Should we be signing a new goalkeeper

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Should we be signing a new goalkeeper

by paddy20 » 27 Aug 2015 17:15

Apart from our weakness up front we clearly have a massive problem in goal. Should we be looking for another keeper, perhaps on loan as despite the strength of our defence this could be a real area of concern. As it seems we are losing most of our targets with Chalobah, Beric seem to be falling away should our direction be away from midfield and instead between the sticks?

RustyRoyal

Re: Should we be signing a new goalkeeper

by RustyRoyal » 27 Aug 2015 17:37

No, I'm confident that one of them will come good. Or at least average. Besides, with them both on 2/3 year contracts we don't really want them getting unhappy and moaning about even less game time.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 27 Aug 2015 17:52

Who is third choice? If they are nowhere near possible first team action then yes, we should sign a new goalkeeper.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Aug 2015 18:22

Bond is a young keeper with potential and as such will make mistakes and learn from them, I think he'll be solid from now. Keep him first choice. It's Al-Habsi that has looked properly suspect.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 27 Aug 2015 18:35

Over the course of Saturday, Monday, Tuesday I observed each of our three main goalkeepers.

Frightening stuff.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Aug 2015 19:14

Armadillo Roadkill Who is third choice? If they are nowhere near possible first team action then yes, we should sign a new goalkeeper.

Stuart Moore. On Monday, he punched a cross into his own net. Good shot stopper but terrible handling.

I said it in jest in another thread, but we should get Dan Lincoln back.

CrowthorneRoyal

by CrowthorneRoyal » 28 Aug 2015 09:51

SCIAG
Armadillo Roadkill Who is third choice? If they are nowhere near possible first team action then yes, we should sign a new goalkeeper.

Stuart Moore. On Monday, he punched a cross into his own net. Good shot stopper but terrible handling.

Really surprised they didnt use Lewis Ward in goal on Monday. He seems much better than Moore

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 28 Aug 2015 10:03

SCIAG

Was it Lincoln or Henley that's just been signed by Leicester or Ipswich or someone? Honestly can't remember or seem to find it on google.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 28 Aug 2015 10:03

Nah. I'm convinced our keepers won't be poor all season.

Hopefully just a case of early season nerves.

Spend the money on getting in Strikers & attacking midfielders.

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 28 Aug 2015 10:04

Never worry we have Dave Beasant who can tell Bond and Al that he had a career in goal and was similarly known for making mistakes as per his time with Newcastle United: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-uniteds-worst-xi-worst-1365745
Newcastle United: 1988. Games played: 20
Beasant – who once dropped a bottle of salad cream on to his foot to rule him out of first team selection in his Chelsea days – was one of those who came in to bolster the team but he didn’t quite cut the mustard, and laid the foundations for the team that suffered relegation at the end of the 1988/89 season.
Beasant had arrived as the Wimbledon keeper that lifted the FA Cup in 1988 and United splashed out £750,000 for his services. It was soon evident that Beasant wasn’t the man to don the number 1 shirt on Tyneside.
Within 34 seconds of his Newcastle career Beasant was fishing the ball out of his net in a 4-0 loss at Goodison Park with Tony Cottee grabbing a hat-trick and by early 1989 he was a goner.
It took Newcastle two months to get their first win that season, but Beasant didn’t see the season out and was sold to Chelsea. Needless to say there wasn’t much of a farewell party.
Despite being able to catch a cold at St James’ Park, Beasant, renowned for bloopers, returned to Tyneside in 1992 as a Grimsby player after being sacked by Ian Porterfield at Stamford Bridge and loaned out to the Codheads where he kept a clean sheet to end Newcastle’s 100% start.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Aug 2015 10:55

GH Royal
SCIAG

Was it Lincoln or Henley that's just been signed by Leicester or Ipswich or someone? Honestly can't remember or seem to find it on google.

Jon Henly has signed for Ipswich.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 28 Aug 2015 11:29

Rollerbob Nah. I'm convinced our keepers won't be poor all season.

Score more goals than we concede? :wink:

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 28 Aug 2015 12:05

Gordons Cumming
Rollerbob Nah. I'm convinced our keepers won't be poor all season.

Score more goals than we concede? :wink:

Exactly. Our defence are solid at the moment - If we can get in a good couple of attacking players in before Tues night, we can win every game 2-1. ;)

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 28 Aug 2015 12:11

If we're talking goalkeepers we have to talk goalkeeping coach as well.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 28 Aug 2015 12:47

Forbury Lion If we're talking goalkeepers we have to talk goalkeeping coach as well.

Agreed. A young and inexperienced goalkeeper, as well as one known for making the odd howler, coached by Beasant? I don't think the mistakes will stop anytime soon.

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 28 Aug 2015 12:56

Ben Hamer gone to Bristol on loan from Leicester - might have helped Bond ease in more than shaky Ali

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Aug 2015 13:00

Despite the "errors" how many goals have Reading conceded this season? Only game where two were conceded one was a wicked deflection. Bond is a young man with a bright future. Can only get better.

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 28 Aug 2015 13:37

Can someone remind me please - what happened to Andersen, did we let him go before Feds left or did he not want to stay ?

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 28 Aug 2015 13:41

royal_rumble
Forbury Lion If we're talking goalkeepers we have to talk goalkeeping coach as well.

Agreed. A young and inexperienced goalkeeper, as well as one known for making the odd howler, coached by Beasant? I don't think the mistakes will stop anytime soon.

Think it would be a mistake to say these goalkeepers have just been signed therefore we have to go with them otherwise we look a bit silly. Both signings look probably poor at this stage so best to realise that and rectify quickly. It will be a shame if we bring in a top striker but lose games to stupid goalkeeping mistakes. Could be difference to mid table or play off position.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 Aug 2015 14:43

paddy20

Think it would be a mistake to say these goalkeepers have just been signed therefore we have to go with them otherwise we look a bit silly. Both signings look probably poor at this stage so best to realise that and rectify quickly. It will be a shame if we bring in a top striker but lose games to stupid goalkeeping mistakes. Could be difference to mid table or play off position.

It worries me that you seriously believe all that. Oh dear.