Green park station/south Reading station

805 posts
Green
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Green park station/south Reading station

by Green » 26 Feb 2016 10:59

Norfolk Royal I don't share Green's rather world weary pessimism about this. Not surprisingly really as Norwich based Royals fans (pop 1) can now hop onto Crossrail at Liverpool St and be in Reading in a mere trice.

I think it's quite a big deal being on the tube map, albeit as Green says, but surely in his example the district line didn't actually go to Southend in any case, whereas Crossrail, or the Elizabeth Line as it is called, does go to Reading which is a different ballpark.

Hard as it is to believe District line trains used to run all the way from Windsor to Southend, in the 1930s. Crossrail is nothing new in that regard (indeed Thameslink has been providing a through service for North/South journeys through the capital for decades)

But yes I take the point - it is a big deal for Reading and has almost certainly contributed to the recent house price rise in the area.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 26 Feb 2016 11:00

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 29 Feb 2016 15:56

Fair play on that, most interesting.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 10 Mar 2016 11:03

Oh FFS not club policies. This has gone too far now.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Mar 2016 11:08

and Rumours & Gossip

Just the big two to fall.........we're doomed

EDIT, the team board has fallen

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 May 2016 10:05

Bump...

What's happening with this?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 15 Jul 2016 10:23

Is there any updates on this? Last I heard was there were some potential delays due to electrification of the line or something

Frustratingly slow, especially as having this train station could really improve match day transport options and access.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Jul 2016 10:48

The replacements for the Intercity Trains on the FGW network will all be Hybrids, able to run on Electric or Diesel power.....This means, the new trains can be introduced on time without waiting for full electrification to take place...... However, these trains are not running on the Reading to Basingstoke service so there may yet be an issue of trying to fit slower diesels into the timetable with extra time for stopping at the station instead of the faster accelerating electrics that would cover the route quicker, currently on order/being cascaded for the route.

Maybe the hybrids run slower on diesel which means the timetable gaps may work in favour of the green park diesels?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 15 Jul 2016 13:27

Forbury Lion The replacements for the Intercity Trains on the FGW network will all be Hybrids, able to run on Electric or Diesel power.....This means, the new trains can be introduced on time without waiting for full electrification to take place...... However, these trains are not running on the Reading to Basingstoke service so there may yet be an issue of trying to fit slower diesels into the timetable with extra time for stopping at the station instead of the faster accelerating electrics that would cover the route quicker, currently on order/being cascaded for the route.

Maybe the hybrids run slower on diesel which means the timetable gaps may work in favour of the green park diesels?

Maybe a bit of clarification?

They are hybrid electric locomotives. The electricity to power them is either drawn from an overhead line or from an on-board generator that is diesel powered. The drive is identical where ever the electricity comes from.

(the current locomotives are all diesel electric, not pure diesel power, too)

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Jul 2016 13:43

West Stand Man
Forbury Lion The replacements for the Intercity Trains on the FGW network will all be Hybrids, able to run on Electric or Diesel power.....This means, the new trains can be introduced on time without waiting for full electrification to take place...... However, these trains are not running on the Reading to Basingstoke service so there may yet be an issue of trying to fit slower diesels into the timetable with extra time for stopping at the station instead of the faster accelerating electrics that would cover the route quicker, currently on order/being cascaded for the route.

They are hybrid electric locomotives. The electricity to power them is either drawn from an overhead line or from an on-board generator that is diesel powered. The drive is identical where ever the electricity comes from.

Thanks for that.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 17 Jul 2016 21:23

Of the trains used on the Reading to Basingstoke line, the stopping services are worked by Diesel Hydraulic multiple units (class 150) whereas the non-stop Cross Country services are worked by "Voyager" class 220/221 diesel-electric multiple units.

Originally it was planned for Reading - Basingstoke - Southampton to be electrified using the 25kV AC overhead wire system which has just been installed at Reading. However the DfT and Network Rail are having second thoughts about this. So that is probably the source of the information about delays to commissioning Green Park station.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 18 Jul 2016 06:18

I am guessing you are middle aged, live with your mum and own an anorak :wink:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Jul 2016 07:17

Upper West Ginger Of the trains used on the Reading to Basingstoke line, the stopping services are worked by Diesel Hydraulic multiple units (class 150) whereas the non-stop Cross Country services are worked by "Voyager" class 220/221 diesel-electric multiple units.

