BFTG - The miracle of Carrow Road.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - The miracle of Carrow Road.

by Denver Royal » 11 Apr 2019 16:52

2 world wars, 1 world cup At 2-2 we hand it to him as a brilliant stroke of genius. BUT at 2-1 I was cursing him for doing the same old bullshit of trying to hold onto 1-0. How many times have we seen this before? Far far too many times, trying to hold on only for us to eventually concede in the dying minutes. Yet we've also see that when we have nothing to lose and try and attack we seem to manage it. Attack is another form of defence, and had it ended 2-1 I'd have said he got that tried and failed tactic of holding onto a lead completely wrong. But as it happens he got a point and we'll be calling him a genius.

Well, along with tactics and strategies, it's about how well the players execute. Which they did, for the most part.
Some said Pukki would score a bunch, but in fact both their goals were scored by their CB's.
But yes, if we don't equalize, you'd be giving Gomes some flack re. tactics. :wink:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 11 Apr 2019 17:03

NewCorkSeth Barrow is showing why I spent the first half of the season defending him. While he was in poor form under Clement so many people turned on him. "Hes lazy" "Waste of Space" etc.. Those comments were harsh then and reflect poorly on those of you who said them. On Twitter in February some guy complained endlessly about Barrow and said after he was dropped to the bench for a game that Gomes obviously didnt fancy him. I hope that guy takes a long hard look at himself. Barrows pace has yet again created a goal for us. He simply offers too much to this team and his pairing with Meite is becoming beautiful.

You weren't alone. :wink:
NewCorkSeth Yiadom filled in very well as a CB. What a great buy he was. He looked composed and confident.
It gets better, cos we signed him on a free.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44160787

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 17:38

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal Blackett was signed summer 2016 on a 3 year contract.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/teams/first ... -blackett/

Oh that’s strange I was going by this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37157280

I really, really hope the club site isn't incorrect. That would be hugely embarrassing for them.

I guess this is a side effect of our transfer privacy.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Apr 2019 17:45

NewCorkSeth

I really, really hope the club site isn't incorrect. That would be hugely embarrassing for them.

It’s a hard one, which do I trust more? Both the BBC and the OS have demonstrated gross incompetencies on different levels in the past :lol: :?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 17:50

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth
CountryRoyal
Oh that’s strange I was going by this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37157280

It’s a hard one, which do I trust more? Both the BBC and the OS have demonstrated gross incompetencies on different levels in the past :lol: :?

Someone tweet Blackett and ask. Hopefully he knows better than the club and largest news organisation in Europe.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Apr 2019 17:57

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth Barrow is showing why I spent the first half of the season defending him. While he was in poor form under Clement so many people turned on him. "Hes lazy" "Waste of Space" etc.. Those comments were harsh then and reflect poorly on those of you who said them. On Twitter in February some guy complained endlessly about Barrow and said after he was dropped to the bench for a game that Gomes obviously didnt fancy him. I hope that guy takes a long hard look at himself. Barrows pace has yet again created a goal for us. He simply offers too much to this team and his pairing with Meite is becoming beautiful.

NewCorkSeth Yiadom filled in very well as a CB. What a great buy he was. He looked composed and confident.

I think you guys are confusing what a lot of people were saying about Barrow. We all knew what he could do. It was that he didn't do enough of it. eg use his pace to have a go at defences or put the effort in to track back and protect his full back. He's looking more like the Barrow of last season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Apr 2019 18:01

He definitely wasn’t happy under Clement. He really didn’t perform for him at all. Whether that was an attitude issue, or PCs tactics/set up, it’s difficult to say. I’d have happily seen him sold in Jan tbh

He has been a real asset in the last 10 games or so. Massively improved, and a lot of credit to Gomes for that

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Apr 2019 18:09

Hound He definitely wasn’t happy under Clement. He really didn’t perform for him at all. Whether that was an attitude issue, or PCs tactics/set up, it’s difficult to say. I’d have happily seen him sold in Jan tbh

He has been a real asset in the last 10 games or so. Massively improved, and a lot of credit to Gomes for that

Spot on.

A lot of credit to Gomes for a lot.

Whether we stay up or go down, noone can deny Gomes has really done wonders with the morale of the squad. He had to be cruel by splitting the first team from the deadwood etc, but he's really done a good job there and Barrow I think is one example. He even got one amazing game out of the biggest flop in our history!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 11 Apr 2019 18:21

leon
Denver Royal

I think you guys are confusing what a lot of people were saying about Barrow. We all knew what he could do. It was that he didn't do enough of it. eg use his pace to have a go at defences or put the effort in to track back and protect his full back. He's looking more like the Barrow of last season.

