BFTG WBA

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG WBA

by Lower West » 22 Aug 2019 18:46

Jagermesiter1871
URZZZZ
Sanguine An on negativity in general, I particularly like the assertion in the opening post that Gomes' substitutions caused our best player to give away a penalty.

Simple really. Throughout the game we had a 5-3-2 and were pressing fairly high. The Rino for Puscas sub changed it to 5-4-1

Firstly, we had no real outlet when doing this. We weren’t keeping the ball up the pitch because Joao had no options whenever he received the ball because he didn’t have anyone near him

Secondly, it meant we were dropping deeper and deeper. We were letting West Brom play around our box and obviously when they have the quality of players like Sawyers, Pereira etc the chances are they’ll be able to break through. Which they did

I get we want to hold onto the lead but Gomes did this several times last season too. Rotherham (H), Norwich (A), Preston (H) are all examples of us dropping back too deep. Obviously the players can’t run around the pitch for 90 minutes but I think a better sub would have been Loader for Puscas. Still, it was a very good point and we did very well to even get that far

Agree with all this. Gomes eagerness to consolidate and hold onto a one goal lead or draw has cost us numerous times now. Was extremely frustrating last season

Team looked knackered on 80 minutes. Unlike WBA we had no super pacey subs to bring on at the end. If the penalty hadn't been conceded we'd all be estatic. As with Cardiff gaps would have appeared as the seconds ticked passed. One ball over the top......

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 22 Aug 2019 19:34

Had a day to reflect on last night. Thoughts are:

1) Thank you The Google / SatNav for re-routing onto the M6... and back via Watlington because of the A34 being closed.

To the important stuff:

1) Morrison - simply immense. My MOTM. Pretty much cleaned up everything in the area. Loud and vocal marshalling Miazga and Moore. Distribution decent, too. What a bargain. As a trio they are very, very effective and will get better.

2) One very decent save from Rafael and distribution much quicker with better options. A couple of very good punches, too, similar to those against Cardiff. He obviously gives the defence huge confidence.

3) Yids and Omar are becoming very, very good wing backs. I thought Richards was MOTM against Cardiff and, while he didn't quite reach those heights against the Throstles, he was still very good. Lots of running, great positional play and closing down. A bit of crossing practice needed? Yids was dead on his feet at the end. Up and down, up and down. All heart and passion and never give up.

4) Pele was better. Solid and did the important stuff simply and effectively. His awareness and reading the game is his strength. Needs to get up to the pace of the Chump, though. Got caught more than a couple of times dawdling.

5) Swift and Ejaria. I wouldn't change them for any other two centre mids in the division. Swifty just oozes class and given a fraction of time and space can open up any defence. Ovie, well, no-one sure as hell knows what he's going to do.... even if he does himself. The ball sticks to his feet and he's up there with Blakey and Robin. He could look up a little more and maybe use the ball more/quicker, but if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. Things won't always come off but the element of "what's next?" is worth the gamble.

6) Puscas - one delightful, quick thinking back heel on the edge of the box which didn't quite come off, and a rasping shot from a ridiculous angle that was hit with real venom, but he didn't work with well Boie, IMO. Maybe a hangover from Sunday - and ploughing a bit of a lone furrow - but there is certainly lots, lots more to come.

7) Boie - I was a bit "meh" about him. For someone called the "Bull" or some such nonsense, he was too easily pushed off the ball, wasn't really on the pace and didn't offer a huge amount. Much prefer Joao there causing confusion with his Ejaria-esque gangliness.

8) Joao offers something different. He has a football brain - unlike Meite - and has more of a first touch and close control - unlike Meite - but he needs to spend less time on his arse - just like Meite - and man up and use his physicality more.

Rino was decent when he came on and Adam provided the comedy moment of the night when he completely brickwalled an Albion player who flew over his shoulder. But, really, my 90 year old Ma has more pace than him....

I really hope Olise gets a run - maybe in favour of Boie - because that lad has real talent and, IMO, is the pick of all our young'uns.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Aug 2019 22:13

As Promised:

Rafael - 7 - Didnt do much wrong. Some good saves although he only had 4 shots on target to face including the penalty. Still not convinced by his long distribution.

Miazga - 7 - Won most of what came his way. Rushed forward when needed and kept composed.

Morrison - 8 - He did a great job. Really took control. I mentioned before the formation switch we have a lack of leaders and proposed would be a good shout if he could get into the team. As the central man of the 3 we are playing to his weakness too as he only has to pass to Miazga, Moore or Pele.

Moore - 7 - Slightly better this game. Won everything that came his way as I recall. A really poor pace to Richards in the first half (I think)

Yiadom - 7 - Good but was well restricted to defensive duties. Loud and organised though. Dont think hes far off the best RWB in the league.

Pele - 6? - Not sure I saw much from him we wouldn't have seen from Baker last season but with less pace, passing ability and presence. He still has to win me over. He dwells a bit too much for my taste.

Richards - 7 - Looks like hes played a lot more games than he has at this level. Cant remember any major errors or pros but West Brom defending well so it's hard to know.

