CONFIMRED - Barrow on his way

128 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Barrow on the way ?

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jul 2019 17:08

I think they probably do a bit more research having seen him impress in a friendly before actually making a bid.

Not going to be hard to dig out some old scouting reports from sources, or get a few people down to watch training and further friendlies. Scout us in advance of the game.

£1m plus a decent player - YES
£4m+ YES.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 19 Jul 2019 17:52

I expect the club would have to take a haircut on any transfer fee

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Jul 2019 05:47

WestYorksRoyal
Tilehurstsouthbank So this has cropped up again. Get Reading reporting that Sevilla are interested in Barrow after his performance against them in the friendly.

Seriously, who signs a player on the basis of a friendly? Terrible recruitment policy. From my memory, we did that with that guy I've forgotten from Espanyol and he barely featured. Also got Akpan and Blackman after FA Cup games.

This rumour is probably bollocks started by a journalist wanting a story. If they are interested, it will be on a basis of more than a friendly.

The Man Utd players convinced Sir Alex to sign C. Ronaldo after their friendly with Sporting Lisbon, I’d say that was a pretty decent piece of business.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 10 Aug 2019 09:33

Looks like he is then. :cry:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Aug 2019 08:09

I'm in 2 minds about this one. He has been a divisive figure here for sure. I admit he has been patchy as a player and there have been times his attitude has looked poor on the pitch but on his day hes a top winger. Those days were not often enough but the mess we have had in CM during his time hasnt helped one bit.

The fact is he wants away. Despite my preference to keep a player like him around we need players ready to muck in again and he clearly doesnt fancy it here. Its a shame but I have no ill will towards him. Good luck to him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Aug 2019 08:55

Big earner, questionable commitment and long periods of poor performance.

Plus he's really the only pacey wide man we have, so his style clearly isn't really in Gomes plans.

Don't want him out, appreciate what he's done, but I'm certainly not going to be upset by him going.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 11 Aug 2019 10:51

signed for Süper Lig side Denizlispor on loan for the season

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Aug 2019 11:17

A little confused by the loan. Esp if teams have offered money for him

Can only assume there is a sizeable loan fee

A little sad to see him go, he has done Reading a big service - arguably keeping us up 2 years in a row. Any bad feeling towards him is massively misjudged imo. But if he fancied a new challenge etc then fair enough

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Aug 2019 11:38

Hound A little confused by the loan. Esp if teams have offered money for him

A little sad to see him go, he has done Reading a big service - arguably keeping us up 2 years in a row. Any bad feeling towards him is massively misjudged imo. But if he fancied a new challenge etc then fair enough

I’m disappointed to see him go. He has played a huge part in our staying up over the past couple of seasons. We cannot do much about it though. It’s not as if he is no longer in the first team plans. He wants to leave so we have to accept it and move on. I have enjoyed watching him for us. He had been one of very few in recent years that I have wanted to watch

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 11 Aug 2019 15:04

Zip
Hound A little confused by the loan. Esp if teams have offered money for him

I’m disappointed to see him go. He has played a huge part in our staying up over the past couple of seasons. We cannot do much about it though. It’s not as if he is no longer in the first team plans. He wants to leave so we have to accept it and move on. I have enjoyed watching him for us. He had been one of very few in recent years that I have wanted to watch

Yep, agree with this

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Aug 2019 15:21

Good luck to him.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Aug 2019 16:51

I'm a bit mixed about this.

He was brilliant 2 years ago and scored some important goals but felt he flattered to deceive last year. Maybe his heart wasn't 100% here last season.

Good luck to him. His pace could have been a useful option this season.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Aug 2019 16:14

I like Barrow. Yes he is inconsistent and can go AWOL for games at a time but he had a knack if scoring crucial goals for us.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 12 Aug 2019 17:25

True ... but given that we're not exactly flush with cash I think we probably need to save money where we can and he was one of our top earners!

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 12 Aug 2019 20:40

Exciting player on his day, most up out of their seats on their feet with him charging towards goal. Scored some vital goals too and became besties with Yak.

Can only and should only wish him the best of luck.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Aug 2019 21:26

I think on the whole Barrow has done OK here, especially considering the fee we played (certainly when you compare in today’s market). But I think he flatters to deceive on many an occasion and was massively overrated on here (to be fair I don’t blame people for this considering Stams stuff was turgid and he was the most exciting out a drab lot)

But we needed better in that position on the whole, consistency is always a problem with wingers but he was on another level

Humanistic

by Humanistic » 12 Aug 2019 21:29

Think it's a bit of a shame to be honest. Provided some real highlights in 2 seasons of struggle.

Not everything he did worked, but what I liked about him is that quite often he didn't take the 'safe option' of passing back, but tried to take people on.

I keep seeing word of him wanting out - is there actually any evidence of this?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Aug 2019 21:38

Humanistic
I keep seeing word of him wanting out - is there actually any evidence of this?

Going to Turkey on Saturday to do a tour of interested clubs rather than travelling to Hull with the rest of the squad ?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 12 Aug 2019 22:31

Humanistic asked for evidence, not an assumption

Tekkers

by Tekkers » 12 Aug 2019 22:38

Confirmed as gone with a view to signing perm in the summer. He’s wanted out for three windows running, so off you trot. We only want and need the most committed of players. Decent wages off the books too.

128 posts