167 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h) sponsored by Michael Meaker

by Sutekh » 30 Sep 2018 09:38

When : Tuesday, 2nd October, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Now for a big question. Can Reading keep their good run (by their standards) going and win successive league home games for the first time this season, a feat only managed twice in the whole of last season?

There’s a chance, as the struggling fakes roll into town on the back of 3 straight defeats (including a 2-0 reverse in the League Cup at Blackpool last week) and a win for the once mighty Reading will put them ahead of QPR in the league table.

Our opponents league form is a bit up and down opening as they did with 4 defeats including a 7-1 reverse at Reading’s next opponents - WBA. They then signed former Reading targets Tomer Hemed and Nakhi Wells on loan and promptly won 4 games and drew 1 of their next 5 fixtures, but hopefully the effect of those signings has now worn off.

QPR will welcome back Jordan Cousins after suspension but will be with out Darnell Furlong and Olamide Shodipo and have a doubt over Toni Leistner.

Reading will have Harriott, McCleary and McShane available for bench duty if desired but will have doubts over Barrow and Baldock.

As with most of the recent home games against this lot a dull, uninteresting and largely unentertaining game is expected so that should be right up Reading’s street then. The key, of course, is how the game is started. Need to get at them and make them uncomfortable from the start and not the usual slow sit back and wait for something to turn up (usually a goal for the opponents) before attempting to play a bit.

But the unbig question remains, why, given the long playing history and kit similarity arguments, this game is not seen as a proper derby?

Referee

Andy Davies is back for this one and he only does Reading if they’re at home. Seems a bit well balanced so far with 3 wins and 3 defeats and 7 goals for and 7 goals against.

Previously

28 Feb 18 > Reading 1-3 Sheffield United
19 Sep 17 > Reading 0-2 Swansea City (LC)
07 Mar 17 > Reading 0-0 Newcastle United
26 Dec 16 > Reading 3-1 Norwich City
29 Oct 16 > Reading 2-0 Nottingham Forest
06 Aug 16 > Reading 1-0 Preston North End
15 Sep 15 > Reading 0-1 Derby County

Historically

Overall Reading have an edge on league fixtures in the "binary" derby by 37 wins to 29. There have been 22 stalemates.

Thus this game is the 45th league visit from that lot at the (other) end of the M4 and Reading have recorded 26 victories to 9 from the Rangers but have only won one of the previous 6 home fixtures - but at least it was last time out.

Why binary derby? Well the last 7 home games have been truly IT techie like and dull in the extreme with about as many shots as there have been goals resulting in scores of 0-0, 1-0, 0-1, 0-0, 1-1, 0-1, 0-1 and 1-0

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. SKY red button service
  6. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h) sponsored by Michael Meaker

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2018 10:08

Thanks.

I've really got to start looking ahead at the fixtures to book time off to make the midweek games.

Here's to Aluko never featuring in the squad again with the (fingers crosed) iminent return of McCleary and Harriott and Baldock hopefully not strapped to the treatment table long.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Sep 2018 11:02

Will O’Shea come back in leaving Ilori to switch to right back? If fit Swift and Barrow should start. I would like to see Sims in for Meite. I presume Baldock will still be out

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 30 Sep 2018 12:18

thanks

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2018 12:32

Be interesting to see if O Shea comes back in. Wouldn’t be against it

Happy with any combo of Bod + Baldock, Sims, Meite or Barrow up front depending on who is fit. Aluko must absolutely not be anywhere near the starting line up

Iranian, Swift and Bacuna in the centre mid

Big game this one. A win and we can genuinely start looking upwards. Another demoralising defeat and all doom and gloom again. Draw and big pressure to pick something up in the following game

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 30 Sep 2018 12:40

Loads of QPR fans at work so hopefully we can do them over.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Sep 2018 15:39

Hoping for a:
---------------Walker
Yiadom--Ilori---Moore--Gunter
-------------Ezatolahi
--------Bacuna---Swift
Meite-------------------------Barrow
------------Bodvarson

Mannone
O'Shea
Kelly
McCleary
McNulty
Loader
Rinomhota

I think I read Richards is injured? Bacuna can drop to RB if injury to either flank and O'Shea covers the rest.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2018 15:59

Sims for Meite with Meite on the bench for Loader maybe

Would actually rather Blackett than O Shea I think in there. Tough decisions to make

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Sep 2018 16:01

Hound Sims for Meite with Meite on the bench for Loader maybe

Would actually rather Blackett than O Shea I think in there. Tough decisions to make

Forgot about Sims :shock:

Yes put Sims in there. My bad.

