BFTG - Aston Villa (A)

Pandoras Box

Re: BFTG - Aston Villa (A)

by Pandoras Box » 26 Aug 2018 11:33

traff The turning point is clearly me taking my seven year old to his first away game, lucky day for the penalty and he got the captains shirt.
However on another note to the scroat who was threatening me as we left.
1 No I am not gay, holding my young sons hand as we walked through the crowds is not an indicator of this and no he is not a C""T he is a well mannered 7 year old.
2 Yes I could do with losing a few pounds but middle age is a bitch. You however cannot use age as an excuse so a few more salads may help.
3. You called me a Cockney W*****..I am not a cockney.
4. Telling me that I am not welcome in Birmingham is OK by me.
5 Never been trolled by a real live one is this the reason for your angst, there will be someone out there for you somewhere?
6. Also, my wife has great gaydar and in her opinion , and I don't wish to alarm you, your star player would be a great high profile role model? Would he still be welcome in Birmingham? I hear North London residents are a little more tolerant.
7 Finally, thanks for the point we really didn't deserve it LOL

Must have been standing next to you when Moore gave him the shirt. Great gesture, specifically seeking out a young kid who would cherish that moment forever.
We had (making sure we were in earshot) ‘can’t believe we couldn’t win that from the most fvcking shit team we’ve ever seen at Villa Park’. Lol.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Aug 2018 11:37

Pandoras Box
traff The turning point is clearly me taking my seven year old to his first away game, lucky day for the penalty and he got the captains shirt.
1 No I am not gay, holding my young sons hand as we walked through the crowds is not an indicator of this and no he is not a C""T he is a well mannered 7 year old.
2 Yes I could do with losing a few pounds but middle age is a bitch. You however cannot use age as an excuse so a few more salads may help.
5 Never been trolled by a real live one is this the reason for your angst, there will be someone out there for you somewhere?
6. Also, my wife has great gaydar and in her opinion , and I don't wish to alarm you, your star player would be a great high profile role model? Would he still be welcome in Birmingham? I hear North London residents are a little more tolerant.

Must have been standing next to you when Moore gave him the shirt. Great gesture, specifically seeking out a young kid who would cherish that moment forever.
We had (making sure we were in earshot) ‘can’t believe we couldn’t win that from the most fvcking shit team we’ve ever seen at Villa Park’. Lol.

Villa fans have always been fcuking twats based on the ones I’ve come across.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Aug 2018 11:40

The 2 Villa fans I know are amongst the most decent guys on the planet.

Balance.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 26 Aug 2018 12:01

As I don't go to many away games these days, I thought I would indulge myself in a BFTG post. Maybe my expectations are lower than most but I am surprised to see so much criticism of the performance. We've won, what, 3-4 games in 2018, are clearly in a rut and are playing probably one of the most difficult games of the season. Yet, if we deserved to lose, it was very marginal, we had the best chance of the game that wasn't taken, 9 corners, lots of free kicks in and around the box and for a couple of stages looked the dominant side.

For the first time in a year or so, I don't think we are far from turning the corner and putting together a decent run of results, we just need more confidence and self belief which a comfortable win would bring.

Mannone - Have some reservations but he's adequate

Yiadom - Looks a good buy, been solid albeit he had his first bad game yesterday
Moore - One of the best centre halves in the division
Ilori - Has looked confident this season, very comfortable on the ball
Blackett - Been excellent, shown great character to come back from some apocalyptic performances last season

Barrow, Aluko, Sims are decent wide options

Centre Mid is a bit of a concern as Kelly has gone backwards but Bacuna is a decent player if he gets his head together, Swift is class, jury out on Meylor

Up front, Bodvarsson is a bit limited but gives everything, Baldock has barely played any first team football for a year and Macnulty is coming up two divisions, they both show nice touches but it may take 10-15 games to be up to speed. Both seem to have a great attitude and desire though, I'm confident they will come good in time

Finally Meite - he is a different player from last year, winning most headers, bullying experienced defenders, he is a real handful. These players go for big money if they can produce it consistently. He is like a major new signing.

All in all, I was very pleasantly surprised and hope we will be climbing the table soon as players settle in and we build a bit of confidence. The club has been on a low for 14 months, it won't change overnight but I think the signs are finally looking better

Oh and "we've got the ball/we've lost the ball" that is just dreadful

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 26 Aug 2018 12:20

Schards#2 As I don't go to many away games these days, I thought I would indulge myself in a BFTG post. Maybe my expectations are lower than most but I am surprised to see so much criticism of the performance. We've won, what, 3-4 games in 2018, are clearly in a rut and are playing probably one of the most difficult games of the season. Yet, if we deserved to lose, it was very marginal, we had the best chance of the game that wasn't taken, 9 corners, lots of free kicks in and around the box and for a couple of stages looked the dominant side.

