Where Are They Now

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Where Are They Now

by Sutekh » 21 May 2017 11:59

Always thought we could do with a "where are ex-players now" thread. So here is one.

To kick off, here is where Reading's last PL starting XI are currently

http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/20 ... -they-now/

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Where Are They Now

by From Despair To Where? » 21 May 2017 13:33

Apparently "Robson-Kanu will be remembered by all in the club, an instinctive striker with an eye for goal".

Must be a different Robson-Kanu because the one I remember was a skillful winger who failed to live up to his potential because he believed his own hype a bit too much.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 May 2017 13:39

From Despair To Where? Apparently "Robson-Kanu will be remembered by all in the club, an instinctive striker with an eye for goal".

Must be a different Robson-Kanu because the one I remember was a skillful winger who failed to live up to his potential because he believed his own hype a bit too much.

Yep, stopped reading after that :lol:

Davezk

by Davezk » 21 May 2017 13:44

I miss Jobi McAnuff he was a good servent to the club

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 May 2017 16:03

Davezk I miss Jobi McAnuff he was a good servent to the club

One of my favourite ever players and he'd make my all time XI.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 May 2017 16:09

^ this....and one of the few good things that Brendan brought to town.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 21 May 2017 16:51

CountryRoyal
From Despair To Where? Apparently "Robson-Kanu will be remembered by all in the club, an instinctive striker with an eye for goal".

Yep, stopped reading after that :lol:

Never mind HRK, I object to this bit in the first paragraph

They don’t have fond memories of their last game in the top flight, West Ham inflicted a 4-2 loss on the London-based side,

Reading is NOT London. Harrumph

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 21 May 2017 22:16

Striker – Pavel Pogrebynak - Arguably one of the most recognised names from Reading’s Premier League season

Nope. Don't recognise it.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 22 May 2017 06:24

Karacan has just been promoted to the Championship with Bolton Wanderers. However, with five appearances made all season for Bolton, it’s fair to say that the midfielder is struggling to meet the standard since his Reading exit.

Err, he signed for them on March 11th and was on the bench that day, he's appeared in 5 of their other 11 matches since then.

Hopefully, they’ll have a better shot at it should they overcome Huddersfield Town on May 28th, at Wembley.

Balls. Got my tickets for the wrong day.

I'm assuming you didn't write this piece did you Sutekh? Long way from the standard of your great Matchwatch threads. (And I'm guessing you are not an 18year old stundent at Loughborough)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 May 2017 07:24

Good to see Reading's forgotten man Mathew Kelly getting a mention. Although I have no recollection of him I'm impressed at his ability to be towering from a height of just 6'1/2". Goodness knows how you describe Jake Cooper !

Looking through that team it does make me think that our current side is actually much stronger in just about every position. How many of that team would get in the side today ? Jem at his prime for Williams may be ? Jobi for Beerens ?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 May 2017 08:16

Just seen in Backpass magazine that Dave Shipperley passed away in January. I remember him from a game or two around 1980. He was only 64. RIP

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 May 2017 10:07

The link suggests that Gorkss and Guthrie were ever-present. Guthrie made 25 appearances and Gorkss only 17. "Integral" Morrison only played 21 games.

Tickled by the description of Jem as "creative".

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 25 May 2017 13:37

Yep - talented but lazy - which IMHO is the worst sort. Only ever gave it 100% if he was playing for a contract or if he was in a Wales shirt. He would not make it into Stams team and rightly so.

JamieY26

by JamieY26 » 25 May 2017 14:15

"Striker- Hal Robson-Kanu

With almost a decade with Reading, ranging from 2006 to 2017"......

Must have missed him turning out for us this season.....

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 May 2017 14:58

Binfield Royal

Yep - talented but lazy

Don't think he was either of those things to be honest. A decent third-choice winger who tried his best but was pretty limited.
He would not make it into Stams team and rightly so.

He never really got in the team for anyone else either. Never got past 26 starts in a season - and that year our other wingers were Mackie, Blackman, Obita, and a broken McCleary.

Derbyshire Royal

by Derbyshire Royal » 25 May 2017 15:38

Sutekh Just seen in Backpass magazine that Dave Shipperley passed away in January. I remember him from a game or two around 1980. He was only 64. RIP

I was really shocked to see this. It made feel even older than I actually am when I see that he signed for us in 1979.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 May 2017 16:14

SCIAG
Binfield Royal

Yep - talented but lazy

Don't think he was either of those things to be honest. A decent third-choice winger who tried his best but was pretty limited.
He would not make it into Stams team and rightly so.

He never really got in the team for anyone else either. Never got past 26 starts in a season - and that year our other wingers were Mackie, Blackman, Obita, and a broken McCleary.

No, he was a skillful player but he would just disappear in games. He played the full 90 minutes in only a quarter of his 200+ appearances.

To be fair, he did show an eye for goal in the Premiership but usually only the last 10 minutes when the game was already lost. Not forgetting also he has made a pretty successful international career out of running around a bit and creating a distraction for someone else to exploit.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 May 2017 20:48

.......and only if I could've had 5% of the life that he's having

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1