Hob Nob Legend

Re: The League of 4

by Hound » 29 Apr 2019 17:50

Maybe. Almost as overstated as Warne’s self serving descriptions of his side

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Apr 2019 18:12

I would feel a little sorry for Rotherham if we hadn`t been in a dogfight with them over most of the season, decent bunch of fans and a team that punch above their weight in the shadows of Leeds and the Sheffield teams.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Apr 2019 18:51

windermereROYAL I would feel a little sorry for Rotherham if we hadn`t been in a dogfight with them over most of the season, decent bunch of fans and a team that punch above their weight in the shadows of Leeds and the Sheffield teams.

Agree - much rather Millwall had gone down

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 29 Apr 2019 19:15

Agreed, Rotherham look like a great little club with plenty of fight and spirit which sometimes gets you places and sometimes doesn't. Ultimately class will show through, and the 5 loanees shipped in by us has given us that edge and spirit to pull clear at the end.
Good luck to Rotherham next season, i'm sure they will will hovering around the top 6 again. I think they took a 6-1 beating a few weeks back and that really did knock the stuffing out of them mentally.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Apr 2019 09:08

Crowbar6753 Agreed, Rotherham look like a great little club with plenty of fight and spirit which sometimes gets you places and sometimes doesn't. Ultimately class will show through, and the 5 loanees shipped in by us has given us that edge and spirit to pull clear at the end.
Good luck to Rotherham next season, i'm sure they will will hovering around the top 6 again. I think they took a 6-1 beating a few weeks back and that really did knock the stuffing out of them mentally.

Yeah, away to Derby, which coincided with our home win v Preston. That may well have been the definitive turning point.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Apr 2019 09:28

Hendo
Crowbar6753 Agreed, Rotherham look like a great little club with plenty of fight and spirit which sometimes gets you places and sometimes doesn't. Ultimately class will show through, and the 5 loanees shipped in by us has given us that edge and spirit to pull clear at the end.

Yeah, away to Derby, which coincided with our home win v Preston. That may well have been the definitive turning point.

Except they won the next game, whilst we were losing.

It was a combination of the Stoke & Swansea games that did for them. They were far better than Stoke but let in 2 goals from 2 shots - pulled it back but couldn't find the what would have been a deserved winner then followed that up by being 1-0 and 2-1 up at Swansea - they went on to score 3 but still lose.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Apr 2019 09:38

or being 1-0 up at home to a ten man Villa side, and being the better side in the first half before crumbling and losing...

and then being 1-0 up at home to Birmingham side who didn't have a shot on goal in the first half, before themselves not having a shot on goal in the second half and losing....

and then being 1-0 up away at an out of sorts West Brom and being the better side before shipping two late goals and losing....

They've had plenty of opportunities tbh. Even if they'd have beaten Brum I'd think they could have got a win vs Boro and possibly sneaked above Millwall

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 30 Apr 2019 14:32

Stranded
The Prisoner Looking at the trends of form over the last 10 games Ipswich are averaging 0.5 points per game, then Rotherham on 0.6, Bolton 0.8, Wigan 0.9, us 1 point per game and then Millwall 1.2. These figures are unlikely to fluctuate considerably between now and the end of the season.

Transposing those form returns to the remaining games is a good a place to start as any. That would leave the table as follows:

Millwall 49 points
Wigan 47
Reading 45
-----------------------------
Bolton 37
Rotherham 36
Ipswich 26

Interesting post - I tend to look at games this year as given our change of manager and style, that gives a better picture of what teams are doing now - a slightly smaller sample so more open to error but extrapolating 2019 form - you get a final table that looks like:

Wigan 50
Reading 47
Millwall 46
----------------
Rotherham 40
Bolton 34
Ipswich 27

Take an average of these two positions and it's almost spot on. Stranded slightly more so than mine. What it does go to prove beyond doubt is that struggling teams seldom get any serious momentum once they are in trouble.

On that basis, and given that we were 23rd on New Years Day and two points from safety we have done well to be where we are.

