The way things are/were done

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The way things are/were done

by Nameless » 08 Jun 2019 08:12

URZZZZ
Nameless
URZZZZ
Nonsense. He justified his time here by putting in many a good performance in his first season. Yep, second season was found out, but who wasn't? Unfortunately as he was Dutch, it meant you're twice as likely to be criticised.

Good of you to preface your comments by warning us of the standard of analysis.
Dumb comment about the Dutch lads getting extra stick, simply untrue.
Taken overall Joey didn’t have a great time with us and he should shoulder his share of the blame. Interesting to compare his comments with Myler’s, much more respect for Myler putting his hands up and accepting criticism.

Would say Joey was a solid 6 out of 10 in his time here (7 first season, 5 second). Added to the fact he was also on a free, I think your comments are harsh. Anyway...

It isn't a dumb comment to suggest they got extra stick. Dutch Manager meant people thought the Dutch Players were favourites so took it out on them

Sheffield United at home last season. We lost 3-1, possibly the worst home performance in years. Everyone played awfully, yet who was singled out? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=142124&p=4592973&hilit=van+den+red+card#p4592973. Even on that thread, you had people saying he only played because he was Dutch? Did Pelle Clement get the same treatment :|

As for the people that called him Van Den Red Card, seriously :?: He got sent off once. Appreciate a few of you did actually mention that but still...

How many times did we cheer Van Den Berg or Beerens on? Petty but we had a song for Mendes (2 league starts) but nothing for those two. Ha, remember fans booing Beerens on a few times :lol: Very few others got that treatment. Cardiff away, back end of last season, just kept a clean sheet against 2nd in the league. What's the first thing people did? Moan about Joey and say that we HAVE to get rid of him

Zip, nope you're wrong IMO. Was Van Den Berg worse than Evans or Ilori? Were those two ever ever booed of the pitch? Was Beerens worse than McCleary (the same Garath with 1 goal in 30 months). Nope, but was McCleary ever booed off the pitch?

Say what you want but nothing will change my mind that those two were victimised due to nationality. I do talk nonsense sometimes but there's so many little things that suggest I have a point...

And as for comparing Meyler with him, I'm not even going to go there

If nothing will change your mind there’s little point discussing it !
To be honest I’m not convinced many of those incidents even happened except perhaps on a tiny, individual level. Booing players on ? I can recall the odd time when substitutions got a rough reception but I don’t think anyone thought ‘he’s bringing a Dutchman on - I hate Dutchmen’.
If people thought Stam had favourites then that is different to people disliking players just because they were Dutch !

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Jun 2019 11:52

CBA to read through that awful Sheff Utd report, but do remember one poster (strap?) having a bit of an anti-Dutch campaign - inc the Dutch football is dead cliche - which looks ridiculous now - but pretty much no one else

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jun 2019 12:09

In all fairness this site is relatively neutral and fair minded aside from a few. But the people around me at the stadium/people on social media/people on the radio seemed to single out the same few every time. It’s like a weird obsession people have to pick on individuals, Swift seems to taken over the “lightweight, useless” scapegoat (which was Beerens title), I just wonder who will take over Gunter when he leaves

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 08 Jun 2019 13:23

URZZZZ In all fairness this site is relatively neutral and fair minded aside from a few. But the people around me at the stadium/people on social media/people on the radio seemed to single out the same few every time. It’s like a weird obsession people have to pick on individuals, Swift seems to taken over the “lightweight, useless” scapegoat (which was Beerens title), I just wonder who will take over Gunter when he leaves

I’m lucky that where I sit people have weird views but don’t tend to slate players so we probably get completely different perceptions of these things. I also would rather listen to static than Radio Berks !

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 08 Jun 2019 14:21

URZZZZ Nonsense. He justified his time here by putting in many a good performance in his first season. Yep, second season was found out, but who wasn't? Unfortunately as he was Dutch, it meant you're twice as likely to be criticised.

Would say Joey was a solid 6 out of 10 in his time here (7 first season, 5 second). Added to the fact he was also on a free, I think your comments are harsh. Anyway...

It isn't a dumb comment to suggest they got extra stick. Dutch Manager meant people thought the Dutch Players were favourites so took it out on them

Sheffield United at home last season. We lost 3-1, possibly the worst home performance in years. Everyone played awfully, yet who was singled out? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=142124&p=4592973&hilit=van+den+red+card#p4592973. Even on that thread, you had people saying he only played because he was Dutch? Did Pelle Clement get the same treatment :|

As for the people that called him Van Den Red Card, seriously :?: He got sent off once. Appreciate a few of you did actually mention that but still...

How many times did we cheer Van Den Berg or Beerens on? Petty but we had a song for Mendes (2 league starts) but nothing for those two. Ha, remember fans booing Beerens on a few times :lol: Very few others got that treatment. Cardiff away, back end of last season, just kept a clean sheet against 2nd in the league. What's the first thing people did? Moan about Joey and say that we HAVE to get rid of him

Zip, nope you're wrong IMO. Was Van Den Berg worse than Evans or Ilori? Were those two ever ever booed of the pitch? Was Beerens worse than McCleary (the same Garath with 1 goal in 30 months). Nope, but was McCleary ever booed off the pitch?

