Michael Morrison

Dandy Biscuits

Michael Morrison

by Dandy Biscuits » 23 Aug 2019 14:09

How good has he been so far? Can you believe that the Brummies let him go? He is the kind of signing that goes completely under the radar but can make such a huge difference at the back.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Michael Morrison

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Aug 2019 14:44

Lol. Just posted something similar in the Huddersfield match thread.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 23 Aug 2019 15:14

Dandy Biscuits How good has he been so far? Can you believe that the Brummies let him go? He is the kind of signing that goes completely under the radar but can make such a huge difference at the back.

They did t let him go. They couldn't afford to offer him the length of contract he wanted. They wanted to keep him as he was their best defender.

I hope that helps your knowledge somewhat.

Dandy Biscuits

by Dandy Biscuits » 23 Aug 2019 15:36

StellaPlease
Dandy Biscuits How good has he been so far? Can you believe that the Brummies let him go? He is the kind of signing that goes completely under the radar but can make such a huge difference at the back.

They did t let him go. They couldn't afford to offer him the length of contract he wanted. They wanted to keep him as he was their best defender.

They offered him one year (with a club option) and he signed a two year deal here. I would think that letting your best defender walk over an extra year was not a great way to run a football club. A bit short sighted, especially since they have brought in several players since.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Aug 2019 15:48

Dandy Biscuits
StellaPlease

They offered him one year (with a club option) and he signed a two year deal here. I would think that letting your best defender walk over an extra year was not a great way to run a football club. A bit short sighted, especially since they have brought in several players since.

They're a complete basket case of a club. Looks even worse than the Gourlay era.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Aug 2019 16:09

And yet we're told by those claiming to be itk that he was signed without Gomes' knowledge and wasn't wanted by him.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Aug 2019 16:42

Totally throwing it out there having only ever started one game central defence, but is there not a huge difference playing in a pair compared to a threesome?

Three defenders is a lovely situation to be playing in surely. Two, like most, and that's something entirely different surely.

Just a guess though because i know if the wingbacks are up the pitch it's basically 3 of you instead of 4., so this is a genuine question. Would he do as well in a 442? Would we drop Miazga if we reverted to this?

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 23 Aug 2019 16:45

Snowflake Royal And yet we're told by those claiming to be itk that he was signed without Gomes' knowledge and wasn't wanted by him.

That one's for you Paul.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 24 Aug 2019 01:14

[quote="Would he do as well in a 442? Would we drop Miazga if we reverted to this?[/quote]

On current form we would probably drop Moore

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 24 Aug 2019 06:52

Snowflake Royal And yet we're told by those claiming to be itk that he was signed without Gomes' knowledge and wasn't wanted by him.

I know that the people ITK are not ITK.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Aug 2019 22:55

72 bus [quote="Would he do as well in a 442? Would we drop Miazga if we reverted to this?

On current form we would probably drop Moore[/quote]

Would leave full back areas exposed. Nor are we currently blessed with wingers.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Aug 2019 09:50

Lower West
72 bus [quote="Would he do as well in a 442? Would we drop Miazga if we reverted to this?

On current form we would probably drop Moore

Would leave full back areas exposed. Nor are we currently blessed with wingers.[/quote]

Is Blackett still injured? Yiadom is a better fullback than winger, the opposite is true of Richards but we still have Meite, Olise, Barrett, Boye who can play on the wings. I don’t think it would be a problem.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Aug 2019 10:09

2 world wars, 1 world cup Totally throwing it out there having only ever started one game central defence, but is there not a huge difference playing in a pair compared to a threesome?

Three defenders is a lovely situation to be playing in surely. Two, like most, and that's something entirely different surely.

Just a guess though because i know if the wingbacks are up the pitch it's basically 3 of you instead of 4., so this is a genuine question. Would he do as well in a 442? Would we drop Miazga if we reverted to this?

The way we seem to be doing it is really pretty good esp when we have the ball - if you look at it Morrison stays central at all times whilst one of Moore or Miazga/McIntyre drift over to their touchline to add cover to the wing-back - so Yiadom has confidence that he is covered i caught forward - the other 2 CBs then pull in to form a normal 2 and Richards on the other wing gets back to be a convential full back whilst play is on the other flank.

It's not a million miles away from the way Sheffield United used their CBs last season just a little less adventurous in an attacking sense - not sure we'll see Moore suddenly maurauding down the flank and whipping in crosses in the final 3rd as the Sheff Utd CBs did at times last year.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Aug 2019 10:30

Stranded
2 world wars, 1 world cup Totally throwing it out there having only ever started one game central defence, but is there not a huge difference playing in a pair compared to a threesome?

The way we seem to be doing it is really pretty good esp when we have the ball - if you look at it Morrison stays central at all times whilst one of Moore or Miazga/McIntyre drift over to their touchline to add cover to the wing-back - so Yiadom has confidence that he is covered i caught forward - the other 2 CBs then pull in to form a normal 2 and Richards on the other wing gets back to be a convential full back whilst play is on the other flank.

Not least to mention Pele. His deep position means he is often marking the pass back inside from our "exposed" flanks which also allows our outer CBs to move across knowing the man running inside is still marked by 2 players.

At times its really a unit of 5. Morrison as a Sweeper, Miazga and Moore as CBs, an Anchor Man in Pele and 2 Wing Backs who both have enough pace and fitness to get back and help.

On that note I think it's time to give Yiadom a shout out for his fitness levels. He looks the fittest in the team.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 26 Aug 2019 11:33

Very true re. Yiadom - unreal ... the work he put in on Saturday in that heat was immense.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 26 Aug 2019 15:19

Royalwaster Very true re. Yiadom - unreal ... the work he put in on Saturday in that heat was immense.

Playing in the heat of Egypt for ACON probably meant Saturday felt quite chilly

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Aug 2019 15:35

The Enfield Royal71

I know that the people ITK are not ITK.

How he was signed and what Gomes thought of it is of little relevance to how he has performed.
I would suggest several people deserve credit here.
1. Morrison
2. Whoever spotted his availability and signed him up
3. Gomes for making such good use of him.
I would imagine there are plenty of signings that are a bit left field but end up working really well.

I wouldn't claim to be ITK but do happen to know someone who was on the preseason tour and was present at the team meeting where a player asked about the signing and Gomes reaction was that he only found out about it when he got a text from his son....
I reckon it's all a bit irrelevant now, it's turned out to be a cracking bit of business all round.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Aug 2019 17:58

3points
Royalwaster Very true re. Yiadom - unreal ... the work he put in on Saturday in that heat was immense.

Playing in the heat of Egypt for ACON probably meant Saturday felt quite chilly

Yeah, immense that he did so well in the cold.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Sep 2019 07:00

Made Team of the week on who scored (with Swift)

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Sep 2019 11:53

If he really was forced upon Gomes (Nameless confirming what I've said reassures me that Gomes did genuinely say that) then it goes to show that forcing players on managers isn't always a bad thing. He's been excellent for us. Birmingham fans said he was reliable but no good on the ball, but I think he's look really solid on the ball too. Maybe I'm still going by McShane standards.