888 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Aug 2019 12:39

Hendo
John Smith
Greatwesternline
Obviously i get that players miss them. But there is no excuse for them not to be aimed right in the corner of the goal. Why does any player faff about trying to send the keeper the wrong way. Practice hitting it in a corner, over and over and over. If you execute correctly, the goalie will not save it.

If you look at every other sport, you will see players executing technical things with perfect precision every time. Yes you can get it wrong sometimes, but at least you are trying to do what you intended. Why do so many player not aim for the corner? Its beyond me.

Here speaks someone who has clearly never played the game at any level ever.

Not often I agree with JS, but I feel myself agreeing on this.

Aiming for the corners each time would 100% result in more missed penalties as the margin of error is so small.

Thing is, it doesn't have to be right in the tiniest part of the bottom corner. Most of the top third of the goal is almost guaranteed to go in and that's a pretty huge area to aim at.

Any Championship player willing to put the hours in with proper training could become a penalty scoring machine if they sacked off trying to send the keeper the wrong way, going for pure power or hitting it low.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Aug 2019 12:41

Greatwesternline
Hendo
John Smith Here speaks someone who has clearly never played the game at any level ever.

Aiming for the corners each time would 100% result in more missed penalties as the margin of error is so small.

The margin of error in kicking the ball a small distance, should not be very big. It is very repeatable action. Kicking the ball within reach of the keeper seems equally risky.

Not when there is a 50/50 chance of the keeper going the other way.

If you aim for a side of the goal, miss-hit it and the 'keeper goes the wrong way, the ball is going in. If you do that but aim for the corners, there is a greater chance of the ball hitting the post or going wide.

You could say that anything in sport is a repeatable action, but humans play sport, not machines so things don't always happen the same, which is why players will take a safer option.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Aug 2019 12:46

Hendo
Greatwesternline
Hendo

The margin of error in kicking the ball a small distance, should not be very big. It is very repeatable action. Kicking the ball within reach of the keeper seems equally risky.

If you aim for a side of the goal, miss-hit it and the 'keeper goes the wrong way, the ball is going in. If you do that but aim for the corners, there is a greater chance of the ball hitting the post or going wide.

You could say that anything in sport is a repeatable action, but humans play sport, not machines so things don't always happen the same, which is why players will take a safer option.

If you're mishitting pens you shouldn't be taking them.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 20 Aug 2019 12:47

Hendo
Greatwesternline
Hendo

I just think, if you are a gymnast who can practice a back flip on a beam so many times that you almost never fall off. It can't be too much to ask a footballer to practice a technique so often that they can always put the ball in a corner of a goal from a stationary ball where they choose their run up.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Aug 2019 12:57

Greatwesternline Every pen should be hitting the side netting as it goes in. No idea why footballers attempt anything else. Its a very very repeatable mechanical action, they should be perfect at it.

In simple terms, the fact that no professional footballer has achieved this theoretical feat suggests that it's not as easy as you suggest.

Agree that standards could probably be higher but expecting perfection is unrealistic. Messi is probably the greatest player to ever play the game and he has a 75% success rate. Truly great penalty takers like Le Tissier or Rickie Lambert are very rare. There's obviously a bit more to it than "just put it in the side netting".

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 20 Aug 2019 13:03

genome
Old Man Andrews Jonathan Low getting some serious stick on Twitter, notably from Yakou Meite. Labelled the racist comments as "alleged".

It's a silly outrage deflecting from the seriousness of the actual issue. Journalists are taught to tweet "alleged" from a legal perspective.

Total horseshit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49404456

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 20 Aug 2019 13:09

SCIAG
Greatwesternline Every pen should be hitting the side netting as it goes in. No idea why footballers attempt anything else. Its a very very repeatable mechanical action, they should be perfect at it.

In simple terms, the fact that no professional footballer has achieved this theoretical feat suggests that it's not as easy as you suggest.

Agree that standards could probably be higher but expecting perfection is unrealistic. Messi is probably the greatest player to ever play the game and he has a 75% success rate. Truly great penalty takers like Le Tissier or Rickie Lambert are very rare. There's obviously a bit more to it than "just put it in the side netting".

I totally expect them to get it wrong sometimes, miss the other side of the post, put it slightly too close to the keeper. I'm just bemused at the number of penalties where the player deliberately chooses to place the ball in a part of the goal, where the keeper could get it as long as he chooses to go there.

The strategy of a pen taker should be, where can't the keeper get to. That's what i'll aim for. They should be able to get it where they are aiming most of the time.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Aug 2019 14:28

Pretty sure if a keeper knows where the ball is going, they’ll save it more often than not. If you just keep practising hitting the ball in the same spot, the keeper will obvs scout it out and know exactly where it’s going

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 20 Aug 2019 14:37

Hound Pretty sure if a keeper knows where the ball is going, they’ll save it more often than not. If you just keep practising hitting the ball in the same spot, the keeper will obvs scout it out and know exactly where it’s going

There's some very interesting (to some of us!) analysis done here on the best places to put a penalty.

https://www.thestatszone.com/archive/st ... alty-13886

Conclusions from the analysis - top third of the goal is high risk, high reward. i.e., keeper is less likely to save it, but taker is more likely to hit woodwork or miss altogether. Percentage of total scored is lower than other options

Best scoring rates - straight down the middle - i.e., exactly where Meite placed it!

