Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Gomes Interview

by Hound » 01 Feb 2019 14:06

yep interesting read

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 01 Feb 2019 14:46

Hopefully that adds a bit of context to the experts Wiki knowledge of Jose's colourful career. More importantly, let's hope he can keep us up!

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 01 Feb 2019 14:58

Yep. Enjoyed that.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 01 Feb 2019 15:20

Well I'm sold. Nice to read an interview of a Reading manager who genuinely sees it as a prize rather than a stepping stone.

royal67

by royal67 » 01 Feb 2019 15:22

Thanks. That was a good read. Gomez is very likeable, I think that he will be very good for the club.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Feb 2019 16:30

Ranty McRantface Hopefully that adds a bit of context to the experts on Wiki knowledge of Jose's colourful career.

Aye, but what of some of the experts in here? :wink:
Last edited by Denver Royal on 01 Feb 2019 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Feb 2019 16:45

+1 very enjoyable read.

The guy becomes more likable every time he speaks.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Feb 2019 17:19

Absolutely no doubt Gomes is a passionate, enthusiastic and likeable guy. There's also no doubt that article is written with a specific editorial narrative in mind.

It doesn't address any of the performance questions that were raised before Gomes joined, but it does give useful insight into his motivations, desires and experience.

As Paul Clement found, it's a results based business though. Ultimately it matters not how likeable he is or what his intentions and motivations are. If he doesn't win enough games he'll go and be deemed a failure.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Feb 2019 17:30

Snowflake Royal As Paul Clement found, it's a results based business though. Ultimately it matters not how likeable he is or what his intentions and motivations are. If he doesn't win enough games he'll go and be deemed a failure.

Second this. Clement had at least identified the one area of the squad that needed strengthening. Now after the transfer window (on paper at least) we appear far weaker than before. Need results not words. By end of February honeymoon may well be over.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Feb 2019 17:45

Lower West
Snowflake Royal As Paul Clement found, it's a results based business though. Ultimately it matters not how likeable he is or what his intentions and motivations are. If he doesn't win enough games he'll go and be deemed a failure.

Second this. Clement had at least identified the one area of the squad that needed strengthening. Now after the transfer window (on paper at least) we appear far weaker than before. Need results not words. By end of February honeymoon may well be over.

Don't agree we're far weaker after the transfer window. Time will tell but it doesn't look much different to me.

Fewer viable options I guess, but we had way too many players.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Feb 2019 17:45

Lower West

Clement had a disastrous transfer window, pre season and half season. Gomes is picking up the pieces of that and Stams appalling season before that.

As with Pardew who brought a totally fresh approach someone has to turn it around.

A few people in here made their minds up before Gomes managed a game.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Feb 2019 18:09

Snowflake Royal Ultimately it matters not how likeable he is

When Clement was here, didn't you say on more than one occasion that 'I like him, which goes a long way. (Plus, I expect us to go down anyway)' ?
Snowflake Royal If Gomes doesn't win enough games he'll go and be deemed a failure.

So you consider Clement a failure then?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 01 Feb 2019 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Feb 2019 18:24

Lower West

I think it would be really hard to back up the arguement that on paper we ended the window weaker than we started it.
I think the squad is stronger and leaner AND we got very decent feesfor a couple of players who were at best inconsistent contributors.
Odd that apparently Clement thought there was only one area that needed strengthening. I think most people would have realised we needed more than one position looked at.....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Feb 2019 18:32

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal As Paul Clement found, it's a results based business. Ultimately it matters not how likeable he is or what his intentions and motivations are.

When Clement was here, didn't you say on more than one occasion that 'I like him, which goes a long way. Plus, I expect us to go down anyway' ?
Snowflake Royal If Gomes doesn't win enough games he'll go and be deemed a failure.

Something along those lines yes.

Can he be labelled anything else? Have I claimed he was not?

Have I said I don't like Gomes?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Feb 2019 07:05

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal As Paul Clement found, it's a results based business. Ultimately it matters not how likeable he is or what his intentions and motivations are.

When Clement was here, didn't you say on more than one occasion that 'I like him, which goes a long way. Plus, I expect us to go down anyway' ?

Something along those lines yes.

Can he be labelled anything else? Have I claimed he was not?

Have I said I don't like Gomes?

Clement was a failure. Looking back you could tell it was wrong after the appalling preseason where Reading looked poor and lost to nonleague sides. Like most things under Mr Gourlay appear to have been, it was an utter disaster.

Perhaps Gomes may turn out the same, perhaps not. His problem is that the club was left in a bigger hole then it had been left in when Stam went but at least it appears he is saying and doing the right things as best able given the position the club is in.

Not sure what else he could have done to improve the lot of the club.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Feb 2019 10:05

We've been crying out for a management team both on and off the field to come in and shake things up and not repeat the errors of the previous couple of years. It may not be pretty in the short term but I reckon we'll be in a better position in 5 years' time.

It's partly why, unless the season is a complete car crash, I'd like to see us stick with Gomes even if we go down. He's inherited a shambles but he's talking a good game and as far as I can see, acting decisively to rectify some of the issues. I've said all along, what we need more than anything is consistancy and stability and that may involve having to take a couple of steps back to move forward.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Feb 2019 10:20

From Despair To Where? We've been crying out for a management team both on and off the field to come in and shake things up and not repeat the errors of the previous couple of years. It may not be pretty in the short term but I reckon we'll be in a better position in 5 years' time.

It's partly why, unless the season is a complete car crash, I'd like to see us stick with Gomes even if we go down. He's inherited a shambles but he's talking a good game and as far as I can see, acting decisively to rectify some of the issues. I've said all along, what we need more than anything is consistancy and stability and that may involve having to take a couple of steps back to move forward.

This, basically.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Feb 2019 10:25

Until the mess behind the scenes is sorted out the managers job is a bit of a poisened chalice if you ask me.

Yeah, Clement ultimately failed but, without wanting to make excuses for him, the task in hand was probably verging on the impossible.

Gomes will hopefully have a better stab at things if some of the structural issues have been resolved. I’m not convinced that the environment will be a whole lot better, or that he’s quite the right man for the job, but he’s certainly making the right noises and I’m pretty impressed with the outcome of this transfer window.

Getting an effective side made up of a lid of loan signings is still a pretty tall order though. But fingers crossed he’ll do enough to keep us up and rebuild in the summer.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 02 Feb 2019 10:57

leon
Lower West

Clement had a disastrous transfer window, pre season and half season. Gomes is picking up the pieces of that and Stams appalling season before that.

As with Pardew who brought a totally fresh approach someone has to turn it around.

A few people in here made their minds up before Gomes managed a game.

I did.

Would love to be proved wrong obvs, but it still seems like emperor's New clothes after Stam et al.

Are we now assuming we won't crack and make fukk ups when pressed high as we play it short from the back? Or that we will be able to pass it through a team sat defending in 2 organised banks.

Hope so, just can't see it