Mannone
Blackett
O'Shea
Kelly
Clement
Loader
McNulty

This team.

So you're suggesting the new guy starts without having seen him, with him probably having had about three training sessions? Bizarre.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Team for Preston (A)

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2018 17:11

John Smith
CavershamRoyal
NewCorkSeth -------------------Walker----------------
Yiadom---Moore---Ilori---Gunter
--------Ezatolahi------Bacuna--------
Sims--------------Swift----------Barrow
---------------------Bod------------------
Subs:
Mannone
Blackett
O'Shea
Kelly
Clement
Loader
McNulty

This team.

So you're suggesting the new guy starts without having seen him, with him probably having had about three training sessions? Bizarre.

Pick the guy who hasn't failed yet, or the guys who've already failed repeatedly. At least he'll probably be enthusiastic and eager to impress. I'd take any midfielder over the age of 15 ahead of Meyler right now.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 05 Sep 2018 17:27

As mentioned on here already Sims must play and also Aluko needs dropping after his performance last game. I don't care whether you are the club's record signing or not if you are bottling tackles and walking back when your team is under the cosh then I probably speak for everyone when I say you're no good to us.

Finally Blackett back to add some balance to our team in the full back positions, if Clement wants to accommodate Gunter then I'm happy for this to happen providing Yiadom is pushed into a central defensive role. I think he could be great for us there, he chases everything down and works his socks off for the cause. I have also gone for Bacuna alongside him to give us the athleticism in there. Lets keep things tight start with the one up top and build from there.

GK - Mannone
RB - Gunter
LB - Blackett
CB - Moore (C)
CB - Ilori
CDM - Yiadom
CDM - Bacuna
RM - Sims
LM - Barrow
CAM - Swift
ST - Bod

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Sep 2018 17:53

bracksroyal10 As mentioned on here already Sims must play and also Aluko needs dropping after his performance last game. I don't care whether you are the club's record signing or not if you are bottling tackles and walking back when your team is under the cosh then I probably speak for everyone when I say you're no good to us.

Finally Blackett back to add some balance to our team in the full back positions, if Clement wants to accommodate Gunter then I'm happy for this to happen providing Yiadom is pushed into a central defensive role. I think he could be great for us there, he chases everything down and works his socks off for the cause. I have also gone for Bacuna alongside him to give us the athleticism in there. Lets keep things tight start with the one up top and build from there.

GK - Mannone
RB - Gunter
LB - Blackett
CB - Moore (C)
CB - Ilori
CDM - Yiadom
CDM - Bacuna
RM - Sims
LM - Barrow
CAM - Swift
ST - Bod

In what way does Blackett "add balance to our team in the full back positions"?

The fullbacks weren't the problem last game - quite the contrary. Could see Yiadom being rightly miffed if we're saying - yeah, you were one the best players last game, so as a reward we'll play you out of position next game.

I can see the logic of looking for anybody to play in CDM. But we shouldn't weaken one position to strengthen another.

Tbh CDM is more like central defence than it is like full-back. Try Ilori there, and put Blackett (or McShane) in as a central defender? That makes more sense to me.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Sep 2018 18:32

John Smith
CavershamRoyal
NewCorkSeth -------------------Walker----------------
Yiadom---Moore---Ilori---Gunter
--------Ezatolahi------Bacuna--------
Sims--------------Swift----------Barrow
---------------------Bod------------------
Subs:
Mannone
Blackett
O'Shea
Kelly
Clement
Loader
McNulty

This team.

I'll be honest it was posted in a rage against our current CMs performing so terribly. Obviously a guy who just joined and is on international duty right now is not the best idea to start. Unless he's incredible in training.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Sep 2018 20:58

Loader continuing his fine start to the season for the England U19s

Wonder if he is under any consideration for our first 11. Would like to see him start being involved

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Sep 2018 21:58

Hound Loader continuing his fine start to the season for the England U19s

Wonder if he is under any consideration for our first 11. Would like to see him start being involved

I think it’s getting closer. Maybe include him in the FA Cup in January and see how he goes.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 05 Sep 2018 23:23

muirinho
bracksroyal10 As mentioned on here already Sims must play and also Aluko needs dropping after his performance last game. I don't care whether you are the club's record signing or not if you are bottling tackles and walking back when your team is under the cosh then I probably speak for everyone when I say you're no good to us.

GK - Mannone
RB - Gunter
LB - Blackett
CB - Moore (C)
CB - Ilori
CDM - Yiadom
CDM - Bacuna
RM - Sims
LM - Barrow
CAM - Swift
ST - Bod

The fullbacks weren't the problem last game - quite the contrary. Could see Yiadom being rightly miffed if we're saying - yeah, you were one the best players last game, so as a reward we'll play you out of position next game.

