MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (a) sponsored by as hard as it gets

246 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (a) sponsored by as hard as it gets

by Hound » 21 Aug 2019 14:00

Advice for away supporters on the official for tonight's game:

With forecast low temperatures of 13°C this evening, it should be a pleasant night at The Hawthorns - but bring a coat for when it gets colder later on.

We really can't get any more middle class can we?

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 21 Aug 2019 14:14

Perhaps some sensible cords, a gilet and cravat?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Aug 2019 14:17

comfortable shoes a must, as you might have to climb some stairs to get in the ground. Make sure you visit the toilet before you leave as its quite a long journey up

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Aug 2019 15:01

I’m aware of the tiny data set (and said so) but it ISN’T all down to the Cardiff game.

Perhaps we amassed stats even though we lost against Wednesday, the team currently top of the league, and apart from the dumb start and a horrible keeper-error goal away at Hull, we played very well, had a few first-half chances and totally dominated the second half.

As I said, the Cardiff game taken alone puts us in a different class to WBA’s first four games.

And NO we can’t talk averages for RFC yet because the team has been transformed since the Chelsea/Peterborough games.

We finally have a big target man, a MUCH better, confident keeper, three VERY good CBS, two very decent wing backs who seem to relish the position, a CDM who has pedigree and seems to know what he’s doing, two excellent, play-making, extremely skilful midfielders in Ejaria (8.8 ) and Swift (an outrageous 9.1) who also did well defensively.

Then add in an 8 million “steal”, Puscas who scored 18 in 25 at under 23 level for his country and looks absolutely top notch at this level with three goals in two games.

That 3-0 (could’ve been 5-0) didn’t look remotely like a flash in the pan. It looked thought out, solid, confident, and, in the end, thoroughly deserved.

It’s like we played the reserves in games 1 and 2 and now we’ve put the first team out.

Virginia, Rhino, Barrett, Olise, Meite, Loader and Adam played in game 1

Virginia, Rhino, Meite, Adam played in game 2 where Pelé, Joao and Puscas were blooded and Morrison got a couple of minutes

In game 3 Rafael started, Morrison started, Ejaria started (and was amazing), Pele, Boyé, Puscas and João started.

That is SIX newer, better players than in game 1

So Game 4 compared to Game 1

A new system
Moore back to left
Miazga right
Morrison adding “calm”

Rafael
Morrison
Pelé
Ejaria
João
Puscas

That is SIX players added

So Meite, Loader, Baldock, Novakovich, Rhino, Barrett, Olise, Adam,
McIntyre, Blackett, Obita, Virginia,

Have all shifted to the bench

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Aug 2019 15:19

Snowball I’m aware of the tiny data set (and said so) but it ISN’T all down to the Cardiff game.

Perhaps we amassed stats even though we lost against Wednesday, the team currently top of the league, and apart from the dumb start and a horrible keeper-error goal away at Hull, we played very well, had a few first-half chances and totally dominated the second half.

As I said, the Cardiff game taken alone puts us in a different class to WBA’s first four games.

And NO we can’t talk averages for RFC yet because the team has been transformed since the Chelsea/Peterborough games.

We finally have a big target man, a MUCH better, confident keeper, three VERY good CBS, two very decent wing backs who seem to relish the position, a CDM who has pedigree and seems to know what he’s doing, two excellent, play-making, extremely skilful midfielders in Ejaria (8.8 ) and Swift (an outrageous 9.1) who also did well defensively.

Then add in an 8 million “steal”, Puscas who scored 18 in 25 at under 23 level for his country and looks absolutely top notch at this level with three goals in two games.

That 3-0 (could’ve been 5-0) didn’t look remotely like a flash in the pan. It looked thought out, solid, confident, and, in the end, thoroughly deserved.

It’s like we played the reserves in games 1 and 2 and now we’ve put the first team out.

Virginia, Rhino, Barrett, Olise, Meite, Loader and Adam played in game 1

Virginia, Rhino, Meite, Adam played in game 2 where Pelé, Joao and Puscas were blooded and Morrison got a couple of minutes

In game 3 Rafael started, Morrison started, Ejaria started (and was amazing), Pele, Boyé, Puscas and João started.

That is SIX newer, better players than in game 1

So Game 4 compared to Game 1

A new system
Moore back to left
Miazga right
Morrison adding “calm”

Rafael
Morrison
Pelé
Ejaria
João
Puscas

That is SIX players added

So Meite, Loader, Baldock, Novakovich, Rhino, Barrett, Olise, Adam,
McIntyre, Blackett, Obita, Virginia,

Have all shifted to the bench

Not denying any of this. But you're comparing our scores to WBA, who similarly have made late signings and are starting to gel. If you go down the route of comparing sides, which is what you're now doing, they have the lot. Proven experience and goals in Zohore and Austin. Younger, bright talents like Sawyers and their loanees. I think we'll be top half, but we are travelling to a top team who have an excellent squad at this level. I don't think now is a good stage in the season to compare average ratings.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 Aug 2019 15:30

WestYorksRoyal But it's a relatively young team who are learning to play together; I fully expect inconsistency and some bafflingly poor performances to go against games like Sunday.

