Next Captain

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Captain

by NewCorkSeth » 04 May 2015 22:39

Right i see the way this question is going.. If Clarke was to bring in a new player and make him capyain who would you like that player to be?

I think, regardless of whether our 3 amigos stay, it might be a fair shout bringing in someone new to be captain anyway!

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 04 May 2015 23:44

Surely it's Gunter or Williams in the current squad. If only Cox was half decent.

Should just give it to Akpan for the lolz.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 05 May 2015 01:01

I can't believe people are suggesting Williams. Loses his head so easily and gets into fights with the rest of the team. What good is he going to be when someone's in the face of the ref and needs pulling away.

One of Pearce or Karacan need to stay. Hector's got potential but as pointed out is a bit new to it all and no-one else really stands out.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 05 May 2015 03:35

Actually I would go with Williams too. He has passion; he leads by example; he puts himself about a bit! OK - sometimes he puts himself about too much but sometimes being given responsibility has the effect of bringing the best out of people (Wayne Rooney for example!) and I think that could be the case with Williams.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 May 2015 06:22

Royal Ginger I can't believe people are suggesting Williams. Loses his head so easily and gets into fights with the rest of the team. What good is he going to be when someone's in the face of the ref and needs pulling away.

One of Pearce or Karacan need to stay. Hector's got potential but as pointed out is a bit new to it all and no-one else really stands out.

There's just a serious lack of alternatives.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 May 2015 07:14

Ian Royal I hope he is captain eventually. I'd just rather he has less to concentrate on whilst breaking into the first team.

For natural leaders being made captain doesn't change much though. You are made captain because you lead, not made captain in order to lead. Gunter struggled because it's not a natural role for him.
Obviously there is a certain amount of off the field work but it's not that much at our level.
As I said I do think it may be a bit early for Kuhl, and he 's not even making the bench yet let alone the team, but I don't think he'd have too much trouble with the job and it would possibly even help rather than hinder his development when he does make the break through.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 May 2015 07:15

Ian Royal I hope he is captain eventually. I'd just rather he has less to concentrate on whilst breaking into the first team.

For natural leaders being made captain doesn't change much though. You are made captain because you lead, not made captain in order to lead. Gunter struggled because it's not a natural role for him.
Obviously there is a certain amount of off the field work but it's not that much at our level.
As I said I do think it may be a bit early for Kuhl, and he 's not even making the bench yet let alone the team, but I don't think he'd have too much trouble with the job and it would possibly even help rather than hinder his development when he does make the break through.
Most important factor would be whether he commands the respect of the players

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 May 2015 08:34

Sometimes, making a hot-head Captain calms him down

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 05 May 2015 08:47

Depends what off field role the captain at RFC is expected to take on. It varies hugely from club to club, and the armband coin flipping part that the fans see can often be just a tiny part.

I believe it was Roy Keane who sat in on all meetings between Utd & the youngsters looking to sign their first pro contracts. He took it upon himself to make sure they all got fair deals and neither party took the piss.

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 05 May 2015 09:12

Whilst I'm not particularly for a loanee getting the armband. If Chalobah does stay, why not him? Certainly on the pitch he would have the presence but not sure what he would do off the pitch. Would he have the commitment to do all the other things associated with being captain? Not good for the club going forward but could teach Hector a thing or two in readiness.
Last edited by UpThePrem on 05 May 2015 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

Kuhl_Runnings

by Kuhl_Runnings » 05 May 2015 10:03

Williams - passion/quality/loud/commanding
Mackie (if we keep him) - same reasons as Williams
Federici - been here for a while and clearly cares about the club

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 May 2015 10:12

In terms of new signings my preference is midfielder>cb>fullback>winger>striker>keeper

All other things being equal in captain stakes.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 May 2015 10:43

The captain should be the one who leads by example, based on this season if we resign Mackie I'd make him captain (if he wants it, lots of responsibility/hassle comes with it)

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 05 May 2015 15:09

Snowball Sometimes, making a hot-head Captain calms him down

Which was in my mind in voting for Williams. Long-term, if we can keep him, I'm sure Kuhl will be the answer but he is too young at the moment.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 05 May 2015 17:39

Will throw a comopletely random one in, we, according to reports over the past couple of years, have been chasing Gareth McAuley from Clarkes old West Brom side, 35 years old, yes, but bags of experience to help the youngsters. Just a option.

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 15 May 2015 10:51

Say no more, a player who knows about being a captain, generates feelings:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32750506

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 May 2015 11:26

Rather have Jermaine Beckford or Keith Andrews

Bob1871

by Bob1871 » 16 May 2015 09:55

If Pearce/Karacan go then for me the obvious choice is Hector, seems very vocal on the pitch already and if we are bringing the kids through this year is a great player to support what going through that process is like. Also much prefer the captain to be a defender!

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 17 May 2015 17:04

Bob1871 If Pearce/Karacan go then for me the obvious choice is Hector, seems very vocal on the pitch already and if we are bringing the kids through this year is a great player to support what going through that process is like. Also much prefer the captain to be a defender!

I think it would be a risk not worth taking to give Hector the captaincy. He's done really well this season, but he's still raw and makes mistakes. It would simply not be worth jeopardising his progress by giving him this additional responsibility. It's not the on pitch stuff - he'll do that naturally, the shouting/organising he does - it's all the other stuff that would worry me....press, dealing with all that off field crud that captains will inevitably have to do. Let him mature into the player we think he can be...make it too difficult too soon and there's always the risk his performances will fall off. Too much downside risk for me.

scumbag

by scumbag » 17 May 2015 18:08

Williams with Hector as vice.