BFTG - Bolton

marlowuk

Re: BFTG - Bolton

by marlowuk » 07 Mar 2018 01:02

And here is tonight's good news ...

Apart from Bolton obviously, every team below us lost so we are now 5 points from the bottom 3.

Apart from Hull we have the best goal difference out of the bottom 10 teams which could be worth an extra point at the end of the season.

But that's the end of the good news!

Bolton were very physical and we got little protection from the referee. They were out to spoil and to play hoof-ball which they did for most of the game and we let ourselves be brought down to their level. Having said that, Bolton were willing to put their bodies on the line and to play for the shirt. I'm not so sure we were.

It was a good goal by Barrow and, apart from his disastrous pass to ALF, Kelly had another good game. I also don't get the hate for Aluko. I thought he had a good first half although he faded in the second. By contrast, Holmes had a difficult first half but warmed to his task in the second - a satisfactory debut.

A draw was probably a fair result but if any side deserved to win it was Bolton - they had the more clear-cut chances.

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 07 Mar 2018 01:25

My favourite thing tonight was the patronising ripple of applause every time the young lad touched the ball, even when it was gash.

Fair play to him though, showed some bottle, unlike the rest of that shower of shite (I'll exclude Kelly and Barrow as they made an effort).

Leeds are on a shit run of results. They'll win easily.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Mar 2018 02:09

The fastest Martin ran all evening was when he got subbed, I think he`s regretting it already.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Mar 2018 07:08

We looked like a relegation side. We were not only outplayed but outfootballed by a very average Bolton side

Was a very poor quality game. Bolton surprised me in how bad their numerous set pieces were tbh

Kelly, Holmes, Moore and Barrow did fairly well, a few others acceptably, and the usual candidates pretty poorly

Just can’t see what Stam can really defend what we are seeing currently. Any semblance of his philosophy seems to have been binned and we are now playing hit and hope every bit as much as Bolton did. The whole attacking tactic is basically try to get it to Barrow and hope he produces some magic

Depressing evening really

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 07 Mar 2018 07:33

Tonight made me realise the reason why I did not renew this season. Wise decision on my part but I commend those who actually turn up to watch that week in, week out.

The only real spark from both the stands and player himself was when barrow got on the ball. He could end up being the saviour to keep us up, everyone else just didn’t possess any attacking guile.

I feel embarrassed at the purchase of Aluko for the reported fee too, not sure if he can turn it round next season but he looks completely shot of any confidence.

I can only hope we scrape above the dotted line, Stam ventures into a new position for next season and we bring someone in to regalvanise a squad that full of players who forgot the art of playing football!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Mar 2018 07:39

Thought Swift looked tidy when he came on - should have done better with a couple of shots though

Basically hoping there is enough with Swift, Kelly and Barrow playing well enough to scrape us a couple of wins

overwater

by overwater » 07 Mar 2018 07:49

Arrived home last night from yet another 90 minutes of disappointment just in time to hear JS post match interview on BBCRB. Now, I class my self as reasonably well educated, I have sat through many hundreds of hours of corporate conference presentations, I have narrated hours and hours and hours of utter bollox for e learning courses but I admit I dont have a clue what our Manager said!! Any one?? Translation??

tilehurstender

by tilehurstender » 07 Mar 2018 08:04

Thought it was a tough game to hand a 17 year old is debut when we had two players on the bench that Stam brought to the club for several million. Reminded me of Jake Cooper in playing style and build. Understandably looked very nervous and given a run around for most of the game.
We probably won't go down due to there being three teams worse than us, having said that, away games at Fulham,Wolves and Cardiff yet to come added to our inability to win at home could lead to it being close.
Stam appears to be happy with the point and thought it was a fair result? Really, if Bolton had been a half decent side they would have finished the game by half time.
whether we stay up or not surely the owners will remove Stam. He has no connection with the fans and doesn't appear to worry about that . His constant deflecting of blame for this mess ( fans, previous management, teams stopping us playing !) I find ridicously conceited.
What's the chances of Leeds having more fans in the ground on Saturday than us?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Mar 2018 08:09

Hound Thought Swift looked tidy when he came on - should have done better with a couple of shots though

Basically hoping there is enough with Swift, Kelly and Barrow playing well enough to scrape us a couple of wins

We would have been relegated by now without Barrow. The only player who seems to take matters into his own hands and play expressive and attacking football. Hopefully we can keep hold of him this summer.

finchroyal

by finchroyal » 07 Mar 2018 08:24

Preparation for the next game simple, shoot at will, all crosses into the box as close to the clown as possible.
If he plays Reading will win
The keeper is shite.Wieldwald

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Mar 2018 08:31

finchroyal Preparation for the next game simple, shoot at will, all crosses into the box as close to the clown as possible.
If he plays Reading will win
The keeper is shite.Wieldwald

Was this some sort of rubbish attempt at a Haiku or are you dyslexic?