Swift - 7 - Well marked out of it I thought. Didnt seem to enjoy his time without Joao helping him pivot us up the pitch.

Ejaria - 8 - Would be a 9 but a silly challenge done him in. Love the kid. Great shot. If he can do that to West Brom who else can he thump a peach in against?

Boye - 6 - Flashy but missed something I thought. Needs a bit of luck. Suffered from having to play with a like minded forward.

Puşcaş - 6 - Took his shots when they came to him but had no chance without a proper partner up front. Still. I bet West Broms defence were worried for a bit. He always looks ready to pounce.

Joao - 7 - No surprise for me that we looked better with him on. Must play.

Rinomhota - 5 - Did pretty poor but the team was so tired around him. He broke off on a run twice I think and nobody gave him options.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Aug 2019 02:00

NewCorkSeth Rinomhota - 5 - Did pretty poor but the team was so tired around him.

Rino a 5? Well, fine margins and that was a crucial sub. I wouldn’t have done it and risked a priceless 3 pts, away in this div vs that club in their park. You have to get that win across the line. At all costs. Period. There’s a time and a place, and that wasn’t it.

Coming on as a sub is not for everyone, and harder than some imagine.
Wasn’t all about him, of course, in no way shape or form. But he took a while to get in to it, which we could ill afford at that point. On the sideline, right b4 he came on he didn’t look right to me. He looked ‘cold’ and stiff as if he hadn’t properly warmed up in preparation for the inevitable cauldron that awaited him.

Will play a role this year and we need him. Just don’t think that situation showed him, at his stage of his development, on that stage, at that time, in his best light.

Btw, all the luv for Morrison enforces that you can find CB’s in this div. Shouldn’t be paying Moore what we are, and we didn’t cash in. He’s having a laugh.

He’s our leader? Well the oher two are already that after 2 games. And they are maybe playing better too. Big season for Moore. Looked a bit nervous and twitchy. Timing was off and he lacked rhythm. The other two looked more calm and composed and unhurried. Were more of a threat in the other box too.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 23 Aug 2019 08:38

PieEater I thought all WBA pen shouts were blatant dives, manufacturing contact and falling over dramatically.

For such a great bunch of lads they are surprising cheating divers.

So no different from the Meite blatant dive/manufacturering contact at Hull then?

Happens with every team - don’t like seeing it from opposition or our own players personally!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Aug 2019 09:47

StellaPlease
NewCorkSeth As Promised:

Rafael - 7 - Didnt do much wrong. Some good saves although he only had 4 shots on target to face including the penalty. Still not convinced by his long distribution.

Miazga - 7 - Won most of what came his way. Rushed forward when needed and kept composed.

Morrison - 8 - He did a great job. Really took control. I mentioned before the formation switch we have a lack of leaders and proposed would be a good shout if he could get into the team. As the central man of the 3 we are playing to his weakness too as he only has to pass to Miazga, Moore or Pele.

Moore - 7 - Slightly better this game. Won everything that came his way as I recall. A really poor pace to Richards in the first half (I think)

Yiadom - 7 - Good but was well restricted to defensive duties. Loud and organised though. Dont think hes far off the best RWB in the league.

Pele - 6? - Not sure I saw much from him we wouldn't have seen from Baker last season but with less pace, passing ability and presence. He still has to win me over. He dwells a bit too much for my taste.

Richards - 7 - Looks like hes played a lot more games than he has at this level. Cant remember any major errors or pros but West Brom defending well so it's hard to know.

Swift - 7 - Well marked out of it I thought. Didnt seem to enjoy his time without Joao helping him pivot us up the pitch.

Ejaria - 8 - Would be a 9 but a silly challenge done him in. Love the kid. Great shot. If he can do that to West Brom who else can he thump a peach in against?

Boye - 6 - Flashy but missed something I thought. Needs a bit of luck. Suffered from having to play with a like minded forward.

Puşcaş - 6 - Took his shots when they came to him but had no chance without a proper partner up front. Still. I bet West Broms defence were worried for a bit. He always looks ready to pounce.

Rinomhota - 5 - Did pretty poor but the team was so tired around him. He broke off on a run twice I think and nobody gave him options.

Where were you sat m8?

Row 1 seat A.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 23 Aug 2019 09:50

Denver Royal Btw, all the luv for Morrison enforces that you can find CB’s in this div. Shouldn’t be paying Moore what we are, and we didn’t cash in. He’s having a laugh.

He’s our leader? Well the oher two are already that after 2 games. And they are maybe playing better too. Big season for Moore. Looked a bit nervous and twitchy. Timing was off and he lacked rhythm. The other two looked more calm and composed and unhurried. Were more of a threat in the other box too.

That's very harsh on Moore. Yes, he hasn't been performing as he should since around the beginning of the year, but he's stuck with us, worked hard and, no doubt, put his heart into it.

Mozza is as much a leader, too, and that's a very good thing. Both he and Moore are and will raise each other's game - and we've seen that already.

