No
16%

Total votes: 90
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Steve Clake - New Poll

by Ian Royal » 22 Apr 2015 23:22

RoyalBlue
Ian Royal 60%+ possession and 20 shots without ever actually theatening to score, the same problem endlessly repeated then the inevitable goal conceded.

I may be stretching it a bit with shambles, but did anyone seriously have any confidence we'd win?

Exactly this. Strange people are now praising the pretty approach play, despite the lack of end result - something that Adkins was criticised for!

As someone asked on BBCRB - do they actually have any goals at the training ground to practice shooting into?!

It is very difficult to continually defend 0 and Clarke's teams are far too often producing 0.

Last season Obita produced some lovely set plays and crosses. This season his crossing and that of everyone else has been disgraceful.

Adkins may not have had a cluee how to coach a side defensively, but I've seen nothing to suggest Clarke has a clue offensively. What does he do with them in training that their crossing and shooting is so utterly lacklustre?

And his attempts to address it have been to buy players who are even shitter at scoring than the ones we've got. He's not even tried to address the gaping chasm on our left flank.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 22 Apr 2015 23:26

Yeah set pieces have been awful this season.

Magic Hat

by Magic Hat » 23 Apr 2015 08:02

Ian Royal
RoyalBlue
Ian Royal 60%+ possession and 20 shots without ever actually theatening to score, the same problem endlessly repeated then the inevitable goal conceded.

I may be stretching it a bit with shambles, but did anyone seriously have any confidence we'd win?

Exactly this. Strange people are now praising the pretty approach play, despite the lack of end result - something that Adkins was criticised for!

As someone asked on BBCRB - do they actually have any goals at the training ground to practice shooting into?!

It is very difficult to continually defend 0 and Clarke's teams are far too often producing 0.

Last season Obita produced some lovely set plays and crosses. This season his crossing and that of everyone else has been disgraceful.

Adkins may not have had a cluee how to coach a side defensively, but I've seen nothing to suggest Clarke has a clue offensively. What does he do with them in training that their crossing and shooting is so utterly lacklustre?

And his attempts to address it have been to buy players who are even shitter at scoring than the ones we've got. He's not even tried to address the gaping chasm on our left flank.

Tbf he only bought Yakubu on the cheap and brought Appiah in on loan. With no cash in January, what else could he have done?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Apr 2015 08:07

We had cash in Jan though. There was money set aside for Murray, but we spent the whole month chasing him, when it was obvious that he had no intention of coming back.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 23 Apr 2015 08:27

Feels to me like the only support Clarke gets is from those who hated Adkins and want their opinion vindicated.

I wasn't happy with Adkins but Clarke been worse. Without the FA cup semi final there would be nothing really to hide behind.

In my opinion we either have to face facts and admit Clarke isn't the saviour we want him so desperately to be or the team arent good enough and have been the problem all along, suffered by all our recent managers.

If it is the latter, you have to ask how they managed to put in a performance like they did against Arsenal and why they can't replicate that - which in my mind brings it back to the manager again.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Apr 2015 08:37

Extended-Phenotype Feels to me like the only support Clarke gets is from those who hated Adkins and want their opinion vindicated.

I wasn't happy with Adkins but Clarke been worse. Without the FA cup semi final there would be nothing really to hide behind.

In my opinion we either have to face facts and admit Clarke isn't the saviour we want him so desperately to be or the team arent good enough and have been the problem all along, suffered by all our recent managers.

If it is the latter, you have to ask how they managed to put in a performance like they did against Arsenal and why they can't replicate that - which in my mind brings it back to the manager again.

First team / strong team out against Arsenal = competitive

Changes / youth / mixed up = below average

It ain't hard to see this. Geez why are people struggling with the concept. Clarke has tried to shake it up with what he has plus extras.... League form did not come off.

Judge him at Xmas. It will be exciting times in summer and clarkes team.

Results don't show it but football is far better under Clarke.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 23 Apr 2015 08:41

I just don't understand how we can go from just missing out on the play offs last season, to being a few points above the relegation zone this season

We only lost Morro and Alf - maybe that's the problem.....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Apr 2015 08:46

Extended-Phenotype Feels to me like the only support Clarke gets is from those who hated Adkins and want their opinion vindicated.

And yourself, Ian and RB are doing the same thing but to the other extreme, defending Adkins because you don't want to admit that he failed to live up to the hype you built him up with after his appointment.

You seem to be the last three left in that regard as most of the other people who very vocally backed him can admit it just wasn't working out where it matters.

Now Clarke has made mistakes. However, he has at least shown some understanding of what our problems are, something which Adkins either didn't want to admit there were problems or couldn't see what they were.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 23 Apr 2015 08:48

7 points from the last possible 33

Our worst run of form for some time I imagine.

:lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Apr 2015 09:02

TBM I just don't understand how we can go from just missing out on the play offs last season, to being a few points above the relegation zone this season

Brighton - Made the play-offs last season = struggled as badly, if not worse than us this
Wigan - made the play-offs last season = relegated bar some minor miracle this

It's a concern but not unique to us.

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 23 Apr 2015 09:25

Stranded Brighton - Made the play-offs last season = struggled as badly, if not worse than us this

Can even happen during the season - who remembers Millwall in the mid 90's? Top at Christmas, relegated by May.

Just demonstrates how important team spirit and belief is at this level - most of the players in the Championship are about the same level ability-wise; it's being able to focus those abilities consistently that brings success.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Apr 2015 09:32

TBM I just don't understand how we can go from just missing out on the play offs last season, to being a few points above the relegation zone this season

1. Lost a very decent CB, so we let in more goals first half of the season

2. Lost a prolific striker and spent this season missing chances.

No Brainer. Then add in the injuries to Williams, McCleary, Karacan... add in a change of manager and a change of ownership

Yet we got to an FA Cup Semi-Final, showing that we have the players with ability
just weren't right for the 46-Game slog.

I for one feel very optimistic and I'm hoping RFC are crazy odds next season for a nice bet

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 23 Apr 2015 09:43

paultheroyal

First team / strong team out against Arsenal = competitive

Changes / youth / mixed up = below average

It ain't hard to see this. Geez why are people struggling with the concept. Clarke has tried to shake it up with what he has plus extras.... League form did not come off.

Judge him at Xmas. It will be exciting times in summer and clarkes team.

Results don't show it but football is far better under Clarke.

Of recent games, I can only really recall Blackpool and Watford being teams that have been vastly changed. So what excuses the other poor results? I know hypothetical, but If Millwall, Wigan etc had managed to put a few results together - you have to imagine we would have struggled to stay up. Clearly these players have the ability, as shown against Arsenal, so it's either the manager or their application / motivation which is the issue.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 23 Apr 2015 09:55

Stranded

Brighton - Made the play-offs last season = struggled as badly, if not worse than us this

I know what you're saying but

Brighton lost Ulloa, Buckley, Upson, Andrews - 4 key players for them last season

Wigan lost Gomez, McArthur, McManaman, Maloney, Watson, Powell from last seasons squad

All we lost was a centre half who only played half the season and a striker who again only started half the games in the season.......but scored 15 goals

I think that last line is the key one and its one we never replaced once Murray went back to Palace

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Apr 2015 09:58

Our league form has been really bad, all due to our inability to score goals IMO, but you can't just look at those results without the context of the cup run and now Clarkes assessment of the squad for next season.

Obviously we'd rather have a few more results in the bag but some of those poor results have been due to fielding a scratch team to save players for the cup games or due to the fixture congestion the run caused.

My main concern for the next few games is that Clarke might tinker too much and we'll run the risk of carrying the momentum of a bad end to this season into next season (a Coppell theory I think has some weight). Ultimately though I don't think we've played that badly and I'm a big believer that over time results will follow performances (although it really depends on our ability to find a goalscorer to lead the line).

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Apr 2015 10:04

Snowball 1. Lost a very decent CB, so we let in more goals first half of the season

2. Lost a prolific striker and spent this season missing chances.

I don't disagree that the loss of those two had an effect but our change in defensive performance isn't anything to do with personnel really (although Hector is improving) it's all down to the change in tactics and organisation that Clarke has brought in.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 23 Apr 2015 10:06

I'll judge Clarke next season. Sounds like we will get rid of the deadwood in the squad, and i like how he conducts himself in interviews.

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 23 Apr 2015 10:07

Winston Smith 7 points from the last possible 33

Wow - just how shit are the teams below us?

Staggeringly bad.

I think we've just go to strike off this year and start building for the next. I still think it's unfair to judge Clarke on this season.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 23 Apr 2015 12:02

Angry Shed Sex
Winston Smith 7 points from the last possible 33

Wow - just how shit are the teams below us?

Only Blackpool have been worse during that run

http://weekendfootball.co.uk/analysis/form.asp?l=2&season=15&formtype=&gamescount=11

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Apr 2015 12:06

its the effect on the squads morale that had imo

, theyre looking to push on in their careers and the club, and all of a sudden the rug is pulled out from them and their all thinking, well what chance do we have now, when we are selling our best players to stop us going out of business, and cant afford to buy replacements due to FFP.
whats the oxf*rd point.

its not conscious, its not about effort. but the mental side of things is hard to control, and it must have had a really big effect on them all.

356 posts