BFTG WBA

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

BFTG WBA

by URZZZZ » 21 Aug 2019 22:42

Played well from minutes 10-80. Gomes deserves credit for the way we were set up tonight, but I think he’s made the wrong choice of subs which ultimately let us down

Rafael 8 - good handling throughout, one great save minute 60ish

Yiadom 7 - played well first half, given the run around a bit second half. He needs to pick up the ball more and run at the defence because he’s effective when he does
MMM 9 - all three played so well, Morrison is fast becoming one of my favourite players
Richards 7 - some useful clearances and generally held Phillips well but in West Brom’s dominant spells, too many crosses were coming in from the right and I thought he could have done more offensively

Pele 5 - poor. A few good tackles aside, he’s too slow on the ball
Swift 6 - started well but died off a bit. Like Pele, he needs to move the ball on quicker at times
Ejaria 7 - felt the midfield trio were slightly overrun all evening. On the whole he did well, but too many runners ran off him and Swift. Sometimes he can learn by releasing the ball quicker rather than turning in and out twenty times before releasing the ball. He’s clearly got talent though and that’s backed up by a fantastic strike. Penalty was his error but he should hold his head high

Boye 6 - carried the ball forward well but shouldn’t have lasted more than 55, was a liability for 10 or so minutes
Puscas 6 - needs a bigger partner, isolated

Joao 6 - did well for the goal but some poor touches
Rino 6 - carried the ball forward well, should have been on earlier
Adam 5 - poor up until their goal and then he chirped in with a few tackles

Gomes 7 - ultimately he’s got us a point against one of the best teams in the league. The Rino sub should have been on for Swift/Ejaria though IMO because we dropped off deeper and deeper and ultimately the goal was inevitable

Ref certainly favoured the away team throughout. Didn’t get a great view of their pen from the other end but the one in the 5th minute or so was a stonewall IMO. Not complaining though

Atmosphere and attendance wasn’t bad. A few grumbles when we had a period of possession in the first half but all in all was good

West Brom looked extremely dangerous on the two flanks. Austin didn’t look match fit though and was a serious weak point for them

Onto Huddersfield and would bring Rino and Joao in for Pele and Boye. Pele looks OK on the whole but he needs to release the ball quicker
Last edited by URZZZZ on 21 Aug 2019 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG WBA

by windermereROYAL » 21 Aug 2019 22:46

Some poor points there for what was a very good performance IMO.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

BFT Red Button

by Westwood52 » 21 Aug 2019 22:50

Very good result.For the first ten minutes I thought we were playing Real Madrid,then we settled down and created the better chances,in the 1st half.Then started well 2nd half.Our lack of match fitness then told.We will get even better.
IMHO

Rafael 7 No problems very impressive.
Yiadom 7 Another solid performance,but then ran out of gas,when he got into their penalty area late on.
Meitner 8 Very solid.
Morrison 8 Has made a huge difference to our organisation at the back.
Moore 6 A couple of poor passes let down,a solid performance.
Gomez 8 Never put a foot wrong.Comfortable on the ball,and tracked back really well.My MOM.
Swift 6 Overun and not really effective.
Ejaria 6 Would be a 9 But for the pen.Different class.
Puskas 4 Wasted chances and looked very average
Boxes 7 Another class act.Good feet

Jao Not fit and little mobility.
Rino Took him 5 minutes to get into the game,then a trademark run
Adam WTF !!!

Apart from the yellow card for Yiadom was very good.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFT Red Button

by Westwood52 » 21 Aug 2019 22:52

Apart from the Yiadom yellow card Ref was very good and I don’t say that very often.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Aug 2019 22:53

windermereROYAL Some poor points there for what was a very good performance IMO.

I thought from minutes 10-35 we were superb, but the midfield three were too slow on the ball for some parts of the game, Pele especially

The strikers both did OK, but they both lacked a physical presence up front with them. Both would work well with Joao but not sure they were a great partnership

Fullbacks I was harsh on so duly edited, but there were a lot of crosses flying in the first 10 and last 10 minutes of the game

Centre back trio were simply terrific and deserved a clean sheet

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Aug 2019 22:55

Westwood52 Very good result.For the first ten minutes I thought we were playing Real Madrid,then we settled down and created the better chances,in the 1st half.Then started well 2nd half.Our lack of match fitness then told.We will get even better.
IMHO

Rafael 7 No problems very impressive.
Yiadom 7 Another solid performance,but then ran out of gas,when he got into their penalty area late on.
Meitner 8 Very solid.
Morrison 8 Has made a huge difference to our organisation at the back.
Moore 6 A couple of poor passes let down,a solid performance.
Gomez 8 Never put a foot wrong.Comfortable on the ball,and tracked back really well.My MOM.
Swift 6 Overun and not really effective.
Ejaria 6 Would be a 9 But for the pen.Different class.
Boxes 7 Another class act.Good feet

Jao Not fit and little mobility.
Rino Took him 5 minutes to get into the game,then a trademark run
Adam WTF !!!

