Dellor moaning about Vydra again!!!

537 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Dellor moaning about Vydra again!!!

by Hoop Blah » 22 Apr 2016 18:32

P!ssed Off How many outfield players have appeared in each of the last 8 games?
Vydra.

But yeah, you're right, McDermott's actually dropped him because he's only started five of those eight and didn't play when he was injured prior to that...

You're seriously suggesting that Vydra didn't get dropped?

Ola John also played in those 8 games by the way.

And why 8 games? Why not 7?

Cox, Norwood, Quinn plus Williams, Cooper and McShane (apart from games they've been suspended for) have been ever presents over that run of games since the cup defeat to Palace.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 22 Apr 2016 18:39

Extended-Phenotype Yeah, eat the bread around the filling. The filling isn't important.

The filling being what? Who to play instead?

Vs Hull: Watson, Evans, Barrett, Kermorgant.

Vs Leeds: Rakels, Barrett, Ferdinand, Kuhl, Watson

Vs Boro: McCleary, Hector, Rakels, Evans

etc

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 22 Apr 2016 18:53

Hoop Blah
P!ssed Off How many outfield players have appeared in each of the last 8 games?
Vydra.

But yeah, you're right, McDermott's actually dropped him because he's only started five of those eight and didn't play when he was injured prior to that...

You're seriously suggesting that Vydra didn't get dropped?

Ola John also played in those 8 games by the way.

And why 8 games? Why not 7?

Cox, Norwood, Quinn plus Williams, Cooper and McShane (apart from games they've been suspended for) have been ever presents over that run of games since the cup defeat to Palace.

8 games since Vydra was deemed fit enough to start after injury.

Missed John, good spot. Norwood incorrect though.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Apr 2016 20:04

Deemed fit and then dropped on two occasions (3 games).

True, Norwood was only ever present the last 6 games, it was more just an example of yet another player who's played pretty much every game.

Gunter and Obita could be thrown in there if it weren't for injuries.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Apr 2016 07:44

P!ssed Off
Hoop Blah
SCIAG Barrett - potential mindset issues

What's that referring to??

Isn't he more a midfielder, or is that just splitting hairs?

Probably just SCIAG trying to appear ITK, as per.

I never claim to be itk but in this case I can confirm that internal reports do confirm that Barrett is indeed a very talented footballer who has a dreadful attitude. Petulant, arrogant, sulky and rude is what I've heard.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Apr 2016 11:05

P!ssed Off
Extended-Phenotype Yeah, eat the bread around the filling. The filling isn't important.

etc

Wtf? Watson's a right back, Ferdinand a centre back, and Kuhl and Evans are midfielders. What have they got to do with Vydra starting. Kermorgant only stopped playing coz of the imminent arrival of baby.

Strikers or wingers are the alternatives and we have few options there.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 23 Apr 2016 11:40

Ian Royal
P!ssed Off

etc

Wtf? Watson's a right back, Ferdinand a centre back, and Kuhl and Evans are midfielders. What have they got to do with Vydra starting. Kermorgant only stopped playing coz of the imminent arrival of baby.

Strikers or wingers are the alternatives and we have few options there.

You can say that as many times as you like, it doesn't make it true.
An additional CB or CM to the formation would be more effective than playing Vydra.
Playing a right back at right back and moving McCleary further forward is not particularly complicated, not sure how you're struggling to comprehend that one.

As for Kermorgant, did I include him as an alternative when he was on baby watch? No.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Apr 2016 11:57

We're already narrow, you can't go one up front and go even more narrow.

Drop Vydra for a defender or midfielder and you need to make more changes to the team to get the balance right. For all his total inability to score he's still bringing positives, causing defenders problems and some of his link up play is at times almost sublime. If you drop him it has to be for someone who can replace the attacking threat he brings.

Expecting Barrett to come in and pick up the job is really too much pressure IMO. John's got a bit more final product but does far less for the team the rest of the time. McCleary's done little in attack all season. Rakels has been injured. Kermorgant is worse.

Persistence has worked for McDermott before. In the abscence of a clear better alternative, which there isn't, it's entirely reasonable to play him.

Especially as we've played well the last few games and have only been beaten due to a patchwork defence.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 23 Apr 2016 12:05

He offers no attacking threat, his contribution is nil.

Last four starts as per whoscored:

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Apr 2016 12:09

Ian Royal Especially as we've played well the last few games and have only been beaten due to a patchwork defence.

We don't defend as a team. Too many passengers in midfield/attack.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Apr 2016 13:45

Lower West
Ian Royal Especially as we've played well the last few games and have only been beaten due to a patchwork defence.

We don't defend as a team. Too many passengers in midfield/attack.

A little, although I don't agree there's many passengers defensively in midfield or attack with our starting line up. A team in poor form not taking enough of its chances is likely to get punished regularly. You can hardly point at midfield or attack for Hull's first goal, as an example. There have definitely been others too.

