603 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Pre season tour

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jul 2019 12:24

Zip
Platypuss
Zip
I can see why he refused to go. He’s been treated pretty shabbily. Hardly given a chance upfront and then loaned out at the first opportunity and then isolated from the senior group on his return. Why would he then want to go on tour only to make up the numbers?

So no point in playing him against Peterborough if he doesn't give enough of a shit.

I would play him against Peterborough because it would be giving him a chance in the first team as opposed to going on the tour and playing with the youngsters in the reserves like Baldock has. Seems pointless to have taken Baldock on tour really.
I’m not keen on this isolation stuff. I can see why it’s been done but it’s also counter productive. If the player is a problem then fine. Isolate them. The likes of Gunter, GMac, Mannone etc are far from that.

Baldock is a better player and likely has a better attitude. I feel bad for McNulty but it was a stupid signing in the first place.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Jul 2019 12:32

NewCorkSeth
Zip
Platypuss
So no point in playing him against Peterborough if he doesn't give enough of a shit.

I would play him against Peterborough because it would be giving him a chance in the first team as opposed to going on the tour and playing with the youngsters in the reserves like Baldock has. Seems pointless to have taken Baldock on tour really.
I’m not keen on this isolation stuff. I can see why it’s been done but it’s also counter productive. If the player is a problem then fine. Isolate them. The likes of Gunter, GMac, Mannone etc are far from that.

Baldock is a better player and likely has a better attitude. I feel bad for McNulty but it was a stupid signing in the first place.

It was a signing that wasn’t thought through. If you want a player to play as a lone striker they have to be capable of playing that role. That’s not McNulty. Not sure about attitudes. McNulty did well in Scotland and would clearly like to move back there but from his comments he also came back with an open mind and giving it a go at Reading but was promptly isolated.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jul 2019 12:56

I wouldn't play him, but otherwise agree.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jul 2019 13:06

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Zip

It was a signing that wasn’t thought through. If you want a player to play as a lone striker they have to be capable of playing that role. That’s not McNulty. Not sure about attitudes. McNulty did well in Scotland and would clearly like to move back there but from his comments he also came back with an open mind and giving it a go at Reading but was promptly isolated.

There was 2 players who refused to go on tour. Given their professionalism and Moores recent words it was unlikely Gunter or McCleary. That doesn't leave many options.

It's also easy to forget Gomes was reported to have mentioned there were very disruptive forces in the squad. I'm not saying McNulty was definitely one but he might have been.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 21 Jul 2019 13:09

Zip
Platypuss
Zip
I can see why he refused to go. He’s been treated pretty shabbily. Hardly given a chance upfront and then loaned out at the first opportunity and then isolated from the senior group on his return. Why would he then want to go on tour only to make up the numbers?

I agree because it’s looking like we’re going to need some of those players come 2 week’s time. We have 1 genuine winger in Barrow - and he wants out. I’m not counting Meite as, well who knows what his position is! Surely it’s better to keep GMac involved as he will bring some experience.

Same with Baldock - personally I’d start the season with him just in behind Novakovich. Blending experience with a promising youngster. What we don’t want is a whole team of academy players like we had at the start of the Rodgers era. Not convinced starting with Olise behind Loader is going to work at the moment. Bring them off the bench by all means, and bed them into the team as the season progresses.

But we need points/results to begin with and need a more pragmatic approach

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Jul 2019 13:31

Notts Royal
Zip
Platypuss

I agree because it’s looking like we’re going to need some of those players come 2 week’s time. We have 1 genuine winger in Barrow - and he wants out. I’m not counting Meite as, well who knows what his position is! Surely it’s better to keep GMac involved as he will bring some experience.

Same with Baldock - personally I’d start the season with him just in behind Novakovich. Blending experience with a promising youngster. What we don’t want is a whole team of academy players like we had at the start of the Rodgers era. Not convinced starting with Olise behind Loader is going to work at the moment. Bring them off the bench by all means, and bed them into the team as the season progresses.

But we need points/results to begin with and need a more pragmatic approach

Yep it’s looking likely some will still be here when the window shuts and we may need them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jul 2019 13:36

NewCorkSeth
Zip
NewCorkSeth Baldock is a better player and likely has a better attitude. I feel bad for McNulty but it was a stupid signing in the first place.

There was 2 players who refused to go on tour. Given their professionalism and Moores recent words it was unlikely Gunter or McCleary. That doesn't leave many options.