Apart from the yellow card for Yiadom was very good.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Aug 2019 23:09

That was a very accomplished performance against a team that will be in the top six and chasing automatic. For the most part matched them and then some but felt a draw was a fair result.

In the second half we were under the cosh a bit and we were crying out for Joao to come on and go two up top to give us an outlet and assert some pressure in their half. Whilst I agreed with that change I felt we reverted to a more defensive shape a little too soon and wouldn’t have brought Rino on so quickly. If I wasn’t 100% convinced on that the Adam substitution was completely wrong. It changed the shape again and even though he wasn’t directly at fault, in fact I thought he did okish, it just gave an impetus to WBA. No qualms with the penalty, stupid challenge but he scored the goal so it is what it is. I think West Brom could feel aggrieved re some of those penalty shouts, hard to see from the stand but felt we got away with a couple - maybe someone who watched on red button could chime in with different views?

That all being said, it was a very good battling performance and there’s so much grounds for optimism! If we play like that we’ll beat a lot of teams. Albion have loads of quality, they defended very well all over the park. Good point against a good side. Fans were great too - really good turn out. Beer was fcuking awful though.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 21 Aug 2019 23:25

Pele is alright by me.

Still fitting into the system and was more often in the right place to intercept. Slowed the game down when it needed to be and usually picked the right pass.

Will improve.

Boye looked lively up front and is always looking to turn. Will also be an asset as the season Progresses

biff

by biff » 21 Aug 2019 23:30

Everyone 7-8 barring Adam. Him coming on is just a red rag to a bull, "please come and run easily past our old competition winner in midfield."

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Aug 2019 23:44

Leaving out Joao was surprising, but Boye looked dangerous.

Tonight was our real test and we passed with flying colours.

All our players were basically very good but here we were basically up against pretty much a PL team, away from home.

A 1-1 draw away was a VERY good result and probably fair.

Against most other teams these players would be getting 9s and 10s.

I'm very very very excited by this team and wish I was allowed to bet more at 3/1 that we'd finish top half. Now the best you can get is 9/4. Screw top half, we should be playoff contenders.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 21 Aug 2019 23:47

Still favourites for relegation but I think we're about to overtake Wigan :lol:

alfie9

by alfie9 » 21 Aug 2019 23:50

Rafael - 7: Solid

Moore/Miazga/Morrison - 6: There were times tonight where we were under heavy pressure and you could tell a bit of miscommunication is occurring, but it's a brand new system and they have all performed admirably for the last 2 games. I love the Morrison signing. The guy is a leader and vocal on the pitch. Something we have been desperately lacking.

Yiadom - 5: Some heavy touches tonight, looked tired. Kind of concerned about depth at wing back now that the full backs are playing a more demanding role. Rino may have to fill in occasionally.

Richards - 6: Above average, he is figuring his role out quickly. Definitely our first choice LB

Pele - 6: Alright. I'm sure as his fitness goes up he'll improve. Good player.

Ejaria - 8: Despite the pen he deserves MOTM, brilliant again at creating space, played some brilliant passes (Puscas would've been 1-on-1 with a better touch), well taken goal. Ace. Just don't slide in the box next time :wink:

Swift - 6: Got a little worn out as the game progressed but still playing with confidence. Brum did a good job closing him down.

Boye - 7: Good movement, good first touch, looked good in the new system

Puscas - 5: An average performance from an unfit player who played almost 2 full games in 5 days. Should've come off instead of Boye. Just to clarify he is still God's gift to football but he's not yet ready to do 3 full games in a week. Will score and recieve a 9 at Huddersfield.

Joao/Rinomhota - 6: Did their jobs effectively

Adam - 3: What is the point of him

Gomes - 7: Good game plan, conceding was more on the players than the manager. Please play the academy off the bench and leave Charlie at home, thanks

We will beat Huddersfield. Ejaria will net us 30 million in two years.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Aug 2019 23:50

Westwood52 Gomez 8 Never put a foot wrong.Comfortable on the ball,and tracked back really well.My MOM.

Gomes is going to be the player we debate about all season for sure. 1) because he has displaced our beloved Rino 2) because he dares to have a nickname and the club bizarrely use it even though apparently the EFL have asked us not to and 3) because he's one of those players who just gets on and does his thing allowing the others to push ahead.

Puskas was clearly kept under very tight control and again we'll probably be debating him a bit all season too, wondering why he's not wonderkid every single game. Against most other teams this will mean a lot of chances for whoever accompanies him and Swift/Ejaria. WBA were very very good tonight though and did their job brilliantly.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Aug 2019 00:07

Overall decent performance and would have taken 1-1 all day long before kick off. But feels a bit disappointing to drop 2 points now.