Let's remember that of our back five, three of the first choice players are unavailable and the defender that's left is young, inexperienced and has consequently had some significant slip ups.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 Jul 2020 14:03

Top Flight Dellor has just completed his weekly 20 minute moan about Vydra and is expecting the social media backlash so I thought I would get it kicked off over here on HNA.

Dellor SHUT UP. You're talking rubbish!

In all honesty, it's getting harder to argue in Vydra's favour against Dellor every week. Especially after Dellor has done his homework and can state that Vydra hasn't scored in the league for us since McDermott has been our manager.

I still don't think it is entirely Vydra's fault and it's wrong to constantly blame Vydra for problems that run far deeper than Vydra alone.

if its not Puscas its Vydra.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Jul 2020 15:01

paultheroyal
Top Flight Dellor has just completed his weekly 20 minute moan about Vydra and is expecting the social media backlash so I thought I would get it kicked off over here on HNA.

Dellor SHUT UP. You're talking rubbish!

In all honesty, it's getting harder to argue in Vydra's favour against Dellor every week. Especially after Dellor has done his homework and can state that Vydra hasn't scored in the league for us since McDermott has been our manager.

I still don't think it is entirely Vydra's fault and it's wrong to constantly blame Vydra for problems that run far deeper than Vydra alone.

if its not Puscas its Vydra.

Yep, it's almost as if having goal scoring issues for 4 years, despite trying different strikers, it might not be an issue with the strikers.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 Jul 2020 15:06

Hang on, those two are some of the most expensive transfer fees we’ve ever paid and are are both total pony. I think Dellor has every right to expect more from Puscas, like us all. As for Vydra...he was factually the worst signing we’ve ever made and should never play professional football again.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Jul 2020 15:34

Maybe the issues are

1. Identifying and buying the wrong type of strikers - the fault of the scouts/manager/others at the club
2. Playing the wrong tactics to get the best out of the strikers - the fault of the manager? (although sometimes you have to play in a way that gets the best result, not the most goals for a particular striker)
3. Failing to support the strikers needs e.g. psychological support (you need your head in the game at all times and strong belief in your ability - Listen to the Dave Kitson BBC Berks podcast, he believed he was the best player out there at all times and that he had to show it).

Since Bowen came in, we have I believe signed just the one striker - Lucas Joao and he does seem to be the right fit for the tactics we play and has had a positive impact so the signs are good that the club may be on the right tracks with regards to signing strikers - time will tell, but if we get the next 1 right we could have a great partnership up front with a fit Joao.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Jul 2020 15:38

Strikers are fine.

Service is shite.

We don't cross.

We don't create.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 16 Jul 2020 16:02

Tim Dellor is, and always was, a Reading fan, who has his own view on players, just like you and me. He grew up hearing his father commentating on cricket. As all cricket commentators have fill in with off the cuff comments, whenever there is a lull in the game, which is often, is it surprising he does the same. He is not only commentates on football, but also Horse Racing, Rowing, Rugby Cricket etc. He has his own style that has evolved over the years, to encompass all sports, so perhaps he is a Marmite (like him or hate him) character.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Jul 2020 16:04

Forbury Lion Maybe the issues are

1. Identifying and buying the wrong type of strikers - the fault of the scouts/manager/others at the club
2. Playing the wrong tactics to get the best out of the strikers - the fault of the manager? (although sometimes you have to play in a way that gets the best result, not the most goals for a particular striker)
3. Failing to support the strikers needs e.g. psychological support (you need your head in the game at all times and strong belief in your ability - Listen to the Dave Kitson BBC Berks podcast, he believed he was the best player out there at all times and that he had to show it).

Since Bowen came in, we have I believe signed just the one striker - Lucas Joao and he does seem to be the right fit for the tactics we play and has had a positive impact so the signs are good that the club may be on the right tracks with regards to signing strikers - time will tell, but if we get the next 1 right we could have a great partnership up front with a fit Joao.

When you say ‘since Bowen came in’ do you mean as DofF or as manager ?
Bowen was appointed manager after we signed joao. He was DofF when we signed Puscas.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Jul 2020 16:04

John Smith Hang on, those two are some of the most expensive transfer fees we’ve ever paid and are are both total pony. I think Dellor has every right to expect more from Puscas, like us all. As for Vydra...he was factually the worst signing we’ve ever made and should never play professional football again.

Is this the same Vydra I saw playing on the TV last night in the Premiership?

I'd say in the 4 years since he was with us, he's made a better fist of playing professional football than most of our players.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Jul 2020 16:19

Nameless
Forbury Lion Maybe the issues are

When you say ‘since Bowen came in’ do you mean as DofF or as manager ?
Bowen was appointed manager after we signed joao. He was DofF when we signed Puscas.
Manager.

The DoF role is to support the manager, either by helping to sign players the manager wants or the type of players the manager wants but at no point did I recall Gomes complaining that players were singed behind his back. If that had been the case then yes, Bowen would be responsible.

I think of it as under Coppell, Nicky Hammond signed Kitson, Lita and Doyle, but it wasn't his decision. They were scouted, the manager saw them play.... okay, so Hammond did too, but his role was not to block transfers we could afford.

537 posts