Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

2100 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Aug 2019 12:09

StellaPlease I'm sorry, and I appreciate what club1871 is doing and it really is needed, but today it was embarrassing. Fully if happy clapping and it only took Wednesday once to really pipe up and they sounded like a proper mob. Full of lads having it and ours looked like a bunch of lite boys on a happy day out.

:lol:

Weak weak trolling effort.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 04 Aug 2019 12:20

Snowflake Royal
StellaPlease I'm sorry, and I appreciate what club1871 is doing and it really is needed, but today it was embarrassing. Fully if happy clapping and it only took Wednesday once to really pipe up and they sounded like a proper mob. Full of lads having it and ours looked like a bunch of lite boys on a happy day out.

:lol:

Weak weak trolling effort.

I'm genuinely not, I'm really glad they're there. But when a proper mob like Wednesday come, they'll come undone. It's all too happy clappy and not enough raucous nastyness.

Saying that, the whole stadium was flat. I just don't understand it, you wait all summer for the football, then that shit crowd turns up.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 04 Aug 2019 13:01

Given Stella has ignored my question about where they were sat, I’ll give my thoughts.

I did one game in the early part of last season, it was an awful 1-0 loss, the numbers were low and the whole experience was very drab.

Having seen how well everyone did towards the end of last year, I moved my season ticket to C1871 for this season. I was at the back of the stand yesterday, and where I was the atmosphere from the Reading fans was absolutely superb. The first half hour in particular was like we were in an important playoff match, not the first game of the season.

Conversely, I only heard a peep out of the Wednesday fans when they sang that god awful ‘hark now hear’ song and when they scored. I appreciate there are different perspectives at different sections in the ground, but given Wednesday are generally quite loud I thought it was testament to C1871 that they were kept mostly quiet in a game they won (from where I was).

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 04 Aug 2019 13:07

URZZZZZZZZ Given Stella has ignored my question about where they were sat, I’ll give my thoughts.

I did one game in the early part of last season, it was an awful 1-0 loss, the numbers were low and the whole experience was very drab.

Having seen how well everyone did towards the end of last year, I moved my season ticket to C1871 for this season. I was at the back of the stand yesterday, and where I was the atmosphere from the Reading fans was absolutely superb. The first half hour in particular was like we were in an important playoff match, not the first game of the season.

Conversely, I only heard a peep out of the Wednesday fans when they sang that god awful ‘hark now hear’ song and when they scored. I appreciate there are different perspectives at different sections in the ground, but given Wednesday are generally quite loud I thought it was testament to C1871 that they were kept mostly quiet in a game they won (from where I was).

What does it matter where I sit? I'm just giving my opinion, and your preciousness is exactly the reason I don't thing it will last beyond this season.

You make noise, yes, but it is just so happy clappy. Not what I started watching football for and fell in love with.

Walking past yesterday outside the gate, it's just full of shirters like excited children. We laughed realty, but i personally am glad they're there, just need some lads in there.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 04 Aug 2019 13:22

StellaPlease
URZZZZZZZZ Given Stella has ignored my question about where they were sat, I’ll give my thoughts.

What does it matter where I sit? I'm just giving my opinion, and your preciousness is exactly the reason I don't thing it will last beyond this season.

You make noise, yes, but it is just so happy clappy. Not what I started watching football for and fell in love with.

Walking past yesterday outside the gate, it's just full of shirters like excited children. We laughed realty, but i personally am glad they're there, just need some lads in there.

I see, I understand your point now. I thought you were insinuating that the Wednesday fans were louder than C1871, which to me sounded like a nonsense comment given where I was situated for the game. My question about where you were sat was related to the volume levels of each support, and whether there was a tangible difference dependant on where you were located - as I said before, I barely heard a peep out of Wednesday.

I’d be interested to know why you thought Wednesday’s support was so special? You’ve said they sound like a mob, but it would be good for you to elaborate on your point.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 04 Aug 2019 13:26

URZZZZZZZZ
StellaPlease

I see, I understand your point now. I thought you were insinuating that the Wednesday fans were louder than C1871, which to me sounded like a nonsense comment given where I was situated for the game. My question about where you were sat was related to the volume levels of each support, and whether there was a tangible difference dependant on where you were located - as I said before, I barely heard a peep out of Wednesday.

I’d be interested to know why you thought Wednesday’s support was so special? You’ve said they sound like a mob, but it would be good for you to elaborate on your point.