Originally it was planned for Reading - Basingstoke - Southampton to be electrified using the 25kV AC overhead wire system which has just been installed at Reading. However the DfT and Network Rail are having second thoughts about this. So that is probably the source of the information about delays to commissioning Green Park station.

No way?! That's mental.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 18 Jul 2016 08:27

Royality creeps In I am guessing you are middle aged, live with your mum and own an anorak :wink:

Yes, No, No.
Recently retired after a long career in the rail industry, and still keep my ear to the ground.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 18 Jul 2016 08:38

Reading to Basingstoke electrification is part of the Electric Spine project.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Spine
Whilst it is supposed to be completed by 2019, there is no plan in place to achieve this.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 18 Jul 2016 08:55

It's frustrating that the Green Park station still has not been completed or even that the line is in sight of being used.

It's so overdue, and I think it would be used a fair bit.

Is it not something that Reading Borough Council could push through or try to speed up? I know it's not within their control to do the work but would have thought they could have some influence on it.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 18 Jul 2016 09:42

Forbury Lion
West Stand Man

Thanks for that.

Not all the new trains for the GW main line will be hybrid, (bi mode) powered. Duplicating power sources adds to build cost so the sets for use on purely electrified lines will not have diesel engines. The current incumbents on the Basingstoke line were intended as a temporary, work around solution, utilising some spare kit which basically, no one else wanted.

The obvious answer is electriification. Ideal for frequent stops and allowing trains far quicker acceleration than the snail like 150s

(I am a former FGW Train Manager, I live in South Africa so don't have too many anoraks and my mother died many years ago)

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 18 Jul 2016 11:19

bobby m's syrup Not all the new trains for the GW main line will be hybrid, (bi mode) powered. Duplicating power sources adds to build cost so the sets for use on purely electrified lines will not have diesel engines. The current incumbents on the Basingstoke line were intended as a temporary, work around solution, utilising some spare kit which basically, no one else wanted.

The obvious answer is electriification. Ideal for frequent stops and allowing trains far quicker acceleration than the snail like 150s

(I am a former FGW Train Manager, I live in South Africa so don't have too many anoraks and my mother died many years ago)
I read that the original order was for bi-modes for the routes going down to Devon/Cornwall and electric only for Cardiff/Oxford/Bristol but due to delays they changed them all to bi-mode at considerable expense..... although that's just the HST replacements.

I guess the benefits long term are no loss of service if a section of overhead line is out of service.

The local stoppers are all electric.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 18 Jul 2016 12:24

bobby1413 It's frustrating that the Green Park station still has not been completed or even that the line is in sight of being used.

It's so overdue, and I think it would be used a fair bit.

Is it not something that Reading Borough Council could push through or try to speed up? I know it's not within their control to do the work but would have thought they could have some influence on it.

A new housing estate (village) is half built in Green Park as well now, along with more housing along the A33 on Kennett Island. Plus there's more warehouse going up near the Tip. That's a lot more traffic on the A33 soon. That train station could be a big relief if they ever get it approved. Not to mention REP going up soon. The impact on the roads will be awful.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 18 Jul 2016 20:13

Forbury Lion
bobby m's syrup Not all the new trains for the GW main line will be hybrid, (bi mode) powered. Duplicating power sources adds to build cost so the sets for use on purely electrified lines will not have diesel engines. The current incumbents on the Basingstoke line were intended as a temporary, work around solution, utilising some spare kit which basically, no one else wanted.

I read that the original order was for bi-modes for the routes going down to Devon/Cornwall and electric only for Cardiff/Oxford/Bristol but due to delays they changed them all to bi-mode at considerable expense..... although that's just the HST replacements.

I guess the benefits long term are no loss of service if a section of overhead line is out of service.

The local stoppers are all electric.

. Apologies, I am happy to stand corrected. Sadly, or perhaps not :-) I am a little out of touch. What an absolute cock up and potential waste of money.

805 posts