FIFA

464 posts
Uke
Hob Nob Legend

Re: FIFA

by Uke » 30 May 2015 09:55

Is there a table of FIFA investment per head of population per country?

I do hope that the investment in Cook Island Football has managed to trickle down to the grass roots

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 30 May 2015 10:16

I think that's the point, it's much easier for Blatter to buy the Cook Island vote with a new $50k pitch than other larger countries.

I've never seen the numbers split, they just quote total/regional bribes/investment

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 30 May 2015 10:32

Royal Rother Or looking after No 207 in the case of the Cook Islands.

:lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 May 2015 11:17

In fairness to the African and Asian FAs, Blatter did oversee the first Asian and African World Cups; breaking the strangle hold of Europe and the Americas.

So it's not surprising they support him, especially with the kick backs. A very prudent and longsighted strategy for him.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 30 May 2015 12:09

Evil mastermind.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 30 May 2015 12:58

Following Blatters latest rant about Euro hate, UK and US sour grapes and US sponsoring Jordan, he seems to be in denial that there there is a corruption problem to address. Either it's a fabricated witch hunt motivated by sour grapes or there are genuine bribery and corruption issues for FIFA to sort out.

If he were genuinely concerned and unaware of the problems he should be thanking the US for highlighting the bad apples in his organisation and cooperating with the investigation, rather than complaining about who had raised the uncomfortable (to be proven) truth.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 May 2015 14:12

PieEater I think that's the point, it's much easier for Blatter to buy the Cook Island vote with a new $50k pitch than other larger countries.

I've never seen the numbers split, they just quote total/regional bribes/investment

That's the key, Blatter just has to say "I'll authorise the money for 2 pitches, wink, wink, nudge, nudge" and when you multiply that across the bulk of the AFC, CAF, OFC and CONCACAF and you've got 140+ member associations where $100,000 can go a long way. £20m is nothin all in modern football and that can secure the support of three quarters of the members, old Sepp can keep it all at arms length and go on about helping grass roots football in developing nations.

Lets be honest, as the elected president of an organisation, the buck stops with him. He either knows about the corruption which makes him complicit or he doesn't know about it, which makes him incompetent because it's fcuking rife at the highest level. It's not like he's the Queen and just a figurehead with no influence or direct responsibility.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 May 2015 15:26

From Despair To Where?
PieEater I think that's the point, it's much easier for Blatter to buy the Cook Island vote with a new $50k pitch than other larger countries.

That's the key, Blatter just has to say "I'll authorise the money for 2 pitches, wink, wink, nudge, nudge" and when you multiply that across the bulk of the AFC, CAF, OFC and CONCACAF and you've got 140+ member associations where $100,000 can go a long way. £20m is nothin all in modern football and that can secure the support of three quarters of the members, old Sepp can keep it all at arms length and go on about helping grass roots football in developing nations.

I think some of FIFA's support for the "lesser" nations goes further than that. Believe in some cases they'll help cover expenses and insurance for players on international duty e.g. flying players from their clubs to meet up with their internationals squads

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 30 May 2015 23:10

Kitsondinho 2018 seems to be the one they are threatening to boycott. Platini seems fairly keen on driving something through.....but will he get the support for all of UEFA? I'm not so sure.

I think we can safely say that all of UEFA will not support boycotting the Russian world cup.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 30 May 2015 23:50

Bandini
Kitsondinho 2018 seems to be the one they are threatening to boycott. Platini seems fairly keen on driving something through.....but will he get the support for all of UEFA? I'm not so sure.

I think we can safely say that all of UEFA will not support boycotting the Russian world cup.

I dunno, Putin is fairly unpredictable!! :wink:
Spain and Portugal would also probably not boycott it either. As I've previously mentioned, Blatter has too much dirt on their vote sharing with Qatar......not that it helped them get the World Cup!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 May 2015 01:12

Sutekh
From Despair To Where?

I think some of FIFA's support for the "lesser" nations goes further than that. Believe in some cases they'll help cover expenses and insurance for players on international duty e.g. flying players from their clubs to meet up with their internationals squads

I realise that, my point was more that the revenue required to curry favour with 140 members is in the sort of range that can be raised by a 30 second advert break during the World Cup final. If you are inclined to "buy" these organisations, it's easy to divert relatively small funds. Clearly for Blatter it's a means by which to limit the influence of the money rich Confederations.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 31 May 2015 11:14

Looks like Barclays, Standard Chartered and HSBC were the conduits for the illegal payments. Why does the involvement of British banks not surprise me?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 31 May 2015 13:51

Pseud O'Nym Looks like Barclays, Standard Chartered and HSBC were the conduits for the illegal payments. Why does the involvement of British banks not surprise me?

Them and many others....

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 31 May 2015 20:15

No big shocker really, the the worlds biggest banks being used to pigeon hole money into.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 31 May 2015 20:50

AthleticoSpizz No big shocker really, the the worlds biggest banks being used to pigeon hole money into.

The Industrial & Commercial Bank of China was involved? :shock:

Seriously I think only HSBC makes the top 10.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 31 May 2015 21:09

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 01 Jun 2015 09:54

Jack WaROFLner

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 01 Jun 2015 12:41

“Nothing I have done within Fifa has been inconsistent with the international culture of Fifa.”

No shit, Jack

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 01 Jun 2015 13:05

ZacNaloen “Nothing I have done within Fifa has been inconsistent with the international culture of Fifa.”

A defence line that seems oh so familiar, i.e. everyone was doing it and the lead came from the top. Proving illegal activity shall be difficult and in circumstances such Teflon leaders never seem to be called to account for their actions.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 01 Jun 2015 13:21

srsly, who gives a fck?

Posters on this thread, egged on by the press obviously.

No doubt FIFA are bent, just like the IOC. But how does it affect YOU? What difference does it make (winky to Kes)?

#fauxoutrage

464 posts