Re: Rumour - Mo Barrow

by Hound » 29 Jan 2019 18:11

But meh on this really

2.5-3m and they can have him

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2019 18:30

I think Barrow is a perfect example of why we're shit.

On his day he's electric. But those days are rare. And he's a total liability for the team defensive shape.

We've brought in far too many talented players with low work rate and poor application on big money over the years. We've focused far too much on trying to get something different from better club's proven failures.

That's fine for the odd one if you've got a great man manager. Less so if you get loads with a string of mediocre managers.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jan 2019 20:03

Sutekh Wanted by Buraspor on loan with a view to summer permanent move

https://www.football.london/reading-fc/ ... w-15749629

Would have no problem with him going. We are pretty well stocked in his position and don't think we'd be weaker if he went but no major concern with him staying either.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jan 2019 07:26

Hull are also interested apparently.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2019 08:19

If we got an offer of £2m and invested all of it in a hungrier, younger winger then I am all over it. It is all about the replacement for me, if we can't get someone in who is better than Barrow then what is the point?

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 30 Jan 2019 08:45

Old Man Andrews If we got an offer of £2m and invested all of it in a hungrier, younger winger then I am all over it. It is all about the replacement for me, if we can't get someone in who is better than Barrow then what is the point?

I'd even be happy with investing in a proper LB instead and use players already on the books in his place.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Jan 2019 08:53

Old Man Andrews If we got an offer of £2m and invested all of it in a hungrier, younger winger then I am all over it. It is all about the replacement for me, if we can't get someone in who is better than Barrow then what is the point?

If we can't find someone better than Barrow, then we're obviously not looking far, he's criminally overrated and absolutely atrocious 90% of the time. Started 15 games this season and scored 0 goals, with 1 goal off the bench, barely scored any at all in the whole of 2018 yet people treat him like he's untouchable. Baffling

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2019 08:54

URZZZZ

If we can't find someone better than Barrow, then we're obviously not looking far, he's criminally overrated and absolutely atrocious 90% of the time. Started 15 games this season and scored 0 goals, with 1 goal off the bench, barely scored any at all in the whole of 2018 yet people treat him like he's untouchable. Baffling

Better for that sort of money will be hard. Would likely have to go down a league to get someone up and coming which I'm fine with.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Jan 2019 09:28

URZZZZ

He's not been great this season, but he scored 10 goals and got 4 assists last season, which is great for a winger at this level. He almost won player of the season.

People have to understand that in the Championship, with wingers you will get pace and lack of consistency, or vice versa. If he had both then he would be playing in the Premier League.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2019 09:30

genome
URZZZZ

He's not been great this season, but he scored 10 goals and got 4 assists last season, which is great for a winger at this level. He almost won player of the season.

People have to understand that in the Championship, with wingers you will get pace and lack of consistency, or vice versa. If he had both then he would be playing in the Premier League.

He's a luxury player and every team needs one for me, even if it is just off the bench. I would use him in that role until the end of the season tbh, bring him on around the 60 minute mark when the opposition are a bit tired. His pace is a weapon against a tired full back.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Jan 2019 09:40

genome
URZZZZ

But how many more chances will we give him? Rewind 12 months, how many fans were slating Kermorgant, Gunter, McShane, McCleary, Beerens etc when they all had really good seasons the year before last. To me, Barrow has been worse this season than any of the above mentioned last season yet takes half the flak for it

As I've said previously, there's no denying he was one of our better players last year. But that's half the problem. He had one 8/10 game for every three 4/10's. Yet that was still better than most. We need consistency, not people with a bad attitude and people who are incredibly lazy (although tbf, he has improved with his defensive side a little recently, still not enough)

The pace vs consistency argument is nonsense IMO, what would you categorise McCleary into? He's not quick anymore, seems to have lost his pace after his injury and he blows hot and cold too often himself. Pace isn't a valid reason to put someone into the team, they actually need ability

Wouldn't mind him as an impact sub as the poster above said, but I'd much rather sell him rather than watch him fail to deliver yet again

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Jan 2019 09:51

URZZZZ
genome
URZZZZ

But how many more chances will we give him? Rewind 12 months, how many fans were slating Kermorgant, Gunter, McShane, McCleary, Beerens etc when they all had really good seasons the year before last. To me, Barrow has been worse this season than any of the above mentioned last season yet takes half the flak for it

As I've said previously, there's no denying he was one of our better players last year. But that's half the problem. He had one 8/10 game for every three 4/10's. Yet that was still better than most. We need consistency, not people with a bad attitude and people who are incredibly lazy (although tbf, he has improved with his defensive side a little recently, still not enough)

The pace vs consistency argument is nonsense IMO, what would you categorise McCleary into? He's not quick anymore, seems to have lost his pace after his injury and he blows hot and cold too often himself. Pace isn't a valid reason to put someone into the team, they actually need ability

Wouldn't mind him as an impact sub as the poster above said, but I'd much rather sell him rather than watch him fail to deliver yet again

General quality is what I was getting at, of which Barrow's biggest quality is pace and direct running. That's not going to translate into goals and assists from him every game, you're not going to get that from any winger in this league. If you did, he would be snapped up by a top flight team pretty quickly.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jan 2019 09:59

In my view he has just been found out a bit this year. Last year he was still relatively unknown

Teams have worked him/us out. Don't give him space behind you, and be aware he leaves plenty of space behind him to double up on our full back.

Which is why I'd be happy enough to see him go despite being decent last year

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 30 Jan 2019 10:09

Ability to put decent ball in the box is a far greater weapon than pace out on the wing. Getting to the by line and not being able to put a ball in is quite useless tbh.
All Barrow does is give us an out ball option on the counter. I wont be sad if he goes and I dont think we will miss him one bit.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2019 10:54

From what Anthony "Smudger" Smith understands Mo Barrow is going nowhere.

Hull will be unveiling him at 4pm then.

biff

by biff » 30 Jan 2019 11:40

Flatters to deceive. No longer backs himself on the outside, which is pointless when all you have is pace and no final ball. See ya.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 30 Jan 2019 14:31

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Better for that sort of money will be hard. Would likely have to go down a league to get someone up and coming which I'm fine with.

I've heard of some young lad by the name of Tarique Fosu doing quite well at Charlton...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jan 2019 17:41

HITC are reporting Hull have bid £2m for Barrow.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/01/30/d ... ou-barrow/

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 30 Jan 2019 18:22

Coppells Lost Coat

I'd even be happy with investing in a proper LB instead and use players already on the books in his place.

Agree 100%, we have Harriot and McCleary who could do the job till the end of the season as well as Ejaria. This gives us 2 Million to go get a respectable left back and solve this position which has crippled us over the last few seasons.