115 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (h) sponsored by not long to desperation

by Sutekh » 30 Jan 2019 10:09

When : Saturday 2nd February, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

The mess that is Reading’s season splats itself into a challenge from Aston Villa next. While general play and form within game is improving the results really aren’t not helped by the continuing problem that Reading just do not create enough. However there is something to cling to with the last home performance v Forest being the best of the season and the squad overall has improved since then – hasn’t it?

Villa aren’t exactly firing though with a record of just 2 wins (Swansea (a) and Ipswich (h)) from their last 9 league games. Additionally they’ve only kept one clean sheet in that run (in the win at Swansea) so they are obviously a little suspect defensively. However the number of teams that are on a bad run when Reading appear before them only to be able to improve that bad run is quite amazing this season.

With the transfer window still open there could be some departures still to be had though most of these will be with players who would not be playing v Villa anyway. Only Blackett and Barrow are currently subject to transfer speculation from those that would be in the squad. No changes are expected inwardly though there is a strong rumour in the media Adel Taraabt might joining…

Injuries are pretty much the same as ever. Bod should be fully recovered by the time the game comes round but Oliveira has picked up a minor abductor muscle strain which is unsurprising given his lack of match fitness after not playing for 8 months or so.
Referee

Geoff Eltringham is looking forward to this one.

Previously

29 Sep 18 > Brentford 2-2 Reading
03 Feb 18 > Reading 0-2 Millwall
22 Apr 17 > Nottingham Forest 3-2 Reading
17 Mar 17 > Sheffield Wednesday 0-2 Reading
04 Feb 17 > Ipswich Town 2-2 Reading
13 Dec 16 > Leeds United 2-0 Reading
02 Apr 16 > Bolton Wanderers 0-1 Reading
12 Dec 15 > Preston North End 1-0 Reading
07 Apr 15 > Blackpool 1-1 Reading
23 Nov 13 > Blackburn Rovers 0-0 Reading
14 Feb 12 > Derby County 0-1 Reading

Historically

Historically Reading's home league record against Villa pretty awful with just 2 wins and 5 defeats to show from the 7 games played so far and a scoring aggregate of 10 for and 14 against.

All of the last 4 league home games against Villa have ended 2-1 to one or the other team and in all of the last 6 home league games the side which scored twice won the game.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription (by the way has anyone managed to get the actual game commentary working on an iPhone/android as yet)
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (h) sponsored by not long to desperation

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2019 10:13

Short man Geoff the ref for this one. Lets hope he isn't a little Hitler.

Team for this one:

Martinez

Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Blackett

Rinomhota
Bacuna
Baker

Aluko
Oliveira (even if he has one leg)
Eljaria

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Jan 2019 10:39

Martinez

Yiadom
Miazga
Blackett
Richards

Rino
Swift

Harriott
Aluko
Ejaria

Oliveira

Walker, Moore, Bacuna, Baker, Barrow, Bodvarsson, Baldock

Tough choice with Moore, he's a decent enough defender but he's painfully poor on the ball, he takes too long on the ball and seems incapable of passing the ball into the space in front of the player, rather playing it to feet and slowing down any momentum generated

Depends if Gomes opts for style or substance, because IMO Moore doesn't fit the style and isn't a long term fit for us. However, he's our best defender currently and we need results

Still think we need one more winger and a LB, but the squad depth is improving

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2019 10:47

URZZZZ Martinez

Yiadom
Miazga
Blackett
Richards

Rino
Swift

Harriott
Aluko
Ejaria

Oliveira

Tough choice with Moore, he's a decent enough defender but he's painfully poor on the ball, he takes too long on the ball and seems incapable of passing the ball into the space in front of the player, rather playing it to feet and slowing down any momentum generated

Depends if Gomes opts for style or substance, because IMO Moore doesn't fit the style and isn't a long term fit for us. However, he's our best defender currently and we need results

Your opinion on Moore is complete nonsense, utterly laughable.

Also excellent defensive cover with the midfield of Swift, Harriott, Aluko and Eljaria. We have to play with two holding midfielders and will do on Saturday.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Jan 2019 10:58

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ Martinez

Yiadom
Miazga
Blackett
Richards

Rino
Swift

Harriott
Aluko
Ejaria

Oliveira

Also excellent defensive cover with the midfield of Swift, Harriott, Aluko and Eljaria. We have to play with two holding midfielders and will do on Saturday.