I can see the logic of looking for anybody to play in CDM. But we shouldn't weaken one position to strengthen another.

Tbh CDM is more like central defence than it is like full-back. Try Ilori there, and put Blackett (or McShane) in as a central defender? That makes more sense to me.

Left footed, when he gets it right he does put some great deliveries into the box. I’d rather see a left footed left back but that’s just my opinion.

With Yiadom I think if you’re looking for someone to get stuck in and do a job on someone he has all the attributes to perform in a CDM role. Certainly at the moment unless performances improve it’s worth a try

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Sep 2018 00:41

bracksroyal10
muirinho

GK - Mannone
RB - Gunter
LB - Blackett
CB - Moore (C)
CB - Ilori
CDM - Yiadom
CDM - Bacuna
RM - Sims
LM - Barrow
CAM - Swift
ST - Bod

Left footed, when he gets it right he does put some great deliveries into the box. I’d rather see a left footed left back but that’s just my opinion.

With Yiadom I think if you’re looking for someone to get stuck in and do a job on someone he has all the attributes to perform in a CDM role. Certainly at the moment unless performances improve it’s worth a try

It depends on the type of CDM. Yes you could put another CB there who sits in front of the defence as extra cover (which in fairness we could do worse things than try once - just for shits we lose anyway). Obviously you’re then compromising ball playing ability but if your role is just to tackle break up play and then play a simple 5-10 yard pass then ok.

You could have your Pirlo type CDMs (poor version: Norwood, Guthrie etc), doesn’t offer a lot of defensive contribution or protection but can pick the ball up and aim to start attacks from deep.

You’re box to box midfielders you just play slightly deeper. Or in Reading’s case your shit centre mids who aren’t good at anything and hope to god you can find a way of playing to their strengths (which you can’t if they don’t have any).

The case for Yiadom at CDM is a decent one tbh. A good all round fullback should be good at going forward and defending with an emphasis on the latter - though it will change from team to team but traditionally. Yiadom has shown he’s pretty good at both and is neat and tidy in the ball in small spaces so on paper he should have the ability. Not necessarily knowing the position could be a problem, positionally/discipline.

BUT, I’ve spent over half a decade watching the decline of Reading with the almost one ever present constant weakness being our Mr. Reliable, Chris “Can’t stop a cross” “Great Athlete” Gunter. The only good thing to come out of this season is, in Andy Yiadom, finally a genuine replacement and significant upgrade, which should have signalled the end of Pcunter’s time at right back and hopefully the club. I’ll be fcuking damned if I’d willingly move our best player in place of a shittier undeserving one.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Sep 2018 00:49

muirinho

GK - Mannone
RB - Gunter
LB - Blackett
CB - Moore (C)
CB - Ilori
CDM - Yiadom
CDM - Bacuna
RM - Sims
LM - Barrow
CAM - Swift
ST - Bod

Errr... isn't that exactly what we did against Weds?

Personally, has to be Yiadom on the right and preferably Blackett on the left for me. If Gunter has to play, he should be played on the left where he was consistently ok last season, as opposed to consistently weak at right back for ever.

The main issue I have with trying full backs or centre backs in defensive midfield roles, is that midfield is a totally different role. Rather than everything being in front of you as a centre back, or everything in front of you and to one side, for the most part, as a full back... the play is literally all around you in midfield. I think it places far greater burdens on decision making, awareness and first touch.

I thought we'd spent the last five years learning the lesson that playing people out of position is not a good idea. It rarely works. Left side to right side, maybe. Full back to winger and vice versa, maybe. Midfielder to elsewhere - easier. Defender to midfielder? No thanks.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Sep 2018 07:15

Zip

I think it’s getting closer. Maybe include him in the FA Cup in January and see how he goes.

Problem is he is on form now
. He isn’t that young now.

Think it says everything about the club currently that there is a bunch of about 10 mediocre experienced pros between him and the first team squad. Him and Rinomhota should be on the bench at the least

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 06 Sep 2018 10:15

Hound
Zip

Problem is he is on form now
. He isn’t that young now.

Think it says everything about the club currently that there is a bunch of about 10 mediocre experienced pros between him and the first team squad. Him and Rinomhota should be on the bench at the least

It's so evident that there's something going on higher up that Clement is forced to play these players.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Sep 2018 10:22

Snowflake Royal Errr... isn't that exactly what we did against Weds?

Personally, has to be Yiadom on the right and preferably Blackett on the left for me. If Gunter has to play, he should be played on the left where he was consistently ok last season, as opposed to consistently weak at right back for ever.