Yep, fair pints, he's definitely upped his game, no doubt.
I think Barrow, like Swift, is a player that will divide opinion, but both have improved under Gomes (as I suspected they might).
Then again, when you are down near the relegation zone for most of the season and the defeats pile up, then most everyone is subject to scrutiny and criticism.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 18:24

leon
Denver Royal

Well I'll clarify what I meant because I think a lot of people were saying that Barrow was shite and not just in shite form. I was often choosing Barrow in either my preferred starting 11 or even on the bench and people were saying he wasn't good enough to be involved in the game in any capacity.

I fully recognised he was out of form and agree with the above opinion that he wasn't happy under Clement and it showed on the pitch but my defence for having him involved in the team was that he had the unique (in our team at least) ability to offer a different outlet to all of our other players and that that was worth pursuing. That was met with ridicule by some.

When Baldock was doing a good job on the left flank Barrow was understandably out of the team but the mere suggestion by me that he would be a good impact sub due to his speed was also laughed at.

Here's a few quotes from the January Barrow off rumour thread.

"If we can't find someone better than Barrow, then we're obviously not looking far, he's criminally overrated and absolutely atrocious 90% of the time. Started 15 games this season and scored 0 goals, with 1 goal off the bench, barely scored any at all in the whole of 2018 yet people treat him like he's untouchable. Baffling"

"I go to watch Reading win preferably in an entertaining way. Not watch Mo produce no goals and do oxf*rd all hard work"

"Would have no problem with him going. We are pretty well stocked in his position and don't think we'd be weaker if he went but no major concern with him staying either."

"I think Barrow is a perfect example of why we're shit. On his day he's electric. But those days are rare. And he's a total liability for the team defensive shape."

"Ability to put decent ball in the box is a far greater weapon than pace out on the wing. Getting to the by line and not being able to put a ball in is quite useless tbh. All Barrow does is give us an out ball option on the counter. I wont be sad if he goes and I dont think we will miss him one bit."

They don't really read to me like people who recognise a players ability. They read to me like people who think a player is worthless and his not being here wouldn't impact the team at all. This was after a lot of the same posters recognised in match threads that he had improved under Gomes, even in his defensive contributions. So he was improving, they remember him scoring 10 goals last season yet thought he wasn't worth keeping around. That's poor judgement imo.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Apr 2019 18:32

[quote="NewCorkSeth"[/quote]

Barrow is showing why I spent the first half of the season defending him.

Players aren't bad footballers per se. Sometimes the formation and the job that they are asked to do doesn't suit them. With a more defensive formation (finally) . Barrow looked comfortable. No great surprises.
Last edited by Lower West on 11 Apr 2019 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 18:35

Lower West [quote="NewCorkSeth"

Barrow is showing why I spent the first half of the season defending him./quote]

Players aren't bad footballers per se. Sometimes the formation and the job that they are asked to do doesn't suit them. With a more defensive formation (finally) . Barrow looked comfortable. No great surprises.[/quote]

That was part of my defence of him. And was also my defence of Swift.

"Play someone in a tactic that doesn't suit them then don't be surprised when they don't perform" - Confucious

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Apr 2019 18:59

NewCorkSeth

Barrow is showing why I spent the first half of the season defending him./quote]

Players aren't bad footballers per se. Sometimes the formation and the job that they are asked to do doesn't suit them. With a more defensive formation (finally) . Barrow looked comfortable. No great surprises.[/quote][/quote]

"Play someone in a tactic that doesn't suit them then don't be surprised when they don't perform" - Confucious[/quote]

Trouble is playing 5 at the back isn't the manner to line up for home games.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 19:06

Lower West
NewCorkSeth

Players aren't bad footballers per se. Sometimes the formation and the job that they are asked to do doesn't suit them. With a more defensive formation (finally) . Barrow looked comfortable. No great surprises.[/quote][/quote]

"Play someone in a tactic that doesn't suit them then don't be surprised when they don't perform" - Confucious[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Trouble is playing 5 at the back isn't the manner to line up for home games.[/quote]

Whut? I think Barrow has looked comfortable in the majority of the games he has played for Gomes. We don't need to play a 5-3-2 for Barrow to play well. Hes been playing well enough as part of a rotating front 3.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Apr 2019 19:12

leon
Denver Royal

Quite.

It's also not just about Barrow in isolation either. At the time he was being criticised he a) wasn't delivering, b) wasn't putting in as much effort defensively and c) he wasn't the only under performing luxury player in the side.