Do you mean like we did vs QPR which has been our best performance under Gomes? Swift, Aluko, Barrow, Rino, McCleary was our five midfielders and we kept a clean sheet and played well

If my opinion on Moore is so laughable, how about you actually watch him for a game? Can you ever remember him playing a forward decisive pass leading to a goal or even an attack. It's just safe, sideways passing with Moore, very much like Gunter, and he puts others into pressure by passing it to them with a man behind them

As I said, he's a good defender but not a ball player, hence why Brighton were interested in him, not exactly known for playing passing football under Hughton, just 4-4-2 basic effective football which he suits well

If we're picking holes with other people's teams, why are you starting Baker who was really poor against Derby and consequently subbed off at half time? Why are you playing Blackett at LB, when he's a lot better at CB? Why are you not starting any natural wingers? Don't slate other people's opinions because funnily enough, it's a personal opinion. Grow up a little bit

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 30 Jan 2019 11:01

Sutekh Bod should be fully recovered by the time the game comes round

FWIW Joey Gomes said that Bod was fit to be back on the bench last night but stayed home on baby daddy duties

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2019 11:04

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ Martinez

Yiadom
Miazga
Blackett
Richards

Rino
Swift

Harriott
Aluko
Ejaria

Oliveira

Do you mean like we did vs QPR which has been our best performance under Gomes? Swift, Aluko, Barrow, Rino, McCleary was our five midfielders and we kept a clean sheet and played well

If my opinion on Moore is so laughable, how about you actually watch him for a game? Can you ever remember him playing a forward decisive pass leading to a goal or even an attack. It's just safe, sideways passing with Moore, very much like Gunter, and he puts others into pressure by passing it to them with a man behind them

As I said, he's a good defender but not a ball player, hence why Brighton were interested in him, not exactly known for playing passing football under Hughton, just 4-4-2 basic effective football which he suits well

If we're picking holes with other people's teams, why are you starting Baker who was really poor against Derby and consequently subbed off at half time? Why are you playing Blackett at LB, when he's a lot better at CB? Why are you not starting any natural wingers? Don't slate other people's opinions because funnily enough, it's a personal opinion. Grow up a little bit

Moore plays the ball out as he is instructed to, all of our defenders play sideways balls. His job is to get the ball to our midfielders which he readily does. Liam Moore is actually very good on the ball and you'd know that if you watched him play.

Blackett is natually left footed and is a safer option that Richards.

Baker deserves to start over Swift who was very poor last night. One bad performance away to one of the leagues best team doesn't make him a bad player.

Villa have two very good full backs, I would rather we have attacking midfielders supporting Oliveira and who can cut inside and play through the Villa CB's. Villa's keeper is ropey and I'd like Aluko and Eljaria to take long shots if possible and they couldn't do that from the wings.

Your personal opinion is wrong in my opinion, grow up and accept criticsm.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jan 2019 11:11

Martinez
Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Gunter

Rino
Bacuna
Swift

Ejaria
Oliveira
Aluko

Bod, Keeper, Harriott, McCleary, Blackett, Baker, Loader

Minimal changes. Need to stop chopping and changing.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2019 11:12

Hound Martinez
Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Gunter

Rino
Bacuna
Swift

Ejaria
Oliveira
Aluko

How in the hell can you justify playing Gunter after last night?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Jan 2019 11:18

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews

Moore plays the ball out as he is instructed to, all of our defenders play sideways balls. His job is to get the ball to our midfielders which he readily does. Liam Moore is actually very good on the ball and you'd know that if you watched him play.

Blackett is natually left footed and is a safer option that Richards.

Baker deserves to start over Swift who was very poor last night. One bad performance away to one of the leagues best team doesn't make him a bad player.

Villa have two very good full backs, I would rather we have attacking midfielders supporting Oliveira and who can cut inside and play through the Villa CB's. Villa's keeper is ropey and I'd like Aluko and Eljaria to take long shots if possible and they couldn't do that from the wings.

Your personal opinion is wrong in my opinion, grow up and accept criticsm.

