Hob Nob Legend

Re: Man CitHEHEHE

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Jan 2019 07:46

The tie is not a done deal yet.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Jan 2019 10:46

AthleticoSpizz The tie is not a done deal yet.

:)

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Jan 2019 11:10

AthleticoSpizz The tie is not a done deal yet.

Agreed. If Burton can just keep it tight for 10 minutes they might only lose 8-0 in the second leg.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Jan 2019 11:49

Was a bit disappointed, never seen a 10-0 before, city certainly went for it.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Jan 2019 14:07

I once saw successive 8-0 games which must be fairly unusual (England v Turkey then Watford v Darlington)

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Jan 2019 14:20

Nameless I once saw successive 8-0 games which must be fairly unusual (England v Turkey then Watford v Darlington)

Only Rotherham and Burton, but there can't be many teams in recent times who have scored 16 goals in two games, like what you saw.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Jan 2019 14:26

windermereROYAL Was a bit disappointed, never seen a 10-0 before, city certainly went for it.

I saw on Twitter that some poor sod had De Bruyne to score first and City to win 10-0 :lol:

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 10 Jan 2019 21:06

And to think it could have been 1-1.....that really was a terrible miss.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Jan 2019 21:08

bah...10 goals should see it for Burton

Seriously, like Cloughie jnr said.....it was all about Burton even being there in the first place...fair play

Duffy

by Duffy » 11 Jan 2019 09:41

If ever there was evidence they should scrap the two leg semi-final it was this game.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 14 Jan 2019 21:41

60 minutes into wolves game ……. Lol at the stats

Possession 80/20

Shots 12/1

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2019 08:36

Man City v Wolves was abysmal thanks to the early red card, Wolves may as well have walked off the pitch and forfeited the game. Turned into a nothing contest in which City bored everyone into submission. I personally thought it was a modern day red card, never would have been a red 20 years ago but you can't get away with launching into a tackle anymore even if you do get the ball.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Jan 2019 09:44

I don't know if the analysts discussed it (I stopped watching after the second goal) but if so did they compared the red to Pogba's "tackle" on Alli on Sunday? That looked far worse

Very dull game, and the empty seats made me think Citeh fans have given up on the season already, which seems premature

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Jan 2019 09:58

Silver Fox the empty seats made me think Citeh fans have given up on the season already, which seems premature

I think that is just standard for a non-top 6 game at The Etihad.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2019 10:06

I think the magic is completely lost when you buy success the way they have. As silly as it sounds constant success is boring and without hving the downs you'll never fully be able to enjoy the ups in football. Thats why the 05/06 season was and is celebrated the way it is by us, it came largely out of nowhere after years and years in the abyss. We had so many downs in my time as a supporter the elation felt by that success was something else. Had we gone on to then be sold to a multi billionaire and bought title after title after that I'd have soon lost my enthusiasm. I love the fact we are up and down on a footballing rollercoaster and I know that is the appeal for friends of mine who support other Football League clubs. Man City used to be an up and down side too, they were the lesser Manchester Club and because of the way their success has come about it must be really weird for the older City fans who remember going down to League 1 not long ago and having to scrape past Gillingham in a play off final to get into the Championship.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Jan 2019 17:28

Old Man Andrews I think the magic is completely lost when you buy success the way they have. As silly as it sounds constant success is boring and without hving the downs you'll never fully be able to enjoy the ups in football. Thats why the 05/06 season was and is celebrated the way it is by us, it came largely out of nowhere after years and years in the abyss. We had so many downs in my time as a supporter the elation felt by that success was something else. Had we gone on to then be sold to a multi billionaire and bought title after title after that I'd have soon lost my enthusiasm. I love the fact we are up and down on a footballing rollercoaster and I know that is the appeal for friends of mine who support other Football League clubs. Man City used to be an up and down side too, they were the lesser Manchester Club and because of the way their success has come about it must be really weird for the older City fans who remember going down to League 1 not long ago and having to scrape past Gillingham in a play off final to get into the Championship.

Leicester apart, which team hasn't bought the title.

Liverpool did it in the 70's & 80's, buying up everyone else's best players each year. If they win the title this year it'll be on the back of spending more in the last three windows than the other 'big clubs' (and yes, I know they recouped loads for Coutinho, but my argument there would be that, if you find a cheap player that turns out to be worth £200m, then spend the £200m on other players, that's just the luck of the draw)

Blackburn spent heavily to buy the title

Man Utd the same. Despite the fact that they had a group of academy stars, they still spent VERY big on the likes of Ferdinand, Rooney, Veron and others (they sort of repeated the Liverpool trick of buying up everyone else's best)

Chelsea - well, that one is well known

Arsenal are quite possibly the exception to the rule amongst the 'big clubs', although my memory may be dimmed by virtue of the exceptionally long time since they won the title

As for City, it appears they're only spending enough to catch up with the spending of others before them, although quite why they blew £60m on Mahrez is beyond me

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Jan 2019 19:42

Hendo
Silver Fox the empty seats made me think Citeh fans have given up on the season already, which seems premature

Wasn't it their 4th home game in 11 days?.
The owners might be billionaires but the fans aren't and football is no longer an inexpensive form of entertainment .....and it was on TV.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 15 Jan 2019 20:38

Victor Meldrew
Hendo

The owners might be billionaires but the fans aren't and football is no longer an inexpensive form of entertainment .....and it was on TV.

Lot of empty seats for Man Utd v Reading as well

How many did Reading take btw?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 16 Jan 2019 00:08

BR0B0T
Victor Meldrew
Hendo

Lot of empty seats for Man Utd v Reading as well

How many did Reading take btw?

3000 I think

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Jan 2019 09:51

Franchise FC Liverpool did it in the 70's & 80's, buying up everyone else's best players each year.

That's not how I remember it. Who in that time did they buy who would've been everyone else's best players each ?

The way I remember it they brought a lot of players through and then supplemented it with buying good players from Scotland and lower to mid table teams down here and fitting them into the way they played and made them better.

Maybe you're thinking of the late 80s when they went for the likes of Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge (who incidentally they bought off the back of a relegation battle with Oxford).

I totally agree that, Leicester apart, the Premier League has generally been won by teams spending a lot rather than building and improving a squad like Spurs have been attempting to do.

801 posts