BFTG Newcastle (A)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG Newcastle (A)

by CountryRoyal » 18 Aug 2016 03:56

First things first that was a significant improvement on Wolves, though the benchmark wasn't exactly set high and don't let that fool you into thinking this was a good performance. Unlike Wolves where the relatively low scoreline flattered us, this evening we got a truely deserved pasting and again had it not been for Al-Habsi it would have been more.

After Saturday's shambles it was evident the players were told to hit more long balls, however were mostly over or under hit, woeful cross fields or floated balls over the defence which were easily headed away. That being said the occasional ball down the channel or a misjudged header meant we got into better positions than we could manage by our new superior "possession" game. I put the word possession in parenthesis because beyond our fetish for square passes round the back 4 there is very little evidence we can actually keep possession. Our ball retention is some of the worst I have ever seen. We are (sometimes) ok at passing it between Gunter, McShane, Al-Habsi, VDB and Obita (emphasis on sometimes) but just like Wolves as soon as we try and pass it up through the middle of the pitch we invariably lose it due to either a misplaced pass or getting tackled/pushed off the ball too easily. The latter becomes more prevalent when we dilly dally on the ball - which is frequently. There is too much indecision when in control of the ball and it slows the play down (sound familiar?), often the player with the ball will have a quick pass that's open, not take it, feign one way, feign the other, get himself into trouble, then either pass back/into touch/hoof it/get tackled. I'm not sure if this comes from a lack of trust in their and their team mates abilities - which judging by some of the touches might be justified but as long as they try to play football at this pace with this much confusion it is only going to end one way. It doesn't help that for me there is so little movement, or not the right kind. The play is so static and lumbered.

When the team was announced there was a general feeling of "here we go again" and rightly so as they continued their defensive form from the last game. We were all over the place, VDB ever cemented the opinion he's a liability at CB and Gunter is still shit. It doesn't help they have so little protection from what has to be the most lightweight midfield in the league, which whenever the opposition have the ball seem to just go walkies. I'm not convinced everyone is actually match fit, or if they are then they are just shit. Our marking is so loose, we consistently get turned inside out, don't close down quick enough, close down the wrong player at the wrong time which creates gaps..etc I can go on. Defensively the most worrying thing is just how oxf*rd soft this team is. VDB aside (makes up for it by being very mediocre in other ares) the team is so lightweight and weak, they really are a bunch of pussies. They get bullied off the ball too easily, don't win much in the air and the amount of times we go in for a challenge and the opposition retain the ball is depressingly staggering. I'd highlight BOTH fullbacks as being particularly weak, in an area which requires some degree of physical dominance of any capacity.

Going forward we were much better today, partly because from time to time we did just that.. actually went forward, we got into a lot more dangerous positions but this time more often than not looked for the cut back, had a couple of shots too. Beerens hitting the post, their keeper (who is ridiculously good btw) pulling off one or two good saves and then the usual dross from Williams and co with tame efforts that don't challenge. Had a few corners, more down to poor communication from Newcastle, which we failed to do anything with. That's now 3 league games without a goal from open play.

Side points, thought fans were decent until Newcastle scored the 3rd, referee was an absolute bottle job, denied the clearest penalty you will ever see and blew up literally EVERYTHING in the home team's favour - I'm guessing hes never refereed in front of 50,000 people before. Stam dissapointed me with the same team selection and then late substitutions. For 50k thought the Newcastle fans were pretty shit and quiet.

Ratings

Al-Habsi 6 - Some good saves, was unlucky with the free kick and penalty as I think he got finger tips to both, felt he should have gotten closer to their first but there were lots of bodies in the box so perhaps didn't see it til late.

Gunter 4 - So lightweight and gets us into trouble with his "clearances"

McShane 5 - Immobile, poor passer of the ball, was week in the challenge and looked a bit at odds.

VDB 5 - Takes no prisoners and I like his agression, but he can't pass for shit and is an utter liability at CB.

Obita 4 - See Gunter, but instead of clearing the ball he likes to run into his own corner.

Williams 5 - Standard Williams. Seemingly at the heart of everything with all of his energy but the truth is he's just not very good. Runs all over the place like a headless chicken, has the touch of a rapist and can't shoot for shit and is weaker than a new born baby.

Evans 3 - I honestly didn't realise he was actually playing until the long distance shot which went high and wide to the right. Very soft.

Swift 5 - Has the ability but too lightweight.

