Any more out the door?

257 posts
Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Any more out the door?

by Denver Royal » 25 Jul 2019 15:17

Nameless
FiNeRaIn Gunter could still contribute to a the first team and I do not understand the dislike for the guy. He's not passed it at 30 either and we aren't exactly stacked with top level right backs. One injury then boom.

One Injury at right back and Morrison, or Howe, or Watson step in. We are better covered there than anywhere ! While I agree Gunter would absolutely still do a more than adequate job he is too expensive as a backup.

Yep, it's not really a dislike for Gunter (at least not for me), it's more a case of whether it's economically prudent to keep him given our financial plight.
Earlier in the Summer, I believe he, along with Swift, Barrow and Moore were identified in here as being maybe our most sell-able assets that would generate much needed capital.
Well, we've not sold any of the last three (yet), and so Gunter might be an option to go, rather than it being a dislike for the bloke.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jul 2019 19:25

One87One Surprised Gunter is still here. Must be wage related as he’s suit a lower end Champ club or top end L1.

Meyler apparently has lots of interest in L2 but is said to be holding out for L1.

Think both will be gone before deadline day.

But of one in the eye for all those who said Gunter was brilliant. No one wants him. Not even Reading.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jul 2019 19:36

I’m sure there are clubs that would happily take him

Just not on whatever ridiculous wage Gourlay gave him

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 25 Jul 2019 19:58

Snowflake Royal
One87One Surprised Gunter is still here. Must be wage related as he’s suit a lower end Champ club or top end L1.

Meyler apparently has lots of interest in L2 but is said to be holding out for L1.

Think both will be gone before deadline day.

But of one in the eye for all those who said Gunter was brilliant. No one wants him. Not even Reading.

There are probably plenty of clubs who would want him, just not on the money that he is on. Same goes for Meyler. Same goes for McCleary.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jul 2019 20:12

Take the examples of Popa, Baldock and Meyler and there are certainly indications around that they aren't willing to take paycuts, or require their contract paid up in full to leave. No such suggestions for Gunter.

McCleary has a poor injury record.

But if Gunter was as good as claimed, he'd be worth the money.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 25 Jul 2019 20:38

Snowflake Royal Take the examples of Popa, Baldock and Meyler and there are certainly indications around that they aren't willing to take paycuts, or require their contract paid up in full to leave. No such suggestions for Gunter.

Just because there aren't any "suggestions" for Gunter doesn't mean that it isn't the case. He has never been one to speak out in the media, but if I was him I wouldn't want to take a pay cut just because my current club has decided they don't want me. But I wouldn't be shouting about it either.

And I haven't seen many claiming he is worth the wages we are paying......I think the majority would agree that he isn't one of our best players despite being one of the highest earners.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 25 Jul 2019 22:07

Wycombe Royal
Snowflake Royal Take the examples of Popa, Baldock and Meyler and there are certainly indications around that they aren't willing to take paycuts, or require their contract paid up in full to leave. No such suggestions for Gunter.

Just because there aren't any "suggestions" for Gunter doesn't mean that it isn't the case. He has never been one to speak out in the media, but if I was him I wouldn't want to take a pay cut just because my current club has decided they don't want me. But I wouldn't be shouting about it either.

And I haven't seen many claiming he is worth the wages we are paying......I think the majority would agree that he isn't one of our best players despite being one of the highest earners.

What I want to know is how anyone can tell who the high earners are? Is the assumption that whoever signed a Gourlay contract is a high earner? Is Baldock on more than McNulty? Who knows!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jul 2019 07:18

Notts Royal
Wycombe Royal

What I want to know is how anyone can tell who the high earners are? Is the assumption that whoever signed a Gourlay contract is a high earner? Is Baldock on more than McNulty? Who knows!

'Names' who signed under Gourlay. For example Aluko - marquee signing, high profile player at Fulham, big fee.

Players who were signed for the PL or in the aftermath of our relegation to get us back and had contract renewals when we had bigger immediate admissions. Ie Gunter, McCleary.

It's not hard to estimate who is going to be at our top end.

Is Baldock on more than McNulty?
You're asking if an experienced player who cost more, has a long record of playing in the Championship and was more part of first team plans is on more than a player who'd basically no record at this level and is relatively early in his career?

It's pretty obvious the answer is going to be yes, Baldock is on more.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jul 2019 07:43

Baldock looks at least semi integrated back with the squad. Whether that’s because Gomes rates him enough or just little chance of offloading I don’t know

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Jul 2019 08:54

Hound Baldock looks at least semi integrated back with the squad. Whether that’s because Gomes rates him enough or just little chance of offloading I don’t know

You'd be stupid not to. Best outcome for the club would be to shift him and get his wages off the books, but if it's not possible he can do a job at this level. And he's not worth shipping off on a bad deal (e.g. loan where we subsidise wages), whereas Meyler and McNulty may be given how far from the first team they are.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jul 2019 09:06

yep, gone round in a big circle, but thats why I'm slightly surprised McCleary isn't still knocking about. Or maybe he did - had the offer but refused

Meyler/McNulty were never wanted by Gomes, Gunter got a few games, but he used McCleary a lot last year.

Magic Hat

by Magic Hat » 29 Jul 2019 10:18

Hound yep, gone round in a big circle, but thats why I'm slightly surprised McCleary isn't still knocking about. Or maybe he did - had the offer but refused

Meyler/McNulty were never wanted by Gomes, Gunter got a few games, but he used McCleary a lot last year.

If a player refused to train or play for the first team, wouldn't they be in breach of contract?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2019 10:23

Good question that - apparently two players did refuse to go to Spain - don’t know how true

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 29 Jul 2019 10:53

depends really, football is no different to any workplace, imo. Say you were asked to go to Spain on a work conference, and you refused to go, what would the outcome be?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jul 2019 13:56

Reports coming out that Diamond Edwards has gone/is going to Southampton for a "substantial" fee.

Not first team but any decent fee for a player nowhere near the first team, has to be welcomed at the mo.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 29 Jul 2019 14:36

Stranded Reports coming out that Diamond Edwards has gone/is going to Southampton for a "substantial" fee.

Not first team but any decent fee for a player nowhere near the first team, has to be welcomed at the mo.

Wasn't he out of contract? Don't players that age that move only attract a fairly modest payout??

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 29 Jul 2019 14:41

paddy20
Stranded Reports coming out that Diamond Edwards has gone/is going to Southampton for a "substantial" fee.

Wasn't he out of contract? Don't players that age that move only attract a fairly modest payout??

Think at most it will be about 100k

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jul 2019 14:44

paddy20
paddy20

Minimum is 160k

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Jul 2019 15:42

Stranded
paddy20
paddy20

Minimum is 160k

Yes, 160K up front, but with more coming if he does well. e.g., 20% of transfer fee if Southampton sell him before he's 24, 5% of any future transfer fee, appearance fees if he plays as a senior pro (up to £1.3 million if he plays more than 100 games in the PL)

Obvs it would be better if he stayed with us, and we sold him for 5 million down the line - but he refused a contract, so...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Jul 2019 16:20

Meyler gone

won't help our FFP though very much I doubt though

257 posts