Formation for the season ahead

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Formation for the season ahead

by andrew1957 » 24 Jul 2019 14:00

Now we have signed Miazga and as I cannot see that we have brought in Morrison to warm the bench, I can only think that the plan is a back three with full backs adding the width. Richards is a tad suspect defensively but with three at the back he can get forwards more and so I will not be surprised to see him starting as first choice on the left with Yiadom on the right. Having three at the back also allows Swift (who is also suspect defensively at times) to add some creativity in midfield with an interchangeable front three. And with the likes of Olise to come off the bench.

I could see us playing something like this first match of the season.

Virginia
Moore
Morrison
Miazga
Yiadom
Richards
Rimonhota
Swift
Barrow
Loader
Meite

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Formation for the season ahead

by URZZZZ » 24 Jul 2019 14:08

Wouldn’t be surprised to see that, with Loader in behind Barrow and Meite. Though fully expect Blackett ahead of Richards considering he’s chosen Blackett for the first XI in friendlies every time so far

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 24 Jul 2019 14:25

URZZZZ Wouldn’t be surprised to see that, with Loader in behind Barrow and Meite. Though fully expect Blackett ahead of Richards considering he’s chosen Blackett for the first XI in friendlies every time so far

I have nothing against Blackett but just think that Richards offers more going forwards.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2019 14:29

No thank you to a 5-2-3 or a 5-3-2 or a 3-5-2 etc.. I dont think we should play a 3 at the back unless the opposition call for us to be extra defensive.

I want us to keep a simple:
----------GK
RB---CB----CB---LB
------CM----CM
AMR---AMC---AML
-----------ST

If you want to reflect the tactics I think we will likely play then stylising it as:
-----------GK
RB---CB-----CB---LB
---CM---CM---CM
IF---------ST---------IF

works too.

Either way. This is what we have the team for. It reflects (overall) the players best positions. We shouldn't sacrifice that to chase a 3 at the back just because some fans think McIntyre deserves some minutes.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jul 2019 14:34

andrew1957
URZZZZ Wouldn’t be surprised to see that, with Loader in behind Barrow and Meite. Though fully expect Blackett ahead of Richards considering he’s chosen Blackett for the first XI in friendlies every time so far

I have nothing against Blackett but just think that Richards offers more going forwards.

:shock: Have you seen Blackett cross a ball? He had some beauties of assists last year.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 24 Jul 2019 14:40

I'm not getting the Richards Loving here. His best game was his full debut. After that he looked out of his depth, was clearly targeted when he was starting. He filled a gap when needed, he stepped up. He is a very useful back up and bench player. Not a starter.
Again with all our players, I am happy to be proven wrong.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2019 14:49

Think Gomes will go between 5 at the back and 4, depending on the game. He has proven to be quite adaptable, and Morrison won't have come in to be on the bench

Agree its probably

Virginia
Yiadom Moore Miazga Blackett
Adam/new CM Rino
Swift
Meite Loader/Nova Barrow

or

Virginia
Yiadom Morrison Miazga Moore Blackett
Rino Swift
Meite Loader/Nova Barrow

depending on the game at the moment

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 24 Jul 2019 16:13

NewCorkSeth We shouldn't chase a 3 at the back just because some fans think McIntyre deserves some minutes.

Agree...and that's why I'd sell Moore (and get a good def-mid and a striker in with the money).
A few weeks ago we couldn't sell Moore because 'he's the only proven, experienced, Champ, CB at the club'.
Well, things change, and that's no longer the case.
If Morrison approximates Moore (and they apparently have similar stature and traits) then Moore suddenly looks very expensive indeed (esp in our financial position).
Miazga and Morrison, with McIntyre as backup, could work, imo.
And, you could still go 3 at the back, if/when desired, by giving McIntyre some starts.
(Or, you could also go out and sign a Heneghan or Ajayi, if deemed necessary).

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jul 2019 16:19

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth We shouldn't chase a 3 at the back just because some fans think McIntyre deserves some minutes.

Agree...and that's why I'd sell Moore (and get a good def-mid and a striker in with the money).
A few weeks ago we couldn't sell Moore because 'he's the only proven, experienced, Champ, CB at the club'.
If Morrison approximates Moore (and they apparently have similar stature and traits) then Moore suddenly looks very expensive indeed (esp in our financial position).
Miazga and Morrison, with McIntyre as backup, could work, imo. (Or, you could also then sign a Heneghan or Ajayi, if needed)
And, you could still go 3 at the back, if/when desired, by giving McIntyre some starts.

Seriously? Moore is far more younger and more proven than Morrisson. Miazga is on loan. If we survive this season and start building a team for promotion once we have more wiggle room with funds, Moore, Yiadom and Rino are the 3 I look at as the foundations to build that team around. Only sell for silly money (I.e £10m+)

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 24 Jul 2019 16:22

WestYorksRoyal
Denver Royal

Miazga and Morrison, with McIntyre as backup, could work, imo. (Or, you could also then sign a Heneghan or Ajayi, if needed)
Or, you could also go out and sign a Heneghan or Ajayi, if deemed necessary).

Seriously? Moore is far more younger and more proven than Morrisson. Miazga is on loan. If we survive this season and start building a team for promotion once we have more wiggle room with funds, Moore, Yiadom and Rino are the 3 I look at as the foundations to build that team around. Only sell for silly money (I.e £10m+)

See last sentence.
If Morrison scores goals here, then I have to wonder if Moore is 10 mil times better.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 24 Jul 2019 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2019 16:26

Ajayi has gone to West Brom, so no chance of that

Obvs we also need someone to want to pay £10m for Moore - don't see that forthcoming. Celtic were priced out and Brighton have a new management team.

