Green park station/south Reading station

805 posts
Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Green park station/south Reading station

by Royal Ginger » 21 Jul 2016 08:34

Reporting on South Today this morning that they've grossly underestimated costs and are having to bid for millions more.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 21 Jul 2016 08:39

Royal Ginger Reporting on South Today this morning that they've grossly underestimated costs and are having to bid for millions more.

Yea I saw that too - apparently will cost 50% more than predicted.

I thought the train station platforms had been built? If so, then why will it cost so much if most of the work has been done?

If I am wrong then ignore me and pretend I didn't type that bit.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 21 Jul 2016 10:21

bobby1413
Royal Ginger Reporting on South Today this morning that they've grossly underestimated costs and are having to bid for millions more.

I thought the train station platforms had been built? If so, then why will it cost so much if most of the work has been done?

No, I think you've got it right. The bloke on the report was specifically talking about the platforms and ticket machines rather than any line work. I was wondering if I'd missed something, but you heard it too.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 25 Jul 2016 12:09

Royal Ginger
bobby1413

No, I think you've got it right. The bloke on the report was specifically talking about the platforms and ticket machines rather than any line work. I was wondering if I'd missed something, but you heard it too.
Maybe they forgot they needed a platform on either side of the tract? 2x platforms = 2x the cost, probably more with bridge connecting them.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Jul 2017 07:22

Green park finally given the go ahead, to be completed by March 2020. might lessen the blow of the car park going.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40755739?SThisFB
Five new rail stations should be completed by March 2020 after funding was confirmed, officials have said.
The Department For Transport (DFT) said it will invest more than £16m in four stations in England and one in Wales.
The stations will be at Horden in County Durham, Warrington West in Cheshire, Reading Green Park, Portway Parkway in Bristol and Bow Street in Ceredigion.
Durham County Council said the Horden stop would be a big employment boost.
Leader Simon Henig said: "The station will greatly enhance commuters' ability to reach employment sites across the region and will be served by more than 20 trains a day heading north and south.
"It will also act as a park and ride, with spaces for more than 100 commuters."
The DFT is providing £4.4m towards the £10.55m station with the rest coming from the county council and North East Combined Authority.
The £17.2m Warrington West station, which is getting £4.23 from the DFT, should reduce congestion on the M62 and support new houses in the area, the department said.
Reading Green Park will receive £2.3m towards a total project cost of £16.5m with the DFT saying it "has the potential to unlock 7,500 new jobs and 1,500 homes".
The £2.23m Portway Parkway, which is getting £1.672m from the DFT, will serve an existing park and ride site and aims to reduce congestion on inner Bristol roads.
Rail minister Paul Maynard said: "The stations will improve access to the rail network and create new leisure, training, employment and business opportunities, as well as supporting new housing developments.
"All of the stations will be completed by March 2020."

buddy1983

by buddy1983 » 29 Jul 2017 07:46

This will defiantly be my preferred choice to get to games travelling from Basingstoke.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jul 2017 08:17

buddy1983 This will defiantly be my preferred choice to get to games travelling from Basingstoke.

Then watch SW Trains, or whoever operates on that line, fail to timetable trains to stop there at all on a Saturday

(though as Reading will be in the PL by then that won't matter as the club will rarely play at home on a Saturday)

buddy1983

by buddy1983 » 29 Jul 2017 10:37

Thats a bit of a pessimistic attitude :)

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 29 Jul 2017 11:28

buddy1983 Thats a bit of a pessimistic attitude :)

I hate pessimistic people

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 06 Sep 2018 10:38

Balfour Beatty have been awarded the contract to build it, open from next summer.

https://twitter.com/TakinTheBiscuit/sta ... 9396286465

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Sep 2018 10:42

windermereROYAL Balfour Beatty have been awarded the contract to build it, open from next summer.

Having worked extensivley with Balfour Beatty in the past this will probably open in winter 2030.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 06 Sep 2018 14:22

Old Man Andrews
windermereROYAL Balfour Beatty have been awarded the contract to build it, open from next summer.

Having worked extensivley with Balfour Beatty in the past this will probably open in winter 2030.

Bad experience, Old Man Andrews?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 06 Sep 2018 14:23

buddy1983 This will defiantly be my preferred choice to get to games travelling from Basingstoke.

Yeh take that Reading Buses, you shits :!:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Sep 2018 14:25

Green
Old Man Andrews

I used to work for a property development firm many moons ago, they used Balfour Beatty a lot. They were a oxf*rd disgrace.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 06 Sep 2018 14:33

Old Man Andrews
Green
Old Man Andrews

I used to work for a property development firm many moons ago, they used Balfour Beatty a lot. They were a oxf*rd disgrace.

How so?

If I'm looking for an anecdote that doesn't exist tell me, just seems a strong reaction. I've heard nothing but good things, and a close friend of mine works for them.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Sep 2018 14:44

Green
Old Man Andrews
Green Bad experience, Old Man Andrews?

How so?

If I'm looking for an anecdote that doesn't exist tell me, just seems a strong reaction. I've heard nothing but good things, and a close friend of mine works for them.

By the way this is not just aimed at them, they are similar to a lot of other construction companies out there. I was dealing with them when it came to our clients projects being delayed so I got it in the neck from my side constantly. Constantly wouldn't show up, show up at the wrong time, leave things in a mess, wrong types of traffic management in place etc. Found the management there hard to deal with too and often wouldn't be straight. Might be an isolated incident as I worked only within a particular region but found them really hard work. This was 5 years ago though so if they've changed then good luck to them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Sep 2018 10:30

There aren't really any good construction companies are there? They all regularly run over on time and costs and cut corners so the final product isn't up to standard.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 07 Sep 2018 10:49

ITs the British way.

We fail to deliver continually across the board and people generally get bad deals.

Rail companies - prices and timings
The NHS and poor management by government.
Cut to police numbers and rising violent crime

It all comes down to a society who just moan and tut but get screwed over and trodden on like a mat.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Sep 2018 11:24

Snowflake Royal There aren't really any good construction companies are there? They all regularly run over on time and costs and cut corners so the final product isn't up to standard.

Yep it is just the way it is. The fines and penalties associated with late or shoddy work just are not high enough for them to care. The worst is the new build home, all rushed and sub-standard. I wouldn't dream of buying a new build.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 07 Sep 2018 11:26

bobby1413 ITs the British way.

We fail to deliver continually across the board and people generally get bad deals.

Rail companies - prices and timings
The NHS and poor management by government.
Cut to police numbers and rising violent crime

It all comes down to a society who just moan and tut but get screwed over and trodden on like a mat.

Said like a true politician.
I would say its down to the incompetence of companies that got big and successful in the economic boom, bringing clueless fat cats in suits to sit in meetings. Now they cant handle the penny pinching required now to compete and to be a success..... A bit like Reading tbh.

805 posts