And as for comparing Meyler with him, I'm not even going to go there

Those two were victimised due to nationality. There's so many little things that suggest I have a point.

Say what you want but nothing will change my mind.

Heh, so an internet discussion board really isn't the place for you then? :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jun 2019 07:23

Hound CBA to read through that awful Sheff Utd report, but do remember one poster (strap?) having a bit of an anti-Dutch campaign - inc the Dutch football is dead cliche - which looks ridiculous now - but pretty much no one else

I recall it being a bit of a theme amongst the occasionally hard of thinking.

Like Urzzz I recall the Dutch players getting particular stick. I also remember Joey being unfairly singled out for criticism. Same for Beerens.

I reckon Nameless has a point about the recent comments, but Urzzz is bang on that Joey was decent in his time here, but fell away in his second season, as did the whole team.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 09 Jun 2019 12:32

No Joey looked clumsy, clueless and crap. And it had nothing to do with him being Dutch. He was mediocre in his first season and atrocious in his last. Even his first season he generally looked fairly technically inept but made up for it with hard work and grit.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 09 Jun 2019 14:21

URZZZZ Unfortunately as he was Dutch, it meant you're twice as likely to be criticised.

Snowflake Royal I recall it being a bit of a theme amongst the occasionally hard of thinking.
Like Urzzz I recall the Dutch players getting particular stick. I also remember Joey being unfairly singled out for criticism. Same for Beerens.

Urzzz, Ian, props for having the nads (and the memory) to raise an awareness/concede a point. To avoid doing so, some won't even read evidence that's been retrieved and presented. (At best, you might get a 'fair enough').
That's my recollection too (and if I didn't recall, reckon I might go look it up). Joey was criticized sometimes on a daily/weekly basis, and at times it was cited with reference to his nationality.
Anyway, well done, both of you.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 09 Jun 2019 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jun 2019 14:29

Denver Royal
URZZZZ Unfortunately as he was Dutch, it meant you're twice as likely to be criticised.

Snowflake Royal I recall it being a bit of a theme amongst the occasionally hard of thinking.

Urzzz, Ian, props for having the nads (and the memory) to raise an awareness/concede a point. To avoid doing so, some won't even read evidence that's been retrieved and presented. (At best, you might get a 'fair enough').
That's my recollection too (and if I didn't recall, reckon I might go look it up). Some criticism of Joey was cited with reference to his nationality.

Is this the beginning of a beautiful friendship? :wink:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 09 Jun 2019 14:44

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal

That's my recollection too (and if I didn't recall, reckon I might go look it up). Some criticism of Joey was cited with reference to his nationality.

Ha, we've been in here a long time. I'll give props and agree or disagree with anyone. You know that.
What you won't see from me (I hope) is me buddying up with someone and pretty much agreeing with them all day every day. Thankfully most don't do that, because if they did you wouldn't have a discussion forum.
You know me. I'll agree with you and will say so, which I've done many times over the years.
We haven't always agreed, of course. If I disagree, I'll say so too, hopefully in a reasoned way.
In a discussion forum that's the way it should be (and used to be). That's the 'beauty' of it. :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jun 2019 19:27

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal

Ha, we've been in here a long time. I'll give props and agree or disagree with anyone. You know that.
What you won't see from me (I hope) is me buddying up with someone and pretty much agreeing with them all day every day. Thankfully most don't do that, because if they did you wouldn't have a discussion forum.
You know me. I'll agree with you and will say so, which I've done many times over the years.
We haven't always agreed, of course. If I disagree, I'll say so too, hopefully in a reasoned way.
In a discussion forum that's the way it should be (and used to be). That's the 'beauty' of it. :wink:

Aye. Hell, I agree with snowball sometimes. I do love a swear though.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Jun 2019 01:13

Denver Royal

That's my recollection too (and if I didn't recall, reckon I might go look it up). Joey was criticized sometimes on a daily/weekly basis, and at times it was cited with reference to his nationality.

I think as Nameless said - people will get different feedbacks to games, e.g. where you sit which plays a part
But I think there's still enough evidence on this forum alone. Take the Wolves (H) game last season where we played really well and should have won. Forum was 3/4 pages long, and nearly every single post piled on Beerens who'd actually had one of his better game that season. Really strange

I could say I often scapegoat Gunter and McCleary often, one reason is that they've been here so long that I almost lay the blame on them because the problems seem to start when they arrived (irrespective of how much they actually "caused the problems"). Stupid reasoning but everyone acts in their own strange way with their own strange reasons. Just a shame most people can't admit it and are too stubborn in their own ways

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jun 2019 07:11

Yes I think that’s fair. I’ll admit Kelly winds me up more than he should for example

Bar a few posters I do think on here it’s generally little to do with nationality though tbh. Bereens and Joey were obv very much part of the Stam brand and when Stam went to shit, they were obvious scapegoats (Joey esp was very popular in year 1 - almost cult hero status).

None of the second season signings have been particularly popular. Even Barrow, who has been an undoubted success gets a fair bit of stick

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jun 2019 07:18

Yep. We've all got players / playing styles we prefer or dislike.

Swift's mine. Fancy pants Charlatan that he is. And Gunter.... timid, negative nancy.

I love a busy watercarrier.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Jun 2019 08:47

Double dutch?