I thought Blackett was injured?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Sep 2018 17:55

Hound Be interesting to see if O Shea comes back in. Wouldn’t be against it

Happy with any combo of Bod + Baldock, Sims, Meite or Barrow up front depending on who is fit. Aluko must absolutely not be anywhere near the starting line up

Big game this one. A win and we can genuinely start looking upwards. Another demoralising defeat and all doom and gloom again. Draw and big pressure to pick something up in the following game

I'm happy with Swift or Kelly with Bacuna and Ezatohali. Hopefully McCleary could be a contender again for the right. I actually wonder whether Barrow has really offered enough this season, injury and fitness has seen him far from his best so far and unless he's at his devastating best I don't think we're in a position to carry him yet.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Sep 2018 18:12

Snowflake Royal

I'm happy with Swift or Kelly with Bacuna and Ezatohali. Hopefully McCleary could be a contender again for the right. I actually wonder whether Barrow has really offered enough this season, injury and fitness has seen him far from his best so far and unless he's at his devastating best I don't think we're in a position to carry him yet.

I agree he's not been at his best but he's still been and is our best winger. He's only played 400 minutes of football but has still outshone Aluko (not hard) and Meite. Sims has been impressive since coming in but is a complete unknown quality really whereas we know what Barrow is capable of so for that reason he is worth persisting with.
You mentioned previously his defensive frailties. Against Brentford he managed 3 successful tackles. That was more than Gunter and Meite combined. In fact it was more than everyone except Swift, Ezatolahi and Yiadom.
As I have mentioned previously as well his presence in the team forces the opposition to play a certain way. They know how fast he is and how successful a dribbled he is so have to adjust their defenders to cope with that.
Over the last 2 games goals have been scored because of the work he does on the ball. He might not get an assist credit but his hard work in the build up is something our other wingers haven't really done.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Sep 2018 18:15

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

I agree he's not been at his best but he's still been and is our best winger. He's only played 400 minutes of football but has still outshone Aluko (not hard) and Meite. Sims has been impressive since coming in but is a complete unknown quality really whereas we know what Barrow is capable of so for that reason he is worth persisting with.
You mentioned previously his defensive frailties. Against Brentford he managed 3 successful tackles. That was more than Gunter and Meite combined. In fact it was more than everyone except Swift, Ezatolahi and Yiadom.
As I have mentioned previously as well his presence in the team forces the opposition to play a certain way. They know how fast he is and how successful a dribbled he is so have to adjust their defenders to cope with that.
Over the last 2 games goals have been scored because of the work he does on the ball. He might not get an assist credit but his hard work in the build up is something our other wingers haven't really done.

Barrow is our best winger. He is the only one with the pace to get to the by line. Without him we would have gone down last season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2018 18:45

A fully fit barrow is in the starting 11 for me

If not though, happy to see Sims and Baldock there as per Hull. Meite and McCleary if back to a decent standard around on the bench to offer something different (ie physical presence and aerial ability or more defensive discipline and crossing ability)

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Sep 2018 18:56

Hound A fully fit barrow is in the starting 11 for me

If not though, happy to see Sims and Baldock there as per Hull. Meite and McCleary if back to a decent standard around on the bench to offer something different (ie physical presence and aerial ability or more defensive discipline and crossing ability)

Just to remind you we scored 2 goals after Baldock was taken off both coming in from the left side with the first coming directly from Barrow running into the box and laying off a good pass. Baldock did well that game despite being out of position but let's not persist with square pegs in round holes when our round peg is capable of changing games even when not fully fit.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2018 20:17

Yep fair comment

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Sep 2018 22:58

Hoping for

-----------------Walker
Yiadom--Moore--Ilori--Blackett
----------------Ezatolahi
-----------Bacuna-------Swift
Sims---------------------------Baldock
-----------------Bodvarsson

Bench
Mannone
O'Shea
Meite
Kelly
Clement
Barrow
Mcnulty

Wouldn't be upset to see O'Shea in for Blackett but something along those lines, do feel Pelle has something to offer, not sure why he's been overlooked so much, is probably now 8th choice when fit however. I also think Mcnulty should be given more of a chance, although obviously not in favour of Bod who's had a fantastic start. Feel it's the end for Aluko, started this season well but he just doesn't suit the team and the less said about his freekick yesterday the better. Not sure where the likes of Meyler, Mccleary, Harriott and Edwards will fit in when they all return, the squad is certainly bloated

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Oct 2018 07:15

I think Harriott and McCleary will be part of the group. They’ve been given a fair few games now in the U23

PC should be straight with the others and tell them they are off in Jan. Meyler maybe to stay as cover for Ezatolahi

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Oct 2018 08:10

Bring O'Shea in for Gunter and Sims in for Meite, the rest can stay in for me. I think Swift will miss out through injury/being rested. He has had quite a long run of games for him and looked shattered on Saturday, came off with an ice pack on his calf too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Oct 2018 08:56

Old Man Andrews Bring O'Shea in for Gunter and Sims in for Meite, the rest can stay in for me. I think Swift will miss out through injury/being rested. He has had quite a long run of games for him and looked shattered on Saturday, came off with an ice pack on his calf too.

yeah obvs need to be a little careful with Swift after last year. He did only play 20 mins vs Hull though

Would be happy enough to see him on the bench and Kelly come in if any doubt though

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Oct 2018 10:59

Zip

Barrow is our best winger. He is the only one with the pace to get to the by line. Without him we would have gone down last season.

Sims is as fast if not faster

167 posts