Explain like I'm five: our FFP crisis

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Explain like I'm five: our FFP crisis

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2019 17:38

Denver Royal
Elm Park Kid If the only way Reading can become a PL club is by our owners spending more than our opposition then I for one wouldn't want it to happen. It makes football ultimately just a bit meaningless.

Do you suppose Citeh fans think their PL titles are meaningless? How long had it been since they won one?
What about Chelski fans? They had had some lean years too.
I'm just asking, do fans of both those clubs wish their club hadn't gone down the path they did?
(Bearing in mind, those fans had little or no say in it anyway).

In Chelsea's case they're all scum like Pompey, so I doubt they'd give two shits.

City still had to work for it IMO. They spent a lot without success to start with, and they're historically a bigger fish than Chelsea too.

I suspect you'll find a few who wish they could have done it without 'buying' titles.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 24 Jun 2019 18:16

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal
Elm Park Kid If the only way Reading can become a PL club is by our owners spending more than our opposition then I for one wouldn't want it to happen. It makes football ultimately just a bit meaningless.

Do you suppose Citeh fans think their PL titles are meaningless? How long had it been since they won one?
I'm just asking, do fans of both those clubs wish their club hadn't gone down the path they did?

In Chelsea's case they're all scum like Pompey, so I doubt they'd give two shits.

City still had to work for it IMO. They spent a lot without success to start with, and they're historically a bigger fish than Chelsea too.

I suspect you'll find a few who wish they could have done it without 'buying' titles.

I know that many fans will take the success regardless of how they got there - but personally i'm not one.

I have Chelsea fans in my family that have been going to matches since the 70s but now don't go because they think the club has 'lost' something since Abramovich took over.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 24 Jun 2019 19:47

Elm Park Kid
Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal Do you suppose Citeh fans think their PL titles are meaningless? How long had it been since they won one?

I know that many fans will take the success regardless of how they got there - but personally i'm not one.

I have Chelsea fans in my family that have been going to matches since the 70s but now don't go because they think the club has 'lost' something since Abramovich took over.

Yep, good thoughts.
In a sense I’d like to take the moral high(er) ground in that eventuality too.
But tbh, suspect I’d go with the flow, still go to games, etc.
As I say, call it supporting the shirt or whatever, but what happens off the park will happen. May not like or agree with it, but have little or no control of it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2019 20:31

Denver Royal
Elm Park Kid
Snowflake Royal In Chelsea's case they're all scum like Pompey, so I doubt they'd give two shits.

Yep, good thoughts.
In a sense I’d like to take the moral high(er) ground in that eventuality too.
But tbh, suspect I’d go with the flow, still go to games, etc.
As I say, call it supporting the shirt or whatever, but what happens off the park will happen. May not like or agree with it, but have little or no control of it.

About as much as on it.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 25 Jun 2019 12:14

Elm Park Kid

Me neither - makes a complete mockery of football being a genuine competition. But on a wider scale, every time a teams does a Chelsea, City or Wolves, it puts clubs lower down the order in greater jeopardy. And that's not a good thing. Even worse, the Man City's of this world (and their fans) couldn't give a shit.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 26 Jun 2019 13:48

2 world wars, 1 world cup For a club like us that hasn't really spent much,
I think the club have spent alot without shouting about it, mostly because the players/other things they've spent it on are nothing worth shouting about/waste of money.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 26 Jun 2019 14:21

We were well known high spenders under Madejski when we were still in the 3rd tier.

Butler and Cureton with Caskey and Chadwick wasn't cheap. I think Sidwell came late to that party as well.

I swear players like Sidwell don't come along anymore, they're on loan forever rather than actually sold. Although i suppose Swift is a Sidwell type scenario, just hasnt worked out as well.