Clement's form this season was 0.9 points per game (18 in 20 games) which would have seen us finish with 41 points this season (Rotherham 40 with one game left) whilst Gomes is averaging 1.23 points per game since being appointed on the 22nd December, which is equivalent to a 56 point season - think Brentford/Stoke in terms of finishing position.

You could argue that Gomes' average points per game would have been a little higher had he not had to bed in, and this is true to a certain extent in that his last 15 games in charge have yielded 1.4, which puts us on a Nottingham Forest/Sheff Wed finish of 64 points just outside the play offs.

So looking at Gomes' last 15 games he is getting 55% more points than Clements was in the 20 before he got sacked.

----

Also have to add that on the second half of the season alone QPR have taken just 0.5 points per game and would be joining Ipswich and Bolton in old money Division 3....

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 May 2019 17:46

The Prisoner
So looking at Gomes' last 15 games he is getting 55% more points than Clements was in the 20 before he got sacked.

With a very different match day squad. Fate was with us this season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 May 2019 18:11

Mid Sussex Royal
windermereROYAL I would feel a little sorry for Rotherham if we hadn`t been in a dogfight with them over most of the season, decent bunch of fans and a team that punch above their weight in the shadows of Leeds and the Sheffield teams.

Agree - much rather Millwall had gone down

Me too.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 May 2019 18:16

When you look at Gomes record with us it looks poor with 6 W 9D 8L to date. Yet the vast majority of us would say he is doing a cracking job and turning things around. It’s all about context. He has energised a squad and fan base which was on the floor.

It’s easy to draw conclusions based on the bare facts but there is always a context to consider. In this case an incredibly modest set of results represents a significant improvement on what had come before.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 May 2019 18:36

Zip When you look at Gomes record with us it looks poor with 6 W 9D 8L to date. Yet the vast majority of us would say he is doing a cracking job and turning things around. It’s all about context. He has energised a squad and fan base which was on the floor.

It’s easy to draw conclusions based on the bare facts but there is always a context to consider. In this case an incredibly modest set of results represents a significant improvement on what had come before.

6W 9D 8L ???

Are you including Man Utd away?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 May 2019 18:50

Snowball
Zip When you look at Gomes record with us it looks poor with 6 W 9D 8L to date. Yet the vast majority of us would say he is doing a cracking job and turning things around. It’s all about context. He has energised a squad and fan base which was on the floor.

6W 9D 8L ???

It’s a stat I read this morning and on checking it does include the Man Utd result. In the League it’s 6 W 9 D 7 L.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 May 2019 19:25

Zip
Snowball

6W 9D 8L ???

It’s a stat I read this morning and on checking it does include the Man Utd result. In the League it’s 6 W 9 D 7 L.

So league is W6 D9 L7

and if we win Sunday 7-9-7 = a 60 Point Season

Incredible when we were dead and buried

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2019 19:34

I mean, we certainly weren't dead and buried. In trouble for sure.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 May 2019 19:47

Snowflake Royal I mean, we certainly weren't dead and buried. In trouble for sure.

Ian you were resigned to us going down and said we should just stick with Clement as no one was going to turn it around.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2019 19:51

Zip
Snowflake Royal I mean, we certainly weren't dead and buried. In trouble for sure.

Ian you were resigned to us going down and said we should just stick with Clement as no one was going to turn it around.

I did, but I certainly wouldn't have described us as dead and buried. And I didn't expect the level of loanees we got to come in either.

I believe I had us as going down by a small margin.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 May 2019 20:56

Snowflake Royal
Zip

I did, but I certainly wouldn't have described us as dead and buried. And I didn't expect the level of loanees we got to come in either.

I believe I had us as going down by a small margin.

And it was going to be the best thing for us.

#rfcexit

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 May 2019 21:27

Snowball

Without Olly and Meite? I doubt it.

We've suffered few injuries in recent weeks.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 May 2019 21:41

Lower West
Snowball

Without Olly and Meite? I doubt it.

We've suffered few injuries in recent weeks.

You either missed a letter or missed a few games....

540 posts