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 07 Mar 2018 08:34

The stick he'll get from both sets of fans when Leeds go one up in Saturday will be a sight to see.

I'd like to say defeat would be enough to see him go, but I doubt it and that's what's killing everyone. There is zero hope.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Mar 2018 08:42

Jaakola was poor-ish. He just didn't inspire any confidence. Didn't ever look like claiming a ball but perhaps punching away is just his style.
Defensively we were very disorganised. It was hard to watch.
Edwards was poor. He had a go at Gunter for quite some time because he himself had passed to where he wanted Gunter to be and not to where Gunter was. I will grant him that Gunter would have been better placed where Edwards wanted him but still.
Kelly had his moments. He still goes for the long ball at the wrong time too often.
Aluko was shite. That's all there is to say about it. He's shite.
Barrow was excellent (one quite poor pass to swift in the second half just outside the box). I like to close my eyes and imagine how good he would have been last year in Beerens spot.
Martin will be disappointed with the quality of service he's getting here. Sadly it's not going to get any better.
I hope we keep getting other results go our way otherwise we are done and down.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Mar 2018 08:45

NewCorkSeth Aluko was shite. That's all there is to say about it. He's shite.

Just come to that conclusion myself. No point bleating on at length about it now. He is just a poor player who should have no place in this side. Offers nothing.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 07 Mar 2018 08:45

That was better than last week but making six changes for a game like this could have been disastrous.

It looked like two teams trying not to lose, as opposed to trying to win, and a draw was a fair result in the end.

Radio Berks after the game is always good for a laugh, but people who think Stam is 'ruining our club' need a bit of perspective. We are not playing well, and we will avoid relegation only by the skin of our teeth on current form. However, as quiet as the owners are, they gave Stam a lot of money in the summer window and the club is still running. We seem to be stable, although that can obviously change.

Stam is an inexperienced manager going through a tough time, and in my opinion not reacting to it particularly well. He seems to be learning some things as we go along, and has taken too long to find a more pragmatic way of playing, but he is not trying to run the club into ruin. He is trying to do well as our manager and is getting it wrong, quite plainly as well. People need to remember that, and also that his personality means he will defend himself and his team when they are criticised. Frankly, I'd rather have that than a manager who openly slags his players off every week. Yes, he has said they need to make decisions on the pitch, etc. but they do still seem to be playing for him.

I like Jaap and I will not forget last season (which many people seem to have done already) but he has been given every chance to succeed here. I'm not a boo-boy and I don't call for managers to get sacked all the time, but we need a huge improvement for the last 11 games or I think it will be fair for Stam to go.

Anssi - 5. One superb save from Le Fondre, everything else was pretty shit. Punching everything, including a free catch at one point in the second half, is poor. I am glad we were going long with goal kicks as default and only short when it was on quick, but if that was all that was going to change I would have kept Mannone in, who I think is better over all and didn't necessarily deserve to be dropped.

Clement - 6. A bright spot from tonight. Playing in an unfamiliar position, I don't think he looked out of place at all. Not perfect by any means, but I thought he did OK. Got stuck in a bit as well.
Holmes - 6. Got dropped right in it and had a few shaky moments early on, but he really wanted to do well and I thought he did. Grew into the game late on and if he continues on this path, could be a useful player for us in the future. I noticed towards the end he didn't seem to be blowing, like some younger players do, and he kept up with the pace of the game well.
Moore - 6. Pretty standard display, couple of good challenges and I could hear him shouting and geeing the team up. I think he should be given the armband. One of the poor points, which applies to pretty much everyone, was not calling for headers and going for the same ball as a team-mate. That shouldn't be happening.
Gunter - 4. Did nothing going forwards, as per usual, and didn't really do a lot defensively either. He never gets close enough to cut crosses off or pressure players. I also can't see why he deserves the armband as the only shouting he does is at the ref or lino, or when he gets involved in handbags with the opponents. Yes, he's an international and has a great engine, and I have defended him in the past, but as a senior player for me he isn't doing enough. What really pisses me off is when McCleary plays, suddenly Gunter looks like a good player again.

Kelly - 6. Once again was trying to drive us forward and take the game by the scruff of the neck, but it didn't quite come off at certain times. I hope when he does move on in the summer, it's somewhere that lets him really develop and fulfill his potential.
Evans - 5. I think he's a good player but he was right off the pace. Some over-hit passes and poor decision-making, although I think he did a good bit of defensive stuff off the ball which isn't always noticed.
Edwards - 4. He did nothing except make a good last-ditch challenge after he'd played everyone onside from a free-kick. Other than that he had no influence.