McCleary 7 - Well taken penalty, should have had a second, but still looks a shadow of his former self.

Kermorgant 3 - Just a waste of space tbh.

Beerens 5 - Unlucky with the shot but didn't do a lot else, was it him that tried to dribble out of defence, lose it, then bring the player down for the free kick?

Cba to do subs as they were, again, ineffectual, but thought Mendes looked promising without actually doing anything. Think he should start against Brighton.

Sorry for the essay you can blame the whiskey and over-tiredness, but to end on a positive note; its a gradual process, we haven't found the balance yet and to be honest we might not and probably won't all season. It's very easy for people to say give it time...etc but they are normally the first to call for the manager to be sacked after a few shit performances and results. Like I said, its a gradual process, the changes already from a few days ago were evident I just hope for some form of consistent improvement.

Josef Fritzl

Re: BFTG Newcastle (A)

by Josef Fritzl » 18 Aug 2016 04:52

It was an expected result really. Newcastle were tipped to dominate the league with their squad and we are trialling half a new team and a different style. I think it will take half a season to get into the groove.

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 18 Aug 2016 06:01

Good post CR

Berry

by Berry » 18 Aug 2016 08:50

The master plan is possession, If we can raise it to at least 95% and have our wingers sending in a conveyor belt of crosses one will hit the Kerm and our season will be saved, he will go on to play for France and we will sell him for slightly more than the Pogba deal, the Thai owners will be happy, they will release at least £50 for team rebuilding and were heading for the stars.....Don't mock Kerm....He is our Cantona

Bart7

by Bart7 » 18 Aug 2016 09:15

The scoreline flattered them; we carved out more opportunities and had more of the ball. On another day we probably would have taken a point. They got a very soft penalty when the game was balanced at 1-1 and if that had stayed the score long into the second half then I feel the nerves would have kicked in for Newcastle.

It still looks like a work in process and hopefully in a few weeks we will see a Reading side that is competitive in this league.

Berry

by Berry » 18 Aug 2016 09:22

Bart7 The scoreline flattered them; we carved out more opportunities and had more of the ball. On another day we probably would have taken a point. They got a very soft penalty when the game was balanced at 1-1 and if that had stayed the score long into the second half then I feel the nerves would have kicked in for Newcastle.

It still looks like a work in process and hopefully in a few weeks we will see a Reading side that is competitive in this league.

Are they handing out rose tinted specs to newbies?? Just asking

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Aug 2016 09:33

possession is all well and good at home, but we need to play on the break away from home. we were never going to be good enough to turn up at away grounds and dominate the game.

and also its pretty clear that teams just too a quick look at our possession game, and came up with relatively simple ways to nullify it and pressure our weak back 4 and midfield into giving it away.

striker needed. CB needed.
Variation in play needed.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 18 Aug 2016 09:46

Maneki Neko possession is all well and good at home, but we need to play on the break away from home. we were never going to be good enough to turn up at away grounds and dominate the game.

and also its pretty clear that teams just too a quick look at our possession game, and came up with relatively simple ways to nullify it and pressure our weak back 4 and midfield into giving it away.

striker needed. CB needed.
Variation in play needed.

On the CB front, I noticed that Shane Duffy, who scored two OG's and got sent off for Blackburn last night, is apparently being bought by Brighton for £4m.

How much would a good CB cost????????

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 18 Aug 2016 09:54

I'm pretty chilled out about it.

For me, success this season is finishing 4th from bottom. Right now we are 5th from bottom so are still on track. Stam is doing a great job. There is a monumental amount of work to be done to turn us in to a good team and that will take numerous transfer windows and lots of time on the training ground. Building a good side at Reading is going to take years not months. We have to be patient and support our manager.

Not enough people supported McDermott. Well we had all better support Stam if we want success to come back to Reading.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Aug 2016 09:55

CountryRoyal Our ball retention is some of the worst I have ever seen. We are (sometimes) ok at passing it between Gunter, McShane, Al-Habsi, VDB and Obita (emphasis on sometimes) but just like Wolves as soon as we try and pass it up through the middle of the pitch we invariably lose it due to either a misplaced pass or getting tackled/pushed off the ball too easily. The latter becomes more prevalent when we dilly dally on the ball - which is frequently.