It wasn't special, but when they made a noise, it was a proper football noise.

Your songs always have to include clapping and a drum. When they piped up, they were far louder than you/us that's all.

La Flama Blanca

by La Flama Blanca » 04 Aug 2019 14:40

StellaPlease

Full of shirters? At a football match? How bizarre! Whether someone is wearing a replica Reading shirt or a Stone Island jacket and Adidas trainers, it makes no difference to the atmosphere if they're not going to sing so having a pop at 'shirters' is silly.
The problem with 1871 at the moment is there are still too many people there that don't sing or join in all game and just stand or clap as you said, which means the clapping ends up drowning out a lot of the chants. There's not really a lot that can be done about that though. It is a growing project so I'm sure it will improve in time.
Clubs like Wednesday always have a good following and we can't expect to drown out 2,200 away fans when they get going with half that amount in 1871, especially if half aren't willing to get involved.
Still an improvement on previous seasons.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 04 Aug 2019 14:43

Fair enough, I don't wear stone Island by the way, just saying your shirter types are enthusiastic, just not very raucous.

I think the numbers are decent, just a bit failing at the moment and not as good as people thought it would be.

La Flama Blanca

by La Flama Blanca » 04 Aug 2019 15:03

StellaPlease Fair enough, I don't wear stone Island by the way, just saying your shirter types are enthusiastic, just not very raucous.

I think the numbers are decent, just a bit failing at the moment and not as good as people thought it would be.

I agree, and It annoys me that there are some people who have probably got season tickets there but have no intention of getting involved but I guess it is what it is, you can't force people to sing.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Aug 2019 16:55

Wendy have had our number for as long as I remember, so don't think it's any fault of Cub 1871 really.

I recall a game at Elm Park in 1976(?) when we thought we had them. As the game kicked off, there weren't many of them behind the goal and so we were giving it very large from the South Bank, out-singing and taunting them.
What in fact had happened, though, was a load of their coaches had got delayed in traffic on the motorways, with the result that a load of Wendy lads started pouring in to the ground about 20 mins in to the game.
We were getting quieter and more circumspect with each arrival. Eventually the away end was packed. And then it all kicked off, as they piled on to the pitch (no fencing back then) and ran in to the South Bank and a big ruckus ensued.
That game is referenced on one of their forums, here:

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic ... ed/page/2/

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Aug 2019 17:21

Them were the days....we had it tough (and well before THAT Swansea game)

Overrun by Pompey, Lincoln and Northampton ffs

Them were the days

Aldershot used to make a fair fist of it......but this was the 197’0’s

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 05 Aug 2019 10:48

AthleticoSpizz Them were the days....we had it tough (and well before THAT Swansea game)

Them were the days

Yeah but we showed Workington a thing or two. All 10 of them :D
You do have to laugh though, those days seem so surreal now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2019 12:47

Atmosphere in C1871 on Saturday was consistently louder than most I've experienced in Y25/26 over about 10 years of sitting there.

Stella's only complaint appears to be that it isn't nasty enough. Well, no. But it's not supposed to be.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 05 Aug 2019 16:17

I wouldn't want a bunch of thugs there. That would only lead to problems for the club and those who pushed for C1871.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 05 Aug 2019 17:03

The Enfield Royal71 I wouldn't want a bunch of thugs there. That would only lead to problems for the club and those who pushed for C1871.

^ this.

You start having an element of C1871 charging at away fans, then it's all over.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2019 17:20

It's a weird idea isn't it, that the amount of noise is less important than how aggressive and nasty is or who it is aimed at.

JR

by JR » 05 Aug 2019 22:53

Snowflake Royal It's a weird idea isn't it, that the amount of noise is less important than how aggressive and nasty is or who it is aimed at.

I think his username gives it away - stuck in the past of unnecessary abuse.

Think of the best atmospheres at sporting events of recent times and none of it is gladiatorial or hooliganistic like Stella hopes for

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Aug 2019 23:02

Snowflake Royal Atmosphere in C1871 on Saturday was consistently louder than most I've experienced in Y25/26 over about 10 years of sitting there.

Stella's only complaint appears to be that it isn't nasty enough. Well, no. But it's not supposed to be.

Agreed.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 09 Aug 2019 17:58

AthleticoSpizz Them were the days....we had it tough (and well before THAT Swansea game)

Them were the days

Heh, reckon you got turned over by an OCS top firm one too many times. As did I. :)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Aug 2019 18:07

We ran together :wink:

2100 posts