For the first time in a year or so, I don't think we are far from turning the corner and putting together a decent run of results, we just need more confidence and self belief which a comfortable win would bring.

Yiadom - Looks a good buy, been solid albeit he had his first bad game yesterday
Blackett - Been excellent, shown great character to come back from some apocalyptic performances last season

Centre Mid is a bit of a concern as Kelly has gone backwards but Bacuna is a decent player if he gets his head together, Swift is class, jury out on Meylor

Up front, Bodvarsson is a bit limited but gives everything, Baldock has barely played any first team football for a year and Macnulty is coming up two divisions, they both show nice touches but it may take 10-15 games to be up to speed. Both seem to have a great attitude and desire though, I'm confident they will come good in time

Finally Meite - he is a different player from last year, winning most headers, bullying experienced defenders, he is a real handful. These players go for big money if they can produce it consistently. He is like a major new signing.

All in all, I was very pleasantly surprised and hope we will be climbing the table soon as players settle in and we build a bit of confidence. The club has been on a low for 14 months, it won't change overnight but I think the signs are finally looking better

Good to hear, thanks Schards.

Oh and Country Royal, I read your views too, as at least you go, but I just found your posts far too negative yesterday, especially at what counts as a euphoric moment yesterday.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 26 Aug 2018 12:24

You might be in this picture.
https://twitter.com/liammoore93/status/ ... 0964992001

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 26 Aug 2018 12:53

Didn't go, but that's my feeling on this team too
Bolton game aside (which was the worst of Stam), we're a settled centre midfield away from being half decent.
Schards#2 As I don't go to many away games these days, I thought I would indulge myself in a BFTG post. Maybe my expectations are lower than most but I am surprised to see so much criticism of the performance. We've won, what, 3-4 games in 2018, are clearly in a rut and are playing probably one of the most difficult games of the season. Yet, if we deserved to lose, it was very marginal, we had the best chance of the game that wasn't taken, 9 corners, lots of free kicks in and around the box and for a couple of stages looked the dominant side.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Aug 2018 13:01

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
A: i was being facetious I was fairly certain you didn’t go.
B: I know it’s a results business, and I more than most accept that. Under Stam in first season I was happy because we were winning even if the football was shit. I’d still say it how I saw it though. How could we have “easily scored three”? The double chance could only ever have culminated in 1 goal, but that goes without saying.
C: I’m sorry you got offended by someone “slagging off” a performance, on an Internet forum. Wow.

You’re not surprised by people “moaning”? The only thing I’m not surprised at is people who didn’t even go to the game, or didn’t even watch it, come on here and criticise someone’s view because we got a good point and maybe they saw 30 second highlights and we had a good chance. :| You couldn’t make it up.

I absolutely would have taken a point before the game and I’m delighted we got it, but that doesn’t change a lot especially given how the goal really came about. It want through any degree of mounted pressure, it never looked likely it was a shit ball and somehow Sims who was never favourite to get to the ball, did and Chester did a McShane.

Had Chester just picked up the ball in his own half and walked into his goal himself would you be just as happy?

The result was excellent, the performance in the first half was ok, the performance in the second half was a million miles below the level required to be competitive. Draw or not.

1. First half corner could easily have been bundled in.
2. But for an incredible save Baldock had a tap in.
3. The penalty we scored.

I'd assume that's what Lux was referring to for three goals.

The encouraging things about this game are that. We expected it to be tough, and it was. But we largely stood up to and kept Villa out, they only scored once. We kept playing to the final whistle and didn't give up. That persistence salvaged a result from being behind.

I don't see how the penalty can be considered flukey. Sims used his pace to get to the ball first and the defender went to ground, making contact with Sims and failing to clear the ball.

I'm not sure how anyone can say we've talked about turning points before either. We haven't had any. We finished badly against Derby. We finished badly against Forest. We just downright played badly against Bolton and finishec badly against Blackburn. This is the first chink of light and posituve to take from a league game this season. Yeah we won in the cup, I suppose we can include that as a possible turning point, but then we've only lost one game since then (two before).

I think whoever said turning points was referring to last season. As in we’ve seen enough times moments which might spur the team on, but that never materialised and it was more of the same shit that followed.

