Where will we finish?

227 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Where will we finish?

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Jul 2019 10:23

Pre-season is over, there may be 1 or 2 more signings but the squad is basically set. Time to predict where we finish.

I'm actually feeling more optimistic. We have a good backline and some young exciting attacking players. However, this is offset by GK worries and lack of midfield depth.

Considering all this, I'm predicting a safe 16th. We'll have some games where we surprise good teams, and some shockers. We'll be infuriatingly inconsistent, but show promise we can build upon going into next season, where hopefully we have more FFP freedom.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Where will we finish?

by Hound » 29 Jul 2019 10:27

Going for 14th

Possibly over optimistic but we’ve some real talent in the side

Really depends if we can get a run of goals from Loader, Nova or Baldock imo. If one of them can get 15, supported by Meite, Barrow and whoever plays ACM we should be good

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Jul 2019 10:41

I think there are a few as-yet unknowns.

Will the goalkeeping be good enough? The back four look solid with VG cover but it might be hard to keep the four CBs happy

If we get a striker, or one of our current strikers can get a Blackman-Like purple patch, then almost anything is possible.

But really I see this season as one for trying to stay clear of danger while developing our special crop of kids so that NEXT season we could have a real crack. No matter how good Loader WILL BE, he is going to develop a lot over this season and the next. It's hard to imagine he will be anywhere near a 20-goal striker THIS season.

Olise, Barrett etc all look to have great promise, but 46 crunching games, league cup, FA Cup, that's hard.

We actually look like a squad where the manager has tough choices and Gomes will have some sleepless nights.

From what I've seen so far I don't think we'll be in the bottom 4/5, and I doubt we'l make the top six, not so much talent-wise, but in terms of momentum/weight/the grind.

I could see a few 6/7/8 game runs where we look special.

But having said all the above, are we sure Moore is staying? Will we yet lose Loader or Olise? Will Nova go? It will be slightly easier to predict when the transfer window shuts. A cheeky 8-9 million bid for Moore with the money up front, I think we'd have to say yes, resolve FFP and still have Miazga, Morrison, McIntyre... Blackett

If that happened, would we all change our predictions?

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 29 Jul 2019 11:06

I’d be over the moon with anywhere between 12th and 16th. It’d be nice to be safely mid-table. I know a play-off run would be fun, but I can’t see it happening. I really don’t fancy yet another season of looking over our shoulders! I reckon we’ll finish 18th or 19th though.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Jul 2019 11:10

A couple of interesting noises from club. Howe says we need another striker to help us reach 80 goals and push for top 6. Sorry - no chance. Gomes says owners want promotion.

If Gomes gets us playing good football, guides us to 18th or so and then gets sacked, they will have a fanbase mutiny to manage.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Jul 2019 11:12

No poll?

Poor, very poor.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 Jul 2019 11:18

Hendo No poll?

Poor, very poor.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Jul 2019 11:28

Where we finish, as usual, will obv be related to how other teams do. Sometimes think we like to think we're the only team that has improved itself (if we have). We could improve, yet still finish lower. Bookies have us struggling.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 29 Jul 2019 11:30

WestYorksRoyal A couple of interesting noises from club. Howe says we need another striker to help us reach 80 goals and push for top 6. Sorry - no chance. Gomes says owners want promotion.

If Gomes gets us playing good football, guides us to 18th or so and then gets sacked, they will have a fanbase mutiny to manage.

100% agree. Reminds me of the season Clarke got sacked and then said the owners wanted promotion. That squad was much more experienced than this one.

2 weeks ago the noise was the season would be a real struggle, now are setting silly targets. Where’s the fecking realism?! The long term approach works better. We want to build this squad over a number of seasons - they will take a few seasons. If the owners don’t realise that, the near future could be turbulent once again

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2019 11:32

Howe isn't stupid though. No point putting out noises about 'we need another striker to finish lower mid table'.

I don't realistically think the owners or Howe think we have anywhere near enough for a promotion push. Its very much a year of trying to consolidate, find out which youngsters are good enough, and then build for next year

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Jul 2019 11:35

WestYorksRoyal If Gomes gets us playing good football, guides us to 18th or so and then gets sacked, they will have a fanbase mutiny to manage.

Finish 18th, and a fan mutiny that wants him sacked? That's quite possible.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2019 11:41

Denver Royal
WestYorksRoyal If Gomes gets us playing good football, guides us to 18th or so and then gets sacked, they will have a fanbase mutiny to manage.

Finish 18th, and a fan mutiny that wants him sacked? That's quite possible.

I think he means a fan mutiny when they sack him

Where do you think we'll finish Denver?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Jul 2019 11:50

Notts Royal
WestYorksRoyal A couple of interesting noises from club. Howe says we need another striker to help us reach 80 goals and push for top 6. Sorry - no chance. Gomes says owners want promotion.

100% agree. Reminds me of the season Clarke got sacked and then said the owners wanted promotion. That squad was much more experienced than this one.

2 weeks ago the noise was the season would be a real struggle, now are setting silly targets. Where’s the fecking realism?! The long term approach works better. We want to build this squad over a number of seasons - they will take a few seasons. If the owners don’t realise that, the near future could be turbulent once again

Well, Gomes only has this season left on his contract, so they likely won't have to sack him, they just won't renew his deal. Or, maybe he won't sign it if offered and will want to leave anyway.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Jul 2019 12:18

Going to be a difficult season. Unless we bring in some further loan signings. Still hoping that Baker returns.

Once transfer window closes we'll have a better idea of how high a position is even possible.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Jul 2019 12:21

Lower West Going to be a difficult season. Unless we bring in some further loan signings. Still hoping that Baker returns.

Once transfer window closes we'll have a better idea of how high a position is even possible.

+1

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2019 12:27

Baker’s already gone elsewhere

yuomi

by yuomi » 29 Jul 2019 12:28

Denver Royal
Lower West Going to be a difficult season. Unless we bring in some further loan signings. Still hoping that Baker returns.

+1

The Lewis Baker who's signed a season-long loan with Fortuna Dusseldorf.

I'd suggest that is unlikely.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Jul 2019 12:40

Think we'll finish in a similar position to last year. Will go for 19th. Very important that we get off to a solid start, beginning with a win vs Sheffield Wednesday. Home form will be key again. It kept us up last year.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 29 Jul 2019 12:47

23rd

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 29 Jul 2019 12:48

10th

Maybe higher

Maybe lower