As I watched the game and saw Moore give the ball away numerous times, I think I'm entitled to that opinion. The Jonathan Low said in his ratings "poor in possession", I think he knows a little bit more than you

Blackett went LB last night and funnily enough we conceded from his position, as well as him being constantly out of position even in 10 minutes, he drifts in too much because funnily enough, I think he's a better CB

One bad performance doesn't mean Swift should be dropped. Not a Swift fan but he's improved dramatically. Not writing Baker off yet but Swift should and will be ahead of him on Saturday if i was to guess

Villa's fullbacks aren't great. Hutton is unreliable and Taylor is one of their worst players. So it may be better to for quicker, more direct players. I wouldn't even be against Barrow starting against them

I can take criticism, "I don't agree" not "your opinion is nonsense". Who's to say your opinion is any better? Anyway, I'm not going to respond to you again on this matter because you're clearly extremely immature. Good day to you

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jan 2019 11:24

Old Man Andrews
Hound Martinez
Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Gunter

Rino
Bacuna
Swift

Ejaria
Oliveira
Aluko

I didn't watch the game. have no idea how he played bar a JLow rating

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2019 11:25

Hound
Old Man Andrews
Hound Martinez
Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Gunter

Rino
Bacuna
Swift

Ejaria
Oliveira
Aluko

It was the absolute pits mate.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 30 Jan 2019 11:30

Are we back at a point of picking Aluko to play down the wing / out wide?
Its either Swift OR Aluko down the middle for me and I think Harriott just edges it for me ahead of Barrow

Martinez

Yiadom
Miazga
Moore
Blackett

Rino
Bacuna

Harriott
Aluko
Ejaria

Oliveira

Walker, Swift, Baker, Barrow, Bodvarsson, Gunter / Richards + Youth CB

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jan 2019 11:32

----------------Martinez
Yiadom--Moore--Miazga--Blackett
Rinomhota--Bacuna--Baker
--------------Swift----Aluko
-----------------Oliviera

Tactic = Keep the ball and pummel them with shots. I usually hate when players hit and hope but I get the feeling we are gonna need it.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Jan 2019 11:37

Rumours are that Villa are trying to get Chalobah from Watford and/or Hayden from Newcastle.
That implies to me that they lack bite in central midfield but they do still have the excellent Grealish in midfield.

Hopefully our new management team is aware that Grealish is far and away the best creative midfielder at this level and nearly all of Villa's attacking moves come through him.
It strikes me that this is a case for the Rino-stop Grealish and you stop Villa.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2019 11:38

NewCorkSeth ----------------Martinez
Yiadom--Moore--Miazga--Blackett
Rinomhota--Bacuna--Baker
--------------Swift----Aluko
-----------------Oliviera

Tactic = Keep the ball and pummel them with shots. I usually hate when players hit and hope but I get the feeling we are gonna need it.

Yep agree fully.

nailseabiscuitman

by nailseabiscuitman » 30 Jan 2019 12:39

Hound
Old Man Andrews
Hound Martinez
Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Gunter

Rino
Bacuna
Swift

Ejaria
Oliveira
Aluko

I'd drop him too, weakens team with Yiadom playing on the left, but Blackett didn't look too secure and will he be here on Saturday?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2019 12:43

nailseabiscuitman
Hound
Old Man Andrews

I'd drop him too, weakens team with Yiadom playing on the left, but Blackett didn't look too secure and will he be here on Saturday?

Left back is something that needed sorting out at the start of this season, totally stupid and irresponsible that we have got to the end of the January transfer window with only one fit left back. They must have known there was a chance Obita wouldn't be fit again and did nothing to cover themselves. Criminal.

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 30 Jan 2019 16:16

Old Man Andrews
nailseabiscuitman
Hound

Left back is something that needed sorting out at the start of this season, totally stupid and irresponsible that we have got to the end of the January transfer window with only one fit left back. They must have known there was a chance Obita wouldn't be fit again and did nothing to cover themselves. Criminal.

We've needed another natural left back for years, never mind the start of this season - ever since Bridge got injured and we had to rely on an untested academy winger. Luckily he adapted very well, but apart from Obita we haven't really had any decent competition in that position. Jure Travner and Andrew Taylor were probably never going to be long-term solutions - and Blackett is better at CB. I just don't understand that for about 4 or 5 years we've made do with Obita (who might have been better used further up the pitch), and when he's injured have to resort to playing a RB or winger out of position.

Richards has potential but for me is far too defensively naive to be starting in the Championship.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 30 Jan 2019 16:37

Old Man Andrews
nailseabiscuitman
Hound

This x10, this has been our weak spot for years now and yet it still hasn't been sorted, it is criminal to play players out of there natural positions unless totally unavoidable!! 2/3 years is not totally unavoidable!!
I would also be wary of starting with Oliveira on Saturday, the guy has not played all season and we need him fit for the remaining games not on the injury bench for half of them.

115 posts