The main issue I have with trying full backs or centre backs in defensive midfield roles, is that midfield is a totally different role. Rather than everything being in front of you as a centre back, or everything in front of you and to one side, for the most part, as a full back... the play is literally all around you in midfield. I think it places far greater burdens on decision making, awareness and first touch.

I thought we'd spent the last five years learning the lesson that playing people out of position is not a good idea. It rarely works. Left side to right side, maybe. Full back to winger and vice versa, maybe. Midfielder to elsewhere - easier. Defender to midfielder? No thanks.

Yep agree with all this generally, apart from the point about learning lessons. I think if there is one thing we’ve aptly demonstrates over the past 5 years is that we seem incapable of learning from lessons! :P

You know what they say. Those who fail to learn from history are destined to repeat it.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 06 Sep 2018 12:32

Snowflake Royal
muirinho

Errr... isn't that exactly what we did against Weds?

Nope, because Yiadom, like Gunter, is a fullback who plays either side, but has a preferred side. He's not a midfielder.
Yeah, I would have left him at RB, and put Gunter in at LB - but there's a big difference between asking him to swap sides, and asking to play an entirely different role.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 06 Sep 2018 13:47

bracksroyal10 GK - Mannone
RB - Gunter
LB - Blackett
CB - Moore (C)
CB - Ilori
CDM - Yiadom
CDM - Bacuna
RM - Sims
LM - Barrow
CAM - Swift
ST - Bod

Hmmm not bad...Id probably agree with that....I know Im not popular ~(as if I ever am) but Id really like Joey Van den Berg back to play instead of Yiadom. I liked Joey sitting in the defensive cover role.....though no one else does I suspect, and I know he put himself about a bit and picked up cards, but on his day he did a decent job......Now Im going into hiding.....

scumbag

by scumbag » 06 Sep 2018 13:51

Just drop Aluko, god knows how much he's made in 'appearance fees' despite never turning up. Turgid footballer.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 06 Sep 2018 14:38

John Smith It's so evident that there's something going on higher up that Clement is forced to play these players.

We're bottom of the league, and yet he's being forced to play players? Doubt this is true. (If it is, he should quit.) But for sake of discussion...Is this a new club directive aimed at this particular manager? They sat him down at the interview, and said 'Well, you can have the job, but sorry, we'll be picking the teams'?Or he never knew about it when he signed on here, and was sold down the river by his buddy, Gourlay?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 06 Sep 2018 14:53, edited 2 times in total.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 06 Sep 2018 14:44

Ascotexgunner Hmmm not bad...Id probably agree with that....I know Im not popular ~(as if I ever am) but Id really like Joey Van den Berg back to play instead of Yiadom. I liked Joey sitting in the defensive cover role.....though no one else does I suspect, and I know he put himself about a bit and picked up cards, but on his day he did a decent job......Now Im going into hiding.....

Please do. You imbecile.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 06 Sep 2018 14:51

Denver Royal
John Smith It's so evident that there's something going on higher up that Clement is forced to play these players.

We're bottom of the league, and yet he's being forced to play players? Doubt this is true. (If it is, he should quit.) But for sake of discussion...Is this a new club directive aimed at this particular manager? He never knew about it when he signed on here, and was sold down the river by his buddy, Gourlay?

Rather than ask that, ask yourself why Aluko (for example) is playing. Do you think Clement can see something else? A coach with experience at one of the biggest clubs in the world? This wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened at Reading, let alone football in general. We had to play Vydra even though he was the worst player ever to wear the hoops purely because of the fee spent on the ridiculous loan deal. The same situation is happening here now. There's no 'selling down the river' situation here either - Clement was out of work and a Championship club came knocking. Look how hard it is for even the most experienced managers to get back into work - he had to take the Reading job. He probably realised he's bitten off more than he (or anyone really) can chew once the transfer window shut and we were still unable to get rid of the dross we have now and have since recruited more dross in a failure from Brighton, an Iranian and a Southampton reserve.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 06 Sep 2018 14:57

Denver Royal

We're bottom of the league, and yet he's being forced to play players? Doubt this is true. (If it is, he should quit.) But for sake of discussion...Is this a new club directive aimed at this particular manager? They sat him down at the interview, and said 'Well, you can have the job, but sorry, we'll be picking the teams'?Or he never knew about it when he signed on here, and was sold down the river by his buddy, Gourlay?

And yet he calls me an imbecile?
Mind you Denver he did say we were "safe" 5 games from the end of last season and said we wouldn't be in any danger of relegation.