I only listened on the radio last night but I went to Wolves where I thought one of the issues was too much space/not enough options in the middle. Looking at the formation last night it was more 4-5-1 than 4-3-3 if I'm not mistaken? In which case Kermorgant is simply the wrong option and we really need another Doyle/Long all round athletic forward who can play on his own and score.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 18 Aug 2016 10:02

Country Royal called it pretty well. With the style we are trying to play you cannot have any passengers and I think we have got a few. VDB for all his assets is going to be a goal start for the opposition in most games. He cannot pass. Third goal down to him.

Kerm was wearing an invisibility cloak last night. Obita looked terrified in the first half, playing without courage or confidence. We were in the game for over an hour nevertheless but I don't think Newcastle needed to get out of third gear. Stam thought we were the better side. :shock:

Preston results have been poorer than ours - noted for perspective. More signings please.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Aug 2016 10:10

gooding also thought we were the better side first half.
and the goal that made us wilt was the soft home team penalty.

massive capitulation after that though. no spine.

Bart7

by Bart7 » 18 Aug 2016 10:10

Berry
Bart7 The scoreline flattered them; we carved out more opportunities and had more of the ball. On another day we probably would have taken a point. They got a very soft penalty when the game was balanced at 1-1 and if that had stayed the score long into the second half then I feel the nerves would have kicked in for Newcastle.

Or you could look at the stats from the game instead of just looking at the scoreline? Just saying.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Aug 2016 10:18

yep. we played ok, well in the game, but totally folded when we went 2-1 down.

its an away game. you don't win all your away games. especially at Newcastle/Wolves

if we don't get 5 points from Brighton Cardiff Ipswich and Brum I may start to worry though

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 18 Aug 2016 12:08

Maneki Neko yep. we played ok, well in the game, but totally folded when we went 2-1 down.

its an away game. you don't win all your away games. especially at Newcastle/Wolves

if we don't get 5 points from Brighton Cardiff Ipswich and Brum I may start to worry though

Newcastle have been below par so far but it's early days, you can draw a line through Brighton who have hit the ground running, but the others we should get 4-5 points. We need to improve and expect we will as things settle down ...

Berry

by Berry » 18 Aug 2016 12:29

Bart7
Berry

Or you could look at the stats from the game instead of just looking at the scoreline? Just saying.

I was at the game, Does that count????

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Aug 2016 12:39

Maneki Neko yep. we played ok, well in the game, but totally folded when we went 2-1 down.

I think 5 points from our next 4 games is very doable.
I think 7 or possibly 8 is achievable.

Although I am the epitome of optimism.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Aug 2016 15:36

John Smith
CountryRoyal Our ball retention is some of the worst I have ever seen. We are (sometimes) ok at passing it between Gunter, McShane, Al-Habsi, VDB and Obita (emphasis on sometimes) but just like Wolves as soon as we try and pass it up through the middle of the pitch we invariably lose it due to either a misplaced pass or getting tackled/pushed off the ball too easily. The latter becomes more prevalent when we dilly dally on the ball - which is frequently.

I only listened on the radio last night but I went to Wolves where I thought one of the issues was too much space/not enough options in the middle. Looking at the formation last night it was more 4-5-1 than 4-3-3 if I'm not mistaken? In which case Kermorgant is simply the wrong option and we really need another Doyle/Long all round athletic forward who can play on his own and score.

Nail on the head for me. When we progress into the middle of the park the players are too far away from each other and often marked. This means the passes have to be hit harder and our players lack the technical ability to control them and the strength to sustain the challenge. For a possession based game to be successful the passer needs to have options, so players need to try and escape their marker and come in closer. The lack of that can only be put down to a lack of energy or willingness - there is no way they are being coached to stay at medium passing length.

It all comes down to that, the goal for me would ideally to be able to pass it around, constantly having someone show for it to receive the pass. Eventually if we keep the ball in their half and try and get in front of their back four then that's when we need our wingers, midfield runners, and pacy striker (slight issue) to run in behind and stretch the defense.

Newcastle pressed us high, as did Wolves, but they didn't have to do it very well or with much thought. We were very pedestrian.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Aug 2016 19:00

Watched the highlights. Wow.

No pressure on the ball at all. Totally disjointed attack. Soft as a 99 in 37 degree heat. WTF happened to the shape and play against Preston. This isn't just facing better teams, it's a total collapse in application, shape and teamwork.

There seems to be a massive losing mentality at the club.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Aug 2016 19:13

Bart7
Berry

The scoreline is the only stat that matters.