 14:50

This isn't the first time NA has said we weren't good enough, and defensively we need to work harder (in training etc). Question is why is that still the case? If our defenders are that bad, select a more solid formation to keep dangerous opposition out. Seems pretty basic to me, but hey, I don't have a perma tan and an ill fitting suit, so what would I know...

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 20 Oct 2014 14:56

royal_rumble This isn't the first time NA has said we weren't good enough, and defensively we need to work harder (in training etc). Question is why is that still the case? If our defenders are that bad, select a more solid formation to keep dangerous opposition out. Seems pretty basic to me, but hey, I don't have a perma tan and an ill fitting suit, so what would I know...

the floor is yours mr rumble what formation would you play then, and who would you bring in to make us more "solid"?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Oct 2014 15:07

I'm probably wide of the mark, but I'd be interested in Guthrie's impact on our goals against column.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 20 Oct 2014 15:19

WoodleyRoyal
royal_rumble This isn't the first time NA has said we weren't good enough, and defensively we need to work harder (in training etc). Question is why is that still the case? If our defenders are that bad, select a more solid formation to keep dangerous opposition out. Seems pretty basic to me, but hey, I don't have a perma tan and an ill fitting suit, so what would I know...

the floor is yours mr rumble what formation would you play then, and who would you bring in to make us more "solid"?

Well as per the post, I'd probably start with some defensive training, because at times, just like at Brentford, it looked like the back 4 + GK were playing their first game together. Little or no organisation / communication. Then, why not sacrifice Cox (who was peripheral for large parts of the Derby game) for a deep lying midfielder, Akpan , Guthrie, whoever... somebody who just digs in. Seems like that cover could be useful right now.

But again, isn't this NA's job? Or should he just keep coming out and saying that we've defended poorly again?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Oct 2014 15:20

royal_rumble
WoodleyRoyal

Well as per the post, I'd probably start with some defensive training, because at times, just like at Brentford, it looked like the back 4 + GK were playing their first game together. Little or no organisation / communication. Then, why not sacrifice Cox (who was peripheral for large parts of the Derby game) for a deep lying midfielder, Akpan , Guthrie, whoever... somebody who just digs in. Seems like that cover could be useful right now.

But again, isn't this NA's job? Or should he just keep coming out and saying that we've defended poorly again?

Akpan's an attacking midfielder.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 20 Oct 2014 15:23

royal_rumble
WoodleyRoyal

i see well im sure that Nigel appreciates the advice i doubt he'd of thought about defensive training, if your reading nige! :wink:

cool drop cox bring in akpan or guthrie like we did at brentf.... oh

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 20 Oct 2014 16:23

Not sure that anyone really gives a toss about the quality of an interview after the game, as in the heat of the moment they can be completely different to what you may hear 24 hours later.

However; i have a big problem with Adkins tactics and his apparent lack of a plan B, something that ultimately got McDermott the sack, albeit in the premier league where it is ultimately more difficult to execute a plan B.

Personally (and it's only my opinion) i am getting fed up with seeing Gunter (the man who is at the moment supposed to be the captain and team inspiration) constantly hoof the ball as far as possible whilst looking at his feet, as well as getting caught out of position on numerous occasions.
Pearce get beaten both on the floor and in the air to nearly every ball that comes near him, and someone actually said on Radio Berkshire that he needs someone to play alongside him to help him out!
Robson Kanu continue to frustrate everyone with his inability to beat anyone going forward or tackle anyone going back, unless he has the red shirt of Wales on.
Far from developing the young talent that we have brought into the team, he seems to be destroying it, when players like Hector, Taylor and to a lesser extent Obita seem to be completely devoid of confidence.
Our one shining light over the last few weeks has been Norwood, but even he seemed to be able to do little more than hit 40-50 yard Hollywood balls on Saturday, many of which failed to reach their intended target.

I am sure that some will delight in destroying me for these comments but its the way i see it, the Manager should be a source of direction and inspiration for the players, but at the moment they seem to be quickly losing any direction that they may have had previously, and far from playing the "Adkins beautiful game" we are currently witnessing football that stinks of desperation with no plan B, or adequate direction to even attempt plan A.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 20 Oct 2014 16:30

with williams karacan and mccleary back in the team we will be a totally different side. We are missing bite in the centre of the park and the two aformentioned will provide that, while mccleary will bring the much needed pace and width that we are also crying out for.

Derby were imo the best side i have seen this season and we created, and should have scored at least 4 (cox header, HRK rebound, murray crossbar and pog miss) all this with a side nowhere near full strenghth. patience
Last edited by WoodleyRoyal on 20 Oct 2014 16:31, edited 1 time in total.