BFTG - Stokies

154 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Stokies

by Lower West » 01 Dec 2018 22:29

tidus_mi2 The first thing that stood out to me was in the first half how exposed Gunter was, he was constantly left 2vs1 as the supporting winger had cut inside and hadn't bothered to get back out to do defensive duties.

Swift played far more on the left in the second. Which reduced his effectiveness. Bringing on Barrow was effective in keeping the full back occupied.

biff

by biff » 01 Dec 2018 22:49

AthleticoSpizz The usual scapegoating ^ :roll:

Decent enough game from him today...but if you are ‘that way inclined’ probably not.

Watch the highlight and tell me again I'm scapegoating. Allowed Ince 8 yards to volley at his leisure,

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Dec 2018 22:49

End of the day, whether you're Clement in or Clement out, you have to admit this team has more character and determination than under Jaap last season. The late goal today, the late goal vs Ipswich, the penalty miss vs Leeds, the grit against Bristol shows the team is starting to show some backbone. Don't know stats or anything but how many late goals did we score last year

Are we there yet? No. But are we improving? Yes. Clement has done everything people have asked for. He's dropped Gunter, he's dropped Swift, he's dropped Aluko, he sold Van Den Berg, he injected experience into the squad which people asked for

So let's give him a chance, we could sack him and revert back to type one or we could stick with him and see where we end up. He's built a very adequate squad, just missing one midfielder and one defender, and we've now lost one game in five. After all, how many of our manager swaps have actually worked? Mcdermott to Stam for the first season and no-one else for the last 6 years. So let's back him and see what happens

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Dec 2018 22:53

biff

Decent enough game from him today...but if you are ‘that way inclined’ probably not.

Watch the highlight and tell me again I'm scapegoating. Allowed Ince 8 yards to volley at his leisure,
it’s a ninety minute game...as if it needed saying

biff

by biff » 01 Dec 2018 23:13

It's the reason we conceded the second goal, he had no idea where his man was. You're trying too hard.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Dec 2018 23:25

Whatevs

Try looking outside of the sheep pen occasionally biff

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Dec 2018 23:31

biff It's the reason we conceded the second goal, he had no idea where his man was. You're trying too hard.

Perhaps if Ilori and Yiadom hadn’t made a complete mess of the headed clearance in the first place we may not have been left so stretched

biff

by biff » 01 Dec 2018 23:36

Perhaps yes, or the pass before, or the wind direction, or what the winger had for tea. But my point still stands, he had a fair game but let the ball drop to Ince in acres of his own box. Not a perennial hater, just a qualified coach.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Dec 2018 23:42

Crikey, with you and Ian in charge, we would cream this league.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Dec 2018 00:04

biff Perhaps yes, or the pass before, or the wind direction, or what the winger had for tea. But my point still stands, he had a fair game but let the ball drop to Ince in acres of his own box. Not a perennial hater, just a qualified coach.

Perhaps it’s highly relevant that two of our defenders gifted position to the opposition in a dangerous position in the build up to their goal.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 02 Dec 2018 00:39

Can you defend Clement after that? The change (starting line up) he needed was made way too late. First half we were lucky to be 1-0. McNulty upfront on his own was a travesty. Half asleep 45-55. Lucky to be 2-2. When will the madness end?

Please nobody @ me with we were good for the first xxx minutes. You don't stay up on that.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Dec 2018 01:15

Genuinely amazed we got anything from that game with that defence, so quite happy with that result.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Dec 2018 01:32

Expectations amongst our supporters seem really low these days. Opposition supporters by and large seem to think we are dreadful. At what point does Clement take responsibility for our current predicament? We cannot keep harking back to the Stam era.
He has been unlucky with injuries but to an extent that’s the nature of the Championship these days. He has a huge squad to select from

We have improved offensively under Clement but are worse defensively. So overall I don’t think we are progressing and just 18 points from 20 games is woeful. If he stays on for the January transfer window then I see no point in sacking him at any stage later in the season as the new manager would have to work with the same personnel.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Dec 2018 01:33

Maneki Neko Genuinely amazed we got anything from that game with that defence, so quite happy with that result.

Well quite.

But I’d point the finger at midfield again.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Dec 2018 08:04

leon
Maneki Neko Genuinely amazed we got anything from that game with that defence, so quite happy with that result.

Well quite.

But I’d point the finger at midfield again.

I hope it's the middle finger.....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Dec 2018 08:36

Zip Got to say Ian that’s an excellent in-depth analysis. Have you been on the sauce?

Just making an effort Zip.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Dec 2018 08:48

biff It's the reason we conceded the second goal, he had no idea where his man was. You're trying too hard.

Defenders try to play in straight lines. When an attacker stands off it's a midfielder's job to come in and pick up. Gunter was slow back out to him, but the real issue was Ilori and Yiadom going for the same ball, whether Afobe kept it in and once again no one backing Gunter up. Plus it was just a really good strike. That's so awkward to hit it's almost never going in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Dec 2018 08:57

Zip Expectations amongst our supporters seem really low these days. Opposition supporters by and large seem to think we are dreadful. At what point does Clement take responsibility for our current predicament? We cannot keep harking back to the Stam era.
He has been unlucky with injuries but to an extent that’s the nature of the Championship these days. He has a huge squad to select from

We have improved offensively under Clement but are worse defensively. So overall I don’t think we are progressing and just 18 points from 20 games is woeful. If he stays on for the January transfer window then I see no point in sacking him at any stage later in the season as the new manager would have to work with the same personnel.

It's a big squad because it's full of shit. We weren't shit first half, just defensively vulnerable with our total patchwork side and dreadful defensive support on the left.

Funnily enough, Stoke are really good at come backs and with one punished lapse we fell apart second half. But we showed character and saved it.

I'm not interested in judging the manager on that game. We weren't expected to win by our own fans, we had half our first xi out or out of position.

Stam's era is relevant. If Clement had taken over a different situation the expectation should be different. Simple fact is we're one transfer window post Stam. Managers can't do a lot mid season to fix problems and we were in such a state one window would never do it. Three more likely.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Dec 2018 09:54

Exactly this. I wonder what level coaching expertise and/or experience of being coached properly many of them have. Far too often Gunter is doing his job properly but is let down by others failing to do theirs e.g. Swift and McCleary yesterday. Clement alluded to this after the game but waited until half-time to address it. Are he and his coaches incapable of communicating instructions during breaks in play?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Dec 2018 09:58

tee peg
Zip
tee peg
How far is your tongue in your cheek........... :?

Shrugs shoulders. What serious mistakes did he make?

Turning up?

And that comment says everything about the idiotic Gunter critics.

Sod all to support their criticism and even if they were to give examples it would probably be pretty easy to show them to be incorrect.

154 posts