You can afford at most one luxury player who will mostly ignore the dirty work when you're playing badly. At times we had three or four in the side. One of the main reasons we're doing better is that we have a better balance of players who'll get stuck in, the luxuries are also getting their hands dirty on occasion and we're playing better generally. And of course if a player delivers they won't get slated.

But in the first half of the season, a Barrow - Swift - Aluko combination where none of them put their foot in, none of them tracked back and none of them were scoring or getting assists is just a luxury disaster.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Apr 2019 19:15

NewCorkSeth
leon
Denver Royal You weren't alone. :wink:

Well I'll clarify what I meant because I think a lot of people were saying that Barrow was shite and not just in shite form. I was often choosing Barrow in either my preferred starting 11 or even on the bench and people were saying he wasn't good enough to be involved in the game in any capacity.

I fully recognised he was out of form and agree with the above opinion that he wasn't happy under Clement and it showed on the pitch but my defence for having him involved in the team was that he had the unique (in our team at least) ability to offer a different outlet to all of our other players and that that was worth pursuing. That was met with ridicule by some.

When Baldock was doing a good job on the left flank Barrow was understandably out of the team but the mere suggestion by me that he would be a good impact sub due to his speed was also laughed at.

"If we can't find someone better than Barrow, then we're obviously not looking far, he's criminally overrated and absolutely atrocious 90% of the time. Started 15 games this season and scored 0 goals, with 1 goal off the bench, barely scored any at all in the whole of 2018 yet people treat him like he's untouchable. Baffling"

"I go to watch Reading win preferably in an entertaining way. Not watch Mo produce no goals and do oxf*rd all hard work"

"Would have no problem with him going. We are pretty well stocked in his position and don't think we'd be weaker if he went but no major concern with him staying either."

"I think Barrow is a perfect example of why we're shit. On his day he's electric. But those days are rare. And he's a total liability for the team defensive shape."

"Ability to put decent ball in the box is a far greater weapon than pace out on the wing. Getting to the by line and not being able to put a ball in is quite useless tbh. All Barrow does is give us an out ball option on the counter. I wont be sad if he goes and I dont think we will miss him one bit."

They don't really read to me like people who recognise a players ability. They read to me like people who think a player is worthless and his not being here wouldn't impact the team at all. This was after a lot of the same posters recognised in match threads that he had improved under Gomes, even in his defensive contributions. So he was improving, they remember him scoring 10 goals last season yet thought he wasn't worth keeping around. That's poor judgement imo.

None of them actually say he's shit though. One of them even says "One his day he's electric".

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 19:20

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
leon

None of them actually say he's shit though. One of them even says "One his day he's electric".

Cop on now Ian. This doesnt even require reading in between the lines. One of them says hes atrocious. Atrocious.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Apr 2019 19:25

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Well I'll clarify what I meant because I think a lot of people were saying that Barrow was shite and not just in shite form. I was often choosing Barrow in either my preferred starting 11 or even on the bench and people were saying he wasn't good enough to be involved in the game in any capacity.

Cop on now Ian. This doesnt even require reading in between the lines. One of them says hes atrocious. Atrocious.

I'll give you that one, although the rest of the post is focused on what he was actually delivering.

It's simply a fact that if an attacking player isn't doing his defensive work (he wasn't) and isn't scoring or creating (he wasn't), then he's going to get slated. And him starting to play well doesn't prove anyone who defended him at the time more right. I mean no one is calling him out now are they? Because he's doing his job and delivering.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Apr 2019 19:32

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal None of them actually say he's shit though. One of them even says "One his day he's electric".

I'll give you that one, although the rest of the post is focused on what he was actually delivering.

It's simply a fact that if an attacking player isn't doing his defensive work (he wasn't) and isn't scoring or creating (he wasn't), then he's going to get slated. And him starting to play well doesn't prove anyone who defended him at the time more right. I mean no one is calling him out now are they? Because he's doing his job and delivering.

I do try to make the point that these comments were made after his improvement. He had already shown the signs by deadline day yet people were happy to dispatch of him. I took a lot of the comments from that thread and throughout the season to say that he was simply not good enough for the team rather than being directed at his form.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Apr 2019 19:33

Problem is we could and can not afford people who are not happy and therefore not producing on the pitch

We’re all aware of the finances. The way he was playing I’d have seen him sold and McCleary or Harriott brought in. If he’d continued on his poor form and we got relegated we’d have been lucky to have got our money back on him.

I’m not sure Gomes was 100% on him staying either tbh

Obviously delighted Gomes has got him back to last seasons form when he was excellent. My POTS from last year by a distance