Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

5577 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Aug 2019 08:53

Sutekh
From Despair To Where? Aldershot in 92 would be the last time it happened on the league. But that was two thirds of the way through the season.

I seem to remember Newport County finishing a season using youth players to fulfil fixtures before folding but I've never seen a club starting the season with half a first team or being unable to fulfil fixtures from the start of the season.

I can't see either club surviving. The bloke at Bury is clearly manufacturing this situation and the time for a white knight to ride into Bolton was 5 years ago.

Think 92 also saw Maidstone go under just before the season started. Reading got a bye in the league cup as a result.

Looking into it, Maidstone postponed their opening league fixture prior to resigning from the league. Their position was worse than Bury's though. They had no ground, no fans and 2 players.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Aug 2019 09:58

The Enfield Royal71 Never before in my lifetime can I remember a club being removed from a professional league. I remember teams like boston, Scarborough and rushden and diamonds but I'm sure they got relegated before to non-league.

Read some hilariously stupid fb comments about bolton saying how their 17 and 18 year olds should suck it up and play because messi and Ronaldo used to play aged 17 and 18 :roll:

It will be interesting to see what penalty Bolton get (if they survive) as a result of cancelling the game last night. I believe they have even quoted the Football Leagues own rule at them which states players under 17 should be restricted to 1 game per week - as around half the squad being named at the moment is 16 or 17 they can argue if they follow this rule, they had to cancel the game.

The EFL have a lot of questions to answer here, they really shouldn't have let Bolton start the season in their current state or set a deadline for the deal to be completed as the integrity of the competition is already damaged this year. Think the Accrington chairman has said, what happens if Tranmere stay up on GD over them due to the 5-0 win against Bolton u18s whilst teams later in the year may well play a stronger first team.

As for Bury, the guy in charge there has a history of putting companies out of business by all accounts. Looks like Bury could be another one. As mentioned, could well be looking at the cost of the land being worth more than maintaining a lower league club. Who knows but his actions don't look like those of someone really wanting to sell and allow the club to move on.

Royalist

by Royalist » 21 Aug 2019 10:29

Bolton missed two games last year with zero punishment as of yet. It's hard to see how they can justify any more games off for either side.

Something tells me fans of theirs would enjoy a rise up the leagues from non league more anyway.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 21 Aug 2019 13:28

The Enfield Royal71
Sutekh
From Despair To Where? Aldershot in 92 would be the last time it happened on the league. But that was two thirds of the way through the season.

I seem to remember Newport County finishing a season using youth players to fulfil fixtures before folding but I've never seen a club starting the season with half a first team or being unable to fulfil fixtures from the start of the season.

I can't see either club surviving. The bloke at Bury is clearly manufacturing this situation and the time for a white knight to ride into Bolton was 5 years ago.

Think 92 also saw Maidstone go under just before the season started. Reading got a bye in the league cup as a result.

I was only 2 then so cannot remember back far then.

Shall we start a crowdfunding thing to help save bury and pay the players? It would only take a quid or 5 from people here and I guarentee it would blow up. We could say its from hobnob aswell so it gives this site and us all loads of publicity and we will be doing a good thing too. Im sure that Millions of people would donate too!

already one going https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/saveburyfc

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 21 Aug 2019 13:31

WoodleyRoyal
The Enfield Royal71
Sutekh

I was only 2 then so cannot remember back far then.

Shall we start a crowdfunding thing to help save bury and pay the players? It would only take a quid or 5 from people here and I guarentee it would blow up. We could say its from hobnob aswell so it gives this site and us all loads of publicity and we will be doing a good thing too. Im sure that Millions of people would donate too!

already one going https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/saveburyfc

Jesus. 8 million.....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Aug 2019 19:26

Royalist Bolton missed two games last year with zero punishment as of yet. It's hard to see how they can justify any more games off for either side.

Something tells me fans of theirs would enjoy a rise up the leagues from non league more anyway.

And now their management team have finally had enough and resigned.

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 22 Aug 2019 08:21

Had a quick look at their forums and I don't know what's worse - those calling him a club legend when they've done nothing but piss and moan for years about his style of football whilst he kept them in the championship against all odds or those calling him a traitor and an opportunist :|

Football fans really are the worst.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 Aug 2019 08:53

Is the Bury deadline tonight at midnight or 11:59pm Friday night? I have read conflicting reports

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Aug 2019 09:54

Begs the question... what manager is going to touch Bolton until everything is sorted?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Aug 2019 15:08

An insolvencies manager at an accounting firm?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Aug 2019 08:08

9 hours left for Bury as it stands

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 23 Aug 2019 08:11

Apparently 4 offers on the table and they got till 23:59pm.

1 team will go down this season from L2 with 3 down in L1 and 4 up.

2 up from national league still which is a shame.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Aug 2019 08:23

The Enfield Royal71 Apparently 4 offers on the table and they got till 23:59pm.

If Bury go under 3 will be relegated from L1 with 4 up from L2. Most likely then only 1 would be relegated from L2 with 2 still up from the National.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Aug 2019 09:07

Sutekh

If Bury go under 3 will be relegated from L1 with 4 up from L2. Most likely then only 1 would be relegated from L2 with 2 still up from the National.

Isn’t that exactly what DD said? :lol:

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 23 Aug 2019 09:24

genome
Sutekh

Isn’t that exactly what DD said? :lol:

Yep :lol:

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Aug 2019 09:26

If Bury are no more then only 1 relegation place will be allocated to L2, 4 will rise up from L2 to L1 as usual but only 3 will go the other way.

I would expect the 2 promotion places as usual to go to the National League

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 23 Aug 2019 09:49

Winston Biscuit If Bury are no more then only 1 relegation place will be allocated to L2, 4 will rise up from L2 to L1 as usual but only 3 will go the other way.

I would expect the 2 promotion places as usual to go to the National League

:lol:

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Aug 2019 15:13

Owner now asking the public to pledge donations to try and keep the club going, which doesn't make the reported 4 takeover offers sound promising

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 23 Aug 2019 15:49

The guy is a helmet. He knows full well he has had time for this. He is trying to be a martyr but all he has done is reject all offers and wants the land. I hope somebody gives what he deserves the pcunt.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 23 Aug 2019 16:03

The Enfield Royal71 The guy is a helmet. He knows full well he has had time for this. He is trying to be a martyr but all he has done is reject all offers and wants the land. I hope somebody gives what he deserves the pcunt.

I agree. He's just holding off, let them go bust then sell the ground.

5577 posts