CONFIMRED: Lucas Joao

198 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

CONFIMRED: Lucas Joao

by Stranded » 02 Aug 2019 15:14

Apparently, we have opened talks to bring the 25 yo Portugese striker in from Sheff Wed. Scored 10 goals in 31 games for them last year.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/read ... -attacker/

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour: Lucas Joao

by Hound » 02 Aug 2019 15:24

wouldn't surprise me, think he is a good player. Done the rounds before this rumour I think?

Lets see whether Sherlock Friday picks up on it

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Aug 2019 15:33

10 goals in 32 games, I think Meite had a better strike rate than that last season.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Aug 2019 15:34

windermereROYAL 10 goals in 32 games, I think Meite had a better strike rate than that last season.

12 in 37 so very similar.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Aug 2019 15:35

He is similar to Meite in a lot of ways. Physical threat but sometimes can't hit a barn door. Would only be interested if we lost Novakovich or Baldock.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Aug 2019 15:36

28 in 126 games for Wednesday.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Aug 2019 15:46

Aren't we expected to be in the same area of the table as Wednesday? If he was going to make a big impact, would they loan him to a rival?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Aug 2019 15:47

Madness, :shock:

Sam Rourke

@samrourke_

Been told Reading are keen on Sheffield Wednesday striker Lucas Joao, but fee could prove a hurdle in this deal, with the Owls wanting upwards of £5m. An initial loan move is a possibility. #ReadingFC #SWFC

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Aug 2019 15:53

windermereROYAL Madness, :shock:

Sam Rourke

@samrourke_

Been told Reading are keen on Sheffield Wednesday striker Lucas Joao, but fee could prove a hurdle in this deal, with the Owls wanting upwards of £5m. An initial loan move is a possibility. #ReadingFC #SWFC

The last sentence is the key there - loan him this season. From 1st July next year the massive 20m loss drops off our FFP, so we pay either the full amount (or first installment) then - makes FFP sense.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Aug 2019 15:57

Nameless
windermereROYAL 10 goals in 32 games, I think Meite had a better strike rate than that last season.

12 in 37 so very similar.

For those that like the mins per game stat:

Joao hit a goal every 160 mins last season or better than 1 goal in 2 games
Meite one every 217 or 1 every 2.5 games

Joao has a hit rate of 1 goal every 240 mins over his career so better than 1 in 3. Pretty good.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Aug 2019 15:57

Stranded
windermereROYAL Madness, :shock:

Sam Rourke

@samrourke_

The last sentence is the key there - loan him this season. From 1st July next year the massive 20m loss drops off our FFP, so we pay either the full amount (or first installment) then - makes FFP sense.

In any context does £5 million for him make sense ?

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 02 Aug 2019 16:06

I’ve given up any hope of Novakovich playing. Just utter madness that we are going for average strikers when this bloke has done really well at a decent level and has scored a decent amount

We might as well sell the bloke when we have the chance to get decent money for him

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Aug 2019 16:15

Notts Royal I’ve given up any hope of Novakovich playing. Just utter madness that we are going for average strikers when this bloke has done really well at a decent level and has scored a decent amount

We might as well sell the bloke when we have the chance to get decent money for him

We may well sell him. I'm not convinced he is the answer given the way we look like being set up this year. His lack of minutes with likely 1st team players in pre-season would suggest Gomes isn t convinced either.

If the manager believes that his system will bring the best out of Joao (or whoever) then their record to date is fairly meaningless.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 02 Aug 2019 16:31

Notts Royal I’ve given up any hope of Novakovich playing. Just utter madness that we are going for average strikers when this bloke has done really well at a decent level and has scored a decent amount

Hmmm.. If we were in for Nova right now, you'd be saying "oh ffs why are we signing average strikers with no record". Joao has scored goals at this level (albeit not all that many, but apparently gets shoved out on the wing often), which is more than Nova.

For me, its Nova OR Loader. Playing both = not enough experience = both going missing against experienced champ defenders = 0 goals for Reading.

Play one of them with a more experienced player around him = better results. Looks like Nova is the second choice at the moment, which I'd argue is fair enough right now.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Aug 2019 16:36

Be interesting to see if Lucas Eduardo Santos João has any involvement for Wednesday tomorrow.

Seems a bit of a :| to me particularly after being linked with a loan for Bonatini

For the record he is 6’3” which will be useful and has managed a couple of caps for Portugal so must have something about him.

I presume he must have signed a new deal at Wednesday at some point as wiki says he signed a 4 year deal with them in 2015.

Really would like to see Novakovich break through successfully though but then the Championship is a whole different ball game to the Eredivisie so perhaps it might be best for him to prove himself from the bench initially and just go from there.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 02 Aug 2019 16:44

Stranded

We may well sell him. I'm not convinced he is the answer given the way we look like being set up this year. His lack of minutes with likely 1st team players in pre-season would suggest Gomes isn t convinced either.

If the manager believes that his system will bring the best out of Joao (or whoever) then their record to date is fairly meaningless.

I agree that certain players fit different systems etc but in this case he would seem to suit that style - mobile, can play on his own up front, holds the ball, technical. To me he would suit that no.9 role over Loader.

Not saying he’s the answer, but his attributes certainly suggest he has something to offer. And no cost

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Aug 2019 18:14

Notts Royal
Stranded

I agree that certain players fit different systems etc but in this case he would seem to suit that style - mobile, can play on his own up front, holds the ball, technical. To me he would suit that no.9 role over Loader.

Not saying he’s the answer, but his attributes certainly suggest he has something to offer. And no cost

Maybe but as it stands I'll be surprised if we see much of him. He will most likely start against Wycombe and will have to impress there or off the bench. At the mo though, I see him heading off to the Netherlands sooner rather than later.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Aug 2019 18:52

January is quite a way away - a couple of injuries and he is first choice

I’d keep hold of him til then see if he can work his way in

Wallsy

by Wallsy » 02 Aug 2019 19:23

Similarities to Oliveira in terms of temperament, but Jose seems to get the best out of everyone so it’s worth the loan and then see how he does. The only way we’ll be spending £5m next summer on anyone is if a Moore leaves for big money.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Aug 2019 20:07

Tore us a new one today but tbh it looked like it was more to do with our own ineptitude.

Made him look like Lucas Moura.

198 posts