23%
Whelmed
65%

Total votes: 272
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Steve Clarke

by SCIAG » 16 Dec 2014 11:24

LUX looks like we can make the Clark/Clarke confusion similar to Atkins/Adkins.

so I'm happy.

And Rogers/Rodgers.

Maybe we should stick to managers with unambiguously spelled surnames?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Dec 2014 11:25

Anyone got any WBA supporting m8s/colleagues who can give us the lowdown?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Dec 2014 11:26

Looks like and sounds like my ex's dad, so OUT.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 16 Dec 2014 11:26

I used to have a Steve Clarke poster up on my wall as a youngster.

Chelsea legend.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 16 Dec 2014 11:27

Sanguine
genome Didn't he get West Brom to finish 8th in 2012/13?

He did, but they started like a train (won 8 and drew 2 of their first 13 games). They only won 6 games after the end of November, and had won 8 out of 41 when he was sacked.

West Brom fans were saying at the time he was handed a great team & spirit when Hodgson left and gradually eroded that.

Zana Badawi

by Zana Badawi » 16 Dec 2014 11:27

Its never confirmed until the BBC reports it in my book.

Of the out-of-work lot, he's probably one of the better ones. Hopefully be a bit of no-nonsense. Had enough of nonsense.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Dec 2014 11:29

No Fixed Abode I used to have a Steve Clarke poster up on my wall as a youngster.

Chelsea legend.

Thoughts with you at this difficult time kes, stay strong.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Dec 2014 11:32

Based on betting it looks like Clarke is the man, but then betting doesn't necessarily mean anything. If it is then he has a good track record coaching wise but not convinced as a manager. Probably turn out to be another Adkins...

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Dec 2014 11:33

Winston Smith West Brom fans were saying at the time he was handed a great team & spirit when Hodgson left and gradually eroded that.

I don't know about you but I am excited.

under the tin

by under the tin » 16 Dec 2014 11:33

It wouldn't surprise me at all were any appointment made a relatively short term one.
For any out of work coach, a contract to the end of the season, with a view to a more formal deal at the end of it is not a bad proposition. It might also help keep the club within the FFP rules in the shorter term.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Dec 2014 11:36

First Rodgers, now probably Clarke. Seems we're skirting aroung the Chelsea staff, perhaps we're just waiting for Mourinho.....

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Dec 2014 11:37

Winston Smith
Sanguine
genome Didn't he get West Brom to finish 8th in 2012/13?

He did, but they started like a train (won 8 and drew 2 of their first 13 games). They only won 6 games after the end of November, and had won 8 out of 41 when he was sacked.

West Brom fans were saying at the time he was handed a great team & spirit when Hodgson left and gradually eroded that.

Good, we have a crap team and crap team spirit so hopefully is presumed appointment will erode the negativity!

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 16 Dec 2014 11:38

Sutekh Based on betting it looks like Clarke is the man, but then betting doesn't necessarily mean anything. If it is then he has a good track record coaching wise but not convinced as a manager. Probably turn out to be another Adkins...

Whoever gets the job has an up-hill task on their hands. The fans expect to be up near the top, but in reality we are still cutting cloth, have an abundance of over-paid players we want off the books, and more out of contract next summer that we wont even consider offering new deals to until after January - if at all. The fans need to get real. We are in for a tough time the next couple of years, and just have to hope the next manager pulls a rabbit out of the hat and sneaks us into a play-off spot, but it feels very unlikely to me. Mid-table will suffice this season, and hopefully the manager can add some clever buys to improve us next season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Dec 2014 11:39

I think Clarke would make an excellent appointment for the position we're in.

He is, by all accounts, an excellent coach and well thought of by those who've worked with him in the past. His contacts at Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle can only be a positive and his more defensive tendancies is what we need to sort the current mess out.

I'm a fan of pragmatic dour managers who aren't full of the bullshit that some rely on and so he works for me.

There is a little doubt about how well he did at West Brom but his background is excellent and he should be hungry to prove his ability as a number one.

This gets my approval if it happens.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 16 Dec 2014 11:44

Will be pleased with this. Good coach, was doing decent things at WBA who have unrealistic expectations.

Not one to get you jumping around the house for sure, but a smart appointment that would show a level of ambition too.

Not sure how people can be underwhelmed given the calibre of managers that have also been linked.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Dec 2014 11:44

SPARTA
Sutekh Based on betting it looks like Clarke is the man, but then betting doesn't necessarily mean anything. If it is then he has a good track record coaching wise but not convinced as a manager. Probably turn out to be another Adkins...

Whoever gets the job has an up-hill task on their hands. The fans expect to be up near the top, but in reality we are still cutting cloth, have an abundance of over-paid players we want off the books, and more out of contract next summer that we wont even consider offering new deals to until after January - if at all. The fans need to get real. We are in for a tough time the next couple of years, and just have to hope the next manager pulls a rabbit out of the hat and sneaks us into a play-off spot, but it feels very unlikely to me. Mid-table will suffice this season, and hopefully the manager can add some clever buys to improve us next season.

No, fans expect us to show a bit of improvement, stop spreading this rubbish that people just want us to be at the top.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 16 Dec 2014 11:47

Out of a job, probably came cheap, no Championship experience that I can see and no connection to Reading FC at all.

very underwhelmed.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 16 Dec 2014 11:51

Haag Royal Out of a job, probably came cheap, no Championship experience that I can see and no connection to Reading FC at all.

very underwhelmed.

Or on the flip side, has only PL experience, assistant manager of Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle and guided WBA to 8th in first season..

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 16 Dec 2014 11:56

Clarke is the man that JM defended whilst at Chelsea saying, "if he goes I go" and what does the special one know???

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 16 Dec 2014 12:00

Think this is as good an appointment as we could have made.

Has studied under one of the best managers in recent history, but has shown the ability to build a team from a squad or "normal" players.

I had the impression Adkins had lost the dressing room towards the end so a new manager may well bring out the best in the current players.

Watford will be interesting. I think we will win it now because the players will want to make a good impression.

Decision looks to have been made so lets get behind him and give him a good chance to improve us as a team.

387 posts