CONFIRMED: Pelle Clement

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

CONFIRMED: Pelle Clement

by LWJ » 28 Jun 2017 15:17

Reading Football Club are delighted to announce the signature of 21-year-old attacking midfielder Pelle Clement who has put pen to paper on a three-year deal with the Royals.

The versatile Amsterdam-born player completed his medical this morning before putting pen to paper to officially sign for the Royals for an undisclosed fee this afternoon – becoming our first acquisition of the summer transfer window.

“Pelle is a player who comes to us from Jong Ajax, having been involved in the first team squad over in Amsterdam last season,” Royals boss Jaap Stam said.

“He will need to learn and adapt to the game over here of course, but he is a young, very promising player with a good personality. He is quick, technically good and has good stamina – and he is capable of playing in midfield, up front or in the wide or wing back positions. So I’m pleased to have him with us here in Reading.”

Clement is a graduate from the esteemed Ajax Academy, quickly establishing himself as a regular at Jong Ajax following his Eerste Divisie debut as an 18-year-old in 2015.

And last season, the highly-regarded midfielder make his full Ajax bow – scoring twice on debut after coming off the bench at half-time in a 6-1 win over Kozakken Boys in the KNVB Cup.

Clement went on to earn a league debut as a second half substitute in another comprehensive victory over NEC in an Eredivisie match that was played in front of nearly 50,000 at the Amsterdam ArenA a month later!

And he also made an appearance in Ajax’s Europa League campaign – replacing Amin Younes in a 2-0 victory over Panathinaikos. Ajax, of course, went on to contest the Final against Manchester United last season.

A Dutch youth international, Clement scored on his full Ajax debut just before Christmas, pulling a goal back in a 2-1 KNVB Cup defeat to SC Cambuur in mid-December.

Now Pelle will join the Dutch revolution in RG2, linking up with his former Jong Ajax coaches - Jaap Stam, Andries Ulderink and Said Bakkati - whilst sharing a first team dressing room with the likes of Joey van den Berg and Roy Beerens.

Chief Executive Nigel Howe said, “We are excited to welcome Pelle to the club – a hungry young player from Holland with plenty of promise. And I am delighted that we have secured our first signature of the summer as the hard work continues apace as we shape a squad and prepare a first team for the brand new challenge of 2017-18.”

The transfer paperwork, of course, remains subject to the normal ratification procedures of the relevant football authorities.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2017/j ... -from-ajax

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIRMED: Pelle Clement

by Focher » 28 Jun 2017 15:24

He's just offered on a 2 bed end terrace in Long Barn Lane today.

Welcome to the club.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 28 Jun 2017 15:26

Now Pelle will join the Dutch revolution in RG2, linking up with his former Jong Ajax coaches - Jaap Stam, Andries Ulderink and Said Bakkati - whilst sharing a first team dressing room with the likes of Joey van den Berg and Roy Beerens.

:|

Let's hope he can pass sideways.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 28 Jun 2017 15:27

Welcome to the Dutch revolution Pelle!

In Jaap we trust, it'll be interesting to see if he is in with the first team from the off. A back up for Swift maybe?

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 28 Jun 2017 15:37

Saw my mate the other day, said i'd seen a white Pele,
So he asked, who is he?
He goes by the name of Clement, Pelle

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 28 Jun 2017 15:48

Rather have Pam St Clement

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jun 2017 15:51

Interesting enough signing. Looks to have a bit of pace on the youtube thing

surely only backup to start the season though

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Jun 2017 16:06

Seems too good/old to sign for the u23s but not up to championship level so seems a strange one.

Anyway, in Stam we trust. Welcome to the club Pelle!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 28 Jun 2017 16:07

This one came out of the blue a bit didn't it? Wikipedia has him down as a striker, judging by the club statement, they see him as a midfielder, I hope that's the case because he has a shocking strike rate if he's meant to be a striker.

Tommio

by Tommio » 28 Jun 2017 16:11

CountryRoyal Seems too good/old to sign for the u23s but not up to championship level so seems a strange one.

He was with Stam for 2 years in the Ajax U21 side, so I'm sure Stam knows that he's good enough.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 28 Jun 2017 16:27

Seems like a signing more in the traditions of the old "Reading way" - young and hungry with potential.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Jun 2017 16:28

Tommio
CountryRoyal Seems too good/old to sign for the u23s but not up to championship level so seems a strange one.

He was with Stam for 2 years in the Ajax U21 side, so I'm sure Stam knows that he's good enough.

Good enough for what though? Since he's made his debut and been in around the first team this season plenty of Ajax fans reckon he's not up to scratch yet, would be more fitting of a lower placed Eredivisie side.

inb4 give the lad a chance, standard reading fans slating a signing before he's kicked a ball... etc etc :lol: :wink:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Jun 2017 16:29

Brum Royal Seems like a signing more in the traditions of the old "Reading way" - young and hungry with potential.

Which is good enough for me. Let's be honest, we don't have the best record of signing "big name" players.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 28 Jun 2017 16:30

CountryRoyal
Brum Royal Seems like a signing more in the traditions of the old "Reading way" - young and hungry with potential.

Which is good enough for me. Let's be honest, we don't have the best record of signing "big name" players.

Oh yeah, definitely. Quite happy with going back to that mould of signing, has served us well in the past.

Tommio

by Tommio » 28 Jun 2017 17:14

CountryRoyal
Tommio

Good enough for what though? Since he's made his debut and been in around the first team this season plenty of Ajax fans reckon he's not up to scratch yet, would be more fitting of a lower placed Eredivisie side.

inb4 give the lad a chance, standard reading fans slating a signing before he's kicked a ball... etc etc :lol: :wink:

Lower placed Eredivisie side, isn't that the same level as us?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Jun 2017 17:17

Tommio
CountryRoyal
Tommio He was with Stam for 2 years in the Ajax U21 side, so I'm sure Stam knows that he's good enough.

Lower placed Eredivisie side, isn't that the same level as us?

I would have suggested lower if I'm being honest.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 28 Jun 2017 17:29

#WelcomeGravenberch

RichTea94

by RichTea94 » 28 Jun 2017 18:26

We didn't really have a 'flair' attacking midfield option to replace Swift with, so if he isn't quite good enough to start then should provide useful depth.

Great name too.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 28 Jun 2017 19:15

Brum Royal
CountryRoyal

Oh yeah, definitely. Quite happy with going back to that mould of signing, has served us well in the past.

What are you two waffling on about? It's a continuation of the current transfer policy and we'll see more arrivals of this mould of player.

Ever since Tevreden arrived 18 months ago he has stated young and hungry talent is what we are looking to bring in to the club as priority before anything else. Eg John Swift, Liam Moore, Tyler Blackett, Yakou Meite.

Its a policy i totally agree with. We'll no doubt need some "big names" (as you call them) at some point, as there's usually a reason people have heard of them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2017 19:53

First of all, welcome to the club. You've got to assume Tev and Jaap know what they're doing having been here a full season and knowing the league he comes from. I quite like the approach of buying younger players with potential and maybe giving them a bit part in their first season whilst they settle and then see if they can play a big role the next year.

On the other hand, I'm always wary of players who are described as being able to play in lots of positions. Pick a position and excel in it, don't be competent in five. That doesn't help us. We have decent depth, we need to improve the first team, not bring in ok cover or players who will 'do a job'.

Look forward to seeing how he gets on.