I think.

I suspect you're right. But one should always try to live in the present. Last season we had Stam, titted about at the back and now we have a number of new signings, so what went before the start of August no longer counts. :wink:

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 26 Aug 2018 14:29

J-Low just mentioned Aluko's substitution yesterday, intrigued by this (shows how boring my life is), seemed bizzare that he walked off slowly considering we were 1-0 down at the time. Apparently there was a few jeers from our fans as he went off, can anyone who went elaborate on that or have a different perspective of it?

traff

by traff » 26 Aug 2018 14:40

Pandoras Box

:D

traff

by traff » 26 Aug 2018 14:42

windermereROYAL

You might be in this picture.
https://twitter.com/liammoore93/status/ ... 0964992001

no, and steward is blocking my boy but thanks for the share

traff

by traff » 26 Aug 2018 14:43

RoyalJones J-Low just mentioned Aluko's substitution yesterday, intrigued by this (shows how boring my life is), seemed bizzare that he walked off slowly considering we were 1-0 down at the time. Apparently there was a few jeers from our fans as he went off, can anyone who went elaborate on that or have a different perspective of it?

Did not hear any jeers from us but remember checking with the guy next to me we were 1 down not up.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 26 Aug 2018 15:02

That's pretty much as I see it, too, Schards.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 Aug 2018 17:00

traff
RoyalJones J-Low just mentioned Aluko's substitution yesterday, intrigued by this (shows how boring my life is), seemed bizzare that he walked off slowly considering we were 1-0 down at the time. Apparently there was a few jeers from our fans as he went off, can anyone who went elaborate on that or have a different perspective of it?

Did not hear any jeers from us but remember checking with the guy next to me we were 1 down not up.

Personally I was screaming at him to get a move on and get off the oxf*rd pitch whilst he slowly ambled from the from the far side of the pitch.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 26 Aug 2018 17:46

Work colleague is a Villa STH and an ex-apprentice as Villa Park. He thought we were pretty solid, well organised but lacked any pace to threaten on the counter, while lacking quality in the final third and had no real threat going forward. Pretty much sums us up at the moment I reckon.

He said some of their better players had off days and thought Kodija was awful.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 26 Aug 2018 18:05

3points Work colleague is a Villa STH and an ex-apprentice as Villa Park. He thought we were pretty solid, well organised but lacked any pace to threaten on the counter, while lacking quality in the final third and had no real threat going forward. Pretty much sums us up at the moment I reckon.

If that the case I`m puzzled how the official stats had us with 10 shots with 7 on target, we must have had something up top.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 26 Aug 2018 18:12

windermereROYAL
3points Work colleague is a Villa STH and an ex-apprentice as Villa Park. He thought we were pretty solid, well organised but lacked any pace to threaten on the counter, while lacking quality in the final third and had no real threat going forward. Pretty much sums us up at the moment I reckon.

If that the case I`m puzzled how the official stats had us with 10 shots with 7 on target, we must have had something up top.

And lacking any pace whilst having Barrow and Aluko on the pitch.. :roll:

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 26 Aug 2018 18:19

Tbf, there are shots and there are “shots”. How many times do you see stats from a game and struggle to remember a decent opportunity but there’s still plenty of shots. I get the point about Barrow, but as I didn’t go to the game I can’t comment on whether he really got into his stride at all. The fact he was pulled at HT would suggest he wasn’t operating at full pelt yesterday. As for Aluko, he isn’t quick imo as he rarely runs directly at opposing defenders.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 26 Aug 2018 18:27

Great day out, my son and I found the Villa fans very unpretentious and honest. Love to see a “Big” team’s defender have that special McShane moment and give us the penalty.

Truly impressive stadium, if a bit run down, but don’t admire unprofessional team listings. Apparently we fielded Liori and Alike. Sigh.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Aug 2018 20:06

I can see an argument that we lack tempo if how we played yesterday was anything like how we've played in the past... but pace is a bit weird given Barrow, Yiadom, maybe less so Aluko, but still. And lacking anything up top is also a bit odd given Barrow forced a pretty decent save from their keeper, we nearly bundled in a corner and then their keeper had to pull off a great save to deny Baldock, with Meite's follow up well blocked. Not to mention the penalty.

We easily created enough chances to score. Maybe not as many as them and maybe I'm just used to us being so poor that four good chances seem like a good amount when Villa are used to 6/7/8 a game. From the highlights (never the full story of course, and cut to suit the editor's agenda) I thought we actually had more of the better chances.