BFT(final)G

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFT(final)G

by Hound » 06 May 2019 09:14

Stranded
Chameleon
morganb One of the young lads in the queue out of the blue asked Rinomhota if he was leaving and his reply seemed totally genuine when he said no.

If we're flogging off players like Rinomhota then that's raising a white flag. Low wage, high potential, and the right attitude to become a club legend.

Sadly we have no idea how close or otherwise we are to breaching FFP. The club are clearly seriously worried that we are close to it or even on course to break it - this summer will include 1 or 2 players going who we as fans don't want to. If we get a decent bid for Rinomhota or any player, we are very likely to take it. Whilst we would like to think there are a few players that have been ringfenced, nobody is off limits for sale this year.

I think we have a fair idea. Likelihood is that we need to make a profit or close to this season

To do that we need to shift a shed load of deadwood, and yes potentially sell one or two good players as well

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 06 May 2019 09:23

Id let Swift go for a decent price. He isnt consistent enough, and sadly very injury prone.

If we were able to retain Baker he would be a more than adequate replacement.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 06 May 2019 11:02

Zip
Jagermesiter1871
Zip
I can’t recall him pushing forward in the way that Gunter was. Didn’t catch my eye

Absolutely bonkers. Everyone around me was commenting on how he seemed to be in the penalty box all the time, oddly so. I can remember him at least twice being 1 on 1 with the keeper. Genuinely was noticeably attacking today, probably too much so as he seemed to be occupying space our strikers should have been in. :shock:

:lol: I genuinely cannot remember him pushing forward like this. I haven’t been drinking either.

Too busy creaming yourself over our right back who had so much room to make unchallenged crosses that my mum could have made. :wink:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 06 May 2019 11:04

Scutterbucketz Nice that the ref allowed that shit to happen in a competitive game.

It wasn't a competitive game, it was like a pre-season friendly.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 May 2019 11:18

Victor Meldrew
Zip
Jagermesiter1871
Absolutely bonkers. Everyone around me was commenting on how he seemed to be in the penalty box all the time, oddly so. I can remember him at least twice being 1 on 1 with the keeper. Genuinely was noticeably attacking today, probably too much so as he seemed to be occupying space our strikers should have been in. :shock:

:lol: I genuinely cannot remember him pushing forward like this. I haven’t been drinking either.

Too busy creaming yourself over our right back who had so much room to make unchallenged crosses that my mum could have made. :wink:

Listen young Vic I gather your mother is still lightning quick unlike her decrepit son.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 06 May 2019 11:20

Stranded
Chameleon
morganb One of the young lads in the queue out of the blue asked Rinomhota if he was leaving and his reply seemed totally genuine when he said no.

If we're flogging off players like Rinomhota then that's raising a white flag. Low wage, high potential, and the right attitude to become a club legend.

Sadly we have no idea how close or otherwise we are to breaching FFP. The club are clearly seriously worried that we are close to it or even on course to break it - this summer will include 1 or 2 players going who we as fans don't want to. If we get a decent bid for Rinomhota or any player, we are very likely to take it. Whilst we would like to think there are a few players that have been ringfenced, nobody is off limits for sale this year.

Gomes I felt was quite downbeat after the game or perhaps realistic.
He made a big point of wanting a big clear-out but he also said that he wanted to bring in 6 or 7 and for , as far as possible, deals to be done by the end of May.

It was clear as well that if the right offers were made for any of our players the club would have to sell.
The more you hear about the finances and FFP compliance, the more it makes you (me) wonder what the real money situation is.

Massive credit to whoever (Mr Dolan?) saw that Gomes could do what he has done and the same to whoever knew that these excellent loan players were as good as they have been and were available.

I have never known a season when we have finished so low in the table (and there have been a lot of them) and the fans feeling good about the team.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 06 May 2019 11:24

Zip
Victor Meldrew
Zip

Listen young Vic I gather your mother is still lightning quick unlike her decrepit son.

I feel a challenge coming on but only when my hamstring is in top order, the back doesn't ache and I am migraine-free (so about one day per year).
BTW, Newport might be looking for a right-back if they make it through the play-offs.
Staying with the Welsh I am a bit pissed off with Wrexham-I backed them each-way and of course they came 4th.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 May 2019 11:28

Victor Meldrew
Zip
Victor Meldrew

I feel a challenge coming on but only when my hamstring is in top order, the back doesn't ache and I am migraine-free (so about one day per year).
BTW, Newport might be looking for a right-back if they make it through the play-offs.
Staying with the Welsh I am a bit pissed off with Wrexham-I backed them each-way and of course they came 4th.

I'm a happy camper.

Newport is my home-town club. Great Cup run and to make the POs last game of the season was brilliant.

A season ago they were a few minutes from going out of the league

Stick this with Reading (IMO "doing well") and I could hardly ask for more
except a free season-ticket and Shane Long coming back

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 May 2019 11:31

Victor Meldrew
Zip
Victor Meldrew

Yeah I was pissed off with Wrexham but not surprised. They have become serial bottlers in the play offs. Reminds me of another team. :evil:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 May 2019 11:32

Jokes apart I think a Shane Long TYPE, power, speed, aggression is what we need,
more so than a hold-up player.