Miazga is obviously a way behind those two. He'll get there and is dominant in the air - and it sticking out a foot against WBA - but he needs to improve his distribution and positional sense. Still, as a trio they are very good and will get much better.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Aug 2019 10:35

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth Rinomhota - 5 - Did pretty poor but the team was so tired around him.

Rino a 5? Well, fine margins and that was a crucial sub. I wouldn’t have done it and risked a priceless 3 pts, away in this div vs that club in their park. You have to get that win across the line. At all costs. Period. There’s a time and a place, and that wasn’t it.

Coming on as a sub is not for everyone, and harder than some imagine.
Wasn’t all about him, of course, in no way shape or form. But he took a while to get in to it, which we could ill afford at that point. On the sideline, right b4 he came on he didn’t look right to me. He looked ‘cold’ and stiff as if he hadn’t properly warmed up in preparation for the inevitable cauldron that awaited him.

Will play a role this year and we need him. Just don’t think that situation showed him, at his stage of his development, on that stage, at that time, in his best light.

Btw, all the luv for Morrison enforces that you can find CB’s in this div. Shouldn’t be paying Moore what we are, and we didn’t cash in. He’s having a laugh.

Rinkmhota getting a 5 shouldnt reflect too badly on him. As you say being a sub in a game like that can be a challenge. At least he is fit enough, strong enough and smart enough to not be a total mess. But he misread the game a few times. West Brom came back into it very well. I agree with the previous poster that they didnt look like scoring but they were getting into great positions (the guy with the Sane style hair who came on created some great space for them)

For me what showed most from Rinomhota was his 2 charging runs on the ball. The opposition cleverly crowded him and nobody from our side could show for him because they were too tired. Rinomhota needed to realise that and work harder at protecting the ball and retaining possession.

If it had happened in the first half I'd be furious with our team for not supporting him. Because it was so late in the game I was surprised at him instead for not understanding what was required of him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Aug 2019 12:55

NewCorkSeth
StellaPlease
NewCorkSeth As Promised:

Where were you sat m8?

Row 1 seat A.

With his Mum?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Aug 2019 13:14

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
StellaPlease
Where were you sat m8?

Row 1 seat A.

With his Mum?

Wouldn't be caught dead with her in public. I can only oxf*rd her with the lights off and blinds closed.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 23 Aug 2019 13:30

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Row 1 seat A.

With his Mum?

Wouldn't be caught dead with her in public. I can only oxf*rd her with the lights off and blinds closed.

Ian went with his mum to the last playoff final TBF.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Aug 2019 13:31

StellaPlease
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal With his Mum?

And?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Aug 2019 13:33

NewCorkSeth
StellaPlease
NewCorkSeth Wouldn't be caught dead with her in public. I can only oxf*rd her with the lights off and blinds closed.

And?

And the Swansea one.

She quite often used to come to Boxing day home games. And the Bradford FA Cup game I think.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Aug 2019 13:37

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
StellaPlease

And?

And the Swansea one.

She quite often used to come to Boxing day home games. And the Bradford FA Cup game I think.

Plastic :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Aug 2019 13:44

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth And?

And the Swansea one.

I prefer casual armchair. She's checked the result of most matches on final score or with me for over a decade. That's a degree of interest good or bad times be damned.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 23 Aug 2019 13:59

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Snowflake Royal And the Swansea one.

I prefer casual armchair. She's checked the result of most matches on final score or with me for over a decade. That's a degree of interest good or bad times be damned.

She sounds like she needs a good man.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Aug 2019 14:44

muirinho
The Enfield Royal71
Hendo
Yup!

He has genuine passion for football and the team. Something that has been lacking for years.

Oh bullshit. Are you trying to claim that Moore et al have no genuine passion for football and the team? There are very few players that really don't care. Look what us being safe from relegation meant to the players last season - even ones on loan, out of favour, or at the ends of their contracts that didn't think they'd be coming back.

Dimwit.

I don't think he's saying that. But there are different levels of caring. To some it's a job and they want us to win. To others like Moore for example he's *really* passionate about it. And for years we have just had mercenaries who don't seem to have given much of a toss. Aluko et Al. We seem to have a real hunger now that had definitely been lacking in the past few years.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 23 Aug 2019 14:52

2 world wars, 1 world cup
muirinho
The Enfield Royal71
He has genuine passion for football and the team. Something that has been lacking for years.

Oh bullshit. Are you trying to claim that Moore et al have no genuine passion for football and the team? There are very few players that really don't care. Look what us being safe from relegation meant to the players last season - even ones on loan, out of favour, or at the ends of their contracts that didn't think they'd be coming back.

Dimwit.

I don't think he's saying that. But there are different levels of caring. To some it's a job and they want us to win. To others like Moore for example he's *really* passionate about it. And for years we have just had mercenaries who don't seem to have given much of a toss. Aluko et Al. We seem to have a real hunger now that had definitely been lacking in the past few years.

Well done for not resorting to childish insults like the other poster and being mature.