It's also easy to forget Gomes was reported to have mentioned there were very disruptive forces in the squad. I'm not saying McNulty was definitely one but he might have been.

McNulty was shipped out before he could be a disruptive influence so I doubt it. Added to that he can have arrived expecting to be first choice.

Aluko being shit and taking it in was probably disruptive whether there was a problem with his actual behaviour or not. Meyler would be another guess, arrived expecting and expected to be first choice and binned after five games.

McShane has openly said he's never fully trusted a manager and was binned and then 'injured' after that Blackburn debacle.

Many more likely than McNulty IMO. Though given how things have progressed, the cap may fit NOW.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jul 2019 13:41

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Zip

McNulty was shipped out before he could be a disruptive influence so I doubt it. Added to that he can have arrived expecting to be first choice.

Aluko being shit and taking it in was probably disruptive whether there was a problem with his actual behaviour or not. Meyler would be another guess, arrived expecting and expected to be first choice and binned after five games.

McShane has openly said he's never fully trusted a manager and was binned and then 'injured' after that Blackburn debacle.

Many more likely than McNulty IMO. Though given how things have progressed, the cap may fit NOW.

My thinking was it took Gomes all of 2 days to omit him from the squad so either someone at the club said something about his attitude, the loan was already organised or he was complete shit in training which would justify his exclusion.

I just cant see how else he was banished so quickly.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Jul 2019 19:39

URZZZZ
SCIAG
windermereROYAL Surely any Manager would have McNulty above Baldock in the pecking order?

Not based on their performances for Reading, or their careers to date.

McNulty hasn’t had the chance to impress so it’s a bit unfair to say that

He's had three managers watch him train who haven't been impressed, and hasn't looked like a viable lone striker when he has played.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Jul 2019 21:55

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth There was 2 players who refused to go on tour. Given their professionalism and Moores recent words it was unlikely Gunter or McCleary. That doesn't leave many options.

My thinking was it took Gomes all of 2 days to omit him from the squad so either someone at the club said something about his attitude, the loan was already organised or he was complete shit in training which would justify his exclusion.

Large squad, did we not have about 30 first team players? Tight finances etc etc, Gomes was probably told to get rid of players who weren’t featuring in the previous regimes (hence Pelle, Mannone, Meyler as well), not sure attitude is the problem here

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jul 2019 23:09

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal McNulty was shipped out before he could be a disruptive influence so I doubt it. Added to that he can have arrived expecting to be first choice.

Large squad, did we not have about 30 first team players? Tight finances etc etc, Gomes was probably told to get rid of players who weren’t featuring in the previous regimes (hence Pelle, Mannone, Meyler as well), not sure attitude is the problem here

All possible true. I could see Gomes asking to make his own opinions on players first too but anyway. We have no real idea what has happened behind the scenes and I really do think McNulty was a very poor acquisition in the first place.

I have no hard feelings against the man and he seems like a nice bloke from Twitter but I understand his being frozen out. Hes not good enough to play in a 1 up front system. Wrong player, wrong time.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 22 Jul 2019 09:13

and he missed a penalty against Leeds. Been dead to me since then.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jul 2019 14:49

Anyone know what our XI is against Birmingham? Game at Hogwood, 0-0 at half time, apparently a mixture of first teamers and reserves

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2019 15:05

1-1 at FT apparently

Pics show Osho, Morrison, Frost and Holsgrove

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2019 15:06

Team for Peterborough

Virginia, Yiadom, Blackett, Moore, McIntyre, swift, Rinomhota, Barrett, Olise, Meite, Barrow

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Jul 2019 15:09

Hound Team for Peterborough

Virginia, Yiadom, Blackett, Moore, McIntyre, swift, Rinomhota, Barrett, Olise, Meite, Barrow

Hope Novakovich is fit and scheduled to play the 2nd half. Suppose it’s too soon for Miazga :D

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jul 2019 15:47

Looks like Obita is on the bench! :D

Taken from Twitter

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2019 15:51

that'd be lovely if so

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jul 2019 15:53

Sutekh
Hound Team for Peterborough

Hope Novakovich is fit and scheduled to play the 2nd half. Suppose it’s too soon for Miazga :D

Looks like Swift in a deeper role alongside Rino. He's shit at that. We desperately need another midfielder so we can push him into an attacking role where he is effective.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 24 Jul 2019 16:01

Anyway to watch the game?

603 posts