If we had that kind (like we unsuccessfully tried to use Barrow yesterday)
we would force sides deeper and relieve our midfield/defence a bit.

And, no, I don't think Shane would come back, so NOT advocating it.

We need a bully

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 May 2019 11:34

Snowball
Victor Meldrew
Zip

I'm a happy camper.

Newport is my home-town club. Great Cup run and to make the POs last game of the season was brilliant.

Mike Flynn has done an extra-ordinary job. I think they were 11 points from safety deep into the second half of the season and heading back to non League football. He had no right to keep them up. Then add in the two seasons of great FA Cup runs and now the surge to the play offs.
I fancy them to win the play offs because they have the mentality to do it.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 May 2019 11:36

Snowball Jokes apart I think a Shane Long TYPE, power, speed, aggression is what we need,

We need a bully

Yep. We were lightweight upfront yesterday but Meite is very much in the category you were alluding to. A number of players came off the worst in physical battles with him.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 06 May 2019 11:41

Dont know how much Brum were on the "beach", but I thought we played really well, and controlled the game. When I saw the team sheet and the front three, I thought we would struggle to score. In fact the young lads up front missed , something like seven or eight chances; hopefully Oli or Meite would have taken at least one of those.Brum had three good chances and spurned all of them-but thats the Championship; top strikers in this league are really thin on the ground.

IMHO:

Martinez 7: Two regulation saves, but some good control and selection when transferring the possession.

Yiadom 7: Typical Yids game; very commited and physical had a couple of tame efforts on goal, and one awful howler giving away possession in a dangerous position.

Gunter 6: Typical Gunts performance; the ball to him was on all game and he put in some excellent crosses, which the kids up front generally didn't read. Some dross in there as well though.

Miazga 7: Didn't put a foot wrong all game. His passing is his weakness.

Moore 7: One mistake, but the last couple of months, has been back to his best

Baker 8 MOM: Imperious, we have to move heaven and earth to somehow keep him.

Rino 7 : Very good again, my POS.His physicality and ability to drive possession forward are a real asset.

Ejaria 6: Sadly I believe he would be a luxury for us to keep next season. He is a brilliant player at controlling possession and so often ghosted away from his markers. Brum targeted him though, and Stroud gave him zero protection, and in the end hed had enough.

Loader 7: Played a false nine, which meant he wasn't goal hanging, when he should have been. But apart from two missed opportunities he did little wrong.

Olise 7 : Very, very promising. We may have found something with him. Whats his usual position ? Missed at least two chances though. At half time , I had him down as our best player; but he faded badly 2nd half. He just needs a Summer to improve his conditioning & he will be really useful next season.

Barret 4 : Not sure about him. Presumably payed out of position ? He had a very poor 1st half, but improved 2nd half. Missed four chances & is a bit greedy. Unlike however Olise he was physically up for the challenge-but there again he is a lot older.

Howe: Good cross, and is fast-looks promising.

Barrow : Really couldn't be bothered, could he.

Finally the Ref. Is this our worst season for Officials ? I have missed two home games this season; yet apart from Friend (who is a Prem Ref) and a couple who were at best average-this season we have had a succession of absolute plonkers. Where do the League get them from ? Something is wrong here with the whole system of appointing Refs. What must Div 1 and 2 be like ? I rate Friend and Oliver , but no English Ref made the World Cup finals last year and that is just shameful. Yesterday the Officiating by the assistants was very inconsistent. The West stand Lino gave a few decisions to help the Ref; but the East stand Ref didn't. The pull back on Loader ? , second half was blatant and he must have seen it, but did nothing. Was he instructed not to give anything other than Offside and throws ?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 May 2019 11:52

Westwood52 Dont know how much Brum were on the "beach", but I thought we played really well, and controlled the game. When I saw the team sheet and the front three, I thought we would struggle to score. In fact the young lads up front missed , something like seven or eight chances; hopefully Oli or Meite would have taken at least one of those.Brum had three good chances and spurned all of them-but thats the Championship; top strikers in this league are really thin on the ground.

IMHO:

Martinez 7: Two regulation saves, but some good control and selection when transferring the possession.

Yiadom 7: Typical Yids game; very commited and physical had a couple of tame efforts on goal, and one awful howler giving away possession in a dangerous position.

Gunter 6: Typical Gunts performance; the ball to him was on all game and he put in some excellent crosses, which the kids up front generally didn't read. Some dross in there as well though.

Rino 7 : Very good again, my POS.His physicality and ability to drive possession forward are a real asset.

Ejaria 6: Sadly I believe he would be a luxury for us to keep next season. He is a brilliant player at controlling possession and so often ghosted away from his markers. Brum targeted him though, and Stroud gave him zero protection, and in the end hed had enough.

Loader 7: Played a false nine, which meant he wasn't goal hanging, when he should have been. But apart from two missed opportunities he did little wrong.

