Rumour Meite back to France?

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour Meite back to France?

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 11 Jul 2019 15:11

Stranded Sampdoria apparently interested - understood we would accept €8m for him.

Daddies? HP? Heinz?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2019 15:19

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 11 Jul 2019 15:52

Hound http://sportwitness.co.uk/great-second-half-season-reading-player-valued-serie-club-potential-reinforcement/

Do we see this as reliable or more agent talk?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2019 15:55

dunno tbh. Don't think he would be personally pushing for a move, but if a club like Sampdoria comes in, it changes things really

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 11 Jul 2019 16:01

Hound dunno tbh. Don't think he would be personally pushing for a move, but if a club like Sampdoria comes in, it changes things really

Yep. And if the rumoured 8m Euros is correct then our money issues would be considerably eased.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Jul 2019 16:12

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hound http://sportwitness.co.uk/great-second-half-season-reading-player-valued-serie-club-potential-reinforcement/

Do we see this as reliable or more agent talk?

He got a new contract recently so doubt there would be much call for him to get a new one. Probably genuine interest.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 11 Jul 2019 17:15

I like Meite but the club should absolutely take 8 million if there is a legitimate chance.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Jul 2019 17:18

Would be a very good return on a free transfer.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2019 19:36

Would ease the pressure on other sales and cost cutting. He's a real prospect, but I would say an unreliable one.

Sometimes you gotta take what you're offered. It's about the right price to make it inviting.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Jul 2019 20:03

I disagree. He is hugely important to us. We have very few goals in this squad and there is no guarantee we can replace him with someone who will score goals. He is young and still learning and importantly in a pretty lightweight squad he gives us some physicality.
He also brings a much needed feel good factor.
The owners are right to want to keep him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2019 23:14

Of course we want to keep him. Reality is that the only players we'll get much money for are those we want and given our precarious position there's a good chance we're going to have to make an unpleasant choice to balance the books.

Which is why I think we should be pimping Swift to all and sundry.

Swift -> Barrow -> Loader -> Meite -> Rinomhota & Moore in the players we could realistically sell for good money that other clubs might want. Order of least upset in the going for good cash.

Obviously it's preferable to clear out all of Baldock, Meyler, McNulty, Gunter & McCleary without having to continue to pay them, but the odds are slim.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 12 Jul 2019 07:21

Snowflake Royal Of course we want to keep him. Reality is that the only players we'll get much money for are those we want and given our precarious position there's a good chance we're going to have to make an unpleasant choice to balance the books.

Swift -> Barrow -> Loader -> Meite -> Rinomhota & Moore in the players we could realistically sell for good money that other clubs might want. Order of least upset in the going for good cash.

Obviously it's preferable to clear out all of Baldock, Meyler, McNulty, Gunter & McCleary without having to continue to pay them, but the odds are slim.

Have to agree with that order - we are well stocked in the attacking midfield area, meaning Swift is the 1st we should cash in on. He’s unreliable and injury prone. Barrow wants out so should be early on in that order. Either of Rino or Moore and we’re in real trouble

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Jul 2019 10:58

Snowflake Royal Of course we want to keep him. Reality is that the only players we'll get much money for are those we want and given our precarious position there's a good chance we're going to have to make an unpleasant choice to balance the books.

I would agree with that order too. I wouldn’t be at all concerned if we sold Swift.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jul 2019 11:27

I'd sell Barrow before Swift, but wouldn't be too disappointed with either leaving. I do think Swift is generally more committed to the clubs and no complaints on his attitude, not that it counts a huge deal nowadays

Otherwise yeah. Meite is one of those players who could go on and be a top class talent, or just fade away to mediocrity, but he is exciting to watch. Can see why clubs would be looking at him. Swift type players are pretty common and we'd pick up a replacement easily enough