Can't see him going anywhere, and I think thats good for us.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jul 2019 16:30

Denver Royal

I see your point of view but get the feeling he likes Gomes and with him being club captain, don’t think it’s likely. But if an offer came in double figures, I’d find it difficult to decide

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2019 16:51

Denver Royal

You know whats not a good look for a club? Actively touting your (arguably) best player, who has just recently been made captain, to other clubs.

I am referring to your comment "thats why I'd sell Moore". To me that sounds like you want us to look to sell him rather than simply accept a bid that is deemed fair. Thats an awful idea for many reasons:

1: Hes is a proven Championship level CB
2: He is our captain. Respected by the squad and an important voice on the pitch.
3: He is 26, not even even in his prime yet so its reasonable to believe he will improve.
4: We do not know how effective Morrison will actually be for us. Remember Tommy Elphick? He came with a similar pedigree (albeit with a history of injury) and immediately got injured. We need 3 senior CBs.
5: Our young trio are untested. McIntyre might turn out to be the shit but selling Moore to accommodate a player 2
6: We just signed Matt Miazga, a player who formed a great relationship with Moore. Why throw that away to start from scratch?

Morrison has come with a decent reputation, but a very large weakness according to Birmingham fans. He cant pass.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 24 Jul 2019 17:05

NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal

You know whats not a good look for a club? Actively touting your (arguably) best player, who has just recently been made captain, to other clubs.

I am referring to your comment "thats why I'd sell Moore". To me that sounds like you want us to look to sell him rather than simply accept a bid that is deemed fair. Thats an awful idea for many reasons:

2: He is our captain. Respected by the squad and an important voice on the pitch.
3: He is 26, not even even in his prime yet so its reasonable to believe he will improve.
4: We do not know how effective Morrison will actually be for us. Remember Tommy Elphick? He came with a similar pedigree (albeit with a history of injury) and immediately got injured. We need 3 senior CBs.
5: Our young trio are untested. McIntyre might turn out to be the shit but selling Moore to accommodate a player 2
6: We just signed Matt Miazga, a player who formed a great relationship with Moore. Why throw that away to start from scratch?

Morrison has come with a decent reputation, but a very large weakness according to Birmingham fans. He cant pass.

Morrison is a proven Champ CB too? He was touted as being that on his thread when he signed.
Moore having only just been appointed captain, wouldn't be a huge issue for me really.
But anyway, the trade off, as I said, is what you could then do with the money to address other positions, and whether we'd then be a better team overall as a result. (Maybe we could then buy Eja for 3 mil, for example?)
How the club would then actually go about selling Moore, if they decided to, I don't know.
I can certainly understand and see why the club would keep Moore, and why people would want to.
Anyway, it prolly won't happen, it was just an idea/suggestion, and you disagree, no worries.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2019 17:26

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal Agree...and that's why I'd sell Moore (and get a good def-mid and a striker in with the money).

Morrison is a proven Champ CB too? He was touted as being that on his thread when he signed.
Moore having only just been appointed captain, wouldn't be a huge issue for me really.
But anyway, the trade off, as I said, is what you could then do with the money to address other positions, and whether we'd then be a better team overall as a result. (Maybe we could then buy Eja for 3 mil, for example?)
How the club would then actually go about selling Moore, if they decided to, I don't know.
I can certainly understand and see why the club would keep Moore, and why people would want to.
Anyway, it was just an idea/suggestion, and you disagree, no worries.

Its just all a bit "cut off the hand to save the foot" for me. If we did that, in a few season we will have fans saying "we should sell *DM* to buy a *CB*"

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2019 17:31

Can’t see it happening whatever. The owners love him, liked and respected by the fans, Gomes’ captain and probably part of the reason Miazga signed back up

Would have to be a silly offer - and can’t see anyone making that

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 24 Jul 2019 18:27

I think the key to us surviving this season and to have a solid backline which concedes very few goals and we hit teams on the break to win.

In light of this I am going for the classic

GK

RB CB CB CB CB CB CB CB LB

ST

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 25 Jul 2019 06:37

If Moore has only just been made captain then who was the bloke captaining the team all last season ?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jul 2019 07:38

Nameless If Moore has only just been made captain then who was the bloke captaining the team all last season ?

McShane being club captain was the point, as you know, even though Moore captained on the field.

People using McShane not playing as captain (not appointed by Gomes) for why Moore wouldn't play is just a bit weird. Totally different.

Surprised so many people think Morrison would only come here if guaranteed regular starts. Or that because we now have three decent CBs we must play all of them.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jul 2019 08:00

Anyone thinking that we should now get rid of Moore need to re-assess that view. We have gone from looking weak at the back to it being our strongest part of the team - it now looks like a top half defence. You need 4 good CBs - who are actually CBs to be successful, we have that in the 3 senior ones and McIntyre (who looks ready for Champ level too).

Sell Moore to get money in for other areas only weakens us there and we are only an injury away from having to shift Blackett into the middle (when he is actually looking decent at LB) and having to change 2 spots in defence rather than one. The only way Moore goes is if he makes it clear that he wants to and a club meets our valuation - 2 months ago I would have not had an argument with the view we should sell Moore but 10 day before kick off and 2 weeks before deadline day to start trying to sell would be frankly crazy.