Well, sure. And you can have that happen with an old, experienced team too.
Yep, agree, there may be inconsistencies with young players. It wouldn't be a surprise. But now he can rotate.
A young team also has the opportunity to improve. Doesn't always pan out that way, but it has the scope to.
One thing about this div is that if/when you have a 'poor performance', the next game is right around the corner, and so you have the opportunity to bounce back quickly rather than dwell on it.
Very long season ahead, and hopefully we have the depth now to help navigate thru it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Aug 2019 15:35

I like your optimism Snowball, but I really do want to see us perform like Cardiff for a few more games at least, before I start jumping in with how good the side is

We're still not particularly proven. Joao has never been first choice for long, Puscas is new to England, Ejaria has had one fairly good half season, Swift is an injury or loss of confidence away from being peripheral again, Meite is emotional and up and down in form, Miazga has played 20 odd games in England, Rafael has had one English league game etc...

there's still plenty that could go wrong

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 21 Aug 2019 15:53

Hound Puscas is new to England, Ejaria has had one fairly good half season, Swift is an injury or loss of confidence away from being peripheral again, Meite is emotional and up and down in form, Miazga has played 20 odd games in England, Rafael has had one English league game etc...

One hell of a team

just repeat their names again

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 21 Aug 2019 15:56

Just on my way up now. Anybody else going? So far been to every game this season. Don't think many others can match my dedication.

Urz!!!
Last edited by The Enfield Royal71 on 21 Aug 2019 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Aug 2019 15:59

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Aug 2019 16:02

Hound https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/high-quality-what-reading-make-16792290

:)

They know this is a parody site right?

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 21 Aug 2019 16:09

Few Reading fans floating about up here already.

Suppose the STAR types will arrive about an hour before.

Place is as always a shit hole, but enjoying the best all day breakfast I think I've ever had. Lovely beer too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Aug 2019 16:11

StellaPlease Few Reading fans floating about up here already.

Place is as always a shit hole, but enjoying the best all day breakfast I think I've ever had. Lovely beer too.

DD's on his way up. Sure he can provide you with some cracking company

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 21 Aug 2019 16:14

Hound
StellaPlease Few Reading fans floating about up here already.

DD's on his way up. Sure he can provide you with some cracking company

What personality is he being today?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Aug 2019 16:23

Hound I like your optimism Snowball, but I really do want to see us perform like Cardiff for a few more games at least, before I start jumping in with how good the side is

We're still not particularly proven. Joao has never been first choice for long, Puscas is new to England, Ejaria has had one fairly good half season, Swift is an injury or loss of confidence away from being peripheral again, Meite is emotional and up and down in form, Miazga has played 20 odd games in England, Rafael has had one English league game etc...

there's still plenty that could go wrong

I don't call this "optimism" and I can imagine us getting thrashed at The Hawthorns
even if we are as good as I think we are

I am just looking at the player-on-player changes since Game 1

Keeper - so much better it's laughable

CBs - Moore, still under his par, but playing on his better side, Miazga improving, SEVENTEEN headed clearances on Sunday, Morrison, "Mr Solid" a calming influence... The whole? Looked like it could eat crosses for fun.

WBs. I think both the shirt-holders are better WBs than FBs and seem to enjoy it. The 3/5 at the back helps them and leaves us less exposed (compared to FBs way up field in a 442)... Richards can still improve a lot.

We have the DM we've been asking for, Ejaria is just GREAT, and Swift (over his injury?) has been set free to attack - and in front the big target man we've been asking for, and Puscas who just looks too good for this league.

I didn't go into the league thinking we were relegation fodder, but the improvements have been HUGE.

It's not just the result v Cardiff, but the whole feel, the joy, the passion, the tackles won, the sheer spirit, and that after a great second half at Hull. Whatever tonight's result (and YES we could lose 3-0) this is a great first eleven and a squad with real depth. I will be shocked if we are not top ten. I expect us to be much better than that

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 21 Aug 2019 16:33

WestYorksRoyal
StellaPlease Without this stupid red button nonsense it would be more. It's really effecting midweek attendances.

Maybe I'm a fairweather fan, but midweek away games can be hard to balance with work and other commitments. It's great to be able to follow these games through other means. My decision to attend matches or not has only ever been based on time and money factors; I can't think of a single match where the availability to watch it on TV has affected me as, ultimately, watching on TV is nowhere near as good as the real thing.

Big +1.

I couldn't give two hoots if it is on TV. That wouldn't affect my decision to attend the game.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Aug 2019 17:15

Agreed. The ‘red button’ lets me watch 6 or 7 games I wouldn’t be able to get to watch otherwise so it gets a thumbs up from me

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Aug 2019 17:50

Hound Agreed. The ‘red button’ lets me watch 6 or 7 games I wouldn’t be able to get to watch otherwise so it gets a thumbs up from me

Given how far I travel, it sometimes makes it easier to decide I can't make it if I'm I'll, injured or we're really really shit.

For example, I was toying with the idea of going to Cardiff even though it wouldn't be a good idea.

But that's about it.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 21 Aug 2019 17:58

Entered the ground from the road entrance ,which they then closed coming out.
Ended up walking back to the car through the back streets.
Good old fashioned stadium,great atmosphere.
This game last year finished Walker as a serious proposition between the sticks.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 21 Aug 2019 18:25

Notts Royal I reckon (and I hope) Gomes will drop out either Swift or Ejaria for Rinomhota to be slightly more defensive tonight.

As long as Rino is used regularly enough throughout the season, I’m happy! Too much of a talent to not be utilised

Not a chance unless he thinks we need fresh legs after outstanding performances from both of them against Cardiff, including doing their share of breaking up attacks in midfield. He's playing 3 at the back partly to give his creative midfield the confidence to play their natural game and long may it continue.

246 posts