Wallsy

by Wallsy » 26 Jun 2019 23:20

New record shirt sponsor deal was set to be announced for Friday, but as it’s broken tonight it may be rushed to tomorrow (Thursday). By all accounts it’s a big deal, not just a little better than the previous, but it’s smashed it out of the ball park! I only heard about this on Sunday when asking about a stadium sponsorship deal. Nothing fed back yet on that one.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jun 2019 07:14

Courtney has leaked that it’s Casumo - online betting company

No surprise there really, but needs must

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jun 2019 07:56

Yep not a massive fan of being sponsored by an online betting company but I guess that is where the money is at the moment given it is such a crowded market.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 27 Jun 2019 08:59

Is there anything in FFP that prevents a club from having a gofundme type page that collects no strings attached donations towards it's running costs? - Would that not count as a revenue stream?

I can understand the idea of wanting clubs to stand on their own two feet and not rely on loans injections from 3rd parties to survive, but as long as it's transparent and the business model works even taking into account relegation then I don't see what the problem is.
A 3rd party donates £8m, the club invest that in £5m of players on 3 year contracts with salaries of £1m a year. That's £8m of committed costs offset by £8m of cash received.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jun 2019 10:30

So I can only assume that if this is announced today/tomorrow that this will bring down this years losses giving us more wiggle room in the next FFP period.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 27 Jun 2019 14:07

Stranded So I can only assume that if this is announced today/tomorrow that this will bring down this years losses giving us more wiggle room in the next FFP period.

I also wonder if any consideration on any new sponsor / sposnsorship deal considered how that payment is made - i.e 100% up front?

Like you say - it can only help FFP - and if we get it all upfront - serioulsy mitigate us around FFP

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 28 Jun 2019 11:28

It seems that we've ignored the £13m acceptable losses a season and just treated it as a 3 yr rolling £39m. Are there any penalties for our £15m and £20m losses? ie we've already breached FFP twice.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Jun 2019 11:57

PieEater It seems that we've ignored the £13m acceptable losses a season and just treated it as a 3 yr rolling £39m. Are there any penalties for our £15m and £20m losses? ie we've already breached FFP twice.

That isn’t the rule.
The restriction is an AVERAGE £13 million per season over a rolling 3 season period.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jun 2019 12:01

Nameless
PieEater It seems that we've ignored the £13m acceptable losses a season and just treated it as a 3 yr rolling £39m. Are there any penalties for our £15m and £20m losses? ie we've already breached FFP twice.

That isn’t the rule.
The restriction is an AVERAGE £13 million per season over a rolling 3 season period.

This.

The rule changed last year I think from FFP being reviewed annually for one year only to being a 3 year rolling loss calculation. This was to bring the EFL rules in line with the UEFA rule the PL follow.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 28 Jun 2019 12:03

I was going from the TTE's description of it

The Tilehurst End The UEFA fair play rules are over 90 pages, but the key points to be aware of are:

- The maximum loss limit is now £13m per Championship season (or £5m a season if the owner does not inject equity to cover losses).
- Losses are assessed over three seasons (rather than just over the single previous season).
- The assessment of each club’s finances is a combination of a historic assessment (looking at figures for the two previous completed season) and an assessment of the current season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jun 2019 13:12

PieEater I was going from the TTE's description of it

The Tilehurst End The UEFA fair play rules are over 90 pages, but the key points to be aware of are:

- The maximum loss limit is now an average £13m per Championship season (or £5m a season if the owner does not inject equity to cover losses).
- Losses are assessed over three seasons (rather than just over the single previous season).
- The assessment of each club’s finances is a combination of a historic assessment (looking at figures for the two previous completed season) and an assessment of the current season.

Yeah they missed out the key words in bold.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 28 Jun 2019 14:03

Elm Park Kid I know that many fans will take the success regardless of how they got there - but personally i'm not one.

Greatwesternline We were well known high spenders under Madejski when we were still in the 3rd tier.

Yep, and fans of other clubs didn't like it, and don't think we lost many fans as a result, prolly the opposite.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Jun 2019 14:56

Clubs have always spent money to get better players and usually the teams that do well have spent money to do so. It’s not the only way but it’s hardly news that if you pay some money you can increase the chances of being successful. I think it’s a pointless thing to moan about, every club would buy better players if they could, I doubt there is a club that has set on a large sum of cash and actively chosen not to invest it in players or some other way of increasing their chances of success. it is almost entirely a jealousy thing.