Are we really going down this season

247 posts
Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

Re: Are we really going down this season

by Kitsondinho » 02 Jan 2019 01:22

yuomi This is no longer a football club, it hasn't been for a while. Instead, we are a fully fledged business. Since the Thais, and probably before, RFC has been a vehicle for making money with the notion of being a football club completely secondary and of little interest to those at the top of the pyramid.

Joorabchain was well in with Pairoj and his crew so I haven't the slightest doubt he's been on the scene for longer than anyone outside the club realises and his systemic corruption is well underway. For the foreseeable it will be a case of interminable dirge on the pitch while the money moves at an executive level. The tinfoil hat wearer in me feels there's probably skullduggery afoot, but I genuinely cba to even theorise what they might be up to.

I'd be angry that it's come to this, but it's scarcely worth it as there's nothing that I or any other fan can do to change it.

Oh and yes, we're definitely going down.

The transfer window is going to make it worse I fear. Agreed on the relegation too. The whole situation is awful.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Jan 2019 01:24

I’ve been consigned to relegation from close to the start of the season so just waiting for it to hurry up now.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Jan 2019 08:24

Ascotexgunner
Hound Agree with the above but who has now convinced them on Gomes?

It may work out but it’s a huge huge gamble and not one that should have been taken at this point in time

If he does turn it round (looking like a big if after today but let's judge at the end of Jan as the transfer window can sometimes change things) I would be the first to hold my hands up and say I was wrong about him.
But I'm still puzzeled as to how a manager noone has heard of, with no experience in this country, and no consistency of managing any club has got the job!!!!!! Who will have plucked his name out of the air to actually get him involved with the club?

According to Radio Berks, it was Pat Dolan who put Gomes forward.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 02 Jan 2019 08:48

yuomi This is no longer a football club, it hasn't been for a while. Instead, we are a fully fledged business. Since the Thais, and probably before, RFC has been a vehicle for making money with the notion of being a football club completely secondary and of little interest to those at the top of the pyramid.

Joorabchain was well in with Pairoj and his crew so I haven't the slightest doubt he's been on the scene for longer than anyone outside the club realises and his systemic corruption is well underway. For the foreseeable it will be a case of interminable dirge on the pitch while the money moves at an executive level. The tinfoil hat wearer in me feels there's probably skullduggery afoot, but I genuinely cba to even theorise what they might be up to.

I'd be angry that it's come to this, but it's scarcely worth it as there's nothing that I or any other fan can do to change it.

Oh and yes, we're definitely going down.

I agree with your general complaint about RFC losing it's way and owners messing us about. But no one is making money out of a Championship club . . . . no one. Look the accounts, it's not possible.

The Russians and Thais left after realising what a financial drain the club is. The Chinese are rich enough already not to care.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2019 09:05

Agreed, if they are running it as a business, they are doing a pretty shit job. Must have lost a fortune so far

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jan 2019 10:06

CountryRoyal I’ve been consigned to relegation from close to the start of the season so just waiting for it to hurry up now.

Heh, same. As soon as Swansea's penalty was given I turned to my step-dad and said "I want this season to end now". Then I fcuked off and bought a coffee, didn't even watch the penalty.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Jan 2019 10:13

genuinely starting to believe mad conspiracy theories about the owners deliberately crashing the club into administration and bankruptcy so they can sell the land/ground.

we are oxf*rd.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jan 2019 10:15

Maneki Neko genuinely starting to believe mad conspiracy theories about the owners deliberately crashing the club into administration and bankruptcy so they can sell the land/ground.

we are oxf*rd.

Even if that was true, we're far too middle class a fanbase to kick up a fuss about it. We'd probably just shrug our shoulders, tut a bit, and then move on.

Thought the atmosphere was pitiful yesterday - a reflection of the shit on the pitch of course, but we really are a terrible fanbase sometimes

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 02 Jan 2019 10:24

to answer the question we are 100% categorically going down. We are in a perfect storm that shows no sign of relenting yet. at some stage we will hit bottom and start to rise again - I just hope that is before we are in League 2.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 02 Jan 2019 10:32

If we defend like we did yesterday in all our remaining games I doubt we'll get another point. However I don't think that will be the case and we're not definitely down yet, no matter how bad it looks.

Chins up everyone

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2019 10:33

I think realistically we have to start planning for life in Div1, its a probability now rather than a possibility

Have to start with shedding as much of the squad as possible. Identify the U23s we want to go forward with - ie can we bring through East, House or Lawless into the first team squad? Can Novakovich come back and would he play for us in Div1? Bring the costs right down. Decide if Gomes and his team will be the group we want to go with if we end up in Div1.

I'd be happy enough to stick with him if he isn't a complete disaster in the next few months. The constant chopping and changing of managers and styles has brought us to this point.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Jan 2019 12:18

genome
CountryRoyal I’ve been consigned to relegation from close to the start of the season so just waiting for it to hurry up now.

Heh, same. As soon as Swansea's penalty was given I turned to my step-dad and said "I want this season to end now". Then I fcuked off and bought a coffee, didn't even watch the penalty.

I know I know I know that relegation is absolutely not something to take lightly and should be avoided at all costs, but there is still that little part of me that thinks it’s a good opportunity to rebuild and it might be nice to win a game or two. I think that’s only natural? That being said, with the size (and more importantly, state) of our club, I think we’re just as likely to go down to League 2, then we are to bounce back.

When you look at Ipswich who have had almost 20 seasons of by and large mediocre dross playing by and large the same shit week in week out, only to more than likely get relegated you’d have to say do you want that to be us?!

What you said about the support is sad and spot on too. I know completely different but look at Leeds again against Forest. They don’t go because of the football, they go for a party and a piss up, to just have a good time - the football is a bonus.