Olise 7 : Very, very promising. We may have found something with him. Whats his usual position ? Missed at least two chances though. At half time , I had him down as our best player; but he faded badly 2nd half. He just needs a Summer to improve his conditioning & he will be really useful next season.

Barret 4 : Not sure about him. Presumably payed out of position ? He had a very poor 1st half, but improved 2nd half. Missed four chances & is a bit greedy. Unlike however Olise he was physically up for the challenge-but there again he is a lot older.

Finally the Ref. Is this our worst season for Officials ? I have missed two home games this season; yet apart from Friend (who is a Prem Ref) and a couple who were at best average-this season we have had a succession of absolute plonkers. Where do the League get them from ? Something is wrong here with the whole system of appointing Refs. What must Div 1 and 2 be like ? I rate Friend and Oliver , but no English Ref made the World Cup finals last year and that is just shameful. Yesterday the Officiating by the assistants was very inconsistent. The West stand Lino gave a few decisions to help the Ref; but the East stand Ref didn't. The pull back on Loader ? , second half was blatant and he must have seen it, but did nothing. Was he instructed not to give anything other than Offside and throws ?

The refereeing has been poor but then again who would want their job when there is so much cheating in the game.
Re Barrett. He worked his socks off and his closing down led to some hurried clearances one of which led to a chance for Loader. I liked his attitude.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 May 2019 11:55

Zip
Snowball Jokes apart I think a Shane Long TYPE, power, speed, aggression is what we need,

We need a bully

Yep. We were lightweight upfront yesterday but Meite is very much in the category you were alluding to. A number of players came off the worst in physical battles with him.

Yeah I guess so, but while I like Meite, he feels very hit and miss
(possibly being unfair). In the days of Long and Hunt we more or less
KNEW the defences would be run ragged.

I remember a spell of (I think) of about 15 games where either
one of Long-Hunt or both of them scored.

I remember some Premiership CB praising them because they
almost wore them down (Everton?)

Things is, the grinders wear down the opposite back four so in the last 15/20
the fairy feet can do more damage

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 May 2019 11:56

Zip
Westwood52 Dont know how much Brum were on the "beach", but I thought we played really well, and controlled the game. When I saw the team sheet and the front three, I thought we would struggle to score. In fact the young lads up front missed , something like seven or eight chances; hopefully Oli or Meite would have taken at least one of those.Brum had three good chances and spurned all of them-but thats the Championship; top strikers in this league are really thin on the ground.

IMHO:

The refereeing has been poor but then again who would want their job when there is so much cheating in the game.
Re Barrett. He worked his socks off and his closing down led to some hurried clearances one of which led to a chance for Loader. I liked his attitude.

I liked his attitude and all of the graduates did well, but Barret is clearly stealing pork pies
and if he wants to WIN, compete with athletes, he needs discipline and not Mars bars

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 May 2019 11:57

Zip
Snowball
Victor Meldrew

I'm a happy camper.

Mike Flynn has done an extra-ordinary job. I think they were 11 points from safety deep into the second half of the season and heading back to non League football. He had no right to keep them up. Then add in the two seasons of great FA Cup runs and now the surge to the play offs.

I will be ecstatic if they get to Wembley AGAIN, that'd be three times in just a few years

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 06 May 2019 12:04

Snowball
Zip
Snowball

I'm a happy camper.

I will be ecstatic if they get to Wembley AGAIN, that'd be three times in just a few years

They are the outsiders in the betting but judged on those FA Cup games I think they are a team for the big occasion.
BTW, I remember standing on the terraces at Newport (is there a river nearby?) made up of railway sleepers, in the 60s.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 May 2019 12:33

Zip Re Barrett. He worked his socks off and his closing down led to some hurried clearances one of which led to a chance for Loader. I liked his attitude.

I liked parts of his attitude but he also looked readily pissed off and quick to blame others at times. Not a major issue at this stage but something to be worked on over the summer.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 May 2019 12:48

Victor Meldrew
Stranded
Chameleon

Gomes I felt was quite downbeat after the game or perhaps realistic.
He made a big point of wanting a big clear-out but he also said that he wanted to bring in 6 or 7 and for , as far as possible, deals to be done by the end of May.

It was clear as well that if the right offers were made for any of our players the club would have to sell.
The more you hear about the finances and FFP compliance, the more it makes you (me) wonder what the real money situation is.

Massive credit to whoever (Mr Dolan?) saw that Gomes could do what he has done and the same to whoever knew that these excellent loan players were as good as they have been and were available.

I have never known a season when we have finished so low in the table (and there have been a lot of them) and the fans feeling good about the team.

He did seem downbeat but is now embarking on the unenviable task of telling a number of senior players they are no longer wanted at the club. Someone like Jon Dadi who is a whole-hearted and thoroughly decent man is probably heading for the exit. It won’t be pleasant telling someone like that his future lies elsewhere.

Sadly despite all the outgoings in January that was only the first part of the clear-out. What a mess we were in. The Gourlay era was disastrous and we are now paying for it. Someone like Lewis Baker would be an ideal signing and I reckon he would come here but we won’t be able to afford him. It’s incredibly frustrating.