However, that's partly because keepers mostly dive one way or the other. If the keeper knows Meite usually puts it straight down the middle, he'll stay where he is.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Aug 2019 14:40

he definitely didn't put it straight down the middle...

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 20 Aug 2019 14:58

Hound he definitely didn't put it straight down the middle...

didn't he? I've obviously mixed it up in my head with some other penalty - I haven't seen any replays.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 20 Aug 2019 15:02

To the keeper's left, about 2 foot from the post and 2 foot off the ground.
In other words, if the goalie guesses the right way, he saves it.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 20 Aug 2019 15:09

Platypuss To the keeper's left, about 2 foot from the post and 2 foot off the ground.

Over 92% success rate there according to the stats.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Aug 2019 15:16

muirinho
Platypuss To the keeper's left, about 2 foot from the post and 2 foot off the ground.

Typical of us to have the 8% taking our pens....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Aug 2019 18:57

muirinho

Surprising seeing as that's basically perfect save height and width.

I'd argue the top third is only high risk, because the players don't put the time in to get their technique right to do it reliably. Those that get blazed over clearly aren't from people, for the most part, who are well practiced in placing a penalty in that area consistently.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Aug 2019 14:11

For all of those Twitter users, you will be very familiar with Gabriel Sutton (@_FootbalLab) who writes for several pages including Bet Victor.

Way, way over-respected by anyone on Twitter purely because he posts about lower league teams who otherwise get no coverage. Claims to have knowledge on Rochdale left-backs and up-coming reserve players in League 2. The bloke is about 20 - wet behind the ears, clueless and bases all opinions without foundation based on general knowledge from other fan groups. Needless to say Olly from The Tilehurst End is right in there with him. Embarassing. Never played the game at any level. Has to go!

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 22 Aug 2019 15:23

John Smith For all of those Twitter users, you will be very familiar with Gabriel Sutton (@_FootbalLab) who writes for several pages including Bet Victor.

Way, way over-respected by anyone on Twitter purely because he posts about lower league teams who otherwise get no coverage. Claims to have knowledge on Rochdale left-backs and up-coming reserve players in League 2. The bloke is about 20 - wet behind the ears, clueless and bases all opinions without foundation based on general knowledge from other fan groups. Needless to say Olly from The Tilehurst End is right in there with him. Embarassing. Never played the game at any level. Has to go!

I would understand your concern if he was going around stabbing people, but the kid is doing no harm. Why you so angry?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Aug 2019 15:38

Oilroyal
John Smith For all of those Twitter users, you will be very familiar with Gabriel Sutton (@_FootbalLab) who writes for several pages including Bet Victor.

Way, way over-respected by anyone on Twitter purely because he posts about lower league teams who otherwise get no coverage. Claims to have knowledge on Rochdale left-backs and up-coming reserve players in League 2. The bloke is about 20 - wet behind the ears, clueless and bases all opinions without foundation based on general knowledge from other fan groups. Needless to say Olly from The Tilehurst End is right in there with him. Embarrassing. Never played the game at any level. Has to go!

I would understand your concern if he was going around stabbing people, but the kid is doing no harm. Why you so angry?

I think it's the fact he claims to know the ins and outs of the most obscure Football League players, without any foundation for his opinion. And like I say because he is giving lesser spoken about clubs some attention, they lap it up give him creedence. It's not so much a beef with him per se, more with those who praise him SimfromBucks. Ya heard?

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 22 Aug 2019 15:45

John Smith
Oilroyal

Way, way over-respected by anyone on Twitter purely because he posts about lower league teams who otherwise get no coverage. Claims to have knowledge on Rochdale left-backs and up-coming reserve players in League 2. The bloke is about 20 - wet behind the ears, clueless and bases all opinions without foundation based on general knowledge from other fan groups. Needless to say Olly from The Tilehurst End is right in there with him. Embarrassing. Never played the game at any level. Has to go!

I think it's the fact he claims to know the ins and outs of the most obscure Football League players, without any foundation for his opinion. And like I say because he is giving lesser spoken about clubs some attention, they lap it up give him creedence. It's not so much a beef with him per se, more with those who praise him SimfromBucks. Ya heard?

You really don't like the guys at TTE do you John? Have you thought about doing a piece for them to "show 'em how it's done"?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Aug 2019 15:55

Tilehurstsouthbank
John Smith
Oilroyal

You really don't like the guys at TTE do you John? Have you thought about doing a piece for them to "show 'em how it's done"?

In order to know that what he writes is wrong then presumably you have an intimate knowledge of Rochdale left backs and Div 2 reserves ? Otherwise how can you judge him ?
Presumably you've also played the game at a high level ? Not that this is of any relevance. Just look at the TV pundits who have played at the highest level yet talk rubbish, or the great writers who have never played yet can talk sensibly about the game. Playing a game and talking about it are two totally different skills, some can do both but plenty can do one and not the other.
Others just like trolling on the internet of course !!

888 posts