We just don’t have the numbers or the demographic. Unless we do a Chelsea or Man City, that realistically is never going to change. Sad, but true.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 02 Jan 2019 12:37

I would currently rate our chances of relegation at about 70%. This season has been an utter disaster and I don't think it'll turn around until we can clear most of these dross players out of the squad.

League 1 is piss poor though. I'd definitely fancy us to get top 6 in that division as a minimum. Sunderland who are no better last season than we currently are and who haven't made big changes are nicely poised in 3rd place. Barnsley are top 6 as well. Wigan, Blackburn and Rotherham also bounced straight back after keeping their better players and adding shrewd signings.

The gap has grown lately. I have watched a lot of games in leagues 1 and 2 during international breaks in the last 3 seasons and the gulf in class is huge, probably as big as going from mid table in the championship to a top 6 premier league side.

Of course no guarantees we will bounce back but if we keep our finances in gear and have a plan then it should be within reach.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 Jan 2019 12:48

Pepe the Horseman
Ascotexgunner
Hound Agree with the above but who has now convinced them on Gomes?

It may work out but it’s a huge huge gamble and not one that should have been taken at this point in time

If he does turn it round (looking like a big if after today but let's judge at the end of Jan as the transfer window can sometimes change things) I would be the first to hold my hands up and say I was wrong about him.
But I'm still puzzeled as to how a manager noone has heard of, with no experience in this country, and no consistency of managing any club has got the job!!!!!! Who will have plucked his name out of the air to actually get him involved with the club?

According to Radio Berks, it was Pat Dolan who put Gomes forward.

Seriously, if I owned a football club I would like to think I have a bit of knowledge of the game and do my homework on a new manager and looking at this blokes CV, its not great. Its just bizarre.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jan 2019 12:53

I quite like the cut of Gomes' jib to be honest

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 02 Jan 2019 12:59

This goes all the way back to the Russian guy with no money and the signings of the likes of Royston Drenthe.

Good money has been spent on bang average players brought in as short term fixes by various different managers and the result is the current bloated squad full of players who (many of which - not all) don't want to be here as they are not getting game time and have no affinity with the club, not least as the manager who signed them isn't here.

Think about it....if the company you worked for sacked their entire management team and changed direction every eight months or so things would probably be a bit of a struggle...

We need a bit of continuity. Someone needs to tell Gomes that he is here for the long term and that we should not be frightened of failure.

Identify the players who will stay with us in league one right now and plan. Those players who are not up for the fight need to be sent on their way - loan, freebie, stiffed out..whatever.

The club is frightened and that shows in the atmosphere of home games. No surprise that some of our best performances have come away from home where there is less pressure. We have lost more at home (8) than away (6) with the most home defeats of any side in the league. I'd actually fancy we would have more of a chance if we didn't have to play in the Mad Stad again this season.

I quite like Gomes and think he will do well here, but we need to give him the time to make decisions and turn things around. Binning him at the end of the season because he couldn't stop the inevitable is simply going to add to the mismanagement of the last five years or so.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 02 Jan 2019 13:21

The Prisoner This goes all the way back to the Russian guy with no money and the signings of the likes of Royston Drenthe.

Good money has been spent on bang average players brought in as short term fixes by various different managers and the result is the current bloated squad full of players who (many of which - not all) don't want to be here as they are not getting game time and have no affinity with the club, not least as the manager who signed them isn't here.

Think about it....if the company you worked for sacked their entire management team and changed direction every eight months or so things would probably be a bit of a struggle...

We need a bit of continuity. Someone needs to tell Gomes that he is here for the long term and that we should not be frightened of failure.

Identify the players who will stay with us in league one right now and plan. Those players who are not up for the fight need to be sent on their way - loan, freebie, stiffed out..whatever.

The club is frightened and that shows in the atmosphere of home games. No surprise that some of our best performances have come away from home where there is less pressure. We have lost more at home (8) than away (6) with the most home defeats of any side in the league. I'd actually fancy we would have more of a chance if we didn't have to play in the Mad Stad again this season.

I quite like Gomes and think he will do well here, but we need to give him the time to make decisions and turn things around. Binning him at the end of the season because he couldn't stop the inevitable is simply going to add to the mismanagement of the last five years or so.

Fear it might not be a case of binning him at the end of the season, but him wanting to leave (and probably having a relegation get-out clause)

biff

by biff » 02 Jan 2019 13:32

The "atmosphere at home" argument is wafer thin. We aren't exactly Galatasaray-esc in our criticism of players. Politely clapped off Meite yesterday, even though he is a poor mans Mathieu Manset, and AFTER he trudged and wasted our own time.

This is all on the players. We as fans need to stop being so fcking wet and self critical. We're paying a pretty penny to watch utter dross, and we sit there and bear it like a drugged up patient.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 02 Jan 2019 14:20

I think the answer to the question is - depending on how much the owners value championship football. No investment on players would equal relegation.

Genuinely think if we get a new LB and a decent CB to partner Moore we'll pick up some form and just stay up this season.
Sick of the nothing balls thrown into the middle to end up in the back of the net. Or little telegraphed clipped ball over the top ending up on a 1 on 1.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Jan 2019 15:21

genome
Maneki Neko genuinely starting to believe mad conspiracy theories about the owners deliberately crashing the club into administration and bankruptcy so they can sell the land/ground.

we are oxf*rd.

Even if that was true, we're far too middle class a fanbase to kick up a fuss about it. We'd probably just shrug our shoulders, tut a bit, and then move on.

Thought the atmosphere was pitiful yesterday - a reflection of the shit on the pitch of course, but we really are a terrible fanbase sometimes

I think, as with the players that soft as shite first goal totally killed anything we had in terms of belief

247 posts