Aluko - 3. Not got a footballing brain. He just ambles into defenders without committing them or forcing them to really react, he's got no awareness of anything around him and he has no pace. He reportedly cost a lot of money, and whatever we paid we are not getting value for him.
Barrow - 6. Good goal and took players on, but with more guile (and pace) than Aluko. Nine times out of 10 it doesn't work, but the one time it did tonight we scored. He's a frustrating and inconsistent winger, which is why he plays for us, but he has a fair chunk of our goals and assists to his name and I don't think many full backs fancy playing against him.
Martin - 5. No-one was anywhere near him for the majority, and he was asked to play a role which doesn't suit his ability, so I can't judge him too harshly. Some reasonable link-up play and he was trying to do the right things, but it was always going to be tough. I think Kelly needs to get in alongside him as much as possible.

JDB - 4. Didn't have a lot of time but won absolutely nothing in the air and never really looked like having a shot.
Swift - 4. Same as above, really. Didn't have a lot of time on the pitch and tried to make a difference, although his one effort was pretty woeful. Is a very good player when he's fit and we have the right players around him.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 07 Mar 2018 08:54

A very changed and experimental side which resembled a team at the start of a season. From the reports sounded like I did well not to see last nights game. From the people who bravely attended -
Did Evans do a better job than Joey and would Joey been more effective against the physical side of Bolton
Did Aluko always cut on his inside, or did he drift inside when not in possession?

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 07 Mar 2018 08:57

Coppells Lost Coat A very changed and experimental side which resembled a team at the start of a season. From the reports sounded like I did well not to see last nights game. From the people who bravely attended -
Did Evans do a better job than Joey and would Joey been more effective against the physical side of Bolton
Did Aluko always cut on his inside, or did he drift inside when not in possession?

Evans was pretty crap but I'd still have him in over Joey, although I imagine Joey will be back in for Saturday and will probably get sent off.

Aluko just sort of waddled with the ball and got tackled. he didn't go wide, or cut inside. Imagine Pingu trying to take on Maldini.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Mar 2018 09:02

MoorgateRoyal
Coppells Lost Coat A very changed and experimental side which resembled a team at the start of a season. From the reports sounded like I did well not to see last nights game. From the people who bravely attended -

Evans was pretty crap but I'd still have him in over Joey, although I imagine Joey will be back in for Saturday and will probably get sent off.

Aluko just sort of waddled with the ball and got tackled. he didn't go wide, or cut inside. Imagine Pingu trying to take on Maldini.

On the SSNews highlights, the first highlight where Aluko loses the ball sums up for you CLC

Fair summary Moorgate, though probably our best chance of the second half was Gunter cross which ended in Bod having a shot :). Swift had a couple of efforts as well - one of which he really should have done better with

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 07 Mar 2018 09:05

Jesus, it was so bad I forgot about JDB's shot from Gunter's cross. I'll give him that, then.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 07 Mar 2018 09:12

I have missed the last two games; but I thought last night, we had regressed even more than since when I was away. We were dreadful. I have tried to support Stam throughout this dire season; but his lack of coaching nous is now clearly evident.Why is he surviving ?
Last night he took a huge gamble in a must win game; in selecting Holmes, a 17 year old and positioning Pelle an attacking midfielder , who cant tackle a paper bag; at RB.Stam just about got away with it; although I was just waiting for the kids lack of 1st team experience to trip him up.
I really do think now that Stam has to go with 4 3 3, and just pick his best eleven, and hope that sometime somewhere they come good. Perhaps make the odd change, but not six !
The one positive last night, was that we gained a point on our rivals-but now face a tough series of games, where we will shed a lot of points.

IMHO:

Jakko 5: You really are in trouble when you ditch your 1st choice goalie. TBF last night this was an improvement on Stevenage away, and at least he was a lot more decisive than Mannone. But despite one good save; he was reluctant to catch the ball and his punches out were weak.

Pelle 4 : Why ? Stam says he can play FB. I frankly don't believe it. Often caught in possession and often they just ran past him.
Gunter 5: Indecisive last night-all he did was moan at the Ref and his midfield-shouldn't be captain.
Moore 7: Thankfully he found some form last night, and carried the defence.One bad error.Should be captain as he kept on trying to lift his teammates.
Holmes 5: Got caught out several times, but got better and stuck at it-surely Blackett in his favoured position is the better option ?

Evans 4: Playing two statues in midfield really kills us. How we need a powerful midfielder to buzz around.
Edwards 2: The other statue. He simply isn't a footballer. He does one thing well, and that is to arrive late and score goals. he had an opportunity of this type 2nd half;but just got his shape all wrong. Looks a Pub footballer.
Kelly 5: Awful back pass 1st half; but did buzz around to great effect; however he is going to have a problem in his career, as his lack of power and pace kills him.

Alukho 2: Disappeared after 20 minutes.If he can just find some form, we will have no relegation worries.

Martin 5: A huge disappointment-this guy is a class act-but he is just going through the motions.
Barrow 7: Our one attacking threat -great goal.

Swift: Not surprisingly off the pace.Should have hit the target with his chance.
Bovard : OMG;flapped around like Bambi on ice.

Ref: terrible as usual-let Bolton get away with murder-since when are you allowed to go right through a player to get the ball. Seemed more concerned about players challenging his decisions-rather than foul play.