Rafa 7 - actually had nothing to do in the first half. Looked like a really good save in the second but was largely untroubled (a sign of a solid defensive display in front of him)
Yiadom 7 - not his best game, but Miazga had his back covered when caught too far upfield
Miazga 7 - can remember one mistake in the second half. Otherwise solid and good cover to Yiadom
Moore 7 - couple of good blocks
Morrison 8 - MotM for me. Just seem to swallow up any crosses and balls into the box. Looks like a great organiser for the whole back line
Richards 7 - he did OK against Phillips who must be one of the best wingers in the league. Ejaria and Moore helped him out a lot in the overlaps by Furlong too, after the first 5-10 mins

Pele 7 - I thought he was quietly effective and showed good commitment throughout. He’s probably more skilful than people think (and quicker) and I think he could become a very handy player once he’s more up to speed with the style and pace of the Championship
Swift 7 - pretty decent and some decent passes, especially first half. Looks much fitter and sharper and was surprised he was substituted.
Ejaria 7 - again some great skills. Would have been an 8 for the goal, but rash tackle brings him down to a 7. Glad he’s back though.

Boye 6 - looked quite sharp, decent turn of pace and a nice first touch and turn. Took a while to get into the game and realise how much work he needed to get through defensively. Once he switched on and figured out his role then did OK. A good looking option to have. But did not track back once when Richards was ahead of him and they broke down our left. Just walked back to the half way line
Puscas 5 - after the Lord Mayor’s Show. A bit isolated but didn’t work hard enough for me and didn’t really rotate much with Boye which made life easy for Bartley and Ajayi to largely mark him out of the game. Took one shot in the second half from a silly angle when he probably should have tried finding Boye in the 6 yd box

Joao 5 - didn’t do much and lacks a bit of work ethic, especially when clinging on to a narrow lead. Not yet convinced.
Rino 5 - didn’t do anything wrong and worked hard to try to defend the lead
Adam 3 - why bring him on? Looks like he fancies himself as a bit of a hard man as well. Couple of heavy challenges on their sub (Pereira?)

Ref - let a lot go I thought but pretty decent overall. Haven’t really got an opinion on most of the penalty shouts, but the early one in the first half (Richards I think) looked a good shout and is a case of definitely seen them given.

West Brom - full backs played very advanced roles and caused lots of problems with Yiadom and Richards being overloaded 2 in 1. But no quality end products from the wide areas, just hopeful balls into the box. Think their supporters are starting to realise how good Gayle and Rodriguez were for them last season. Should be play off contenders but can see Bilic getting the heave ho before the end of the season.

Take the point and hopefully we can continue to play well and get a win at ‘Uddersfield

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 22 Aug 2019 00:39

Morrison, Signing of the summer.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 22 Aug 2019 04:06

Before the game, I’d have taken a point. At half time I would have been disappointed with anything but three points. At full time I was happy with a point.

I know we scored first and it might feel like two points dropped, but I had my heart in my throat more times when they were threatening than vice versa. The Baggies showed some very adept close-in play in our 18 yard box that was just heart-stopping.

But give our new boys some more time and I think we’ll see some more superb play in the final third.

A very good point. A point gained.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Aug 2019 06:33

I’m convinced we’ll have a top half season after that, for periods we were exceptionally good and outplayed a strong WBA side

Fair play to WBA, they kept going and eventually took advantage of our fatigue. Their 2 CBS were excellent and Sawyers is a class player

Rafael did well, our 3 CBs looked very solid, and we should keep plenty of clean sheets

Yiadom and Richards did pretty well up against tough opponents

Midfield were superb first half but Sawyers particularly found more gaps as the game went on

Puscas didn’t get much of a kick but still got in good positions and Boye played well without threatening

I’d have rather seen Loader brought on than Adam as felt we needed more energy and pace in the midfield than Adam could offer

Need to get recovered quickly for Udders as it’s a very winnable game. Certainly be disappointed with a defeat there

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Aug 2019 07:43

Re: WBA being ‘unlucky’ with earlier penalty shouts. Sky commentator reckoned ref had a very good game and that had there been #VAR they would’ve told him he had got the earlier decisions re penalties correct.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Aug 2019 08:02

Thoroughly entertaining game. Finally we have a style of play that's effective. Draw a fair result.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Aug 2019 08:05

URZZZZ
windermereROYAL Some poor points there for what was a very good performance IMO.

I thought from minutes 10-35 we were superb, but the midfield three were too slow on the ball for some parts of the game, Pele especially

The strikers both did OK, but they both lacked a physical presence up front with them. Both would work well with Joao but not sure they were a great partnership

Fullbacks I was harsh on so duly edited, but there were a lot of crosses flying in the first 10 and last 10 minutes of the game

Centre back trio were simply terrific and deserved a clean sheet

But did you think any of our midfielders were a bit slow to release the ball? :wink: